• Re: Watch this: video Amazon energy saving

From KenW@21:1/5 to trevor.guilday@gmail.com on Wed Jul 6 09:34:44 2022
    On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 08:19:29 -0700 (PDT), Trevor Guilday <trevor.guilday@gmail.com> wrote:

I just found this company that talks about free solar panels for Connecticut homeowners.

https://ecogenamerica.com/free-solar-panels-connecticut/

Do you know if any other states provide free solar?

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 10:33:00 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
    On 1/2/20 9:24 AM, pf...@aol.com wrote:
    a) You have a 'free' source of original funding.
    So, just for laughs, I followed one of those links for "free Solar"
    Went though the calculations and such.
    Then found out I needed to pay $3500 up front.
    Perhaps I missed the part about free.

--
    "I am a river to my people."
    Jeff-1.0
    WA6FWi
    http:foxsmercantile.com

NOTHING IS REALLY FREE ! Connecticut has VERY high taxes and is run
    by Demon-crats.

KenW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Trevor Guilday@21:1/5 to Fox's Mercantile on Wed Jul 6 08:19:29 2022
    I just found this company that talks about free solar panels for Connecticut homeowners.

https://ecogenamerica.com/free-solar-panels-connecticut/

Do you know if any other states provide free solar?

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 10:33:00 AM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
    On 1/2/20 9:24 AM, pf...@aol.com wrote:
    a) You have a 'free' source of original funding.
    So, just for laughs, I followed one of those links for "free Solar"
    Went though the calculations and such.
    Then found out I needed to pay $3500 up front.
    Perhaps I missed the part about free.

--
    "I am a river to my people."
    Jeff-1.0
    WA6FWi
    http:foxsmercantile.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 10:26:48 2022
    Despite the politically idiotic reply from Ken, residential scale solar is generally a bad idea:

a) It is NOT free. Just for giggles, I responded to such an ad for Pennsylvania. That "Free" installation would have cost me $35,000 at 2.5% interest over 20 years. The shill explained very carefully to me that "Free" meant "No Money Down".
    b) Most of these ads claim that it increases the value of the house it is on, dollar-for-dollar. So, I asked my insurance agent about that. His statement: It does increase your value over the first 8 - 10 years, by about half the installed value. But it
    will increase your premium by about 20% to as much as 35%.
    c) It is a depreciating asset, with, essentially NO value after roughly 20 years. I am unclear on the tax implications of that (there may be some).
    d) After that roughly 20 years, it becomes an increasing liability - as it reaches the end-of-service life, removal and disposal is a cost.
    e) Single grid-tie inverters (one inverter for the entire array) have a general service-life in a residential application of about 10-12 years. At which point, they must be replaced. Micro-inverters (one on each panel) about 1/2 to 1/3 of that.
    f) Only the tax subsidy makes it practical and brings the 'payback' into the under-12-year range. And that subsidy comes at the expense of other taxpayers.
    g) At no point in the shill was any sort of maintenance mentioned. Keep in mind that a solar panel consists of many cells. These cells are connected in a series-parallel arrangement such that if any one cell in a group is compromised - snow, leaves, dirt,
    bird-poop (yes, bird poop), that entire group is off-line. Here in Pennsylvania, maintenance would entail leaf removal quite often, in our neighborhood anyway.
    h) Generation figures are generally based on ideal conditions - that is full sunlight, at the equator, with the panels at a clean right-angle to the sun. North of the Tropic of Cancer, summer levels gradually increase as one goes north - with winter
    levels decreasing. And solar angles change as well.
    i) Of course, the sun does not shine at night. For an additional $15,000, I could have had a battery array (Tesla) to store power as-needed. With, roughly, a 10-year system life.
    j) These are just the obvious issues.

So, if you are ever approached by a solar sales person - and are into a bit of sadism - state that you are VERY interested, but you would like the individual to present the "Full LIFETIME Cost" of the installation, to include:
    1. The source and cost of the panels, including the cost of transportation FOB the jobsite.
    2. The cost of cleaning up the mining wastes and disposal of that material.
    3. The cost of the racking and mounting system as above.
    4. The cost of a new roof (if the existing roof is more than 10 years old, or unsuitable for solar panels).
    5. The cost of the inverter(s) as above. And the guaranteed minimum service-life for the inverters.
    6. The cost of installation and tying into the grid.
    7. The expected service life of the system.
    8. The (presumably) guaranteed minimum generation over that time.
    10. The cost of removal and proper disposition, to include an allowance for roof repairs (and there will be those costs).

All of the above in 2022 dollars, of course.

Now do a "Time-Value-Of-Money calculation on that total over 20 years, use 4% for inflation (interest rate). Using that $35,000 estimated cost, were I to put that in a bank at 4%, it would be worth $76,689.31 in 20 years. If I made $200/month deposits to
    a savings account at 2.5%, it would be worth $62,839.86.

Questions to ask yourself:

* Is the cost of the system spread over 20 years anticipated to be more, or less, than my electric-only energy bill? You are replacing one cost with another - so it is best to know what that cost is, in reality.
    * There is a cost to be connected to the grid in any case. How much is that cost?
    * Which would you rather have in 20 years? A lump of cash, or a lump of nearly-expired solar panels?

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KenW@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 12:39:44 2022
    My Daughter installed solar here in Colorado. Never asked what it
    cost, but cost was spread over years. It did save plenty on electric
    though. She moved to Florida.!

KenW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to KenW on Wed Jul 6 12:49:02 2022
    On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 2:39:48 PM UTC-4, KenW wrote:
    My Daughter installed solar here in Colorado. Never asked what it
    cost, but cost was spread over years. It did save plenty on electric
    though. She moved to Florida.!

KenW

And the sky remains, generally, up.

There are several states I would never live in, in no particular order:

Oregon People California Climate & People
    Florida People & Climate
    Arizona Climate
    New Mexico Climate Mississippi/Alabama/South Carolina/Tennessee People

There are several I have lived in, and would again.

New York
    Texas (Austin area)
    Rhode Island
    Michigan
    Illinois

And there are several I have visited, and would live in - some parts, anyway:

Any New England state.
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Colorado

To the he rest, I am indifferent. I have visited all but two (North Dakota and Hawaii).

But, of all of them, Pennsylvania does have, to my way of thinking, generally good people, generally a good climate, exceedingly good healthcare, good tax structure - for me, anyway, and an excellent educational infrastructure from pre-school through
    higher education. Which is, also in my mind, the single most critical indicator of generally good and thoughtful government. An uneducated population is useless in this world at every level. When a simple device such as a ditch-witch has GPS and self-
    guiding capabilities, and when Broccoli pickers have sensor-equipped drones pointing to the ripest plants.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KenW@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 16:14:49 2022
    But, of all of them, Pennsylvania does have, to my way of thinking, generally good people, generally a good climate, exceedingly good healthcare, good tax structure - for me, anyway, and an excellent educational infrastructure from pre-school through
    higher education. Which is, also in my mind, the single most critical indicator of generally good and thoughtful government. An uneducated population is useless in this world at every level. When a simple device such as a ditch-witch has GPS and self-
    guiding capabilities, and when Broccoli pickers have sensor-equipped drones pointing to the ripest plants.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

I am from New Jersey and used to visit my Daughter here in CO. Came
    out one time, it was 104f with very low humidity. That would have been
    a killer in NJ. That was the main reason I retired here.

KenW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From whit3rd@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Thu Jul 7 13:13:42 2022
    On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 10:26:51 AM UTC-7, Peter W. wrote:
    Despite the politically idiotic reply from Ken, residential scale solar is generally a bad idea:

a) It is NOT free. ... "Free" meant "No Money Down".
    b) Most of these ads claim that it increases the value of the house it is on...
    c) It is a depreciating asset, with, essentially NO value after roughly 20 years. I am unclear on the tax implications of that (there may be some).
    d) After that roughly 20 years, it becomes an increasing liability - as it reaches the end-of-service life, removal and disposal is a cost.
    e) Single grid-tie inverters (one inverter for the entire array) have a general service-life in a residential application of about 10-12 years. At which point, they must be replaced. Micro-inverters (one on each panel) about 1/2 to 1/3 of that.
    f) Only the tax subsidy makes it practical and brings the 'payback' into the under-12-year range. And that subsidy comes at the expense of other taxpayers.
    g) At no point in the shill was any sort of maintenance mentioned.
    h) Generation figures are generally based on ideal conditions - that is full sunlight, at the equator, with the panels at a clean right-angle to the sun. North of the Tropic of Cancer, summer levels gradually increase as one goes north - with winter

The other points are sound, but the insolation is well-tabulated for most geographic regions, and
    that is NOT an uncertainty, unless climate change is an important modulation.

* Is the cost of the system spread over 20 years anticipated to be more, or less, than my electric-only energy bill? You are replacing one cost with another - so it is best to know what that cost is, in reality.

Here, there is a problem: if you want to know the electric-only energy bill's expected cost in
    twenty years, the fact that burying CO2 waste must be considered means that the effective cost of coal
    might have to be quintupled...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 8 04:25:19 2022
    Here, there is a problem: if you want to know the electric-only energy bill's expected cost in
    twenty years, the fact that burying CO2 waste must be considered means that the effective cost of coal
    might have to be quintupled...

All that you write is true - as far as it goes. But, there are other options than coal. Writing just for ourselves and our two houses:
    a) We purchase our power from a consortium that uses, exclusively, wind and (planned) cycled hydro power. Cycled hydro power - pump the water up the hill at night when power is cheap, run it down during the day when it is not. Our 'generation' portion (
    that power) is $0.0644 per KWH, locked for three years from 1/1/2022. It is mostly from the Rocky Ridge Wind Farm in central PA, and two other nearby. The cycled hydro is in the permitting stage - will it be built? Not sure, not relevant. What is
    relevant: No coal involved.
    b) Agreed on the cost of coal - and "quintupled" is probably conservative if one considered actual, legitimate restoration of the land after extraction.
    c) My cynicism towards solar is based on being involved with the installation of a total of 20 MW of solar power across four farms in Canada and Vermont - these were utility-sized installation using SOTA technology and materials for the times (2014/15/16)
    . The Canadian installations broke even at CDN $0.78/KWH based on a 20 year life. The Vermont installation broke even at US$0.57 KWH - both guaranteed by the local Utility contracted to purchase the power.

Now, using your numbers at 5X - and, I think legitimately, lets extend that to the total cost of coal-generation today - which, in this region is about $0.055/KWH. That would come to $0.275. It would take a 10-fold increase to reach the (actual) cost of
    solar power at the utility level.

As you are, if I remember correctly, in the Pacific Northwest - your region is particularly unhappy for reliable solar.
    As we are in the Mid-Atlantic region, our solar angles are reasonable - but in a heavily treed township, and in a forested area for our summer house, leaf clutter is a serious issue. On the other hand - Pennsylvania has some of the best wind conditions
    in the greater region, and seems to be exploiting them. Other issues, as many throw 'birds' at wind-power:
    1. How many tons of mercury do coal plants make? And the effect on all life, not just birds is?
    2. Larger, slower turbines confuse birds far less than smaller, faster ones - such that the Hawk Mountain Raptor Conservancy was (and is) involved in designing wind installations in the region.

And so forth.

Were it up to me, nuclear power - using, again, the latest technology, and sized well (as in US Navy-sized) would be the way to go. Oh, nuclear waste, is it? Let me see: There are something like 1,500 underground test sites in Nevada - each one of which
    will be fatally radioactive for the distant future. From Wiki: The radius r (in feet) of the cavity is proportional to the cube root of the yield y (in kilotons), r = 55 * {\displaystyle {\sqrt[{3}]{y}}}{\sqrt[ {3}]{y}}; an 8 kiloton explosion will
    create a cavity with radius of 110 feet (34 m).
    There is enough capacity there for all the waste generated here in the US since day-1 and for hundreds of years to come. The issue is, of course, getting it there.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stephen Wolstenholme@21:1/5 to legg on Fri Jul 8 15:46:44 2022
    On Fri, 08 Jul 2022 10:19:40 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

Hell, buddy, we just install the damn things . . . . .

No if it's an obvious fraud or spam.

--
    Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From legg@21:1/5 to peterwieck33@gmail.com on Fri Jul 8 10:19:40 2022
    On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 10:26:48 -0700 (PDT), "Peter W."
    <peterwieck33@gmail.com> wrote:

a) It is NOT free. Just for giggles, I responded to such an ad for Pennsylvania. That "Free" installation would have cost me $35,000 at 2.5% interest over 20 years. The shill explained very carefully to me that "Free" meant "No Money Down".
    b) Most of these ads claim that it increases the value of the house it is on, dollar-for-dollar. So, I asked my insurance agent about that. His statement: It does increase your value over the first 8 - 10 years, by about half the installed value. But it
    will increase your premium by about 20% to as much as 35%.
    g) At no point in the shill was any sort of maintenance mentioned. Keep in mind that a solar panel consists of many cells. These cells are connected in a series-parallel arrangement such that if any one cell in a group is compromised - snow, leaves,
    dirt, bird-poop (yes, bird poop), that entire group is off-line. Here in Pennsylvania, maintenance would entail leaf removal quite often, in our neighborhood anyway.
    i) Of course, the sun does not shine at night. For an additional $15,000, I could have had a battery array (Tesla) to store power as-needed. With, roughly, a 10-year system life.
    j) These are just the obvious issues.

So, if you are ever approached by a solar sales person - and are into a bit of sadism - state that you are VERY interested, but you would like the individual to present the "Full LIFETIME Cost" of the installation, to include:
    1. The source and cost of the panels, including the cost of transportation FOB the jobsite.
    2. The cost of cleaning up the mining wastes and disposal of that material. >3. The cost of the racking and mounting system as above.
    4. The cost of a new roof (if the existing roof is more than 10 years old, or unsuitable for solar panels).
    5. The cost of the inverter(s) as above. And the guaranteed minimum service-life for the inverters.
    6. The cost of installation and tying into the grid.
    7. The expected service life of the system.
    8. The (presumably) guaranteed minimum generation over that time.
    10. The cost of removal and proper disposition, to include an allowance for roof repairs (and there will be those costs).

All of the above in 2022 dollars, of course.

Now do a "Time-Value-Of-Money calculation on that total over 20 years, use 4% for inflation (interest rate). Using that $35,000 estimated cost, were I to put that in a bank at 4%, it would be worth $76,689.31 in 20 years. If I made $200/month deposits
    to a savings account at 2.5%, it would be worth $62,839.86.

Questions to ask yourself:

* There is a cost to be connected to the grid in any case. How much is that cost?
    * Which would you rather have in 20 years? A lump of cash, or a lump of nearly-expired solar panels?

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

;-)

RL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 8 10:00:16 2022

Let's be a bit careful about "Fraud" - although prima-facia, I agree on 'Spam' as a good descriptive of the emails.

You will be given very artful language in the presentation.
    You will be given very optimistic figures - however, the fine print will describe how they were derived.
    You *will not* be given the various subtle requirements in the presentation - such as the age, type, or condition of the roof required and/or the substrate (sheathing & rafter-spacing for example, or that slate roofs (common around here) are not suitable
    for solar panels).
    You *will not* be given any sort of maintenance implications.
    You *will not* be given service-life expectancies of the peripherals (inverters, battery-banks, if any and similar).

So, absolutely not fraud- by-commission.

However, if you ask after all/some of the above, and continue to get the same artful language, NOW you are in fraud-by-omission territory.

So, the installer is typically a third-party contractor at arm's length to the end-user with the Shill handling the process. In our case, the Shill was none-other than the Sierra Club, and when I called them on the process, they immediately stated that
    they were working with a "Partner" and received a commission for every referral. We quit them at that moment. Between the Nature Conservancy, Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (we have been to their facility in Kenya), Audubon, and several other more honest
    organizations, we have no need for a blatant Shill.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From legg@21:1/5 to steve@easynn.com on Sat Jul 9 10:01:30 2022
    On Fri, 08 Jul 2022 15:46:44 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
    <steve@easynn.com> wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jul 2022 10:19:40 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

Just saying, it's the buyer's responsibility to figure
    that and anything else, out.

It's a lot simpler in the medium term - speculation on long
    term trends are pointless if the materials at hand are toy
    quality and your budget is going to get crapped on every
    five years or so, by clowns in office, overseas.

RL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 9 08:00:36 2022

a) The average consumer knows less about solar than he/she knows about the US Constitution.
    b) The average sales person in the Solar Industry, based on personal experience, has the ethics of the typical congress member, and the morals of the typical Evangelical preacher.

True, "Caveat Emptor" is applicable. At the same time, the Solar Industry, and its Shills owes the average consumer honest and complete answers to specific questions. Certainly no less than that. What is clear, however, from the advertising out there is
    that those 'honest answers' are thin on the ground.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ali J@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Mon Oct 24 01:39:57 2022
    On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 11:00:39 AM UTC-4, Peter W. wrote:
    a) The average consumer knows less about solar than he/she knows about the US Constitution.
    b) The average sales person in the Solar Industry, based on personal experience, has the ethics of the typical congress member, and the morals of the typical Evangelical preacher.

True, "Caveat Emptor" is applicable. At the same time, the Solar Industry, and its Shills owes the average consumer honest and complete answers to specific questions. Certainly no less than that. What is clear, however, from the advertising out there
    is that those 'honest answers' are thin on the ground.
    Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

I just came across some good news here about solar's many benefits in Pennsylvania: https://inspiritingly.com/solar-pa/

Beyond reducing your utility bill, the tax credits are amazing, standing at 26% federal, in addition to much more from States and even some local financial incentives. Not only that but it provides American jobs that CAN'T be outsourced.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 24 04:11:09 2022
    Latest proposal we had from a 'legitimate' solar installer (September) would cost us $32,000 up front, $22,400 after subsidies, and have an 11year, 4 month payback. Not my numbers. The installer offered, what he described as 'very generous' financing at
    3.2%. That comes it at $218.37 per month for ten years, or a total of $26,204.40. Extending the payback to just over 13 years. Again, not my numbers, but those provided by the installer. This for a 10KW roof-mounted installation. Not including any
    related roof repairs. Yes, we have enough roof facing south to accommodate this level of installation.

At this moment, we have a locked in contract with a renewable provider for our electric power at $0.0630 KWH for the next three years, with four (4) three-year options at a capped rise of 8% every three years. Our present monthly electric bill (annual
    average/12) is $140/month. Let's use the rate after the third option $152.28. We will pay our local utility to transport the power in any case one way or the other, but somewhat less for the power we consume on-site - which will not be transported. So,
    let's look at a blended rate of $0.10/KWH, vs. the $0.14 we are paying now for both generation and transport. And let's use 20% of our present consumption. So, we will still be paying the power company $37/month for small use, and connection fees. So,
    our average savings will be, in reality, very roughly $120/month. Factor inflation, make that $200/month.

$26,204.40/200 = 131 months, several days. So, a better number is about an 11 year payback. Better than 'promised' by a few months. What we have not calculated:

a) Any roof repairs - minimal in our case as the roof is only three years old with a 30-year NDL warranty.
    b) Increase in our homeowner's insurance - per our agent (Farmers), that would come to about $400/year.
    c) Maintenance & repair (M&R) - life of a single grid-tie inverter is about 10 years, and the cost would be about $3,500 installed. Micro-Inverters (panel mounted) have about a 6-year life and require removal of the panel to repair. Not cheap. Does not
    include snow and leaf removal. Solar panels are series-mounted cells, so if one cell goes 'dark' the entire string goes dark.
    d) Eventual removal, disposal, and roof repair at end-of-life.

Or, I can have power delivered from the Rocky Ridge wind farm in central PA at a reasonable cost. And have someone else worry about it.

And, take that same $218.37 and put it into an annuity at 4.2% - what they are paying these days - and have $37,208 in the bank after that same 11 years.

We are pretty efficient for a 4,200 s.f. three-story center-hall colonial built in 1890. We use splits (SEER 25) for heating and cooling, central heat is a 97% efficient boiler, and there are thermostatic valves on the radiators. So, we can keep the
    house at a reasonable 58 - 60F in the winter, and eight rooms have splits in them which we may set at any temperature we like.

And, at no time did we steal from other taxpayers.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 24 09:09:02 2022
    Fascinating that you should link to a Canadian website registered just in June of 2022, and updated just today. And, per my protection software, also a phishing site.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 24 09:11:15 2022
    Not to pile it on or anything:

https://ecogenamerica.com/cost-of-solar-panels-in-pa/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bruce bowser@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 30 15:49:02 2022
    Peter,
    solar and wind are growing, the rest are dead (or they just don't know it, yet)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Layman@21:1/5 to bruce bowser on Mon Oct 31 08:46:56 2022
    On 30/10/2022 22:49, bruce bowser wrote:
    Peter,

Unless battery storage is improved and expanded exponentially, that
    would only work with a world-wide grid. Wind power is not predictable or reliable, and in winter when you most need it you can get cols when no
    wind blows for days. So you have a world-wide grid to link vast solar
    arrays on both sides of the globe to ensure that power is available
    everywhere day and night.

It would be similar to the gas pipeline "grid" we have at present in
    Europe. That's working well with Russian gas, isn't it?...

--

Jeff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to Jeff Layman on Mon Oct 31 04:09:53 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 4:47:01 AM UTC-4, Jeff Layman wrote:
    On 30/10/2022 22:49, bruce bowser wrote:
    Peter,

Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Schiller

Both wind and solar require pretty large footprints to make power at utility quantities.

Wind requires roughly one acre per megawatt - this assuming that the other open land required for clearances may also be used for farming or other similar purposes - just not housing, public buildings or schools.
    A solar farm requires between five (5) and ten (10) acres per megawatt depending on location. Use 7.5.
    Nuclear power requires very roughly 10% of the footprint of solar, but the plants produce far more power per acre, so the footprints for a large nuclear plant seem large - but they are not.
    There is enough nuclear fuel on the planet *right now* to last very nearly 1,000 years at present levels of consumption. Put another way, present technology uses about 9.5% of the energy in the fuel. Using presently available processes and technologies,
    that may be extended to well over 50%.
    There are over 1,500 boreholes in Nevada, alone that will be radioactive for the next 30,000 years or so. One (1) of the larger ones is capable of holding all the nuclear waste generated from all nuclear power plants world-wide. There are 1,500 of them,
    once again. In Nevada, alone. Once again.
    93 US-based nuclear plants produce 19% of the total power used in the US. Electricity consumption in the United States totaled 3,930 terawatt hours in 2021. Of that, 746.7 terawatt-hours were generated by nuclear plants.
    One (1) Terawatt = One Million (1,000,000) megawatts.
    So, vastly oversimplified, the standing capacity for power generation must be 1/24th of 1/365th of total consumption.
    That comes to 85,240 MW for nuclear.
    That comes to 448,639 MW entirely.
    490 nuclear plants using present-day technology would do it, at an average of 100 acres each, or 49,000 acres.
    That comes to 3,364,726 acres for solar.
    That comes to 4.3 Rhode Islands. Very nearly four times that in actual practice, as last I looked the sun does not shine at night, weather still happens, and above the tropics, seasonal variations are an issue.

As to wind, those locations where it is practical are limited such that it is doubtful that, for instance, whether any of several interior US states would have sufficient capacity, and areas where there are regular high winds, deep cold or other
    conditions would also be limited.

Any nuclear ship or submarine will demonstrate the portability of nuclear power.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Guilday@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Tue Jan 24 13:46:09 2023
    On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 12:11:18 PM UTC-4, Peter W. wrote:

Thanks for sharing Peter. I read through a lot of great articles on EcoGen America that helped me understand solar.

I live in Texas so I found this information about free solar panels in Texas very interesting: https://ecogenamerica.com/free-solar-in-texas/

Haven't decided to install solar panels on my house yet, but thinking about doing it soon!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to Trevor Guilday on Wed Jan 25 06:57:29 2023
    On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 4:46:12 PM UTC-5, Trevor Guilday wrote:

Thanks for sharing Peter. I read through a lot of great articles on EcoGen America that helped me understand solar.

I live in Texas so I found this information about free solar panels in Texas very interesting: https://ecogenamerica.com/free-solar-in-texas/

Haven't decided to install solar panels on my house yet, but thinking about doing it soon!

It ain't nohow "free" and it ain't nohow "cheap". It is the Solar industry equating "no down payment" with "Free". As noted previously, the Solar Industry as a whole has the ethics of a typical politician, and the morals of a typical evangelical preacher.
    Be VERY careful!

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to Trevor Guilday on Wed Jan 25 06:53:23 2023

Are Solar Panels Free for Texas Residents?
    You can save thousands of dollars from solar energy acquisition through different solar incentives in Texas. Therefore, understanding the Solar Tax Breaks and Texas Solar Incentives is crucial. Although Texas has no statewide solar tax credit or solar
    rebate program, you can cut costs on solar panel installation through the following programs: Texas Net Metering Programs, Texas Solar Rebate Programs, Texans Federal Solar Tax Credits, and Transitioning to Solar Energy in Texas.

According to different reports, solar panel installation could range from $11,730 to $15,870. However, you can save thousands of dollars from solar energy acquisition through different solar incentives in Texas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trevor Guilday@21:1/5 to Peter W. on Thu Apr 6 08:04:18 2023
    On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 9:57:33 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:

It ain't nohow "free" and it ain't nohow "cheap". It is the Solar industry equating "no down payment" with "Free". As noted previously, the Solar Industry as a whole has the ethics of a typical politician, and the morals of a typical evangelical
    preacher. Be VERY careful!
    Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA
    Interesting.. it looks like this resource might be better to get an idea of the cost of solar panels in Texas: https://ecogenamerica.com/texas-solar-costs/

"...The average cost of a 6KW solar energy system in Texas is $16,620 before incentives and $12,899 after applying Texas solar incentives."

I may go with the zero-down option but I've been told there are drawbacks to that option.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter W.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 6 10:01:27 2023
    "...The average cost of a 6KW solar energy system in Texas is $16,620 before incentives and $12,899 after applying Texas solar incentives."

I may go with the zero-down option but I've been told there are drawbacks to that option.

OK: We use about 650 KWH/month, at an average cost of $16.5/KWH.
    Solar Panels are about 280% efficient - per day from rated output. So a 6,000 (6kw) installation will make 16.8 KW (per day).
    Which comes to 504 KWH/month.
    Assuming 100% cost avoidance - that is no maintenance, interest, financing and so forth, at our rates, we will save $83.16/month.
    That comes to $998 per year.
    $16,620/998 = 16.65 years of payback.
    Texas cost-of-power, on average is $0.14/kwh. Increasing the payback to 19.63 years.

Now, assuming you see fit to take the state & Federal subsidies - that is have other taxpayers cover some of your costs, the payback becomes 13 and 17 years respectively.

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05