• Conflict of Interest by Commissioners, and CAFO subsidies? Re: Geotherm

From plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to plutonium....@gmail.com on Sat Jan 16 16:05:01 2016
    On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 1:07:42 AM UTC-6, plutonium....@gmail.com wrote: (snipped)

NOTE: I feel the opposition is not going to win this, and any suggestions by people would be appreciated. We finally won the battle of the oil refinery, but it looks like the CAFO is going to bowl us over. Can we demand this CAFO issue be put on a
    ballot rather than have a few Commissioners decide?

Does anyone know if CONFLICT OF INTEREST for Board of Commissioners is spelled out in any reference book? The reason I ask is that the head of this Commissioners is pushy push push on CAFOs and has family CAFOs.

So is there a Reference manual spelling out whether persons can be Commissioners and use the job to promote their family economic interests?

At the hearings so far for changes to the existing law, there has been a huge upswell of opposition. People who want to keep the present law as is, with no changes. Yet the Commissioners keep going forward, perhaps only because the head of the Clay
    County Commission insists and ignores the opposition.

He has been quoted as saying "the present law cannot be enforced", which to me does not make sense that why would an expanded increased animal confinement law be enforceable when the present smaller law is not enforceable.

Here I have to ask another question? Is animal confinement allowed government subsidies? So that a confinement of small number of animals is not entitled to much subsidy but that a large number of animals confined, and then stricken with disease is given
    full compensation by the government? How much is CAFOs given government money?

So, please, anyone, can you tell me if there is codified rules of Commissioners as to whether their job is a Conflict of Interest for personal gain or for looking after the general welfare of the entire people of Clay County? And, please, can someone
    indicate the degree of subsidy of CAFOs?

AP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to plutonium....@gmail.com on Sun Jan 17 09:59:46 2016
    On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 6:05:03 PM UTC-6, plutonium....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 1:07:42 AM UTC-6, plutonium....@gmail.com wrote:
    (snipped)

NOTE: I feel the opposition is not going to win this, and any suggestions by people would be appreciated. We finally won the battle of the oil refinery, but it looks like the CAFO is going to bowl us over. Can we demand this CAFO issue be put on a
    ballot rather than have a few Commissioners decide?

Does anyone know if CONFLICT OF INTEREST for Board of Commissioners is spelled out in any reference book? The reason I ask is that the head of this Commissioners is pushy push push on CAFOs and has family CAFOs.

It was asked of the head commissioner by another commissioner how his business could go broke under the present law and he replied something about "lagoon... " only difficult to hear in the room at that time.

And a person gave testimony with the same last name as the head commissioner that he would like to expand his herd from 150.

So, I ask the question, if a head commissioner or his family has cattle/cows and wants to increase the allowed number in a new law-- is that not CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

There was an article in the Argus Leader today of where South Dakota senators were culpable of conflict of interest.

So is there a Reference manual spelling out whether persons can be Commissioners and use the job to promote their family economic interests?

So far I have been able to find on the Web, this:

The law goes on to occasionally FORCE you to remove yourself. No such official may participate in discussing or vote on an issue if the following circumstances apply SDCL 6-1-17 : The official has a direct pecuniary interest in the matter before the
    governing body...

At the hearings so far for changes to the existing law, there has been a huge upswell of opposition. People who want to keep the present law as is, with no changes. Yet the Commissioners keep going forward, perhaps only because the head of the Clay
    County Commission insists and ignores the opposition.

He has been quoted as saying "the present law cannot be enforced", which to me does not make sense that why would an expanded increased animal confinement law be enforceable when the present smaller law is not enforceable.

Here I have to ask another question? Is animal confinement allowed government subsidies? So that a confinement of small number of animals is not entitled to much subsidy but that a large number of animals confined, and then stricken with disease is
    given full compensation by the government? How much is CAFOs given government money?

I am looking for a motivation factor as to why you would want to go so large scale in animal numbers, and have to hire all that work help. Is it because at large numbers, Uncle Sam rescues you for losses?

So, please, anyone, can you tell me if there is codified rules of Commissioners as to whether their job is a Conflict of Interest for personal gain or for looking after the general welfare of the entire people of Clay County? And, please, can someone
    indicate the degree of subsidy of CAFOs?

AP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)