• some BFP640 SiGe measurements

    From John Larkin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 29 10:40:05 2022
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.


    --

    If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
    but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology. on Fri Apr 29 10:46:32 2022
    On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700, John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote:


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.


    The 1 ma jd's are close to those of a BFT25.

    --

    If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
    but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dimiter_Popoff@21:1/5 to John Larkin on Fri Apr 29 21:43:30 2022
    On 4/29/2022 20:40, John Larkin wrote:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.



    Hah! Thanks for mentioning the diode thing, I may eventually build
    a pulse generator using it, needed something like that for a switch.
    (Don't hold your breath, it's been decades so far :).

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 29 12:20:29 2022
    On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:43:30 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
    wrote:

    On 4/29/2022 20:40, John Larkin wrote:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.



    Hah! Thanks for mentioning the diode thing, I may eventually build
    a pulse generator using it, needed something like that for a switch.
    (Don't hold your breath, it's been decades so far :).

    I want to do a benchtop pulse generator, but it would be a lot of
    work. It would have to be fast (at least 1 GHz rate, 100 ps edges, 5
    volts at least) to be profitable; the slower stuff is cheap.

    A fast fpga SERDES could generate many channels, patterns even, but
    the outputs would be clock quantized.

    I have some data on the MiniCircuits SAV series phemts, as switches,
    if that's interesting. S-params are not useful in switching
    applications.

    --

    If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
    but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Phil Hobbs@21:1/5 to John Larkin on Fri Apr 29 21:07:51 2022
    John Larkin wrote:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.


    The Early voltage is right around 250V, and the beta is about 250 as
    well. It's pretty flat with collector current--it doesn't tank at low
    I_C the way old time RF transistors often did.

    Too-slow measurements often show the collector curves sloping the wrong
    way due to thermal effects, so that the Early voltage might even seem to
    have the wrong sign. If you do the measurement fast enough, though, it
    comes in at V_A ~ 250V. That's incredible for a 40+ GHz transistor that
    costs 20 cents in reels.

    Cheers

    Phil Hobbs

    --
    Dr Philip C D Hobbs
    Principal Consultant
    ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
    Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
    Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

    http://electrooptical.net
    http://hobbs-eo.com

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gerhard Hoffmann@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 03:04:26 2022
    Am 29.04.22 um 21:20 schrieb John Larkin:
    On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:43:30 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
    wrote:

    On 4/29/2022 20:40, John Larkin wrote:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.


    A customer of mine used an ultrasonics microscope, long time ago.

    The Infineon spice model has the effect of bond wires etc,
    separated from the bare chip.

    Oh, and 1/f also. What unusual luxury!

    And under which conditions the spice model delivers correct s-parameters!

    Someone must have done his homework in Munich.


    Hah! Thanks for mentioning the diode thing, I may eventually build
    a pulse generator using it, needed something like that for a switch.
    (Don't hold your breath, it's been decades so far :).

    I want to do a benchtop pulse generator, but it would be a lot of
    work. It would have to be fast (at least 1 GHz rate, 100 ps edges, 5
    volts at least) to be profitable; the slower stuff is cheap.

    A fast fpga SERDES could generate many channels, patterns even, but
    the outputs would be clock quantized.

    I have some data on the MiniCircuits SAV series phemts, as switches,
    if that's interesting. S-params are not useful in switching
    applications.

    Of course, they are. Some network analyzers can do the FFT
    voodoo per push botton to convert between time & frequency
    domain.

    Gerhard



    ***************************************************************
    * Infineon Technologies AG GUMMEL-POON Transistor MODEL IN SPICE 2G6
    SYNTAX
    * BFP640 Model in SOT343 Incuding 1/f Noise Model and Temperature
    Model June 2002 ***************************************************************
    * For DC-simulations, the parameter set is valid in the temperature
    range from T = -25 °C upto T = 125 °C.
    * The AC-behaviour is correctly simulated only at T = 25 °C. In order
    to simulate S-Parameters at T = -25 °C resp.
    * T = 125 °C, the parameter ITF of the main transistor must be
    modified by the following equation:
    *
    * ITF(T) = ITF(To) * ( 1 - 6.5e-3 * (T-To) + 1.0e-5 * (T-To)^2 )
    * To = 25 °C
    *
    * This means:
    * -------------------------------
    * ITF(-25 °C) = 1.35 * ITF(25 °C)
    * ITF(125 °C) = 0.45 * ITF(25 °C)
    *
    * If in Parameter Set available set:
    * TITF1 = -6.5e-3
    * TITF2 = 1.0e-5 **************************************************************
    * BFP640
    *
    *.OPTION TNOM = 25, GMIN = 1.0E-12
    *
    * BFP640 C B E
    .SUBCKT BFP640 1 2 3
    X1 22 11 33 2 1 3 SOT343_BFP640
    X2 11 22 33 CHIP_BFP640
    .ENDS BFP640
    **************************************************************
    * Chip parasitics BFP640
    *
    * CHIP_BFP640 C B E
    .SUBCKT CHIP_BFP640 1 2 3
    Q1 10 20 30 4 M_BFP640
    CBEC 20 30 9.840E-14
    CBCC 20 10 5.593E-14
    LBC 2 20 1.200E-10
    LCC 1 10 1.200E-10
    LEC 3 30 2.000E-11
    CES 3 33 1.800E-13
    CBS 2 22 7.900E-14
    CCS 1 11 7.500E-14
    RBS 4 22 1.200E+03
    RCS 4 11 1.200E+03
    RES 4 33 3.000E+02
    .ENDS CHIP_BFP640 **************************************************************
    * Package Model SOT343 for BFP640
    *
    * SOT343_BFP640 Bi Ci Ei Bo Co Eo
    .SUBCKT SOT343_BFP640 1 2 3 10 20 30
    LBB 1 10 0.6962E-9
    LCB 2 20 0.6824E-9
    LEB 3 30 0.2306E-9
    CCEO 20 30 131.2E-15
    CBEO 30 10 102.5E-15
    CCEI 2 3 112.6E-15
    CBEI 3 1 180.4E-15
    .ENDS SOT343_BFP640 **************************************************************
    * BJT Model SOT343 for BFP640
    *
    .MODEL M_BFP640 NPN(
    + IS = 2.200E-16
    + NF = 1.025E+00
    + BF = 4.500E+02
    + NE = 2.000E+00
    + ISE = 2.100E-14
    + NR = 1.000E+00
    + BR = 5.500E+01
    + NC = 1.800E+00
    + ISC = 4.000E-13
    + VAF = 1.000E+03
    + VAR = 2.000E+00
    + IKF = 1.500E-01
    + IKR = 3.800E-03
    + RB = 3.129E+00
    + RBM = 2.707E+00
    + IRB = 1.522E-03
    + RE = 6.000E-01
    + RC = 3.061E+00
    + XTB =-1.420E+00
    + EG = 1.078E+00
    + XTI = 3.000E+00
    + TF = 1.800E-12
    + VTF = 1.500E+00
    + XTF = 1.000E+01
    + ITF = 4.000E-01
    + CJE = 2.276E-13
    + VJE = 8.000E-01
    + MJE = 3.000E-01
    + CJC = 6.743E-14
    + VJC = 6.000E-01
    + MJC = 5.000E-01
    + XCJC = 1.000E+00
    + CJS = 9.335E-14
    + VJS = 6.000E-01
    + MJS = 2.700E-01
    + FC = 8.000E-01
    + TR = 2.000E-10
    + PTF = 0.000E+00
    + AF = 2.000E+00
    + KF = 7.291E-11
    + TNOM = 25)

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology. on Sat Apr 30 06:36:03 2022
    On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in <dc8o6hpc2pges9sqe5bu71at2g531pg17o@4ax.com>:


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.

    Does not seem so much different from other RF NPN in satellite LNBs?
    Millions of those around.
    ?

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com@21:1/5 to pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com on Sat Apr 30 07:33:46 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:36:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin ><jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in ><dc8o6hpc2pges9sqe5bu71at2g531pg17o@4ax.com>:


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0

    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.

    Does not seem so much different from other RF NPN in satellite LNBs?
    Millions of those around.
    ?

    The SiGe's are just 2x or 3x faster than regular rf bipolars.

    I just figured that I should get some and play with them. Maybe
    explore saturation and switching, and build an oscillator maybe. Can't
    design with tubes forever.



    --

    Anybody can count to one.

    - Robert Widlar

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Sat Apr 30 15:02:22 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:33:46 -0700) it happened jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in <qvhq6htpluaun4ka3v0u07p9tmanusip7p@4ax.com>:

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:36:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin >><jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in >><dc8o6hpc2pges9sqe5bu71at2g531pg17o@4ax.com>:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.

    Does not seem so much different from other RF NPN in satellite LNBs? >>Millions of those around.
    ?

    The SiGe's are just 2x or 3x faster than regular rf bipolars.

    I just figured that I should get some and play with them. Maybe
    explore saturation and switching, and build an oscillator maybe. Can't
    design with tubes forever.

    I was looking at the noise level, very important for LNBs..
    Indeed would be fun to to test a few,
    been working in the garden for hours, did put a peach seed in the ground in a sunny place,
    wonder if it will grow into a tree.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com@21:1/5 to pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com on Sat Apr 30 08:51:18 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:02:22 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:33:46 -0700) it happened >jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in ><qvhq6htpluaun4ka3v0u07p9tmanusip7p@4ax.com>:

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:36:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin >>><jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in >>><dc8o6hpc2pges9sqe5bu71at2g531pg17o@4ax.com>:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the >>>>tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.

    Does not seem so much different from other RF NPN in satellite LNBs? >>>Millions of those around.
    ?

    The SiGe's are just 2x or 3x faster than regular rf bipolars.

    I just figured that I should get some and play with them. Maybe
    explore saturation and switching, and build an oscillator maybe. Can't >>design with tubes forever.

    I was looking at the noise level, very important for LNBs..
    Indeed would be fun to to test a few,
    been working in the garden for hours, did put a peach seed in the ground in a sunny place,
    wonder if it will grow into a tree.

    We have a wonderful Meyer lemon tree in our tiny back yard. Neignbors
    drop in when they need a lemon or two, and a couple are trying to
    clone it from seeds or cuttings.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgmvedhuhsn76x3/Mo_and_lemons.jpg?raw=1

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f5ux77p6o12w7k/Lemon-pumpkin.jpg?raw=1

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwzfbkv1ua41p9i/Lemons_Post-Rat.JPG?raw=1

    Our side of our street slopes down to the south, so we get sun... when
    it's not foggy like today. The people across the street have dark dank
    mouldy back yards where things don't grow well.

    These people across the street have a spiral staircase leading to
    their small farm on top the cliff, where they have sun. He brews beer
    too.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7ji04b7mfj0pt5/Arbor_Small_Farm.jpg?raw=1

    It took a big crew and a giant crane to lift the steel staircase over
    the house into the back yard. The payback in veggies is probably 300
    years or so.



    --

    Anybody can count to one.

    - Robert Widlar

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Sat Apr 30 16:49:50 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:51:18 -0700) it happened jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in <tglq6h13k2cmildj7d58egf57tqfotprhc@4ax.com>:

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:02:22 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:33:46 -0700) it happened >>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in >><qvhq6htpluaun4ka3v0u07p9tmanusip7p@4ax.com>:

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:36:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje >>><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin >>>><jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in >>>><dc8o6hpc2pges9sqe5bu71at2g531pg17o@4ax.com>:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the >>>>>tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.

    Does not seem so much different from other RF NPN in satellite LNBs? >>>>Millions of those around.
    ?

    The SiGe's are just 2x or 3x faster than regular rf bipolars.

    I just figured that I should get some and play with them. Maybe
    explore saturation and switching, and build an oscillator maybe. Can't >>>design with tubes forever.

    I was looking at the noise level, very important for LNBs..
    Indeed would be fun to to test a few,
    been working in the garden for hours, did put a peach seed in the ground in a sunny place,
    wonder if it will grow into a tree.

    We have a wonderful Meyer lemon tree in our tiny back yard. Neignbors
    drop in when they need a lemon or two, and a couple are trying to
    clone it from seeds or cuttings.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgmvedhuhsn76x3/Mo_and_lemons.jpg?raw=1

    Nice!


    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f5ux77p6o12w7k/Lemon-pumpkin.jpg?raw=1

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwzfbkv1ua41p9i/Lemons_Post-Rat.JPG?raw=1

    Our side of our street slopes down to the south, so we get sun... when
    it's not foggy like today. The people across the street have dark dank
    mouldy back yards where things don't grow well.

    The front has always sun here, but parts of the back garden which is much larger, on the north side, only have sun in the afternoon.
    Gets better each month, but weather is a bit strange lately
    can go down to 1 degree C is predicted this week, north wind and dry,
    usually it if from the west (sea) and rains a lot.
    http://panteltje.com/pub/house_top_vie


    These people across the street have a spiral staircase leading to
    their small farm on top the cliff, where they have sun. He brews beer
    too.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7ji04b7mfj0pt5/Arbor_Small_Farm.jpg?raw=1



    It took a big crew and a giant crane to lift the steel staircase over
    the house into the back yard. The payback in veggies is probably 300
    years or so.

    Yea, I have a small road around the back.
    Grapes grow in the back of the garden.
    http://panteltje.com/pub/garden_IXIMG_0763.JPG
    lots of plants on the right side.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dimiter_Popoff@21:1/5 to John Larkin on Sat Apr 30 20:25:21 2022
    On 4/29/2022 22:20, John Larkin wrote:
    On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:43:30 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
    wrote:

    On 4/29/2022 20:40, John Larkin wrote:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.



    Hah! Thanks for mentioning the diode thing, I may eventually build
    a pulse generator using it, needed something like that for a switch.
    (Don't hold your breath, it's been decades so far :).

    I want to do a benchtop pulse generator, but it would be a lot of
    work. It would have to be fast (at least 1 GHz rate, 100 ps edges, 5
    volts at least) to be profitable; the slower stuff is cheap.

    A fast fpga SERDES could generate many channels, patterns even, but
    the outputs would be clock quantized.

    I have some data on the MiniCircuits SAV series phemts, as switches,
    if that's interesting. S-params are not useful in switching
    applications.


    My plan is not to build something we can sell, it is just for me to use.
    Could have used it some 25 years ago at least :-). The mercury wetted
    relay based pulser I put together back in 1994 or so did it, still does
    it actually (in a housing I would be ashamed to show...).
    But still, I might put in a few days and build one. The idea is to do
    two current sources (fast and precision both of them, FET opamp
    with p-fet (e.g. sst176)) charging a capacitor and diode switches to
    turn the charging on/off (say 100ns charge to 1V then leave it to
    discharge at some 50 or 100 us RC).

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 14:48:28 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:04:26 +0200, Gerhard Hoffmann <dk4xp@arcor.de>
    wrote:

    Am 29.04.22 um 21:20 schrieb John Larkin:
    On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:43:30 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
    wrote:

    On 4/29/2022 20:40, John Larkin wrote:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.


    A customer of mine used an ultrasonics microscope, long time ago.

    The Infineon spice model has the effect of bond wires etc,
    separated from the bare chip.

    Oh, and 1/f also. What unusual luxury!

    And under which conditions the spice model delivers correct s-parameters!

    Someone must have done his homework in Munich.


    Hah! Thanks for mentioning the diode thing, I may eventually build
    a pulse generator using it, needed something like that for a switch.
    (Don't hold your breath, it's been decades so far :).

    I want to do a benchtop pulse generator, but it would be a lot of
    work. It would have to be fast (at least 1 GHz rate, 100 ps edges, 5
    volts at least) to be profitable; the slower stuff is cheap.

    A fast fpga SERDES could generate many channels, patterns even, but
    the outputs would be clock quantized.

    I have some data on the MiniCircuits SAV series phemts, as switches,
    if that's interesting. S-params are not useful in switching
    applications.

    Of course, they are. Some network analyzers can do the FFT
    voodoo per push botton to convert between time & frequency
    domain.

    But that's all small-signal linear. No fun at all.



    --

    Anybody can count to one.

    - Robert Widlar

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Sun May 1 09:32:48 2022
    On 1/5/22 1:51 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:02:22 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    been working in the garden for hours, did put a peach seed in the ground in a sunny place,
    wonder if it will grow into a tree.

    We have a wonderful Meyer lemon tree in our tiny back yard. Neignbors
    drop in when they need a lemon or two, and a couple are trying to
    clone it from seeds or cuttings.

    Happiness is a happy Meyer lemon - so prolific. But you probably need to
    graft it to an appropriate root-stock. A cutting won't grow happy roots,
    and a seed won't give you a clone.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwzfbkv1ua41p9i/Lemons_Post-Rat.JPG?raw=1

    For the rats, get a 20l bucket, the tall kind that trades use. Put a bit
    of broomstick across the top with 3 bits of PVC pipe so they spin. Put
    8" of water in the bottom, raise up the handle and bait it with peanut
    butter. Rats step onto the tubes, fall in and drown. Someone near here
    got nine in just one night.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7ji04b7mfj0pt5/Arbor_Small_Farm.jpg?raw=1

    Did you intend to doxx yourself? <https://goo.gl/maps/yjoW4e8KAEhxjdEE8>

    It took a big crew and a giant crane to lift the steel staircase over
    the house into the back yard. The payback in veggies is probably 300
    years or so.

    We're also on a steep rocky slope, but the block is wide and the rock
    forms ramps - it's a long walk from the street to the furthest point,
    because you traverse the block side-to-side three times (35m wide at the
    back). It's amazingly productive though - we have over 35 kinds of food
    plants growing. It's better than weeds, at least.

    CH

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 18:35:46 2022
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 09:32:48 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 1/5/22 1:51 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:02:22 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    been working in the garden for hours, did put a peach seed in the ground in a sunny place,
    wonder if it will grow into a tree.

    We have a wonderful Meyer lemon tree in our tiny back yard. Neignbors
    drop in when they need a lemon or two, and a couple are trying to
    clone it from seeds or cuttings.

    Happiness is a happy Meyer lemon - so prolific. But you probably need to >graft it to an appropriate root-stock. A cutting won't grow happy roots,
    and a seed won't give you a clone.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwzfbkv1ua41p9i/Lemons_Post-Rat.JPG?raw=1

    We did buy it from a garden center, so it was probably grafted.


    For the rats, get a 20l bucket, the tall kind that trades use. Put a bit
    of broomstick across the top with 3 bits of PVC pipe so they spin. Put
    8" of water in the bottom, raise up the handle and bait it with peanut >butter. Rats step onto the tubes, fall in and drown. Someone near here
    got nine in just one night.

    I put an LED light near the base and that keeps them away.



    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7ji04b7mfj0pt5/Arbor_Small_Farm.jpg?raw=1

    Did you intend to doxx yourself? <https://goo.gl/maps/yjoW4e8KAEhxjdEE8>

    Well, you just did.

    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer
    visitors a beer.


    It took a big crew and a giant crane to lift the steel staircase over
    the house into the back yard. The payback in veggies is probably 300
    years or so.

    We're also on a steep rocky slope, but the block is wide and the rock
    forms ramps - it's a long walk from the street to the furthest point,
    because you traverse the block side-to-side three times (35m wide at the >back). It's amazingly productive though - we have over 35 kinds of food >plants growing. It's better than weeds, at least.

    CH

    A rocky slope is supposed to be best for earthquakes. Less sloshing,
    and the houses are anchored in the rock.



    --

    Anybody can count to one.

    - Robert Widlar

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Phil Hobbs@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Sat Apr 30 22:06:19 2022
    jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:36:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:40:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin
    <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in
    <dc8o6hpc2pges9sqe5bu71at2g531pg17o@4ax.com>:


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tgu2ozch3rbgglk/AABI3U3_iexb69UHWoRIzm-Ma?dl=0 >>>
    Interesting. The high junction drops might be the SiGe, or just the
    tiny junction size.

    It would make a decent 0.3 pF 13 volt diode.

    I might make an oscillator and evaluate phase noise/jitter.

    An x-ray would be cool. We need a high-res xray machine.

    Does not seem so much different from ovther RF NPN in satellite LNBs?
    Millions of those around.
    ?

    The SiGe's are just 2x or 3x faster than regular rf bipolars.

    I just figured that I should get some and play with them. Maybe
    explore saturation and switching, and build an oscillator maybe. Can't
    design with tubes forever.

    It's more than that--their collector impedances are much larger, so you
    can run much higher voltage gain, and their Rbb' is very very low, so
    their voltage noise is too.

    They make beautiful cascode devices for pHEMTs.

    A BLM15BA050 bead in the base lead makes them very well behaved.

    Cheers

    Phil Hobbs

    --
    Dr Philip C D Hobbs
    Principal Consultant
    ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
    Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
    Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

    http://electrooptical.net
    http://hobbs-eo.com

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Sun May 1 12:19:21 2022
    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 09:42:51 2022
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer
    visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.

    --

    If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
    but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology. on Mon May 2 17:52:02 2022
    On a sunny day (Mon, 02 May 2022 09:42:51 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in <df207hp9hsu0e6k8n421g85n3dek50bn73@4ax.com>:

    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer
    visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.

    I even have my GPS coordinates in some pictures I posted...
    :-)

    "You know who I am, you stared at thet sun,. I am the one who loves changing from nothing to one"
    "Leonard Cohen, Songs from a room"

    sigs...
    :-)

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Clifford Heath@21:1/5 to John Larkin on Tue May 3 10:41:37 2022
    On 3/5/22 2:42 am, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer
    visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.


    You're the one who posted your street name and a photo of your backyard.
    Your Meyer lemon tree is clearly visible on Google aerial imagery.

    shrug

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 19:20:04 2022
    On Tue, 3 May 2022 10:41:37 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 3/5/22 2:42 am, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer >>>> visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.


    You're the one who posted your street name and a photo of your backyard.
    Your Meyer lemon tree is clearly visible on Google aerial imagery.

    shrug

    Jerk.



    --

    Anybody can count to one.

    - Robert Widlar

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mike Monett@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Tue May 3 06:57:11 2022
    jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

    On Tue, 3 May 2022 10:41:37 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 3/5/22 2:42 am, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll
    offer visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.


    You're the one who posted your street name and a photo of your backyard. >>Your Meyer lemon tree is clearly visible on Google aerial imagery.

    shrug

    Jerk.

    Please stop responding to him. You waste our time checking your post only
    to find it is trading insults. Plonk him or whatever you have to do in
    your newsclient so you don't have to read his posts. This is an
    electronics newsgroup, not a teenage forum.



    --
    MRM

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Anthony William Sloman@21:1/5 to Mike Monett on Tue May 3 07:01:16 2022
    On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 4:57:19 PM UTC+10, Mike Monett wrote:
    jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    On Tue, 3 May 2022 10:41:37 +1000, Clifford Heath <no....@please.net> wrote:
    On 3/5/22 2:42 am, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no....@please.net> wrote:
    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll offer visitors a beer.

    But American beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    It's a trifle inappropriate when you end up offering advice, as happens here - if not all that often.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.

    You're the one who posted your street name and a photo of your backyard. >>Your Meyer lemon tree is clearly visible on Google aerial imagery.

    shrug

    Jerk.

    Please stop responding to him. You waste our time checking your post only
    to find it is trading insults. Plonk him or whatever you have to do in
    your newsclient so you don't have to read his posts. This is an
    electronics newsgroup, not a teenage forum.

    John Larkin hasn't got the excuse that he is a teenager. He's got grownup daughters.

    --
    Bill Sloman, Sydney

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 3 07:21:30 2022
    On Tue, 3 May 2022 06:57:11 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett <spamme@not.com>
    wrote:

    jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

    On Tue, 3 May 2022 10:41:37 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 3/5/22 2:42 am, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> >>>> wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll
    offer visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.


    You're the one who posted your street name and a photo of your backyard. >>>Your Meyer lemon tree is clearly visible on Google aerial imagery.

    shrug

    Jerk.

    Please stop responding to him. You waste our time checking your post only
    to find it is trading insults.

    Then plonk me too.



    --

    Anybody can count to one.

    - Robert Widlar

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mike Monett@21:1/5 to jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com on Tue May 3 18:06:47 2022
    jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

    On Tue, 3 May 2022 06:57:11 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett <spamme@not.com>
    wrote:

    jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

    On Tue, 3 May 2022 10:41:37 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
    wrote:

    On 3/5/22 2:42 am, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 12:19:21 +1000, Clifford Heath
    <no.spam@please.net> wrote:

    On 1/5/22 11:35 am, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
    I use my real name so anybody who really tries can find me. I'll >>>>>>> offer visitors a beer.

    Same. I figure anonymity is a lost cause.

    Especially when jerks want to be cute.


    You're the one who posted your street name and a photo of your >>>>backyard. Your Meyer lemon tree is clearly visible on Google aerial >>>>imagery.

    shrug

    Jerk.

    Please stop responding to him. You waste our time checking your post
    only to find it is trading insults.

    Then plonk me too.

    PLONK



    --
    MRM

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)