• Technical Manual

From Ricky@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 18 14:05:28 2022
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the test program.
    In particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and the signals
    expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this might not be the best place to ask.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lasse Langwadt Christensen@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 18 14:19:41 2022
    onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the test program.
    In particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and the signals
    expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this might not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ricky@21:1/5 to lang...@fonz.dk on Wed May 18 14:27:35 2022
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the test
    program. In particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and the
    signals expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

windows or linux?

Windows

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lasse Langwadt Christensen@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 18 14:49:49 2022
    onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the test
    program. In particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and the
    signals expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

windows or linux?
    Windows

if you can execute a system command like "start filename.html" it should open filename.html in the default browser
    (or bring bring up the chose application menu)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ricky@21:1/5 to lang...@fonz.dk on Wed May 18 15:04:07 2022
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:

windows or linux?
    Windows

if you can execute a system command like "start filename.html" it should open filename.html in the default browser

Is "start" an actual command? I think I understand what you mean. Like the file was double clicked in Windows, it would be opened by the default browser... even Microsoft Edge. I'll ask in the Forth group how to run a file. Thanks

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Coon@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 18 23:37:16 2022
    In article <148d5858-cd8e-484b-9d77-ff0343a26acen@googlegroups.com>, gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com says...

windows or linux?

Windows

Before I retired (10+ years ago) I was testing some HTTP client s/w by
    using, IIRC, Microsoft IIS to serve up HTML to it using a freebie
    interceptor the name of which I have not yet remembered. It was an
    ordinary dictionary word, I think, not invented or acronym...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to Ricky on Thu May 19 11:11:32 2022
    On 19/5/22 8:04 am, Ricky wrote:

windows or linux?
    Windows

Is "start" an actual command?

It is, but I think it is a built-in of CMD.EXE. Powershell may have a
    different version.

It looks up the default double-click action in the registry for that
    file type. You can give it options to simulate other actions, like "do
    whatever is configured for right-click Edit".

There is also a C API that does the same thing for you.

However, because of default security settings of some browsers, starting
    a file.html won't necessarily load or run the associated Javascript
    files. This depends on the browser and operating system. Test it, but if
    you have a problem you might need to incorporate a tiny HTTP server.

Clifford Heath

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ricky@21:1/5 to Clifford Heath on Wed May 18 22:22:00 2022
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 9:11:41 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:

windows or linux?
    Windows

It is, but I think it is a built-in of CMD.EXE. Powershell may have a different version.

file type. You can give it options to simulate other actions, like "do whatever is configured for right-click Edit".

Yes, I looked it up and START does exactly what I want. I can run that using CMD which I'm pretty sure I can invoke from my program. I just need to make sure I don't create any infinite loops with that in it! lol I'd hate to have my computer crash
    from an infinite number of new command line programs running. lol

Thanks.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to Ricky on Thu May 19 16:51:10 2022
    On 19/5/22 3:22 pm, Ricky wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:

windows or linux?
    Windows

different version.

Yes, I looked it up and START does exactly what I want. I can run that using CMD which I'm pretty sure I can invoke from my program. I just need to make sure I don't create any infinite loops with that in it! lol I'd hate to have my computer crash

I believe there's an API that does the same thing without having to make
    a new process or execute CMD, but I'd have to go searching some old code
    for an example.

Clifford Heath

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ricky@21:1/5 to Clifford Heath on Thu May 19 00:17:31 2022
    On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 2:51:18 AM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:

windows or linux?
    Windows

different version.

However, because of default security settings of some browsers, starting >> a file.html won't necessarily load or run the associated Javascript
    files. This depends on the browser and operating system. Test it, but if >> you have a problem you might need to incorporate a tiny HTTP server.

for an example.

As soon as you say API, I assume you are talking about something in C. I'm not using C, so running a command through a Windows call is fine. In fact, I have example code for that, which is excellent. I need to get something going quickly, only a
    couple of weeks or so to make it useful, then I can guild the lily further.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to Ricky on Thu May 19 22:55:25 2022
    On 19/5/22 5:17 pm, Ricky wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:

windows or linux?
    Windows

different version.

file type. You can give it options to simulate other actions, like "do >>>> whatever is configured for right-click Edit".

However, because of default security settings of some browsers, starting >>>> a file.html won't necessarily load or run the associated Javascript
    files. This depends on the browser and operating system. Test it, but if >>>> you have a problem you might need to incorporate a tiny HTTP server.

for an example.

As soon as you say API, I assume you are talking about something in C.

Surely your Forth can load a DLL and call any function inside it,
    especially if it only take a single string as an parameter? That's
    pretty basic stuff I would expect from any scripting language...

CH.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rbowman@21:1/5 to Clifford Heath on Thu May 19 07:48:19 2022
    On 05/19/2022 12:51 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk
    wrote:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would
    provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was
    originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but >>>>>>>> also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the test >>>>>>>> program. In particular, for each type of failure, it would point >>>>>>>> to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of
    the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The
    test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the
    detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit >>>>>>>> harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and the
    signals expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a >>>>>>>> way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser >>>>>>>> on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware
    group, this might not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

if you can execute a system command like "start filename.html" it
    should open filename.html in the default browser

different version.

However, because of default security settings of some browsers, starting >>> a file.html won't necessarily load or run the associated Javascript
    files. This depends on the browser and operating system. Test it, but if >>> you have a problem you might need to incorporate a tiny HTTP server.

Yes, I looked it up and START does exactly what I want. I can run
    that using CMD which I'm pretty sure I can invoke from my program. I
    just need to make sure I don't create any infinite loops with that in
    it! lol I'd hate to have my computer crash from an infinite number
    of new command line programs running. lol

for an example.

Clifford Heath

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/

There are a number of functions to create processes or threads and
    manage them.

At one time you could use the IE COM interface to control it. I haven't
    used Forth in years but it was fairly easy in Pytnon. Chrome can be
    automated with the new WebDriver but it's more complex.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ricky@21:1/5 to Clifford Heath on Thu May 19 08:18:31 2022
    On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 8:55:33 AM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 9:11:41 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote: >>>> On 19/5/22 8:04 am, Ricky wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the
    test program. In particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and
    the signals expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

windows or linux?
    Windows

It is, but I think it is a built-in of CMD.EXE. Powershell may have a >>>> different version.

It looks up the default double-click action in the registry for that >>>> file type. You can give it options to simulate other actions, like "do >>>> whatever is configured for right-click Edit".

a file.html won't necessarily load or run the associated Javascript >>>> files. This depends on the browser and operating system. Test it, but if
    you have a problem you might need to incorporate a tiny HTTP server. >>>
    I believe there's an API that does the same thing without having to make >> a new process or execute CMD, but I'd have to go searching some old code >> for an example.

Ok, what would be an example of that? Do you know of any code that does that? I don't.

Forth does many, many things. I am limited to using the things I know of and know how to use. The basic language is a basic language. It is up to the designer of the Forth implementation to provide the various bells and whistles.

Do you have documentation for the API you are talking about? I have no problem with using a CMD approach. None, in fact, it can be very advantageous to separate the testing, the generation of the HTML and the display of the HTML.

That's my thinking anyway. If you have more information, I'm happy to listen.

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don@21:1/5 to Lasse Langwadt Christensen on Thu May 19 16:07:08 2022
    Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
    skrev Ricky:
    lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
    skrev Ricky:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a
    means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for
    it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would
    provide detailed debug info for the test program. In particular, for
    each type of failure, it would point to various test points for
    probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test
    program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed
    instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring
    up the images showing where to probe and the signals expected in the
    console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser
    page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser on the
    same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this might
    not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

if you can execute a system command like "start filename.html" it should
    open filename.html in the default browser

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" "C:\Program Files\PCHealthCheck\ux\resources\de\license.html"

Danke,

--
    Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
    There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
    She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to Don on Fri May 20 12:52:08 2022
    On 20/5/22 2:07 am, Don wrote:
    Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
    skrev Ricky:
    lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
    skrev Ricky:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a >>>>> means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for >>>>> it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would
    provide detailed debug info for the test program. In particular, for >>>>> each type of failure, it would point to various test points for

instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring >>>>> up the images showing where to probe and the signals expected in the >>>>> console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser >>>>> page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser on the >>>>> same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this might >>>>> not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

if you can execute a system command like "start filename.html" it should
    open filename.html in the default browser

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" "C:\Program Files\PCHealthCheck\ux\resources\de\license.html"

That uses Edge, not the users default browser. You need to use
    ShellExecute to get the default browser.

CH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to Ricky on Fri May 20 12:50:59 2022
    On 20/5/22 1:18 am, Ricky wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 9:11:41 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote: >>>>>> On 19/5/22 8:04 am, Ricky wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>>>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that would provide detailed debug info for the
    test program. In particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in. The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up the images showing where to probe and
    the signals expected in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to a browser page to display this?

windows or linux?
    Windows

It is, but I think it is a built-in of CMD.EXE. Powershell may have a >>>>>> different version.

It looks up the default double-click action in the registry for that >>>>>> file type. You can give it options to simulate other actions, like "do >>>>>> whatever is configured for right-click Edit".

However, because of default security settings of some browsers, starting >>>>>> a file.html won't necessarily load or run the associated Javascript >>>>>> files. This depends on the browser and operating system. Test it, but if >>>>>> you have a problem you might need to incorporate a tiny HTTP server. >>>>>
    I believe there's an API that does the same thing without having to make >>>> a new process or execute CMD, but I'd have to go searching some old code >>>> for an example.

Ok, what would be an example of that? Do you know of any code that does that? I don't.

Forth does many, many things. I am limited to using the things I know of and know how to use. The basic language is a basic language. It is up to the designer of the Forth implementation to provide the various bells and whistles.

Do you have documentation for the API you are talking about? I have no problem with using a CMD approach. None, in fact, it can be very advantageous to separate the testing, the generation of the HTML and the display of the HTML.

This was the API I was thinking of: <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/shellapi/nf-shellapi-shellexecutea>

It's defined in shell32.dll. I would expect that most scripting
    languages could be told to open that DLL, find that named entry point,
    and construct a function call frame using the required parameters (two integers, four C strings). This kind of dynamic loading and function
    call is pretty basic stuff. Sometimes it's implemented using an "FFI"
    layer - see if your Forth supports FFI. There are "interesting" APIs
    that are hard to support using FFI, but this one is very simple.

Another way would be if you can add a small C extension to define a ShellExecute word for your Forth.

Clifford Heath.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jasen Betts@21:1/5 to Ricky on Fri May 20 12:01:51 2022
    On 2022-05-18, Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

yeah, in windows it's something like

system('start filename.htm');

in linux

system('xdg-open filename.html')

--
    Jasen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From none) (albert@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Mon May 30 20:47:21 2022
    In article <773144ee-10a6-4fc0-8812-8df6ccd54436n@googlegroups.com>,
    Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >> >>>>>> onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.27.40 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4,
    lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would >provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally
    planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that
    would provide detailed debug info for the test program. In particular,
    for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for

I'm thinking of the medium that this would be easiest in.
    The test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed >instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up
    the images showing where to probe and the signals expected in the
    page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a
    browser on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware
    group, this might not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

if you can execute a system command like "start filename.html"
    it should open filename.html in the default browser

It is, but I think it is a built-in of CMD.EXE. Powershell may have a >> >>>> different version.

file type. You can give it options to simulate other actions, like "do >> >>>> whatever is configured for right-click Edit".

Yes, I looked it up and START does exactly what I want. I can run
    that using CMD which I'm pretty sure I can invoke from my program. I
    just need to make sure I don't create any infinite loops with that in
    it! lol I'd hate to have my computer crash from an infinite number of
    new command line programs running. lol
    I believe there's an API that does the same thing without having to make >> >> a new process or execute CMD, but I'd have to go searching some old code >> >> for an example.

Ok, what would be an example of that? Do you know of any code that does >that? I don't.

Forth does many, many things. I am limited to using the things I know
    of and know how to use. The basic language is a basic language. It is
    up to the designer of the Forth implementation to provide the various
    bells and whistles.

Do you have documentation for the API you are talking about? I have no >problem with using a CMD approach. None, in fact, it can be very >advantageous to separate the testing, the generation of the HTML and the >display of the HTML.

Check out ciforth. It runs any subroutine on any dll that is present
    on your machine.
    https://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst/wina.html
    You can inspect the example of midi events. (openmidi sendmidi closemidi).
    If you are not happy with ciforth, you can even copy the source implementation for win32forth.
    Read the sections DLL and DLL-calls-internal in
    https://github.com/albertvanderhorst/ciforth/wiki

Documentation on this level about dll's is hard to come by, however.
    There are datastructures defined in C, that must be passed around.

--

Rick C.

Groetjes Albert
    --
    "in our communism country Viet Nam, people are forced to be
    alive and in the western country like US, people are free to
    die from Covid 19 lol" duc ha
    albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From none) (albert@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Mon May 30 20:32:10 2022
    In article <d93b170a-c892-4682-a261-8b116333b8d2n@googlegroups.com>,
    provide a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally
    planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that
    would provide detailed debug info for the test program. In particular,

test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed >instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up
    the images showing where to probe and the signals expected in the
    page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser
    on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this
    might not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

Is "start" an actual command? I think I understand what you mean. Like
    the file was double clicked in Windows, it would be opened by the
    default browser... even Microsoft Edge. I'll ask in the Forth group how
    to run a file. Thanks

In MS-Windows.
    If I associate a .txt file with a particular editor,
    the editor is opened with this file if I state the name of the text
    file on the command prompt.
    I would expect the same happens if you associate a .html file with
    a browser.

(A unix shell could do the same, if a html is marked executable,
    they could start the preferred mime association. There is no
    such shell as far as I know.)

Caveat, the last MS-Windows I use is Windows XP. Maybe it has changed
    in the meantime.

--

Rick C.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ricky@21:1/5 to none albert on Mon May 30 12:09:56 2022
    On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 2:32:19 PM UTC-4, none albert wrote:
    In article <d93b170a-c892-4682...@googlegroups.com>,
    Ricky <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >> > > onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that >would provide detailed debug info for the test program. In particular,
    for each type of failure, it would point to various test points for >probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be expected.

test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed >instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up >the images showing where to probe and the signals expected in the
    page to display this?

on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this >might not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

Is "start" an actual command? I think I understand what you mean. Like
    the file was double clicked in Windows, it would be opened by the
    to run a file. Thanks
    In MS-Windows.
    a browser.

Caveat, the last MS-Windows I use is Windows XP. Maybe it has changed
    in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply. I've decided it is not so important to link the debug instructions with the test program. The debug process for anything in the audio paths is pretty much the same, so one large HTML file with lots of images of schematic and PWB
    layouts showing where to probe.

I still have the rest of the board (purely digital) to do, so that is next. Two files that cover pretty much anything that goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jasen Betts@21:1/5 to albert@cherry on Tue May 31 08:05:39 2022
    On 2022-05-30, albert@cherry.(none) (albert) <albert@cherry> wrote:
    In article <d93b170a-c892-4682-a261-8b116333b8d2n@googlegroups.com>,
    On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 5:19:46 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: >>> > > onsdag den 18. maj 2022 kl. 23.05.33 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
    planning for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that >>would provide detailed debug info for the test program. In particular,

test program is in Forth on a PC and could incorporate the detailed >>instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to bring up >>the images showing where to probe and the signals expected in the
    page to display this?

on the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group, this >>might not be the best place to ask.

windows or linux?
    Windows

Is "start" an actual command? I think I understand what you mean. Like >>the file was double clicked in Windows, it would be opened by the
    to run a file. Thanks

In MS-Windows.
    a browser.

Ah, no. executable launching is mediated by the operating system
    (execve() system call), not by a shell, and it does not use mime
    to pick the interpreter (if one is needed).

OTOH xdg-open uses mime.

--
    Jasen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From none) (albert@21:1/5 to usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org on Sun Jun 12 10:52:06 2022
    In article <t74i8j$snl$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>,
    Jasen Betts <usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org> wrote:
    On 2022-05-30, albert@cherry.(none) (albert) <albert@cherry> wrote:
    In MS-Windows.
    a browser.

Ah, no. executable launching is mediated by the operating system
    (execve() system call), not by a shell, and it does not use mime
    to pick the interpreter (if one is needed).

Sure? A shell passes a file to the execve shell.
    It would be small potatoes to inspect the first few characters
    for '#!' and '.ELF' and then go by the extension instead
    using mime, provided the file is marked executable.

OTOH xdg-open uses mime.

I used
    mime x.pdf
    but an inconvenient menu appears.

xdg-open x.pdf
    opens the files without hassle.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately
    firefox lina.html#DROP
    opens the doc file at the subject DROP.
    Via xdg-open it doesn't succeed.
    [It can be argued that the # is an awful hack that has no
    place in an command shell.]

--
    Jasen.

Groetjes Albert
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joerg@21:1/5 to Ricky on Mon Jun 13 12:58:02 2022
    On 5/18/22 2:05 PM, Ricky wrote:

In the 90's we did this. Designed an ultrasound machine that ran on a PC
    and if the user needed any read-up it came up as HTML in the browser. At
    first the OS was QNX and later this got ported to Windows NT4.0. I don't
    know about modern Windows anymore because personally I switched to
    Linux. It's the same there, lots of software and HW-control routines
    open the help files in the broweer upon request, as HTML.

--
    Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeroen Belleman@21:1/5 to Joerg on Mon Jun 13 23:40:12 2022
    On 2022-06-13 21:58, Joerg wrote:
    On 5/18/22 2:05 PM, Ricky wrote:
    I need to prepare some sort of technical manual that would provide
    a means of debugging a particular board. I was originally planning
    for it to contain a theory of operation, but also a guide that
    would provide detailed debug info for the test program. In
    particular, for each type of failure, it would point to various
    test points for probing and indicate the nature of the signal to be
    expected.

instructions and the decision tree. It might be a bit harder to
    bring up the images showing where to probe and the signals expected
    in the console. But I'm wondering if there's a way to send HTML to
    a browser page to display this?

Anyone familiar with one application sending HTML to a browser on
    the same machine? I guess this being more of a hardware group,
    this might not be the best place to ask.

In the 90's we did this. Designed an ultrasound machine that ran on a
    PC and if the user needed any read-up it came up as HTML in the
    browser. At first the OS was QNX and later this got ported to Windows
    NT4.0. I don't know about modern Windows anymore because personally I switched to Linux. It's the same there, lots of software and
    HW-control routines open the help files in the broweer upon request,
    as HTML.

It's simple enough: Just refer your browser to an URL like file:///path/to/desired/html/file.

Jeroen Belleman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05