• Re: Ampeg V5 power transformer

From Peter W.@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 4 11:08:45 2022
    On Friday, March 4, 2022 at 1:47:59 PM UTC-5, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have a V5 here with an open primary. This uses 4X 6550 outputs and supposedly the trans is a weak link. Does anyone know of a drop-in replacement? Three secondaries: 6.3 fil drawing 7.5 amps, B+ guessing around 400 - 450V and a bias supply winding (
    not sure of voltage). Thanks.

No 5-volt rectifier winding, so a pretty basic device.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/classic/290

I see several options that bracket your numbers. Pricing looks like US$120 - US$150, or so. Looks like lead time (up to 9 weeks) may be a stumbling block.

https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/make/ampeg/ Another option. Looks a bit pricier.

The internet is your friend.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 4 10:47:55 2022
    I have a V5 here with an open primary. This uses 4X 6550 outputs and supposedly the trans is a weak link. Does anyone know of a drop-in replacement? Three secondaries: 6.3 fil drawing 7.5 amps, B+ guessing around 400 - 450V and a bias supply winding (

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 4 12:11:49 2022
    Yes, I can piece this together but was hoping there was a drop-in replacement that didn't require modifying the amp. If it were mine, I would cobble it together certainly but it's not my amp.\

Give Hammond and/or Mercury a call. I have found, by previous experience, that not every transformer is on their website, nor every model of amp.

You can derive voltages from the schematic - more-or-less. Bridge rectifier and 500 VDC caps give you a close range of secondary voltage for the B+. winding, similarly for the bias winding.

Best of luck!

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Fri Mar 4 12:01:35 2022
    On Friday, March 4, 2022 at 2:08:49 PM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
    On Friday, March 4, 2022 at 1:47:59 PM UTC-5, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    No 5-volt rectifier winding, so a pretty basic device.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/classic/290

I see several options that bracket your numbers. Pricing looks like US$120 - US$150, or so. Looks like lead time (up to 9 weeks) may be a stumbling block.

https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/make/ampeg/ Another option. Looks a bit pricier.

The internet is your friend.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

Thanks Peter, but I was actually hoping for an exact replacement and I did see both those options you linked. Guitar players are picky about the tone, and although I don't think I'd hear it, the difference in B+ might be an issue in tone and power as
    well, so I don't want to guess at what it should be. The schematic doesn't list voltages.

The Mercury option you linked has no bias winding so I'd have to add a small side trans for that, and they didn't list the filament supply current on the spec sheet. This amp runs 7.5 amps in the filament which is pretty stout. Mercury lists a trans for
    the SVT-100 which I *suspect* is the same trans, but they don't publish a spec sheet for it.

I don't see a Hammond with a 8 amp plus winding at all. The highest Hammond has that I can tell is 7 amp, and those examples ran a lot less B+. A Hammond would require a separate filament transformer.

Yes, I can piece this together but was hoping there was a drop-in replacement that didn't require modifying the amp. If it were mine, I would cobble it together certainly but it's not my amp.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Allison@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 4 14:37:28 2022
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    ======================
    I have a V5 here with an open primary.
    This uses 4X 6550 outputs and supposedly the trans is a weak link.
    Does anyone know of a drop-in replacement?
    Three secondaries:
    6.3 fil drawing 7.5 amps,
    B+ guessing around 400 - 450V and a bias supply winding (not sure of voltage).

** Connect a source of say 3-5VAC to the heater winding of your tranny.
    This should allow you to measure AC voltages for the secondary and bias windings.
    Find the ratios and scale up relative to 6.3 as needed.
    The secondary is gonna be about 325V with 0.7 amps capacity.

Hope the tubes and electros are all OK.
    6550s are pricy.

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Sat Mar 5 07:02:30 2022
    On Friday, March 4, 2022 at 5:37:33 PM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    ======================
    I have a V5 here with an open primary.
    This uses 4X 6550 outputs and supposedly the trans is a weak link.
    Does anyone know of a drop-in replacement?
    Three secondaries:
    6.3 fil drawing 7.5 amps,
    B+ guessing around 400 - 450V and a bias supply winding (not sure of voltage).

** Connect a source of say 3-5VAC to the heater winding of your tranny.
    This should allow you to measure AC voltages for the secondary and bias windings.

Hope the tubes and electros are all OK.
    6550s are pricy.

...... Phil

Good idea to back feed the secondary. If I don't find a drop-in that's what I'll do to get close to the right B+. The 4 outs and the 3 preamp tubes will draw just under 7.5 amps on the filament. What's a safe current specification for the filament
    winding?

Regarding the tubes - the guy bought a complete set of brand new matched JJ 6550 and JJ 12AX7s to fix the stone dead problem.. Oh, well. He brought in his original set which were all Chinese 6550s and a mix of Sovtek and Groove Tube 12AX7s. I didn't
    check the electros yet but from what I've read, the power transformers are known to be weak.

Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Allison@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Sat Mar 5 11:54:16 2022
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    =======================

** Connect a source of say 3-5VAC to the heater winding of your tranny. This should allow you to measure AC voltages for the secondary and bias windings.

Good idea to back feed the secondary. If I don't find a drop-in that's what I'll do to get close to the right B+. The 4 outs and the 3 preamp tubes will draw just under 7.5 amps on the filament. What's a safe current specification for the filament
    winding?

** 7 or 8 amps .

. I didn't check the electros yet

** Replacement is over due if they are originals.

but from what I've read, the power transformers are known to be weak.

** You say the primary is open - which is quite unusual.

Only time you see that is when there is an internal thermal fuse in series and the tranny reaches the critical temp.

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 7 11:55:40 2022
    On Saturday, March 5, 2022 at 2:54:20 PM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    =======================

** Connect a source of say 3-5VAC to the heater winding of your tranny. This should allow you to measure AC voltages for the secondary and bias windings.

winding?

** 7 or 8 amps .
    . I didn't check the electros yet
    ** Replacement is over due if they are originals.
    but from what I've read, the power transformers are known to be weak.
    ** You say the primary is open - which is quite unusual.

Only time you see that is when there is an internal thermal fuse in series and the tranny reaches the critical temp.

..... Phil

If there's an internal fuse, I didn't see one, and I did look. I pulled the end caps off and there aren't any junctions for one that I saw. I've replaced a few thermal fuses in home stereo amps, but there's nothing inside this one I can locate. There
    was also no sign of any significant heating or arcing/burning and no smell of any kind.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 7 12:06:25 2022
    If there's an internal fuse, I didn't see one, and I did look. I pulled the end caps off and there aren't any junctions for one that I saw. I've replaced a few thermal fuses in home stereo amps, but there's nothing inside this one I can locate. There
    was also no sign of any significant heating or arcing/burning and no smell of any kind.

Are you able to wind back and find where the visible wires are connected to the winding(s)? Might be a break there.

And, if the alternative is landfill, I have done this three (3) times, and been successful once (1- time):
    a) Obtain a high-voltage, high value capacitor (I used an aggregate value of 100uF @ 500VDC)
    b) While being exceedingly careful, charge it on your bench supply to full capacity.
    c) Discharge it across the open winding - again, using great care.

It *MIGHT* weld across the break. I was successful, in actuality, twice as far as the Ohm-meter measured. But failure was quick (not instant) when 'real' voltage was applied in one case. In the other, the transformer remains in regular, but not frequent
    service in a small tube power-amp (primary).

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Mon Mar 7 13:01:31 2022
    On Monday, March 7, 2022 at 3:06:29 PM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
    Are you able to wind back and find where the visible wires are connected to the winding(s)? Might be a break there.

And, if the alternative is landfill, I have done this three (3) times, and been successful once (1- time):
    a) Obtain a high-voltage, high value capacitor (I used an aggregate value of 100uF @ 500VDC)
    b) While being exceedingly careful, charge it on your bench supply to full capacity.
    c) Discharge it across the open winding - again, using great care.

It *MIGHT* weld across the break. I was successful, in actuality, twice as far as the Ohm-meter measured. But failure was quick (not instant) when 'real' voltage was applied in one case. In the other, the transformer remains in regular, but not
    frequent service in a small tube power-amp (primary).

Best of luck with it.
    Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

The connections from the windings to the leads are visible without peeling any layers, and they were fine. I'm going to pull the trans once more and give it one more look over in case I missed something that can be fixed.

I talked to the customer Saturday, and he isn't averse to using two transformers as this isn't a historic amplifier and accurate preservation isn't in play. He's just looking for a tube amp with some nads and this one should have plenty.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Allison@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 7 19:55:11 2022
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

======================
    ed.

I talked to the customer Saturday, and he isn't averse to using two transformers
    as this isn't a historic amplifier and accurate preservation isn't in play.

** Don't think you need two.

A power tranny meant for the Fender " Bassman 100 " ( eg 290FX ) ought to be OK.
    The +DC voltage is close to right, but you need to change the rectifier set up to " full wave".

An extra 2 amps of heater current current is not such a big issue, the voltage may drop a little to say 6.0VAC but the additional heat in the tranny is only 1.5 watts or so. The tap on the secondary will work for negative bias.

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to palli...@gmail.com on Tue Mar 8 06:51:37 2022
    On Monday, March 7, 2022 at 10:55:15 PM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

======================
    ed.

I talked to the customer Saturday, and he isn't averse to using two transformers
    as this isn't a historic amplifier and accurate preservation isn't in play.

** Don't think you need two.

A power tranny meant for the Fender " Bassman 100 " ( eg 290FX ) ought to be OK.
    The +DC voltage is close to right, but you need to change the rectifier set up to " full wave".

An extra 2 amps of heater current current is not such a big issue, the voltage may drop a little to say 6.0VAC but the additional heat in the tranny is only 1.5 watts or so. The tap on the secondary will work for negative bias.

..... Phil

Thanks, I will consider the Bassman trans for the transplant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05