• Re: Transistor ID

From Arie de Muijnck@21:1/5 to Mike H on Tue Jan 30 22:19:22 2024
    On 2024-01-30 21:45, Mike H wrote:
    I am trying to repair my Milwaukee M18 vacuum; model 0880-20. I left it outside, it rained, and the rest is history.

I have only a very rudimentary knowledge of electronics from building Heathkits 45 years ago. That being said I am not afraid...

Using my multi-meter as a continuity tester, I discovered a transistor that got rusty from the rain and does not appear to be functioning.

Can't seem to post a photo but it has 3 lines of text:

IRF1404

IOR P446D

TONH

Google search has not yielded any results. I do not have a schematic. The vac is powered by a 18V lithium battery.

In my testing I discovered if I connect a jumper between the left prong and the center prong, the vacuum seems to operate normally. If that is safe to do, I am happy to just solder a piece of wire between those prongs and call it a day..

Mike

Google for IRF1404 turns up the datasheet and suppliers: https://www.google.com/search?q=IRF1404
    https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/mosfet/n-channel/irf1404/

Arie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From legg@21:1/5 to mhamill860@gmail.com on Tue Jan 30 20:26:07 2024
    On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:45:23 -0800 (PST), Mike H
    <mhamill860@gmail.com> wrote:

I am trying to repair my Milwaukee M18 vacuum; model 0880-20. I left it outside, it rained, and the rest is history.

I have only a very rudimentary knowledge of electronics from building Heathkits 45 years ago. That being said I am not afraid...

Using my multi-meter as a continuity tester, I discovered a transistor that got rusty from the rain and does not appear to be functioning.

IRF1404

IOR P446D

TONH

Google search has not yielded any results. I do not have a schematic. The vac is powered by a 18V lithium battery.

In my testing I discovered if I connect a jumper between the left prong and the center prong, the vacuum seems to operate normally. If that is safe to do, I am happy to just solder a piece of wire between those prongs and call it a day..

Mike

Best not to jumper out anything to do with battery supply
    or charging. You don'y indicate whether battery charge
    is present or maintained.

Replace bad parts first.

Check charging status first.

RL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Miguel Gimenez@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 31 11:28:07 2024
    El 30/01/2024 a las 21:45, Mike H escribió:

IRF1404

IOR P446D

TONH

Mike

If you short the gate to the drain the MOSFET becomes a current source
    and will burn in a while. The problem is in whatever part drives the
    gate (the left prong).

--
    Saludos
    Miguel Gimenez

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Arie de Muijnck@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Wed Jan 31 13:31:06 2024
    On 2024-01-31 12:29, Peter W. wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 3:45:26 PM UTC-5, Mike H wrote:

IRF1404

IOR P446D

TONH

Mike
    Equivalents are, per Alltransistors.com:

Type Mat Struct Pc Vcb Vce Veb Ic Tj Ft Cc Hfe Pack
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    2N5630 Si NPN 200 120 120 7 20 200 1 500 20 TO3
    2N6322 Si NPN 200 300 200 30 200 40 TO3
    2N6323 Si NPN 200 300 200 30 200 40 TO3
    2N6340X Si NPN 200 140 25 40 30 TO3
    2N6341X Si NPN 200 150 25 40 30 TO3
    2N6686 Si NPN 200 260 160 8 25 200 20 25 TO3

IRF1404 Si NPN 200 120 120 7 20 200 500 20 TO3

I hope the table comes through.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

Since when can you just replace an N-channel MOSFet with an NPN transistor? Especially since the OP has 'rudimentary knowledge' and no schematics.

Arie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hayter@21:1/5 to Mike H on Wed Jan 31 20:24:25 2024
    On 30 Jan 2024 at 20:45:23 GMT, "Mike H" <mhamill860@gmail.com> wrote:

IRF1404

IOR P446D

TONH

In my testing I discovered if I connect a jumper between the left prong and the center prong, the vacuum seems to operate normally. If that is safe to do,
    I am happy to just solder a piece of wire between those prongs and call it a day..

Mike

The transistor may be defective, or just lacking a signal on the gate to turn it on. Mosfets tend to be high resistance between all pins when tested in pairs. It would not be a good idea to permenently bypass it as it could cause damage to the motor, or battery if it has one. I suggest remove your short circuit and see if a voltage appears between the source and gate pins (see the datasheet others have drawn your attention to) when the vacuum is switched on.
    If not, maybe the mosfet isn't the primary problem. FWIW, they usually fail short circuit when the do fail, but then rusting is an unusual failure mode.

--
    Roger Hayter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ehsjr@21:1/5 to Mike H on Wed Jan 31 22:28:58 2024
    On 1/30/2024 3:45 PM, Mike H wrote:

IRF1404

IOR P446D

TONH

Mike

Remove the jumper you added. Clean the circuit
    board with isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush,
    scrubbing gently. Make sure it's dry before
    testing. The rust you see may be rust, but it
    might also be crud. The alcohol scrub will
    remove crud if it's there - but not rust. But
    in any event, electronics that you are trying
    to repair after it was left out in the rain
    should always be cleaned of any crud on the
    circuit board.

Once the cleaning is done, if the problem is
    still there, you can proceed with some of the
    steps others have mentioned.

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05