• LEDs and Persistent Phosphors

From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 12 04:58:12 2023
    A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people in
    the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it definitely
    exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, not uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a laboratory grade high sensitivity instrument to
    detect any flicker.

Lots of background info here:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsphotonics.8b00979

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Phil Hobbs@21:1/5 to Fred Bloggs on Tue Sep 12 12:20:21 2023
    Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
    A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings,
    than the DC operation, but people in the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating
    intensity, which is now recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and
    it definitely exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, not uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a laboratory grade high sensitivity instrument to detect any flicker.

That’s a huge non sequitur. Optical crapola from switchers driving LEDs
    and fluorescents is a plague.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
    Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piglet@21:1/5 to Fred Bloggs on Tue Sep 12 14:14:56 2023
    On 12/09/2023 12:58, Fred Bloggs wrote:
    A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people
    in the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it
    definitely exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, not uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a laboratory grade high sensitivity
    instrument to detect any flicker.

Did you switch off at the AC mains or interrupt the feed directly to the
    LEDs - in other words is the afterglow from phosphors or internal
    capacitor discharge or maybe even both?

piglet

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com on Tue Sep 12 07:05:48 2023
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people
    in the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it
    definitely exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, not uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a laboratory grade high sensitivity

Another terrifying health hazard!

It's easy enough to get a photodiode and a scope and see light
    waveforms. Do you have an oscilloscope?

I bought a few jugs of various color glow-in-the-dark paints from
    Amazon, and pulsed them with a UV LED and scoped the optical
    waveforms. They appeared to be zero-delay, zero persistance, to around
    5 ns resolution.

I have seen a small afterglow from fluorescent tubes.

The warm-white LED spot lamp just above my desk here has zero visible afterglow.

Never sit under an Aspen tree on breezy, sunny days. The light flicker
    will kill you. Avoid all rapid eye movements, ditto sure death.
    Campfires flicker and are lethal too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com on Tue Sep 12 15:12:06 2023
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:05:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in <78r0git8l1kh3kt9qafrsvd82i0vkv3k8j@4ax.com>:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs ><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where
    they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people in
    the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now
    recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it definitely
    exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, not uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is
    definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a laboratory grade high sensitivity instrument to detect
    any flicker.

5 ns resolution.

The warm-white LED spot lamp just above my desk here has zero visible >afterglow.

I think my monitor has a LED backlight, it changes brightness all the time
    when working.
    Same for my laptop.
    But I did switch off the auto brightness feature in the laptop,
    annoying changing all the time.
    And my room LED lighting is in fact PWM controlled:
    https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/pic/ethernet_color_pic/

Some LED lights have no converter chip but run directly from AC, https://panteltje.nl/pub/LED_light_circuit_diagram_IMG_6925.JPG
    the capacitor on the left limits the current
    So any current spike will cause a flash.. and kill the LED as in my case.
    So avoid that type.
    https://panteltje.nl/pub/LED_light_fix_IMG_6918.JPG

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to Piglet on Tue Sep 12 08:39:11 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 9:15:05 AM UTC-4, Piglet wrote:
    On 12/09/2023 12:58, Fred Bloggs wrote:
    A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but
    people in the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it

Did you switch off at the AC mains or interrupt the feed directly to the LEDs - in other words is the afterglow from phosphors or internal
    capacitor discharge or maybe even both?

Turned off the mains with a standard mains toggle switch. The bulb is one those miniature candelabra types, clear, E26 base, no simulated flame or anything like that, GE or something. Hard to imagine it has anything like a storage cap in it. The
    afterglow was white for about 10 seconds, then turned color to cherry red for remaining 35 seconds.

piglet

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to John Larkin on Tue Sep 12 08:54:55 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 10:06:06 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

Powers that be could be transmitting power line signals used to control you.

5 ns resolution.

There are landscape pebbles, look like ordinary pebbles, treated with something that is charged by sunlight during the daytime and then emit light in the dark. Used for lighting pathways at night, or aquariums. Same technology is used in paving stones
    for same purpose. They're not real expensive, but definitely not cheap for the application.

The warm-white LED spot lamp just above my desk here has zero visible afterglow.

There's some human optical-brain reaction referred to as 'vibration'- creates a sensation of more or less blinding vibration in your visual perception. Looking at a starkly contrasting gingham pattern in ordinary light level, the vibration makes it
    appear blindingly bright, so much so that you need to turn away or put on sunglasses.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Tue Sep 12 09:00:16 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:05:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in
    <78r0git8l1kh3kt9q...@4ax.com>:
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs ><bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where
    they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people in
    the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now
    recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it definitely
    exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, not uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is
    definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a laboratory grade high sensitivity instrument to detect
    any flicker.

5 ns resolution.

The warm-white LED spot lamp just above my desk here has zero visible >afterglow.

Never sit under an Aspen tree on breezy, sunny days. The light flicker >will kill you. Avoid all rapid eye movements, ditto sure death.
    I think my monitor has a LED backlight, it changes brightness all the time when working.
    Same for my laptop.
    And my room LED lighting is in fact PWM controlled: https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/pic/ethernet_color_pic/

Some of these high end light fixtures that program intensity and color temperature of the light source are ridiculously expensive.

Some LED lights have no converter chip but run directly from AC, https://panteltje.nl/pub/LED_light_circuit_diagram_IMG_6925.JPG
    So avoid that type.

Except for the susceptibility to being destroyed, that looks like a pretty good circuit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fred Bloggs@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Tue Sep 12 09:42:06 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:05:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs ><bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

any flicker.

5 ns resolution.

Never sit under an Aspen tree on breezy, sunny days. The light flicker >will kill you. Avoid all rapid eye movements, ditto sure death.
    I think my monitor has a LED backlight, it changes brightness all the time when working.
    Same for my laptop.
    And my room LED lighting is in fact PWM controlled: https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/pic/ethernet_color_pic/

So avoid that type.

This Chinese special looks a little more robust:

https://ledask.com/ezoimgfmt/www.ourpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/QQ%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20210819113943.jpg

Almost incoherent write-up here:

https://ledask.com/led-bulb-circuit/

No wonder their crummy bulbs flicker.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com on Tue Sep 12 10:03:07 2023
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 08:54:55 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 10:06:06?AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 04:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
    <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliability, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but
    people in the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawback of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was just scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it

Powers that be could be transmitting power line signals used to control you.

5 ns resolution.

There are landscape pebbles, look like ordinary pebbles, treated with something that is charged by sunlight during the daytime and then emit light in the dark. Used for lighting pathways at night, or aquariums. Same technology is used in paving stones
    for same purpose. They're not real expensive, but definitely not cheap for the application.

Strontium aluminate is fabulous, way way better than the old zinc
    sulfide stuff.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com on Wed Sep 13 04:53:05 2023
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 09:42:06 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in <22db2f57-f72d-4cfb-a208-8d6d7aa7d055n@googlegroups.com>:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje =
    wrote:
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:05:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin=

<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in

A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot = >of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where
    they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliabili= >ty, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people in
    the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawbac= >k of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now
    recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was ju= >st scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it definitely
    exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, no= >t uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is
    definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a=
    laboratory grade high sensitivity instrument to detect
    any flicker.

waveforms. They appeared to be zero-delay, zero persistance, to around=

5 ns resolution.

The warm-white LED spot lamp just above my desk here has zero visible
    afterglow.

Never sit under an Aspen tree on breezy, sunny days. The light flicker=

I think my monitor has a LED backlight, it changes brightness all the tim= >e
    when working.
    Same for my laptop.

Some LED lights have no converter chip but run directly from AC,
    https://panteltje.nl/pub/LED_light_circuit_diagram_IMG_6925.JPG
    So any current spike will cause a flash.. and kill the LED as in my case.=

So avoid that type.

This Chinese special looks a little more robust:

https://ledask.com/ezoimgfmt/www.ourpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/QQ%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20210819113943.jpg

Yes, adding the electrolytics and R2 R3 should remove most mains surges.
    My model from China had none....

Almost incoherent write-up here:

https://ledask.com/led-bulb-circuit/

Yes

No wonder their crummy bulbs flicker.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com on Wed Sep 13 04:56:27 2023
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 09:00:16 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in <ffc7e88d-e230-412b-bdc7-deed60850abcn@googlegroups.com>:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje =
    wrote:
    On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:05:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin=

<jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in

A LED is not just a light emitting semi junction, there is quite a lot = >of physics and chemistry involved. I'm not sure where
    they're getting AC LED operation promises greater efficiency, reliabili= >ty, and cost savings, than the DC operation, but people in
    the industry have reached this conclusion. AC operation has the drawbac= >k of flicker, fluctuating intensity, which is now
    recognized as a health hazard, so it must be reduced/eliminated. Was ju= >st scoping out a small mains powered bulb, and it definitely
    exhibited an afterglow of a full 45 seconds after power was removed, no= >t uniform across a bulb population, but close enough. It is
    definitely using persistent phosphors. Needless to say one would need a=
    laboratory grade high sensitivity instrument to detect
    any flicker.

waveforms. They appeared to be zero-delay, zero persistance, to around=

5 ns resolution.

The warm-white LED spot lamp just above my desk here has zero visible
    afterglow.

Never sit under an Aspen tree on breezy, sunny days. The light flicker=

I think my monitor has a LED backlight, it changes brightness all the tim= >e
    when working.
    Same for my laptop.

Some of these high end light fixtures that program intensity and color temp= >erature of the light source are ridiculously expensive.

Some LED lights have no converter chip but run directly from AC,
    https://panteltje.nl/pub/LED_light_circuit_diagram_IMG_6925.JPG
    So any current spike will cause a flash.. and kill the LED as in my case.=

So avoid that type.

Except for the susceptibility to being destroyed, that looks like a pretty = >good circuit.

Yes it was, for a few weeks, until the mains surge..
    I had 2, the other one went the same way.
    Were cheap ones from ebay.
    Mains was full of spikes where I lived then, bit better here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05