• Re: cooling via natural gas, was: Gas shortage UK

From Commander Kinsey@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Mon Nov 7 23:01:56 2022
    XPost: alt.home.repair, uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 03:19:32 -0000, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2022 16:03:00 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 19:51:51 -0000 (UTC), danny burstein
    <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

In <op.1u78rjekmvhs6z@ryzen.home> "Commander Kinsey" <CK1@nospam.com> writes:

[snip]

Since when could gas cool something anyway?

Broadly speaking, two ways:

a: using it to directly power a compressor the same
    way it can run a car or generator

and

b: through that whole "ammonia cycle" deal which, while
    I've seen it in operation, makes my head hurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Cabins & cottages in remote locations have used propane
    burning fridges for decades.
    John T.
    Lots of Servels in Amish houses too - up John's way.

How can a cat produce a cooling effect? Do you make it run in a wheel to turn a compressor? Traditionally hamsters are for that.

And Amish with refridgeration? That would be against their rules surely?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 8 03:40:06 2022

Not hardly. What the Amish discourage is direct connections to the outside. Keep in mind that Amish tend to be farmers, and tend to do a lot of dairy. So, in order to sell their product, they must comply with safety rules applicable to all farm products.
    They will use on-site generators for power, Absorption chillers (propane-fired) for cooling, and stationary engines to run fans and other devices via belts or pulleys.

https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-electricity/ Some of their farms are incredibly sophisticated in terms of energy use, between turbines, solar panels, even, in some cases, hydropower.

Note also: Amish may use a (Cell) Phone, but may not dial one. And they may ride in a IC vehicle, but may not drive one.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Commander Kinsey@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Wed Nov 9 00:12:08 2022
    XPost: uk.d-i-y, alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 11:40:06 -0000, Peter W. <peterwieck33@gmail.com> wrote:

Not hardly. What the Amish discourage is direct connections to the outside.

I thought it was any machinery. As in a combine harvester, a car, etc. Refridgeration is machinery.

Keep in mind that Amish tend to be farmers, and tend to do a lot of dairy. So, in order to sell their product, they must comply with safety rules applicable to all farm products. They will use on-site generators for power, Absorption chillers (propane-
    fired) for cooling, and stationary engines to run fans and other devices via belts or pulleys.

So they go against their own customs to please the morons in power?

https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-electricity/ Some of their farms are incredibly sophisticated in terms of energy use, between turbines, solar panels, even, in some cases, hydropower.

Note also: Amish may use a (Cell) Phone, but may not dial one. And they may ride in a IC vehicle, but may not drive one.

That's illogical and sounds like cheating, like a Jew I know who sets timers for Sunday so he doesn't have to go to the trouble and energy of pushing that really heavy lightswitch.

So this refridgeration is ok as long as they hire a non-Amish bloke to press the power button? I'd love to have that job....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rbowman@21:1/5 to Commander Kinsey on Wed Nov 9 03:48:52 2022

On Wed, 09 Nov 2022 00:12:08 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 11:40:06 -0000, Peter W. <peterwieck33@gmail.com>
    wrote:

And Amish with refridgeration? That would be against their rules
    surely?

Not hardly. What the Amish discourage is direct connections to the
    outside.

I thought it was any machinery. As in a combine harvester, a car, etc. Refridgeration is machinery.

Like they say, it's complicated. There isn't an Amish pope so each colony
    has their own rules. One Indiana colony split over whether rubber tires on
    a buggy were the work of the Devil.

I loaded furniture at a plant that was was staffed, if not owned, by
    Amish. The machinery was modern but when I had to go to another warehouse
    the guy loading the truck wouldn't ride over, but galloped across the
    fields to meet me there.

Besides furniture, quite a few mid-west RV factories employ Amish.

https://amishamerica.com/why-are-amish-building-rvs/

It's disconcerting to see a guy in the traditional clothing and beard
    smoking a cigarette and drinking a can of Coke or a bottle of beer for
    that matter. In many ways they're a lot more liberal than some of the tight-assed Protestant sects derived from Calvinism.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peeler@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 10:43:22 2022

On 9 Nov 2022 03:48:52 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:

Like they say, it's complicated. There isn't an Amish pope so each colony

Is it now about the Amish, you weird endlessly gossiping and driveling
    senile Trumptard?

--
    More of the senile gossip's absolutely idiotic senile blather:
    "I stopped for breakfast at a diner in Virginia when the state didn't do
    DST. I remarked on the time difference and the crusty old waitress said
    'We keep God's time in Virginia.'

I also lived in Ft. Wayne for a while."

MID: <t0tjfa$6r5$1@dont-email.me>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 03:50:19 2022
    That's illogical and sounds like cheating, like a Jew I know who sets timers for Sunday so he doesn't have to go to the trouble and energy of pushing that really heavy lightswitch.

So this refridgeration is ok as long as they hire a non-Amish bloke to press the power button? I'd love to have that job....

You must be one very, very blissful person.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 10 03:28:22 2022
    I don't follow your reasoning.

I expect that you do not - another indication of your blissful state.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cursitor Doom@21:1/5 to peterwieck33@gmail.com on Sun Nov 13 12:34:05 2022
    On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 03:40:06 -0800 (PST), "Peter W."
    <peterwieck33@gmail.com> wrote:

Not hardly. What the Amish discourage is direct connections to the outside. Keep in mind that Amish tend to be farmers, and tend to do a lot of dairy. So, in order to sell their product, they must comply with safety rules applicable to all farm products.
    They will use on-site generators for power, Absorption chillers (propane-fired) for cooling, and stationary engines to run fans and other devices via belts or pulleys.

Where in the Bible does it state they may not dial cellphones and
    drive cars?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 13 05:10:28 2022
    drive cars?

Another blissful person! The Amish way of life is not based on the Bible, but on their history of persecution before they left Switzerland and later, Germany. There are many peculiarities within the religion - for instance, they eschew buttons and
    zippers, they are non-violent, use long-guns, but not hand guns, and much more. Again, nothing at all to do with the Bible - but to keep themselves separate from the "English", their generic term for what is Not-Them. They are not Luddites, they are
    Separatists. They fully understand technology, and use what they must to comply with the law and with codes as they relate to selling their products. But no more. By the way, the technical name of their religion is Anabaptist.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cursitor Doom@21:1/5 to peterwieck33@gmail.com on Sun Nov 13 13:50:34 2022
    On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 05:10:28 -0800 (PST), "Peter W."
    <peterwieck33@gmail.com> wrote:

drive cars?

Another blissful person! The Amish way of life is not based on the Bible, but on their history of persecution before they left Switzerland and later, Germany. There are many peculiarities within the religion - for instance, they eschew buttons and
    zippers, they are non-violent, use long-guns, but not hand guns, and much more. Again, nothing at all to do with the Bible - but to keep themselves separate from the "English", their generic term for what is Not-Them. They are not Luddites, they are
    Separatists. They fully understand technology, and use what they must to comply with the law and with codes as they relate to selling their products. But no more. By the way, the technical name of their religion is Anabaptist.

Yes, well my question was intended tongue-in-cheek as you presumably
    must know. Well, it's an interesting belief system for sure - and as
    religions go, a very harmless one from what I can tell. Not many
    religions can claim that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim R@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Tue Nov 15 07:04:17 2022
    On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 8:10:30 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
    drive cars?
    zippers, they are non-violent, use long-guns, but not hand guns, and much more. Again, nothing at all to do with the Bible - but to keep themselves separate from the "English", their generic term for what is Not-Them.
    Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

I would think most of the Old Testament laws - dietary restrictions, clothing restrictions, circumcision, etc. - are exactly the same. The purpose is simply to maintain a separate identity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 15 07:55:53 2022
    I would think most of the Old Testament laws - dietary restrictions, clothing restrictions, circumcision, etc. - are exactly the same. The purpose is simply to maintain a separate identity.

That is certainly a result, and the typical modern perception of those laws. But, from an historical perspective, their roots are quite practical - and practiced by many contemporary groups for exactly the same reasons:

Dietary laws: Pork and some wild game carries Trichinella, a parasite that causes a very painful disease. Shellfish from warm waters carry multiple diseases, both viral and bacterial. draining animals of their blood greatly increased how long they could
    be kept. Carnivorous (obligatory vs. opportunistic) birds (including robins) carry all sorts of parasites that vegetarian (not vegan) birds do not. The milk/meat connection is one of the few that is very much behavioral, not practical - and that has to
    do with some of the pagan animal sacrifice rituals of the time.
    Circumcision reduces genital infections - no small thing before antibiotics, practical indoor plumbing, and water-poor environments.
    As to Clothing: The basic laws are simple—cover the knees, the elbows, and the collarbone, and don't wear anything skintight. Ever been in the Middle East? Even in the winter, the weather is not very forgiving of exposed skin. In the rainy season (
    and even Saudi has a rainy season), the mosquitoes, while not as bad as those in Alaska, are pretty nasty and very persistent. Skin-tight - not comfortable at 125F in the shade!

The separate identity expectation is common to many religions, not just the big-three. And the various & sundry rules promulgated to that end Mostly (NOT always) have practical roots that have grown into a life of their own rather than being still
    connected to their first-causes.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 21 11:09:42 2022
    Just like the appendix!

So, a thought did cross your mind. Must have been a long and lonely journey!

Both blissful and invincible!

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 22 11:05:30 2022
    Mind you, not sure why so many short-cocked men still exist. The internet says the average is a pathetic 6 inches. If I had 6 inches, it would fall out whenever I drew back a bit.

I take back everything about blissful and invincible. Ignorance is curable.

You are, for the record, incurably stupid, and entirely unencumbered by the thought process.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05