• Re: Component to HDMI converters

From Charles Lucas@21:1/5 to ohg...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 10 13:53:42 2022
    On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 2:07:11 PM UTC-5, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have an old customer who has a 32" Panasonic CRT HD TV he wants to keep. He bought a Roku and discovered the TV doesn't have an HDMI input. I told him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon and an HDMI and component cable. He called
    and said he couldn't get it to work, so I took the ride to his town and brought component cables, HDMI cables, and a blu ray player.

Sure enough, there's no picture. When I plug my Blu Ray into the TV via component jacks, it has picture and sound so the component jacks are working as is the HD section of the TV. When I tried connecting the blu ray player through the HDMI adapter, it
    had sound but no picture, so neither the blu ray nor Roku was working through the adapter. I thought the adapter was bad but took it back to my shop to try and was surprised to find it works on a newer Samsung.

Is it possible the older Panasonic could get a blu ray HD through the component jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?

Turn off the Progressive scan on the blu ray player. The TV is only most likely useable for Interlaced scan. On the other video out to converted HDMI device, I would suggest a good RF Modulator with HDMI input and than outputs to composite or to
    component video and audio outs. Of course, if you get a picture after following the first instruction, nix the RF modulator,
    unless you want HDMI, as the problem is basically solved.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 10 14:11:05 2022
    You are answering increasingly older posts....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Freethinker@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Mon Jul 11 02:49:24 2022
    On 10.07.22 23:11, Peter W. wrote:

And dumping a lot of BS at that!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Lucas@21:1/5 to Freethinker on Mon Jul 11 17:47:32 2022
    On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 7:49:29 PM UTC-5, Freethinker wrote:

The Post is older. I saw the date. RF Modulators are not BS! Since you are recalcitrant and bellicose
    in your comments about me (and you ticked me off), I will spoon feed you the RF modulator
    information, since you want to be confrontational and a jerk! You are being verbally abusive
    "Freethinker" and your verbal abuse is an attempt to "cost" me since your thinking is free. I
    guess you have to be aware of what's free these days. Click on the link or copy and
    paste the link below:

https://thorbroadcast.com/t/rf-modulator

It explains also what a modulator does, for your information. Regardless of how old the original
    post is, the answer is still relevant today because we use it TODAY! The reason why they are needed
    is to generate a carrier signal as well as to make sure the signal has proper impedance and voltage and/or
    proper impedance matching to aid in the proper conversion of the signal. I am telling you about a device
    that is an external intermediary to any other onboard device previously spoken of.

Once again...I READ THE DATES! These answers are to benefit posterity and can be archived. The
    BS you accuse me of 'dishing out' is being stored somewhere in the Smithsonian too. BEFORE YOU
    RUN YOUR MOUTH (via the keyboard), YOU NEED TO REALLY THINK BEFORE you speak! I am actually
    here to serve people and give them viable answers, or I would not bother to waste my time. Also, the
    original poster had a valid question. Yet, you want to discredit me over what a modulator (RF or otherwise)
    or a signal convertor is... as though I know nothing at all. Please! I am not here to make the situation
    hotter or to cause trouble, but I will not be bullied by players like you who act like they know stuff and
    spend time attempting to discredit others that do know something. I think you could be more productive
    in spending your time on something else. Yes, there are many kinds of modulation. Would you like me
    to spoon feed you that information and name you several forms of modulation (also, since you judged
    me about not knowing about modulation and dishing out BS)?

Since you're so darn perfect, let's see you walk on water, dude; especially since you think you have the right
    to come off judging me. Yet, even though we're at loggerheads right now, I will still pray for you. Have a
    great day and God Bless You. In spite of the curtness on my part in this response, I still hope to those of
    you others who read this post, that you will find the straight information useful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Freethinker@21:1/5 to Charles Lucas on Tue Jul 12 10:22:15 2022
    On 12.07.22 02:47, Charles Lucas wrote:

The Post is older. I saw the date. RF Modulators are not BS! Since you are recalcitrant and bellicose
    in your comments about me (and you ticked me off), I will spoon feed you the RF modulator
    information, since you want to be confrontational and a jerk! You are being verbally abusive
    "Freethinker" and your verbal abuse is an attempt to "cost" me since your thinking is free. I
    guess you have to be aware of what's free these days. Click on the link or copy and
    paste the link below:

It explains also what a modulator does, for your information. Regardless of how old the original
    post is, the answer is still relevant today because we use it TODAY! The reason why they are needed
    is to generate a carrier signal as well as to make sure the signal has proper impedance and voltage and/or
    proper impedance matching to aid in the proper conversion of the signal. I am telling you about a device
    that is an external intermediary to any other onboard device previously spoken of.

Once again...I READ THE DATES! These answers are to benefit posterity and can be archived. The
    BS you accuse me of 'dishing out' is being stored somewhere in the Smithsonian too. BEFORE YOU
    RUN YOUR MOUTH (via the keyboard), YOU NEED TO REALLY THINK BEFORE you speak! I am actually
    here to serve people and give them viable answers, or I would not bother to waste my time. Also, the
    original poster had a valid question. Yet, you want to discredit me over what a modulator (RF or otherwise)
    or a signal convertor is... as though I know nothing at all. Please! I am not here to make the situation
    hotter or to cause trouble, but I will not be bullied by players like you who act like they know stuff and
    spend time attempting to discredit others that do know something. I think you could be more productive
    in spending your time on something else. Yes, there are many kinds of modulation. Would you like me
    to spoon feed you that information and name you several forms of modulation (also, since you judged

Since you're so darn perfect, let's see you walk on water, dude; especially since you think you have the right
    to come off judging me. Yet, even though we're at loggerheads right now, I will still pray for you. Have a
    great day and God Bless You. In spite of the curtness on my part in this response, I still hope to those of
    you others who read this post, that you will find the straight information useful.

OK, fair enough, and sorry if I have offended you.

Let me try to move this to a more reasonable and civilized conversation:

You stated "On the other video out to converted HDMI device, I would
    suggest a good RF Modulator with HDMI input and than outputs to
    composite or to
    component video and audio outs."

Here there are a couple of things that are not clear to me:

1) By "On the other video out to converted HDMI device" do you mean the
    HDMI to composite or component video and audio converter the OP mentioned?

2) If that's the case, would you please explain how you intend to use an
    RF modulator (yes, I know what it is) in this case? As far as I
    understand, HDMI is a digital signal, so in order to convert that to an
    analog signal (and split it between video and audio before doing that)
    you have to use more than just an RF modulator: there's a lot of
    processing to be done. Or am I missing something?
    Or did you mean, once the digital to analog conversion is done, use the
    RF modulator "to generate a carrier signal as well as to make sure the
    signal has proper impedance and voltage" to then feed to the TV input?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Lucas@21:1/5 to Freethinker on Tue Jul 12 14:39:57 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 3:22:19 AM UTC-5, Freethinker wrote:
    On 12.07.22 02:47, Charles Lucas wrote:

paste the link below:

OK, fair enough, and sorry if I have offended you.

Let me try to move this to a more reasonable and civilized conversation:

You stated "On the other video out to converted HDMI device, I would
    suggest a good RF Modulator with HDMI input and than outputs to
    composite or to
    component video and audio outs."
    Here there are a couple of things that are not clear to me:

1) By "On the other video out to converted HDMI device" do you mean the
    HDMI to composite or component video and audio converter the OP mentioned?

2) If that's the case, would you please explain how you intend to use an
    RF modulator (yes, I know what it is) in this case? As far as I
    understand, HDMI is a digital signal, so in order to convert that to an analog signal (and split it between video and audio before doing that)
    you have to use more than just an RF modulator: there's a lot of
    processing to be done. Or am I missing something?
    Or did you mean, once the digital to analog conversion is done, use the
    RF modulator "to generate a carrier signal as well as to make sure the
    signal has proper impedance and voltage" to then feed to the TV input?

Charles Lucas <charlesandmilly@gmail.com>
    4:33 PM (6 minutes ago)
    to sci.electronics.repair

I accept your apology. I apologize for my reaction too. I bristle when in a technical
    forum some people act like "typical" customers, although I do not mind being questioned,
    for I do not fear being skewered by the nasty words that follow if I am wrong, but
    I do like a great conversation as it relates to a field I love and enjoy very much. I
    especially love doing my best to serve others while having been given some ability
    to do good work and make a living at what I do. I am very passionate about delivering good
    quality service and advice that is given. I also refer to other volumes before I state the
    information, even though at times, I will indicate an opinion based upon my experience.

Yes, I prefer civilized conversation also and talking done
    with reasoning rather than insults, falsehoods, or games. Perhaps, I was not clear.
    Actually, you hit on a little bit of both conditions to clarify further- just in different
    stages. Let me further explain.

Actually, component video (and audio derived from it is one of those quasi-digital
    forms of media, such as S-video) is actually what I consider still analog (although a
    higher caliber due to the slightly higher video resolution). So, I call it high resolution
    analog signals. The audio is still analog. Coaxial Digital is a low functioning digital signal
    for audio signals. This is different from the coax that will be referred to later on in the
    explanation because that coax referred to is for audio and video signals with 75 ohm impedance.
    So the high functioning analog signal (component video, in this case) actually has to
    be combined and upconverted to digital from the analog input sourcing to the modulator
    upon input and as accurate to how the audio/video or synced, etc... (and perhaps other
    factors not mentioned). After the signal is amplified slightly via a signal amplifier (provided
    the impedance is matched) a digital carrier signal had to be introduced (this is a form of digital
    modulation) and this is performed following the conversion and these steps to modulate the
    wave digitally.

In this process, there is bound to be some loss in the conversion of the signal, which is why
    it is suggested that interlaced scan be played (and progressive be turned off) as most devices
    cannot support the refresh rate, unless you are dumping the signal into a computer monitor,
    which can (as TV's and computer monitors have different forms of horizontal and vertical
    deflection, by design). The other thing to keep in mind s that in the upconversion, due to
    limits on the signal compression, you can have artifacts or other video output errors, however
    if the signal compression achieves the under limit criteria, you'll have a relatively decent video
    output.

The signal in this case is converted to HDMI. From the output of the modulator/convertor, you
    now have a digital to digital signal transfer. The TV will follow the signal from there and process
    it as a digital (converted signal), although the modulator performed the step already but the
    electronics inside the TV are doing the processing once again (however, this time through the
    digital inputs- HDMI).

You can elect to go through other ways, There's analog to analog (hi level res) to low res. Examples
    are component video (RGB) to composite (Y) and then RCA audio to RCA audio- presumed stereo (although
    mono or hi-fi will work). Then there is RGB to S-Video, or you can do any of these sources and go to coax.
    You can also down-convert from DMI to ay of the above listed media, following the similar rules already
    mentioned, except there will be a digital to analog conversion, then the modulation and processing on
    the old school analog. In analog, depending on what you do, the signal will be combined for audio video
    or you can keep the signals altogether separate. It is how you treat the signals, how they come in, how they
    go out, what you do with them- all of these things tie in and factor in to the processing of electronics signals
    as previously indicated. Everything matters, even the packaging, the "folds" in the paper, compressed, or
    uncompressed in the new world of signal processing.

Additionally, you have to follow special rules with the internet or when transmitting any signal to the
    general public. We already talked about most of the rules on receiving signals. I sincerely hope this
    discourse clears up any confusion. The signal is still modulated and processed- depending upon what
    scheme and method one chooses to use. It is how you treat the signal throughout the path of travel
    that is going to result in what you produce in the end as your outcome.

God Bless. Have a great day.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05