• Fiber brush for circuit boards

From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 15 06:55:28 2022
    Chemtronics makes a flux remover that comes with a small brush that attaches to the can for spot application and cleaning. This brush is *very* stiff and is not affected whatsoever by any solvent that I've used it with and lasts until the time I
    misplace it. They just don't wear out. Well, I just misplaced mine again and I use it constantly. I hate to keep buying the flux remover that I don't generally use just to get a brush.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-Flux-Off-Concentrate-Remover-Aerosol/dp/B01N2KD6I9/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=chemtronics+flux&qid=1665841886&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2

I'd like to buy a few to keep on hand in case I lose another, but I don't want to spend a hundred bucks for 5 brushes that are worth a couple of bucks each.

Does anyone know of a similar brush that I can buy to replicate the function and durability of the Chemtronics brush? I sent Chemtronics an email but I doubt they will sell the brush separately, otherwise I'd buy a dozen or so...

Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to ohger1s@gmail.com on Sat Oct 15 11:14:28 2022
    On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 06:55:28 -0700 (PDT), "ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote:

Chemtronics makes a flux remover that comes with a small brush that attaches to the can for spot application and cleaning. This brush is *very* stiff and is not affected whatsoever by any solvent that I've used it with and lasts until the time I
    misplace it. They just don't wear out. Well, I just misplaced mine again and I use it constantly. I hate to keep buying the flux remover that I don't generally use just to get a brush.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-Flux-Off-Concentrate-Remover-Aerosol/dp/B01N2KD6I9/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=chemtronics+flux&qid=1665841886&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2

I'd like to buy a few to keep on hand in case I lose another, but I don't want to spend a hundred bucks for 5 brushes that are worth a couple of bucks each.

Does anyone know of a similar brush that I can buy to replicate the function and durability of the Chemtronics brush? I sent Chemtronics an email but I doubt they will sell the brush separately, otherwise I'd buy a dozen or so...

Thanks.

Looks like Chemtronics sells a flux cleaning system based on that
    brush but doesn't sell the brush separately: <https://www.chemtronics.com/brushclean-system> <https://www.chemtronics.com/spot-cleaning-flux-residues-using-brushclean>

If it's fiberglass bristles, you could just buy some "acid brushes": <https://www.google.com/search?q=acid+brush&tbm=isch>
    and insert your favorite bristles borrowed from a scrub brush. The
    original "horsehair" bristles are probably too thin.

This might work, but the bristles appear to be too large diameter: <https://www.zoro.com/schaefer-brush-mfg-llc-fiberglass-flux-glue-dope-brush-tin-10033/i/G9502757/>

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rbowman@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 15 12:27:31 2022
    On 10/15/22 07:55, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.

amazon.com/Fiberglass-Scratch-Brush-Pen-applications/dp/B07S3RCTGZ/

The Amazon link is for reference. Auto body repair shops use scratch
    pens for cleaning up stone chips and so forth so you can find them at
    any autp parts store.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 15 13:08:27 2022
    On 10/15/2022 6:55 AM, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/flux-brush/s?k=flux+brush

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 15 23:29:30 2022
    T24gMjAyMi8xMC8xNSAxOjA4IHAubS4sIEJvYiBGIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBPbiAxMC8xNS8yMDIy IDY6NTUgQU0sIG9oZy4uLkBnbWFpbC5jb20gd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBDaGVtdHJvbmljcyBtYWtl cyBhIGZsdXggcmVtb3ZlciB0aGF0IGNvbWVzIHdpdGggYSBzbWFsbCBicnVzaCB0aGF0IA0K Pj4gYXR0YWNoZXMgdG8gdGhlIGNhbiBmb3Igc3BvdCBhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiBhbmQgY2xlYW5p bmcuwqAgVGhpcyBicnVzaCBpcyANCj4+ICp2ZXJ5KiBzdGlmZiBhbmQgaXMgbm90IGFmZmVj dGVkIHdoYXRzb2V2ZXIgYnkgYW55IHNvbHZlbnQgdGhhdCBJJ3ZlIA0KPj4gdXNlZCBpdCB3 aXRoIGFuZCBsYXN0cyB1bnRpbCB0aGUgdGltZSBJIG1pc3BsYWNlIGl0LsKgIFRoZXkganVz dCBkb24ndCANCj4+IHdlYXIgb3V0LsKgIFdlbGwsIEkganVzdCBtaXNwbGFjZWQgbWluZSBh Z2FpbiBhbmQgSSB1c2UgaXQgY29uc3RhbnRseS4gIA0KPj4gSSBoYXRlIHRvIGtlZXAgYnV5 aW5nIHRoZSBmbHV4IHJlbW92ZXIgdGhhdCBJIGRvbid0IGdlbmVyYWxseSB1c2UganVzdCAN Cj4+IHRvIGdldCBhIGJydXNoLg0KPj4NCj4+IGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFtYXpvbi5jb20vQ2hl bXRyb25pY3MtRmx1eC1PZmYtQ29uY2VudHJhdGUtUmVtb3Zlci1BZXJvc29sL2RwL0IwMU4y S0Q2STkvcmVmPXNyXzFfMj9rZXl3b3Jkcz1jaGVtdHJvbmljcytmbHV4JnFpZD0xNjY1ODQx ODg2JnF1PWV5SnhjMk1pT2lJd0xqQXdJaXdpY1hOaElqb2lNQzR3TUNJc0luRnpjQ0k2SWpB dU1EQWlmUSUzRCUzRCZzcj04LTINCj4+DQo+PiBJJ2QgbGlrZSB0byBidXkgYSBmZXcgdG8g a2VlcCBvbiBoYW5kIGluIGNhc2UgSSBsb3NlIGFub3RoZXIsIGJ1dCBJIA0KPj4gZG9uJ3Qg d2FudCB0byBzcGVuZCBhIGh1bmRyZWQgYnVja3MgZm9yIDUgYnJ1c2hlcyB0aGF0IGFyZSB3 b3J0aCBhIA0KPj4gY291cGxlIG9mIGJ1Y2tzIGVhY2guDQo+Pg0KPj4gRG9lcyBhbnlvbmUg a25vdyBvZiBhIHNpbWlsYXIgYnJ1c2ggdGhhdCBJIGNhbiBidXkgdG8gcmVwbGljYXRlIHRo ZSANCj4+IGZ1bmN0aW9uIGFuZCBkdXJhYmlsaXR5IG9mIHRoZSBDaGVtdHJvbmljcyBicnVz aD/CoCBJIHNlbnQgQ2hlbXRyb25pY3MgDQo+PiBhbiBlbWFpbCBidXQgSSBkb3VidCB0aGV5 IHdpbGwgc2VsbCB0aGUgYnJ1c2ggc2VwYXJhdGVseSwgb3RoZXJ3aXNlIA0KPj4gSSdkIGJ1 eSBhIGRvemVuIG9yIHNvLi4uDQo+Pg0KPj4gVGhhbmtzLg0KPiANCj4gDQo+IGh0dHBzOi8v d3d3LmFtYXpvbi5jb20vZmx1eC1icnVzaC9zP2s9Zmx1eCticnVzaA0KPiANCg0KV2UgYm91 Z2h0IHNvbWUgb2YgdGhvc2UsIHRoZXkgYXJlIHNvbWV3aGF0IHNvZnQsIGxpa2UgcGFpbnQg YnJ1c2hlcywgbm90IA0KdmVyeSBzdGlmZiBhcyB0aGUgT1AgaXMgbG9va2luZyBmb3IuDQoN CkpvaG4gOi0jKCMNCi0tIA0KKFBsZWFzZSBwb3N0IGZvbGxvd3VwcyBvciB0ZWNoIGlucXVp cmllcyB0byB0aGUgVVNFTkVUIG5ld3Nncm91cCkNCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICBK b2huJ3MgSnVrZXMgTHRkLg0KTU9WRUQgdG8gIzcgLSAzOTc5IE1hcmluZSBXYXksIEJ1cm5h YnksIEJDLCBDYW5hZGEgVjVKIDVFMw0KICAgICAgICAgICg2MDQpODcyLTU3NTcgKFBpbmJh bGxzLCBKdWtlcywgVmlkZW8gR2FtZXMpDQogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgd3d3LmZs aXBwZXJzLmNvbQ0KICAgICAgICAiT2xkIHBpbmJhbGxlcnMgbmV2ZXIgZGllLCB0aGV5IGp1 c3QgZmxpcCBvdXQuIg0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Burns@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 16 20:03:41 2022
    ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

Does anyone know of a similar brush that I can buy to replicate the function and durability of the Chemtronics brush?

Any good?
    <https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251948347071>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adrian Caspersz@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Wed Oct 19 16:14:53 2022
    On 15/10/2022 14:55, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

Not too sure what the exact material composition of the fibre you are
    referring to, but I've used glass fibre brushes in the past which create
    dusty sharp particles that are very painful if ye are unlucky to get
    them trapped in ya skin. Not my favourite tool.

--
    Adrian C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 19 11:46:44 2022
    This venue exists to offer the most complicated process for the simplest problem, often not even related to the original problem, and then only after endless discussions on irrelevant sidebars.

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls and children of all ages: Go to a decent plumbing supply house, and or an old-fashioned hardware store (even an ACE). Ask to see what they have by way of small brushes, The ACE nearest our summer house has at least
    ten (10) options, from very soft spring-brass bristles to peel-the-chrome-off-a-trailer-hitch steel bristles, both in toothbrush and paint brush configurations, metal, wood and plastic, and, for the record, including some natural bristle options as well.
    Then, using your eyes and fingers, choose the best option(s) for your specific need (or needs).

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ohger1s@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Adrian Caspersz on Wed Oct 19 13:47:01 2022
    On Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 11:14:59 AM UTC-4, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
    On 15/10/2022 14:55, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not too sure what the exact material composition of the fibre you are referring to, but I've used glass fibre brushes in the past which create dusty sharp particles that are very painful if ye are unlucky to get
    them trapped in ya skin. Not my favourite tool.

--
    Adrian C

All I can tell you is the material is black, it's not metallic, it's not natural hair, it's very stiff, and not only does it not shed any particles whatsoever, it doesn't wear out. A bit. At all. It also doesn't react to IPA, acetone, or toluene. I've
    seen those fiberglass pens that come with 10 refills. The Chemtronic brush bristles are only a few mm long but they don't wear down.

Chemtronics answered my email and said they don't sell the brushes separately as I suspected. I have been unable to find them by searching images or found any other product that uses them.

For now I've cut some acid brushes down to about 5 mm to duplicate the stiffness (more or less). I guess I'll have to buy some cans of Fluxoff to get a couple more. I think I'll drill them and attach a long lanyard to them so I'm less likely to
    misplace them in the future.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05