• Tivoli Model One radio tuner issue

From wu.ming2@icloud.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 12 12:03:05 2023
    Workhorse at my parents home for many years, recently became unusable
    because could not tune on any radio station.

On multiple accounts a simple turning of the selector forth and back
    repeatedly for few minutes should fix the issue. It did few years back but
    the trick doesn’t work anymore.

Watched one video of restoration and the person performed a deep cleanse
    with a spray: https://youtu.be/e8SwvMGxVik

Anyone with direct experience of it? Thanks for sharing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jadney@vwtype3.org@21:1/5 to Wu Ming on Wed Sep 13 12:20:30 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 7:03:10 AM UTC-5, Wu Ming wrote:

On multiple accounts a simple turning of the selector forth and back repeatedly for few minutes should fix the issue. It did few years back but the trick doesn’t work anymore.

If you look at the tuning capacitor in any older radio, you'll see that it consists of a bunch of interleaved plates, half of which are mounted on a shaft that rotates to let them mesh more or less. The more they are intermeshed, the higher the
    capacitance and the lower the tuned frequency. Taking a more careful look, you'll notice that the stationary plates are insulated from the frame of the capacitor while the rotatable plates are mounted directly on the shaft which is in contact with that
    frame. The electrical connection between the shaft and the frame is thru a ball bearing on one end and usually a brass spring on the other end. Both ends were lubricated at the factory, but, with time, that lubrication dries out and oxidation occurs.
    Metal oxides tend to be insulators. Once the contact between the shaft and the frame, where the radio makes its connection, becomes unreliable or intermittent, you'll stop getting reception or there will be a lot of noise as the shaft is turned.

Moving the shaft back and forth can break thru those insulating films. You can try Deoxit to remove the oxides and follow up with Shield to provide some longer term conductivity. I like to also add a bit of high quality corrosion preventive grease at the
    same time, for the longest term benefit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wu.ming2@icloud.com@21:1/5 to jad...@vwtype3.org on Wed Sep 13 22:47:27 2023
    jad...@vwtype3.org <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:

repeatedly for few minutes should fix the issue. It did few years back but >> the trick doesn’t work anymore.

If you look at the tuning capacitor in any older radio, you'll see that
    it consists of a bunch of interleaved plates, half of which are mounted
    on a shaft that rotates to let them mesh more or less. The more they are intermeshed, the higher the capacitance and the lower the tuned
    frequency. Taking a more careful look, you'll notice that the stationary plates are insulated from the frame of the capacitor while the rotatable plates are mounted directly on the shaft which is in contact with that
    frame. The electrical connection between the shaft and the frame is thru
    a ball bearing on one end and usually a brass spring on the other end.
    Both ends were lubricated at the factory, but, with time, that
    lubrication dries out and oxidation occurs. Metal oxides tend to be insulators. Once the contact between the shaft and the frame, where the
    radio makes its connection, becomes unreliable or intermittent, you'll
    stop getting reception or there will be a lot of noise as the shaft is turned.

Moving the shaft back and forth can break thru those insulating films.
    You can try Deoxit to remove the oxides and follow up with Shield to
    provide some longer term conductivity. I like to also add a bit of high quality corrosion preventive grease at the same time, for the longest term benefit.

Thank you for the details. Interesting. Will try.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Wu Ming on Thu Sep 14 07:38:23 2023
    On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 6:47:33 PM UTC-4, Wu Ming wrote:
    jad...@vwtype3.org <jad...@vwtype3.org> wrote:

repeatedly for few minutes should fix the issue. It did few years back but
    the trick doesn’t work anymore.

on a shaft that rotates to let them mesh more or less. The more they are intermeshed, the higher the capacitance and the lower the tuned
    frequency. Taking a more careful look, you'll notice that the stationary plates are insulated from the frame of the capacitor while the rotatable plates are mounted directly on the shaft which is in contact with that frame. The electrical connection between the shaft and the frame is thru
    a ball bearing on one end and usually a brass spring on the other end. Both ends were lubricated at the factory, but, with time, that
    lubrication dries out and oxidation occurs. Metal oxides tend to be insulators. Once the contact between the shaft and the frame, where the radio makes its connection, becomes unreliable or intermittent, you'll stop getting reception or there will be a lot of noise as the shaft is turned.

You can try Deoxit to remove the oxides and follow up with Shield to provide some longer term conductivity. I like to also add a bit of high quality corrosion preventive grease at the same time, for the longest term benefit.

If it's one of those open frame tuners, have at it. If it's one of those clear plastic super compact square tuners with plastic film separating the plates, then any cleaner you use that carries a lube that doesn't evaporate will detune the tuner. It
    will work, but it will cause your dial to be off, sometimes quite a bit. Over time, the error will slowly decrease but never go away. If the radio has an osc trimmer, you might be able to fudge a lot of the error away.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wu.ming2@icloud.com@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 14 23:23:29 2023
    ohg...@gmail.com <ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 6:47:33 PM UTC-4, Wu Ming wrote:
    jad...@vwtype3.org <jad...@vwtype3.org> wrote:

repeatedly for few minutes should fix the issue. It did few years back but >>>> the trick doesn’t work anymore.

on a shaft that rotates to let them mesh more or less. The more they are >>> intermeshed, the higher the capacitance and the lower the tuned
    frequency. Taking a more careful look, you'll notice that the stationary >>> plates are insulated from the frame of the capacitor while the rotatable >>> plates are mounted directly on the shaft which is in contact with that
    frame. The electrical connection between the shaft and the frame is thru >>> a ball bearing on one end and usually a brass spring on the other end.
    Both ends were lubricated at the factory, but, with time, that
    lubrication dries out and oxidation occurs. Metal oxides tend to be
    insulators. Once the contact between the shaft and the frame, where the
    radio makes its connection, becomes unreliable or intermittent, you'll
    stop getting reception or there will be a lot of noise as the shaft is turned.

You can try Deoxit to remove the oxides and follow up with Shield to
    provide some longer term conductivity. I like to also add a bit of high
    quality corrosion preventive grease at the same time, for the longest term benefit.

If it's one of those open frame tuners, have at it. If it's one of those clear plastic super compact square tuners with plastic film separating
    the plates, then any cleaner you use that carries a lube that doesn't evaporate will detune the tuner. It will work, but it will cause your
    dial to be off, sometimes quite a bit. Over time, the error will slowly decrease but never go away. If the radio has an osc trimmer, you might
    be able to fudge a lot of the error away.

To be honest I have no idea. Maybe the video I linked in my original
    question will tell you. Won’t have access to the device until next time I visit my parents and this may take a while unfortunate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Allison@21:1/5 to Wu Ming on Thu Sep 14 18:58:49 2023
    Wu Ming wrote:
    -------------------------
    ohg...@gmail.com <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

If it's one of those open frame tuners, have at it. If it's one of those clear plastic super compact square tuners with plastic film separating
    the plates, then any cleaner you use that carries a lube that doesn't evaporate will detune the tuner. It will work, but it will cause your
    dial to be off, sometimes quite a bit. Over time, the error will slowly decrease but never go away. If the radio has an osc trimmer, you might

To be honest I have no idea. Maybe the video I linked in my original question will tell you. Won’t have access to the device until next time I visit my parents and this may take a while unfortunate.

** See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hXeVQffq4s

...... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wu.ming2@icloud.com@21:1/5 to Phil Allison on Sun Sep 17 12:28:55 2023
    Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
    Wu Ming wrote:
    -------------------------
    ohg...@gmail.com <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

If it's one of those open frame tuners, have at it. If it's one of those >>> clear plastic super compact square tuners with plastic film separating
    the plates, then any cleaner you use that carries a lube that doesn't
    evaporate will detune the tuner. It will work, but it will cause your
    dial to be off, sometimes quite a bit. Over time, the error will slowly
    decrease but never go away. If the radio has an osc trimmer, you might

question will tell you. Won’t have access to the device until next time I >> visit my parents and this may take a while unfortunate.

Auto lock-in, analog tuner. Interesting but doesn’t tell me much. Should
    not be the plastic kind mentioned by ohg…because is not super compact. Next time I will try cleaning and lubing.

For now tried to salvage at least the speaker function utilizing the
    auxiliary port for streaming from an iPad. Unfortunately my parents never understood how to use it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Allison@21:1/5 to Wu Ming on Sun Sep 17 19:21:33 2023
    Wu Ming wrote:
    -----------------------
    Phil Allison
    ohg...@gmail.com

If it's one of those open frame tuners, have at it. If it's one of those >>> clear plastic super compact square tuners with plastic film separating >>> the plates, then any cleaner you use that carries a lube that doesn't >>> evaporate will detune the tuner. It will work, but it will cause your >>> dial to be off, sometimes quite a bit. Over time, the error will slowly >>> decrease but never go away. If the radio has an osc trimmer, you might >>> be able to fudge a lot of the error away.

question will tell you. Won’t have access to the device until next time I
    visit my parents and this may take a while unfortunate.

Auto lock-in, analog tuner. Interesting but doesn’t tell me much. Should not be the plastic kind mentioned by ohg…because is not super compact.

** Fraid it is one of the "super compact' kind, open frame ones are much bigger.

Next time I will try cleaning and lubing.

** Note ohg's advice.

FYI it is common for open frame gangs to become noisy when moved but rare with the compact examples.

....... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wu.ming2@icloud.com@21:1/5 to Phil Allison on Wed Sep 20 05:39:28 2023
    Wu Ming wrote:
    -----------------------
    Phil Allison
    ohg...@gmail.com

If it's one of those open frame tuners, have at it. If it's one of those >>>>> clear plastic super compact square tuners with plastic film separating >>>>> the plates, then any cleaner you use that carries a lube that doesn't >>>>> evaporate will detune the tuner. It will work, but it will cause your >>>>> dial to be off, sometimes quite a bit. Over time, the error will slowly >>>>> decrease but never go away. If the radio has an osc trimmer, you might >>>>> be able to fudge a lot of the error away.

question will tell you. Won’t have access to the device until next time I
    visit my parents and this may take a while unfortunate.

Auto lock-in, analog tuner. Interesting but doesn’t tell me much. Should >> not be the plastic kind mentioned by ohg…because is not super compact.

** Fraid it is one of the "super compact' kind, open frame ones are much bigger.

** Note ohg's advice.

FYI it is common for open frame gangs to become noisy when moved but
    rare with the compact examples.

....... Phil

From my original post:

With the compact kind we should obtain detuning if lube does not evaporate completely (@ohg). Also because is auto lock-in substantial wiggle is
    built-in already. As demonstrated in the video linked by you.

I remember tune-in always has been a bit odd with Model One. But video in
    my original post shows tuning in vastly improved after cleansing. Or so I assume since you mentioned background noise should not be an issue with
    compact tuners.

Streaming to it I believed to be the definitive answer to this kind of
    issue. Unfortunately reality hit me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Allison@21:1/5 to Wu Ming on Tue Sep 19 23:54:03 2023
    Wu Ming wrote:
    --------------------------

** Note ohg's advice.

....... Phil

With the compact kind we should obtain detuning if lube does not evaporate completely (@ohg). Also because is auto lock-in substantial wiggle is built-in already. As demonstrated in the video linked by you.

** See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbjwiggmnrQ

I had one customer who decided to use spray lube ( WD40)) all over the open tuning gang of his FM tuner.
    De-tuned the band so much only one station was left on the dial, way down the bottom end.

..... Phil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wu.ming2@icloud.com@21:1/5 to Phil Allison on Fri Sep 29 15:17:53 2023
    Wu Ming wrote:
    --------------------------

** See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbjwiggmnrQ

I had one customer who decided to use spray lube ( WD40)) all over the
    open tuning gang of his FM tuner.
    De-tuned the band so much only one station was left on the dial, way down the bottom end.

..... Phil

Wow that was unexpected. I now realize how big open frame tuners are. Also
    very interesting to see how they are made.

Clearly Tivoli One has a compact one. Also as you mentioned compact rarely become noisy when moved. I remember my parents picking up not much else
    than noise but am not sure if from the tuner being noisy itself or just incapable of tuning in. Will see what I can do. Just refining the streaming solution perhaps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05