• Re: Best electronic contact CLEaner

From three_jeeps@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Wed Aug 2 12:07:29 2023
    On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 2:53:00 PM UTC-4, Peter W. wrote:
    Contact cleaners - a moving target.

When my wife and I were working in Saudi Arabia, I purchased Cramolin Red in the electronics souks for SR10 (about US$3) per 300ml pressurized can. In Saudi, nothing can be sold without complete disclosure on the labels (Caig products are not sold
    there). So each can had on it: Hydrocarbon and hydrocarbon propellants: 95%. Oleic Acid: 5%.

Oleic Acid has been used in the clockmakers profession for over 100 years. Oleic Acid is a derivative of cheap olive oil, for the most part, and can be purchased in food-grade quality (purest) over the counter, and sent through the mails.
    I mix it in 1/2 ounce quantities in eyedropper bottles using pure naptha as the medium at slightly less than 5%.
    Why? Contact cleaners such as DeOxit have the virtue (vice) of continuing to react until all the active ingredients have been consumed. So, it MUST be rinsed off after the work is done to prevent further reaction.

As proof-of-concept, find an old actually-copper penny and put it in very cheap olive-oil for a bit.

Once upon a time, Caig was the US distributor of Cramolin products - that ended very badly with considerable ugliness on both sides. To this day, I will not purchase Caig products.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

Interesting - never heard of Oleic acid. So what are the percentages of oleic acid to naptha.
    So you are saying that the oleic mixture does not have to be rinsed off? And it functions well as a contact cleaner?
    Thanks
    J

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 2 11:52:57 2023

When my wife and I were working in Saudi Arabia, I purchased Cramolin Red in the electronics souks for SR10 (about US$3) per 300ml pressurized can. In Saudi, nothing can be sold without complete disclosure on the labels (Caig products are not sold there).
    So each can had on it: Hydrocarbon and hydrocarbon propellants: 95%. Oleic Acid: 5%.

Oleic Acid has been used in the clockmakers profession for over 100 years. Oleic Acid is a derivative of cheap olive oil, for the most part, and can be purchased in food-grade quality (purest) over the counter, and sent through the mails.
    I mix it in 1/2 ounce quantities in eyedropper bottles using pure naptha as the medium at slightly less than 5%.
    Why? Contact cleaners such as DeOxit have the virtue (vice) of continuing to react until all the active ingredients have been consumed. So, it MUST be rinsed off after the work is done to prevent further reaction.

As proof-of-concept, find an old actually-copper penny and put it in very cheap olive-oil for a bit.

Once upon a time, Caig was the US distributor of Cramolin products - that ended very badly with considerable ugliness on both sides. To this day, I will not purchase Caig products.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 7 05:45:33 2023
    Interesting - never heard of Oleic acid. So what are the percentages of oleic acid to naptha.
    So you are saying that the oleic mixture does not have to be rinsed off? And it functions well as a contact cleaner?

5%. One drop to 19 drops by volume.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to jjhudak@gmail.com on Mon Aug 7 13:03:41 2023
    On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:07:29 -0700 (PDT), three_jeeps
    <jjhudak@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 2:53:00?PM UTC-4, Peter W. wrote:

When my wife and I were working in Saudi Arabia, I purchased Cramolin Red in the electronics souks for SR10 (about US$3) per 300ml pressurized can. In Saudi, nothing can be sold without complete disclosure on the labels (Caig products are not sold
    there). So each can had on it: Hydrocarbon and hydrocarbon propellants: 95%. Oleic Acid: 5%.

Oleic Acid has been used in the clockmakers profession for over 100 years. >> Oleic Acid is a derivative of cheap olive oil, for the most part, and can be purchased in food-grade quality (purest) over the counter, and sent through the mails.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

One advantage of using oleic acid is that it's food safe. That means
    you could drink your contact cleaner and it won't kill you. It also
    has some health benefits as it's an Omega-9 fatty acid. <https://www.dropanfbomb.com/blogs/articles-resources/oleic-acid>
    You won't see oleic acid as an ingredient in the old Cramolin R100L or
    the new Deoxit D100L in the MSDS or SDS data sheets because oleic acid
    is not consider a hazardous substance. <http://store.caig.com/app/site/media/sitemedia.nl/id.808/.f> (old) <http://store.caig.com/app/site/media/sitemedia.nl/id.907/.f> (new)

Thanks
    J

Oleic acid will eventually attack copper or brass contacts and coat
    the surface with copper oleate (C18H33CuO). Instead of copper oxide
    ruining the conductivity of your copper contacts, you will have a
    layer of copper oleate ruining the conductivity. Clean off any
    residual Oleic acid with white vinegar or 91% isopropyl alcohol and
    you'll sleep better not worrying about your electrical contacts
    rotting away.

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05