• trasnformer/adaptor fire

From vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 17 00:54:38 2023
    I remember ca 1971 (I was ten) Readers Digest mentioned fires from answering machine adaptors. So I have always been wary about leaving an adaptor
    plugged in for long. I generally didn't leave my fax or answering machine plugged in for long and generally abhored leaving computers on for days. (ca 1986 my workplace had a semicomical incident where they ran a simulation all night and the janitor kept shutting it off). Now I hear radio ads from the patent office about "fakes" causing fires, and I wonder who is right? Where
    do you draw the line? Would you trust Chinese made ryobi battery+charger (40V Lithium) clones from China? Would you trust a microwave or space heater from CHina or Vietnam? WHat about a simple light socket (that costs $1.50)? What rules of thumb do you folks use in evaluating such?

--
    Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
    ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From immibis@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Tue Dec 19 17:12:04 2023
    On 12/19/23 15:57, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 7:54:43 PM UTC-5, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
    I remember ca 1971 (I was ten) Readers Digest mentioned fires from answering >> machine adaptors. So I have always been wary about leaving an adaptor
    plugged in for long. I generally didn't leave my fax or answering machine
    plugged in for long and generally abhored leaving computers on for days. (ca >> 1986 my workplace had a semicomical incident where they ran a simulation all >> night and the janitor kept shutting it off). Now I hear radio ads from the >> patent office about "fakes" causing fires, and I wonder who is right? Where >> do you draw the line? Would you trust Chinese made ryobi battery+charger (40V
    Lithium) clones from China? Would you trust a microwave or space heater from >> CHina or Vietnam? WHat about a simple light socket (that costs $1.50)? What >> rules of thumb do you folks use in evaluating such?

--

Smoke alarms, escape plans, insurance...

Seconded. I leave things on all the time, especially adapters. Almost
    everyone does. If I bought it from a store with a real reputation, I
    assume it to be safe. If I bought it online from a no-name seller or
    built it, I assume it to be unsafe until proven otherwise.

It sounds like there was a spate of faulty adapters in *1971*. Avoiding
    all adapters is like avoiding all phones because of Galaxy Note 7s had a manufacturing defect that made them caught fire. Actually, since it was
    1971, it's more like avoiding all phones because the ENIAC's vacuum
    tubes burned out a lot. Proper commercial products catching fire is very
    much the exception, not the rule.

Stores like Amazon sell a lot of stuff that isn't "proper commercial
    products". Youtube user "bigclivedotcom" has demonstrated this by taking
    some apart. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJnFhhPAis -
    possibly the most famous because of the accompanying song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAq7PI1Uwg - has a *quarter of a
    millimeter* gap in between mains power and something that connects to
    your fingers. That's a bargain-bin cheap one imported from China. It
    wouldn't have cost them anything to move those wires apart, but they
    didn't care.

I've also seen teardowns of *official* Apple chargers (mains-to-USB
    adapters) showing surprisingly high quality, with good quality
    components, proper design, and better filtering than necessary. Apple
    might be dogshit because of its lock-in philosophy, but at least its
    adapters are well built.

You might unplug them to save the last scrap of power, though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KenW@21:1/5 to immibis on Tue Dec 19 11:31:49 2023
    On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:12:04 +0100, immibis <news@immibis.com> wrote:

On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 7:54:43?PM UTC-5, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
    I remember ca 1971 (I was ten) Readers Digest mentioned fires from answering
    machine adaptors. So I have always been wary about leaving an adaptor
    plugged in for long. I generally didn't leave my fax or answering machine >>> plugged in for long and generally abhored leaving computers on for days. (ca
    1986 my workplace had a semicomical incident where they ran a simulation all
    night and the janitor kept shutting it off). Now I hear radio ads from the >>> patent office about "fakes" causing fires, and I wonder who is right? Where >>> do you draw the line? Would you trust Chinese made ryobi battery+charger (40V
    Lithium) clones from China? Would you trust a microwave or space heater from
    CHina or Vietnam? WHat about a simple light socket (that costs $1.50)? What >>> rules of thumb do you folks use in evaluating such?

--

Seconded. I leave things on all the time, especially adapters. Almost >everyone does. If I bought it from a store with a real reputation, I

all adapters is like avoiding all phones because of Galaxy Note 7s had a >manufacturing defect that made them caught fire. Actually, since it was

Stores like Amazon sell a lot of stuff that isn't "proper commercial >products". Youtube user "bigclivedotcom" has demonstrated this by taking
    possibly the most famous because of the accompanying song: >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAq7PI1Uwg - has a *quarter of a
    didn't care.

adapters are well built.

+1

KenW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Allodoxaphobia@21:1/5 to immibis on Tue Dec 19 22:43:36 2023
    On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:12:04 +0100, immibis wrote:
    On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 7:54:43 PM UTC-5, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
    plugged in for long. I generally didn't leave my fax or answering machine >>> plugged in for long and generally abhored leaving computers on for days. (ca
    night and the janitor kept shutting it off). Now I hear radio ads from the >>> patent office about "fakes" causing fires, and I wonder who is right? Where >>> do you draw the line? Would you trust Chinese made ryobi battery+charger (40V
    CHina or Vietnam? WHat about a simple light socket (that costs $1.50)? What >>> rules of thumb do you folks use in evaluating such?

--

Seconded. I leave things on all the time, especially adapters. Almost everyone does. If I bought it from a store with a real reputation, I

all adapters is like avoiding all phones because of Galaxy Note 7s had a manufacturing defect that made them caught fire. Actually, since it was

1977 -- Mr. Coffee -- another appliace that's usually left plugged in 24/7.
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1977/recall-of-mr-coffee-announced

Who you gonna trust?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Layman@21:1/5 to immibis on Wed Dec 20 07:51:05 2023
    On 19/12/2023 16:12, immibis wrote:

--

Seconded. I leave things on all the time, especially adapters. Almost everyone does. If I bought it from a store with a real reputation, I

Stores like Amazon sell a lot of stuff that isn't "proper commercial products". Youtube user "bigclivedotcom" has demonstrated this by taking
    possibly the most famous because of the accompanying song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAq7PI1Uwg - has a *quarter of a
    didn't care.

adapters are well built.

I've just got notice of a recall for the SMPS wall wart charger for a
    hand-held vacuum cleaner we bought over a year ago: "(we) are aware of a manufacturing defect with a small number of the DC Adaptors supplied
    with the vacuums. The defect may cause the back of the DC adapter to
    come off...If you have bought one of these products, stop using it immediately."

It's been plugged in for all that time. It's never been removed from the
    socket at the back of the cupboard the vacuum cleaner is kept in, so why
    would I want to unplug it? Unless, of course, there's another "shoddy workmanship" hazard inside that adaptor...

--

Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Jones@21:1/5 to vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co on Wed Dec 27 21:49:41 2023
    On 17/12/2023 11:54 am, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
    I remember ca 1971 (I was ten) Readers Digest mentioned fires from answering machine adaptors. So I have always been wary about leaving an adaptor plugged in for long. I generally didn't leave my fax or answering machine plugged in for long and generally abhored leaving computers on for days. (ca 1986 my workplace had a semicomical incident where they ran a simulation all night and the janitor kept shutting it off). Now I hear radio ads from the patent office about "fakes" causing fires, and I wonder who is right? Where do you draw the line? Would you trust Chinese made ryobi battery+charger (40V Lithium) clones from China? Would you trust a microwave or space heater from CHina or Vietnam? WHat about a simple light socket (that costs $1.50)? What rules of thumb do you folks use in evaluating such?

If it us UL listed, is it probably ok - they are quite strict. Some
    other approvals agencies are fairly diligent too. In addition, I would
    not leave lithium batteries fast-charging unattended, and would avoid
    allowing piles of paper or curtains to drape around any mains-powered
    device that is unattended.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05