• Re: Fan causing MW RFI

From Brad Johnson@21:1/5 to Jeff Layman on Mon Oct 9 16:32:57 2023
    Jeff Layman wrote:
    I have a 6-months old Fantasia ceiling fan (mains powered, with 6-speed reversible dc motor) which is causing a lot of interference on MW.
    FM

you can try and put a AC line filter as close to the device as you can , 3 wire AC feeding is better ....
    DC motor may need bypass caps , which might be a problem for the 6-speed driver....
    The clamp on fairrite or a core should be on everything in a ham home, and all overhead AC drop lines IMO.
    the type 75 cores are only about $1 and go after all the noise below 1mhz ( that's is where most of it comes from )
    you may be able to use the AC line filters on DC if amp rating is enough ( leave a little margin here... )
    tips from a solar-powered ham radio operator.
    pics on my QRZ site Ko6kL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeff Layman@21:1/5 to Brad Johnson on Tue Oct 10 10:40:47 2023
    On 10/10/2023 00:32, Brad Johnson wrote:
    Jeff Layman wrote:
    I have a 6-months old Fantasia ceiling fan (mains powered, with 6-speed
    reversible dc motor) which is causing a lot of interference on MW.
    FM

you can try and put a AC line filter as close to the device as you can , 3 wire AC feeding is better ....
    DC motor may need bypass caps , which might be a problem for the 6-speed driver....
    The clamp on fairrite or a core should be on everything in a ham home, and all overhead AC drop lines IMO.
    the type 75 cores are only about $1 and go after all the noise below 1mhz ( that's is where most of it comes from )
    you may be able to use the AC line filters on DC if amp rating is enough ( leave a little margin here... )
    tips from a solar-powered ham radio operator.
    pics on my QRZ site Ko6kL

LOL!

I posted the original query almost 9 years ago! It was fixed a few days
    later by using a delta suppression capacitor and ferrite ring large
    enough to take all the mains leads.

--

Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)