• Re: Yamaha Clavinova w/Rumbling Sound

From Joe Jaramillo@21:1/5 to Michael and Janet Inman on Sun Sep 25 11:23:10 2022
    I have the same problem on a C 430. I’ll be playing either quiet or loud and then a hear A rumbling noise that kind of trails off for a bit and then comes back. Did you ever find out what the root cause was?

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003 at 9:56:01 AM UTC-8, Michael and Janet Inman wrote:
    I have a Yamaha CLP-411 Clavinova that is about five years old. It has developed an occasional rumbling sound that comes from both speakers.
    It only lasts a few seconds at a time, is unbelievable loud, very low in pitch, and sounds just like wind noise on a microphone. Seems to happen at random times although more common when someone is playing it. Volume
    control position has no effect on the noise volume but does sometimes seem
    to affect the timbre of the noise. It goes away when you plug headphones in (you don't hear it in the headphones).
    Without the benefit of a service manual/schematic, I have tried to trace the analog audio signal with an oscilloscope to at least determine from which stage the noise is coming. I'm suspecting it's originating in the power amp section - the amps are IC "bricks", one for each channel but since it's in both speakers equally I'm thinking it's not them. Due to the sheer volume
    of the noise it actually loads the power supply to a point where signals at all stages are affected. I did change the filter cap in the dc supply. No improvement.
    I did read some newsgroup accounts of noise in the Clavinovas being due to dirty contacts in the volume control... I'm picking up some contact cleaner today and will try that but I'm not too optimistic about it.
    Any experience with this problem or guidance much appreciated.
    Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to joej1959@gmail.com on Sun Sep 25 19:40:36 2022
    On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Joe Jaramillo
    <joej1959@gmail.com> wrote:

I have the same problem on a C 430. I’ll be playing either quiet or loud and then a hear A rumbling noise that kind of trails off for a bit and then comes back. Did you ever find out what the root cause was?

There's an important clue in the text:
    "It goes away when you plug headphones"

My guess(tm) is it's some form of microphonics. That's where the
    speakers cause some electribuc component to vibrate, which then causes
    audible noises in the speakers. If the gain and phase of the
    amplifier is correct, it will produce low frequency feedback, which is
    the rumbling noise you hear. If the noise was a high pitched squeal,
    then it would be high frequency feedback.

In your case, you have a "C 430". That might be a Yamaha NX-C430
    speaker system. The system does not have any built in amplifier(s),
    so there's nothing wrong with the speakers. I suggest you remove your
    speakers from the amplifier or receiver case, and the microphonics
    will likely be reduced or stop.

Incidentally, you're only 19 years too late to catch the original
    posters.

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003 at 9:56:01 AM UTC-8, Michael and Janet Inman wrote:
    I have a Yamaha CLP-411 Clavinova that is about five years old. It has
    developed an occasional rumbling sound that comes from both speakers.
    It only lasts a few seconds at a time, is unbelievable loud, very low in
    pitch, and sounds just like wind noise on a microphone. Seems to happen at >> random times although more common when someone is playing it. Volume
    control position has no effect on the noise volume but does sometimes seem >> to affect the timbre of the noise. It goes away when you plug headphones in >> (you don't hear it in the headphones).
    Without the benefit of a service manual/schematic, I have tried to trace the >> analog audio signal with an oscilloscope to at least determine from which
    stage the noise is coming. I'm suspecting it's originating in the power amp >> section - the amps are IC "bricks", one for each channel but since it's in >> both speakers equally I'm thinking it's not them. Due to the sheer volume
    of the noise it actually loads the power supply to a point where signals at >> all stages are affected. I did change the filter cap in the dc supply. No
    improvement.
    I did read some newsgroup accounts of noise in the Clavinovas being due to >> dirty contacts in the volume control... I'm picking up some contact cleaner >> today and will try that but I'm not too optimistic about it.
    Mike
    --
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From legg@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 7 10:28:37 2022
    On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:40:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
    wrote:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Joe Jaramillo
    <joej1959@gmail.com> wrote:

speakers cause some electribuc component to vibrate, which then causes >audible noises in the speakers. If the gain and phase of the

so there's nothing wrong with the speakers. I suggest you remove your >speakers from the amplifier or receiver case, and the microphonics

You might check boards for degrading adhesive employed in tack-on or
    harness security, in this case - after the volume control section.

RL

posters.

I have a Yamaha CLP-411 Clavinova that is about five years old. It has
    developed an occasional rumbling sound that comes from both speakers.
    It only lasts a few seconds at a time, is unbelievable loud, very low in >>> pitch, and sounds just like wind noise on a microphone. Seems to happen at >>> random times although more common when someone is playing it. Volume
    control position has no effect on the noise volume but does sometimes seem >>> to affect the timbre of the noise. It goes away when you plug headphones in >>> (you don't hear it in the headphones).
    Without the benefit of a service manual/schematic, I have tried to trace the
    analog audio signal with an oscilloscope to at least determine from which >>> stage the noise is coming. I'm suspecting it's originating in the power amp >>> section - the amps are IC "bricks", one for each channel but since it's in >>> both speakers equally I'm thinking it's not them. Due to the sheer volume >>> of the noise it actually loads the power supply to a point where signals at >>> all stages are affected. I did change the filter cap in the dc supply. No >>> improvement.
    I did read some newsgroup accounts of noise in the Clavinovas being due to >>> dirty contacts in the volume control... I'm picking up some contact cleaner >>> today and will try that but I'm not too optimistic about it.
    Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joe Jaramillo@21:1/5 to Joe Jaramillo on Sun Jan 15 18:07:31 2023
    On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 11:23:12 AM UTC-7, Joe Jaramillo wrote:
    I have a Yamaha CLP-411 Clavinova that is about five years old. It has developed an occasional rumbling sound that comes from both speakers.
    It only lasts a few seconds at a time, is unbelievable loud, very low in pitch, and sounds just like wind noise on a microphone. Seems to happen at random times although more common when someone is playing it. Volume control position has no effect on the noise volume but does sometimes seem to affect the timbre of the noise. It goes away when you plug headphones in
    (you don't hear it in the headphones).
    analog audio signal with an oscilloscope to at least determine from which stage the noise is coming. I'm suspecting it's originating in the power amp
    section - the amps are IC "bricks", one for each channel but since it's in both speakers equally I'm thinking it's not them. Due to the sheer volume of the noise it actually loads the power supply to a point where signals at
    all stages are affected. I did change the filter cap in the dc supply. No improvement.
    I did read some newsgroup accounts of noise in the Clavinovas being due to dirty contacts in the volume control... I'm picking up some contact cleaner
    today and will try that but I'm not too optimistic about it.
    Mike
    Incidentally it also happens with headphones so I’m a bit flummoxed. Oh and btw I have a CLP-440. Next stop Yamaha…

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joe Jaramillo@21:1/5 to legg on Sun Jan 15 18:04:36 2023
    On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 7:27:45 AM UTC-7, legg wrote:
    On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:40:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
    On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Joe Jaramillo ><joej...@gmail.com> wrote:

speakers cause some electribuc component to vibrate, which then causes >audible noises in the speakers. If the gain and phase of the

so there's nothing wrong with the speakers. I suggest you remove your >speakers from the amplifier or receiver case, and the microphonics
    You might check boards for degrading adhesive employed in tack-on or
    harness security, in this case - after the volume control section.

RL

posters.

I have a Yamaha CLP-411 Clavinova that is about five years old. It has >>> developed an occasional rumbling sound that comes from both speakers. >>> It only lasts a few seconds at a time, is unbelievable loud, very low in >>> pitch, and sounds just like wind noise on a microphone. Seems to happen at
    random times although more common when someone is playing it. Volume
    to affect the timbre of the noise. It goes away when you plug headphones in
    analog audio signal with an oscilloscope to at least determine from which
    stage the noise is coming. I'm suspecting it's originating in the power amp
    section - the amps are IC "bricks", one for each channel but since it's in
    both speakers equally I'm thinking it's not them. Due to the sheer volume
    of the noise it actually loads the power supply to a point where signals at
    all stages are affected. I did change the filter cap in the dc supply. No
    improvement.
    I did read some newsgroup accounts of noise in the Clavinovas being due to
    dirty contacts in the volume control... I'm picking up some contact cleaner
    Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From legg@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 13 09:35:58 2024
    On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:58:16 -0800 (PST), Samuel Oh <soahmz@gmail.com>
    wrote:

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 6:07:33?PM UTC-8, Joe Jaramillo wrote:
    On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 11:23:12 AM UTC-7, Joe Jaramillo wrote:
    I have a Yamaha CLP-411 Clavinova that is about five years old. It has >> > > developed an occasional rumbling sound that comes from both speakers.
    It only lasts a few seconds at a time, is unbelievable loud, very low in >> > > pitch, and sounds just like wind noise on a microphone. Seems to happen at
    random times although more common when someone is playing it. Volume
    to affect the timbre of the noise. It goes away when you plug headphones in
    analog audio signal with an oscilloscope to at least determine from which
    stage the noise is coming. I'm suspecting it's originating in the power amp
    section - the amps are IC "bricks", one for each channel but since it's in
    both speakers equally I'm thinking it's not them. Due to the sheer volume
    of the noise it actually loads the power supply to a point where signals at
    all stages are affected. I did change the filter cap in the dc supply. No
    improvement.
    I did read some newsgroup accounts of noise in the Clavinovas being due to
    dirty contacts in the volume control... I'm picking up some contact cleaner
    Mike
    Incidentally it also happens with headphones so I’m a bit flummoxed. Oh and btw I have a CLP-440. Next stop Yamaha…
    Oh damn my church piano developed this issue too a few months ago, and it's been driving me crazy!

Check for degraded adhesive used on pcb assys for vibration
    defense.

Remove it and clean the area with alcohol, anywhere it comes
    into contact with board traces or connector terminals.

RL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05