• Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!

From Chris K-Man@21:1/5 to dansabr...@yahoo.com on Sat Aug 7 04:41:05 2021
    On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 7:31:47 AM UTC-4, dansabr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 5:24:11 PM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
    On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 10:07:21 AM UTC-4, Chris K-Man wrote:
    On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 9:16:57 AM UTC-4, Tim Schwartz wrote:
    On 7/31/2021 11:39 PM, Chris K-Man wrote:
    Make: Sony

Year of Mfg: 2000

Model: CDP-CE375

Issue: Does not read CDs in trays #2-5, but does read them
    in tray #1. If a CD is also in tray 2 or higher, the player pauses, for
    at least 8-10 sec., then moves onto the next tray, and so on.

This doesn't make sense, since there is only one laser-sled assembly, and the carousel just rotates until the requested
    disc is over that assembly.

Any ideas?

Have you taken the top cover off the player and checked the mechanical operation? Perhaps it is not really rotating or clamping the other discs? If that is the case, I'd be thinking towards belts, assuming that the CD's are in good condition.

Regards,
    Tim
    ______

Yesterday, I put a CD in just tray #2. The player checked tray 1,
    and about a few seconds later rotated and checked for disc min tray 2, scanned, and I got TOC(table of contents - total time, number of tracks),
    and played when I pressed play.

Where the problems crop mup is when I have two or more discs in
    the carousel. If I press the button for, IE disc #3, The machine will stop playing
    disc #1, rotate to #3, scan, not detect the disc, and move on to tray #4, all
    the way back to #1.

So basically, the trouble occurs only if I have more than one CD in the carousel, or press one of the five direct access disc #s.

Logic circuitry getting senile?
    Hmmm have a schematic? This may help: https://manualzz.com/doc/24703163/sony-cdp-ce375-service-manual

Rule out disks - take known readable disk in #2 and move to #3, take known readable disk in #1, move to #2, put new known readable disk in #1. Go through sequence 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and see what happens.

When the carousel reaches the 'bad position' does the system try to read the disk? e.g. sled move? etc.
    Can you check the signal on the optical receiver?
    Am trying to determine if it is a carousel positioning problem or player problem.
    Change the loading belt. I suspect that the additional weight of the CDs causes the try to be misaligned at the other positions. There is little to no movement of the tray for disc 1.
    _____

That's a thought. But really what is the weight to power ratio of the carousel mechanism for a few CDs? This Is why I keep buying up thes carousels at second hand thrift - so I can simply switch in a replacement when
    the other one goes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From abrsvc@21:1/5 to Three Jeeps on Sat Aug 7 04:31:44 2021

in tray #1. If a CD is also in tray 2 or higher, the player pauses, for at least 8-10 sec., then moves onto the next tray, and so on.

This doesn't make sense, since there is only one laser-sled
    assembly, and the carousel just rotates until the requested

Any ideas?

Have you taken the top cover off the player and checked the mechanical operation? Perhaps it is not really rotating or clamping the other
    discs? If that is the case, I'd be thinking towards belts, assuming
    that the CD's are in good condition.

Regards,
    Tim
    ______

and about a few seconds later rotated and checked for disc min tray 2, scanned, and I got TOC(table of contents - total time, number of tracks), and played when I pressed play.

the carousel. If I press the button for, IE disc #3, The machine will stop playing
    the way back to #1.

So basically, the trouble occurs only if I have more than one CD in the carousel, or press one of the five direct access disc #s.

Hmmm have a schematic? This may help: https://manualzz.com/doc/24703163/sony-cdp-ce375-service-manual

Rule out disks - take known readable disk in #2 and move to #3, take known readable disk in #1, move to #2, put new known readable disk in #1. Go through sequence 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and see what happens.

When the carousel reaches the 'bad position' does the system try to read the disk? e.g. sled move? etc.
    Am trying to determine if it is a carousel positioning problem or player problem.

Change the loading belt. I suspect that the additional weight of the CDs causes the try to be misaligned at the other positions. There is little to no movement of the tray for disc 1.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From abrsvc@21:1/5 to Chris K-Man on Sun Aug 8 14:10:55 2021
    On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 7:41:09 AM UTC-4, Chris K-Man wrote:

This doesn't make sense, since there is only one laser-sled assembly, and the carousel just rotates until the requested

Any ideas?

Have you taken the top cover off the player and checked the mechanical
    operation? Perhaps it is not really rotating or clamping the other discs? If that is the case, I'd be thinking towards belts, assuming that the CD's are in good condition.

Regards,
    Tim
    ______

and about a few seconds later rotated and checked for disc min tray 2, scanned, and I got TOC(table of contents - total time, number of tracks),
    and played when I pressed play.

the way back to #1.

_____

That's a thought. But really what is the weight to power ratio of the carousel mechanism for a few CDs? This Is why I keep buying up thes carousels at second hand thrift - so I can simply switch in a replacement when the other one goes.
    If the belt is getting slippery, it won't take much to make a difference. Try the belt as it is the cheapest option at this point.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dansabr...@yahoo.com on Mon Aug 9 07:04:18 2021
    On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 5:10:58 PM UTC-4, dansabr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 7:41:09 AM UTC-4, Chris K-Man wrote:

Any ideas?

If the belt is getting slippery, it won't take much to make a difference. Try the belt as it is the cheapest option at this point.

Belts are known to lose their elasticity and become gummy in Sony carousels. I changed tons of those years ago. I don't know if Sony still sells the belts but you can buy a generic kit on ebay cheap. Depending on the model, there's either two or three
    belts in the kit IIRC.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 9 09:16:52 2021
    Belts are known to lose their elasticity and become gummy in Sony carousels. I changed tons of those years ago. I don't know if Sony still sells the belts but you can buy a generic kit on ebay cheap. Depending on the model, there's either two or three
    belts in the kit IIRC.

McMaster-Carr will sell you any number of O-rings in any number of sizes, configurations and materials that will do nicely in place of about any smooth belt out there, flat, oval, half-round and round. And also a large number of toothed belts should that
    be the requirement. Don't waste your time looking for OEM belts and/or pay stupid prices for them.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05