• Live wire detector

From vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 26 16:59:21 2023
    Phone dudes hook up a line to a device which sends a frequency thru th
    eline so you can find where it physically leads to. How can I buy a low cost (low use) version of such a gadget? One that also works at higher (eg 120VAC) voltages?

I appreciate the signal will be lost at transformers (why we were unable to use power lines to transmit submetering data and why the power and rails
    firms failed in their internet biz plans).

--
    Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
    ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From KenW@21:1/5 to vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co on Sat Aug 26 11:33:50 2023
    On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 16:59:21 -0000 (UTC),
    vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

eline so you can find where it physically leads to. How can I buy a low cost >(low use) version of such a gadget? One that also works at higher (eg 120VAC) >voltages?

I appreciate the signal will be lost at transformers (why we were unable to
    use power lines to transmit submetering data and why the power and rails >firms failed in their internet biz plans).

Look for telephone testers > Toner and Banana. In 47 years never
    tried them with 120vac. Electricians use something to trace cables.

KenW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From whit3rd@21:1/5 to vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com on Sat Aug 26 22:42:04 2023
    On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 9:59:26 AM UTC-7, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
    eline so you can find where it physically leads to. How can I buy a low cost (low use) version of such a gadget? One that also works at higher (eg 120VAC)
    voltages?

The telco item I recall was 'fox and hound', some variant still available

<https://www.triplett.com/products/3388-fox-hound-hotwire-live-wire-tracer-tone-probe-kit>

but the familiar 120VAC items use a different technology (not a 'signal generator', just a diac used as
    a near-zero-crossing pulser). They're cheap enough

<https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-breaker-detective-96934.html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.co on Sat Aug 26 23:42:50 2023
    On 8/26/2023 9:59 AM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
    Phone dudes hook up a line to a device which sends a frequency thru th eline so you can find where it physically leads to. How can I buy a low cost (low use) version of such a gadget? One that also works at higher (eg 120VAC) voltages?

I appreciate the signal will be lost at transformers (why we were unable to
    use power lines to transmit submetering data and why the power and rails firms failed in their internet biz plans).

https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05