• Cold-adapted dinosaurs took over in the Jurassic?

From erik simpson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 3 08:33:59 2022
    Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low latitude
    evironments had been very warm and wet, and the predominant animals were crocodile-related (and other large reptilian forms). Then came volcanic winters and the cold weather adaptations of hte dinosaurs gave them an edge in the early Jurassic.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abo6342

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Sun Jul 3 17:59:32 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:34:00 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote:
    Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low latitude
    evironments had been very warm and wet, and the predominant animals were crocodile-related (and other large reptilian forms). Then came volcanic winters and the cold weather adaptations of hte dinosaurs gave them an edge in the early Jurassic.

So these tracks survived exposed till the glaciers pushed over them, depositing little stones in the footprints. Pics? And they "were ready"? As if the dinos that made the tracks were being chased by an approaching glacier...for some reason "Yankee
    Doodle Dandy" is flashing through my mind.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Daud Deden@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Sun Jul 3 21:13:13 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 11:34:00 AM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:

Makes sense to me. Filaments, downy feathers aren't much use for anything else other than insulation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to Glenn on Sun Jul 3 21:58:15 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 5:59:33 PM UTC-7, Glenn wrote:

So these tracks survived exposed till the glaciers pushed over them, depositing little stones in the footprints. Pics? And they "were ready"? As if the dinos that made the tracks were being chased by an approaching glacier...for some reason "Yankee

Congratulations! At least you read what I said. Unfortunately, I stumbled in my description of the lake shore. The shore has dinosaur tracks. The lakebed sediments contain the expected fine sand, but also pebbles, such as would be frozen in when the
    lake froze (or at the shoreline froze). They would be deposited in the lake when the ice went out inthe spring, The "glacier-rafted" was my error. The paper (which has pictures, by the way) doesn't make that
    error. Your mind is wasting time. If you're interested, you could look at the article.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Mon Jul 4 14:31:43 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 12:58:16 AM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:

Congratulations! At least you read what I said. Unfortunately, I stumbled in my description of the lake shore. The shore has dinosaur tracks.

I couldn't find pictures of tracks in the article. Why would they be omitted?

The lakebed sediments contain the expected fine sand, but also pebbles, such as would be frozen in when the lake froze (or at the shoreline froze).
    They would be deposited in the lake when the ice went out inthe spring, The "glacier-rafted" was my error. The paper (which has pictures, by the way) doesn't make that error.

It does, however, defy the conventional wisdom that turtles are secondarily anapsid and
    closer to birds than are lepidosaurians.

I was surprised to see there weren't any large species of either group in the early Jurassic;
    also that Lissamphibians are believed to go all the way back to before the beginning of the Permian,
    despite the lack of fossils until the beginning of the Triassic.

Your mind is wasting time. If you're interested, you could look at the article.

Good advice. Too bad you don't always follow it. An awful lot of wasted time could have been avoided if you had
    read two articles more carefully than you did. Glenn linked them here:

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.bio.paleontology/c/o7a-W7iuTZE/m/qBnnno4cBAAJ Re: Questions about BBC’s “Prehistoric Planet” Episode 1

Peter Nyikos
    Professor, Department of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
    University of South Carolina
    https://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Peter Nyikos on Mon Jul 4 16:21:22 2022
    On 7/4/22 2:31 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

Congratulations! At least you read what I said. Unfortunately, I stumbled in my description of the lake shore. The shore has dinosaur tracks.

The lakebed sediments contain the expected fine sand, but also pebbles, such as would be frozen in when the lake froze (or at the shoreline froze).
    They would be deposited in the lake when the ice went out inthe spring, The "glacier-rafted" was my error. The paper (which has pictures, by the way) doesn't make that error.

It does, however, defy the conventional wisdom that turtles are secondarily anapsid and

I looked around but couldn't find that defiance explicitly. Did you
    infer it from something in the article, and if so, what?

That conventional wisdom is quite well supported. And of course in order
    not to be secondarily anapside they would have to be equally far from
    both birds and lepidosaurs, i.e. originating below the diapsid node.
    There may be a couple of paleontologists who still think they're
    parareptiles, but I'm not sure that's still true.

I was surprised to see there weren't any large species of either group in the early Jurassic;
    also that Lissamphibians are believed to go all the way back to before the beginning of the Permian,

Good advice. Too bad you don't always follow it. An awful lot of wasted time could have been avoided if you had

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.bio.paleontology/c/o7a-W7iuTZE/m/qBnnno4cBAAJ Re: Questions about BBC’s “Prehistoric Planet” Episode 1

You seem intent on starting and/or continuing fights whenever possible.
    How does that make sci.bio.paleontology better?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Mon Jul 4 19:06:56 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 7:21:30 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

You didn't take a good look at Fig. 3. I would have thought your eyes would have
    been drawn to that cladogram like bees to a flowering bush.

Our big blueberry bushes made that simile a natural.

That, in fact, was the conventional wisdom before molecular systematics totally dethroned morphological.

Trouble is, a few new discoveries of fossil stem turtles could upset the apple-cart.

There may be a couple of paleontologists who still think they're parareptiles, but I'm not sure that's still true.

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.bio.paleontology/c/o7a-W7iuTZE/m/qBnnno4cBAAJ
    Re: Questions about BBC’s “Prehistoric Planet” Episode 1

<snip shameless flamebait by Harshman>

Peter Nyikos
    Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
    Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia
    http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Peter Nyikos on Mon Jul 4 21:46:06 2022
    On 7/4/22 7:06 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

You didn't take a good look at Fig. 3. I would have thought your eyes would have
    been drawn to that cladogram like bees to a flowering bush.

Ah, I see. They used S. J. Nesbitt, The early evolution of archosaurs: Relationships and the origin of major clades. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist.
    352, 1–292 (2011) as an assumed phylogeny, and apparently it adopts the parareptile theory.

Our big blueberry bushes made that simile a natural.

That, in fact, was the conventional wisdom before molecular systematics totally
    dethroned morphological.

Not exactly. The idea that turtles are diapsids originally came from paleontology, Olivier Rieppel. Of course he had them as sauropterygians,
    not archosauromorphs. But still diapsids.

Trouble is, a few new discoveries of fossil stem turtles could upset the apple-cart.

Doubtful, if you consider all the data. There just isn't that much data
    you can get from morphology compared to what you can get from whole genomes.

There may be a couple of paleontologists who still think they're
    parareptiles, but I'm not sure that's still true.

Another superfluous bit. Why not just snip it if you don't want to
    reply? Why the need to characterize it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Wed Jul 6 07:06:01 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 12:46:13 AM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

read two articles more carefully than you did. Glenn linked them here: >>>

Another superfluous bit.

Your flamebait exemplified your obsession with protecting Erik Simpson from the
    consequences of his irresponsible behavior. The "awful lot of wasted time" [see above]
    on that other thread was due to you giving full vent to this obsession and
    my having to issue corrections to keep newcomer The Sight Reader
    from having the wool pulled over his eyes.

Why not just snip it if you don't want to

Why the need for you to respond at all? Were you so obsessed by your concern for Erik,
    that you did not realize that this was the FIRST (and still the only)
    time I directly confronted Erik with his irresponsible behavior?

That is not a rhetorical question. I expect a Yes or No answer. You may accompany
    it with a denial of any obsession by you, if you wish.

Thanks to your overprotective behavior, Erik had up to then been in a position where he could act blissfully unaware of the damage he had done.

Peter Nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Peter Nyikos on Wed Jul 6 09:46:04 2022
    On 7/6/22 7:06 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

read two articles more carefully than you did. Glenn linked them here: >>>>>

Another superfluous bit.

consequences of his irresponsible behavior. The "awful lot of wasted time" [see above]
    on that other thread was due to you giving full vent to this obsession and
    my having to issue corrections to keep newcomer The Sight Reader

And you were behaving so well for a while since your return. Pull back
    from that abyss.

Why the need for you to respond at all? Were you so obsessed by your concern for Erik,

That is not a rhetorical question. I expect a Yes or No answer. You may accompany

No. Shall we go back to paleontology?

Thanks to your overprotective behavior, Erik had up to then been in a position
    where he could act blissfully unaware of the damage he had done.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to peter2...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 6 12:19:29 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:31:45 PM UTC-7, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:

Let me heat things up.

Lucy's pelvis reconstruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeO0JlZsXio

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Wed Jul 6 13:52:04 2022
    On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 9:46:11 AM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:
    On 7/6/22 7:06 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

read two articles more carefully than you did. Glenn linked them here: >>>>>

Another superfluous bit.

on that other thread was due to you giving full vent to this obsession and my having to issue corrections to keep newcomer The Sight Reader
    And you were behaving so well for a while since your return. Pull back
    from that abyss.

No. Shall we go back to paleontology?
    Thanks to your overprotective behavior, Erik had up to then been in a position
    where he could act blissfully unaware of the damage he had done.

I missed where you obsessively defended me from the onslaught of Peter's scorn, but thanks anyway. I also
    missed where the turtles came into the picture, but that wasn't really germane to the point of the paper. Pictures
    of the dinosaur prints are available in the supplementary material to the paper.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Glenn on Wed Jul 6 14:50:56 2022
    On 7/6/22 12:19 PM, Glenn wrote:

Let me heat things up.

How is this relevant to the subject of cold-adapted dinosaurs or the
    early Jurassic or turtles? And if you had some point to make, what was it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Wed Jul 6 22:49:34 2022
    On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 2:51:02 PM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:

So these tracks survived exposed till the glaciers pushed over them, depositing little stones in the footprints. Pics? And they "were ready"? As if the dinos that made the tracks were being chased by an approaching glacier...for some reason "
    Yankee Doodle Dandy" is flashing through my mind.

Let me heat things up.

Why do you not take your own advice?

"Word of advice: Glenn is best ignored."

What did that have to do with anything? Was it a "point"?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Glenn on Thu Jul 7 16:52:01 2022
    On 7/6/22 10:49 PM, Glenn wrote:
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:31:45 PM UTC-7, peter2...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 12:58:16 AM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:

So these tracks survived exposed till the glaciers pushed over them, depositing little stones in the footprints. Pics? And they "were ready"? As if the dinos that made the tracks were being chased by an approaching glacier...for some reason "

read two articles more carefully than you did. Glenn linked them here: >>>>

Let me heat things up.

Do you agree that you are best ignored? Is there any reason a person
    might like to converse with you?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Thu Jul 7 17:53:55 2022
    On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 4:52:07 PM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:
    On 7/6/22 10:49 PM, Glenn wrote:
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:31:45 PM UTC-7, peter2...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 12:58:16 AM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:34:00 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote: >>>>>>> Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low latitude

Let me heat things up.

Do you agree that you are best ignored? Is there any reason a person
    might like to converse with you?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Fri Jul 8 07:38:30 2022
    On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 4:52:06 PM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:

[to John Harshman:]
    I missed where you obsessively defended me from the onslaught of Peter's scorn,

The obsession went back further, to where he defended you from Glenn's criticism
    of the distorted way you talked about the links Glenn had provided.

I am using "defended" in a traditional talk.origins sense of the word:
    letting people off the hook by attacking their attackers.

John started doing that for you, after you took a gratuitous pot shot at Glenn in reply to The Sight Reader:

[excerpt:
    Be advised that 'Glenn" (in subsequent post) is a locally famous contrarian who can see the downside to any kind of curiosity. Fakes have been presented in paleontology, but they're generally quickly found out. Real fossils are very rarely "too good
    to be true".

Readers may not notice that nothing was said in this thread about "fakes". Yet reconstructions and dating are not absolute and sometimes do reflect a bias, if not an economic motive. So is a fossil that is a composite of parts from different animals,
    or from a different location, a "fake"?

I think you fit the label contrarian more accurately than I, since I provide only truth where you use words such as "generally" and "very rarely" to support your bias, as well as claiming that "real" fossils are rarely "too good to be true", without
    support of any kind offered except your flapping lips.

Word of advice: Glenn is best ignored.
    [end of excerpt from:]

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.bio.paleontology/c/o7a-W7iuTZE/m/iqC0INODBAAJ Re: Questions about BBC’s “Prehistoric Planet” Episode 1
    Jul 1, 2022, 8:48:37 PM

Glenn's criticism of you was valid, as I subsequently made clear to John:

[Peter:]
    Erik seriously misunderstood what those links were all about.
    Have you even looked at them?

[John:]
    No, but it seems clear that he's attacking paleontology, especially in
    the second link, which plays up the prevalence of faked (composite) fossils.

About dishonest merchants and NOT about fossils in museums, where "fakery"
    is obviously used with tongue in cheek until the point, far down the article, where it says:

"And then there are outright fakes" https://fossilcollector.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/fakingit2/

Just as I suspected, you are blindly following an equivocation by Erik, which you are parroting.

[end of excerpt from:] https://groups.google.com/g/sci.bio.paleontology/c/o7a-W7iuTZE/m/MG_AiPnsAAAJ Jul 4, 2022, 3:27:50 PM

In his reply to that, John left all of the above in, but acted as if it had never existed.
    And you have acted as though the whole post never existed, even though the excerpt pinpoints
    how you misunderstood Glenn's second link and thereby misled John.

It's never too late to learn how to be a responsible adult. I hope at least one of you
    is able to pull it off.

Peter Nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Peter Nyikos on Fri Jul 8 08:52:13 2022
    On 7/8/22 8:34 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 at 5:51:02 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

Let me heat things up.

early Jurassic or turtles?

It's off-topic in the most strict sense of the word, but then you
    have gone far further off-topic in a lot of your posts.

Whataboutism?

And if you had some point to make, what was it?

I have no way of reading Glenn's mind, but the video suggests a forgery
    of the same degree of seriousness as the Piltdown forgery.

The video is only three and a half minutes long. I suggest you take a good look,
    then try to find out whether it has been debunked and if so, where.

Be careful to distinguish where it shows clips from a PBS "Nova" program and where Dr. David Menton is editorializing.

Yes, but what point, if any, was Glenn attempting here? I resist
    watching videos. Is there an actual publication that covers any of that material?

PS I dislike the way Glenn avoided answering your second question. Unfortunately,
    evasiveness is all too common around here; I showed a striking example near the end
    of my reply to Erik a bit less than an hour ago.

More whataboutism for the purpose of excusing Glenn's behavior.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Fri Jul 8 08:34:14 2022

Let me heat things up.

The video is only three and a half minutes long. I suggest you take a good look,

Be careful to distinguish where it shows clips from a PBS "Nova" program and where Dr. David Menton is editorializing.

Peter Nyikos
    Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia

PS I dislike the way Glenn avoided answering your second question. Unfortunately,
    evasiveness is all too common around here; I showed a striking example near the end

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to peter2...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 8 10:33:49 2022
    On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 8:34:15 AM UTC-7, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:34:00 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote: >>>>> Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low latitude

read two articles more carefully than you did. Glenn linked them here: >>

Let me heat things up.

Not sure what you mean by that, but Lucy's reconstruction should not be off-topic to the subject of the group, paleontology. As far as "subjects" are concerned, they are still part of the overall subject of paleontology. As you say, but not in any
    stretch of the imagination restricted to John or a selected group of people, does John stay "on-topic" of a specific "subject" thread, if ever. John himself strayed way off topic in that "thread" when he posted his advice that I am best ignored.

You can be seen to stray off-topic here by referring to another "thread" with a different "subject" header, but fossil "reconstructions" can also be seen as relevant to the current topic and discussion of cold_adapted dinosaurs or early Jurassic or
    turtles.

Seems a complicated issue. The "crushed" bones appear to have been claimed to have fossilized in a different shape. I'd be interested in finding a plain language explanation and science behind this reconstruction. For instance, how was this "re-
    fossilization" able to be identified, and assumedly removed by a power tool. Not a peer review article by any means,
    https://northstatescience.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/correcting-creationists-redux-was-lucy%E2%80%99s-pelvis-reconstruction-a-fraud/

Here an atheist activist ranting about creationists, seems to have no problem assuming there was nothing wrong with the reconstruction, using nothing that I can see in the article except the transcript of the PBS video. Yet Lovejoy's "impossible position"
    doesn't fit with Johanson's "illusion":

" OWEN LOVEJOY: This has caused the two bones in fact to fit together so well that they’re in an anatomically impossible position.

DON JOHANSON: The perfect fit was an allusion that made Lucy’s hip bones seems to flair out like a chimps."

Both these men are anthropologists. How is this " fused together in later fossilization" a "perfect fit"? Is it perhaps an indication of bias, assumption and inference that this was an "illusion", or is there hard science behind it that no one wants to
    identify?

And how is it that "some of her bones lying in the mud MUST have been crushed or broken"? (Caps mine) Is that science?

Apparently you dislike my "avoidance" because you regard it as evasiveness. Most everyone else appears to dislike my "avoiding" such questioning because it is often said that I never give my opinion on anything. Do you agree with that? Have you considered what "a point" really means? And why these evolutionists often demand one?
    And what do they do with one when they get it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sight Reader@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 9 13:42:29 2022
    What a fascinating idea! I just kinda skimmed the article, but a cold snap would certainly explain why feathered dinosaurs might have outlasted the pseudosuchians. I’m wondering about the therapsids, though: if I recall correctly, the big cynodonts
    and dicynodonts came from a Permian that was much colder than the Triassic, so I would think the lowering of global temperatures would not have posed a significant challenge for them.

If global cooling was indeed a factor in Triassic extinctions, is there any way global temperatures could have been the DOMINANT factor in the extinctions? Were these bigger therapsids already extinct, or might there be an alternate mechanism other than
    temperature - perhaps something about those atmospheric CO2 concentrations - that led to their demise? Can cold temperatures explain why the smaller, more cursorial crocodylomorphs survived while their bigger cousins did not?

Thanks for any ideas!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Sight Reader on Sat Jul 9 15:00:06 2022
    On 7/9/22 1:42 PM, Sight Reader wrote:
    What a fascinating idea! I just kinda skimmed the article, but a cold snap would certainly explain why feathered dinosaurs might have outlasted the pseudosuchians. I’m wondering about the therapsids, though: if I recall correctly, the big cynodonts
    and dicynodonts came from a Permian that was much colder than the Triassic, so I would think the lowering of global temperatures would not have posed a significant challenge for them.

Well, of course therapsids dominate the large animal fauna today. But
    yes, presumably the Triassic extinction of most non-mammalian therapsids
    needs an explanation, and it probably isn't directly related to a cold snap.

If global cooling was indeed a factor in Triassic extinctions, is there any way global temperatures could have been the DOMINANT factor in the extinctions? Were these bigger therapsids already extinct, or might there be an alternate mechanism other
    than temperature - perhaps something about those atmospheric CO2 concentrations - that led to their demise? Can cold temperatures explain why the smaller, more cursorial crocodylomorphs survived while their bigger cousins did not?

I'm not sure which crocodylomorphs survived, so would have difficulty considering that question. It's really hard to isolate reasons, at this
    long remove, for why some groups or species died and others didn't.
    Physical factors are easier to discern than ecological factors, and
    competition is almost impossible to distinguish. Asteroid impacts make
    things a lot simpler.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to thesigh...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 12:16:37 2022
    Sight Reader, I don't recall whether I told you that I almost never post here on weekends,
    and so, this is the first day I can reply to this post of yours.

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 4:42:30 PM UTC-4, thesigh...@gmail.com wrote:

I believe it was competition from the rapidly evolving archosaurs that is responsible for their demise.
    An interesting parallel is the competition between pterosaurs and early birds. By the end of the Cretaceous, ALL but one or two of the many pterosaur species had wingspreads
    of substantially more than 2 meters; whereas NONE of the birds known from that time had a wingspread greater than that.

And yet, there had been many kinds of small pterosaurs in the Jurassic and early Cretaceous.
    From this I infer that they lost in the competition with birds.

If global cooling was indeed a factor in Triassic extinctions, is there any way global temperatures could have been the DOMINANT factor in the extinctions?

Only in some of them, IMO. I believe the smaller therapsids that evolved into mammals adopted habits
    that made it hard for the archosaurs to prey on them, such as becoming nocturnal and digging burrows.
    The latter practice also made it easier to survive cold weather.

Were these bigger therapsids already extinct, or might there be an alternate mechanism other than temperature - perhaps something about those atmospheric CO2 concentrations - that led to their demise?

Interesting possibility, but we need some connection with differential survival. Excess CO2 may lead
    to more lethargic behavior, perhaps.

Can cold temperatures explain why the smaller, more cursorial crocodylomorphs survived while their bigger cousins did not?

Possibly they had retained the old reptilian habit of hibernating through the winter.

Thanks for any ideas!

I hope some of what I wrote will stimulate your thinking beyond what I did write.

Peter Nyikos
    Univ. of South Carolina in Columbia

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sight Reader@21:1/5 to peter2...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 19:28:35 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 1:16:38 PM UTC-6, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
    Sight Reader, I don't recall whether I told you that I almost never post here on weekends,

Oh, don’t worry about that! I post whenever I find time and am not in any particular rush to see an answer and J Harshman already posted some helpful thoughts!

I believe it was competition from the rapidly evolving archosaurs that is responsible for their demise.

Hmm. Could we check this competition hypothesis by determining exactly when these large therapsids went extinct? If it was indeed archosaur competition that wiped them out, then would you expect therapsid extinction to be accompanied by a concurrent
    flourishing in archosaur populations - especially in the niches the large therapsids occupied? If, conversely, therapsid extinction was concurrent with pseudosuchian extinctions, then might environmental mechanisms - such as Atlantic rift volcanism - be
    a more likely culprit?

By the end of the Cretaceous, ALL but one or two of the many pterosaur species had wingspreads
    of substantially more than 2 meters; whereas NONE of the birds known from that time had a wingspread greater than that.

I wonder if that dynamic was present in the late Triassic as well? It seemed that dinosaurs were positively bursting at the seams in the small predatory roles but were being held off from the large predatory roles until the extinction of the rausuchians.
    Sauropods, of course, seemed to leapfrog the size of everybody with their ability to access and digest completely different types of vegetation than anyone had ever gotten to. However, where were the large therapsids at this time? Were they already gone?
    If not, shouldn’t low-browsing dicynodonts have exploited the disappearance of low-browsing aetosaurs while predatory cynodonts exploited the disappearance of rausuchians?

Possibly they had retained the old reptilian habit of hibernating through the winter.

Ooh! Interesting possibility! Where might those little guys find a safe place to hibernate? I wonder if anyone has ever found a crocodylomorph burrow - or were they even capable of digging?

Thanks again!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Sight Reader on Mon Jul 11 20:52:11 2022
    On 7/11/22 7:28 PM, Sight Reader wrote:

Oh, don’t worry about that! I post whenever I find time and am not in any particular rush to see an answer and J Harshman already posted some helpful thoughts!

Hmm. Could we check this competition hypothesis by determining exactly when these large therapsids went extinct? If it was indeed archosaur competition that wiped them out, then would you expect therapsid extinction to be accompanied by a concurrent
    flourishing in archosaur populations - especially in the niches the large therapsids occupied? If, conversely, therapsid extinction was concurrent with pseudosuchian extinctions, then might environmental mechanisms - such as Atlantic rift volcanism - be
    a more likely culprit?

Since this is happening at the end of the Triassic, it would be
    specifically dinosaurs, not just archosaurs. Only dinosaurs were
    uncommon in the early Triassic but became dominant in the Jurassic.

By the end of the Cretaceous, ALL but one or two of the many pterosaur species had wingspreads

I wonder if that dynamic was present in the late Triassic as well? It seemed that dinosaurs were positively bursting at the seams in the small predatory roles but were being held off from the large predatory roles until the extinction of the
    rausuchians. Sauropods, of course, seemed to leapfrog the size of everybody with their ability to access and digest completely different types of vegetation than anyone had ever gotten to. However, where were the large therapsids at this time? Were they
    already gone? If not, shouldn’t low-browsing dicynodonts have exploited the disappearance of low-browsing aetosaurs while predatory cynodonts exploited the disappearance of rausuchians?

Relative timing is the best guide to competitive extinction, but it
    isn't very good. There's no really good way to recognize it.

Ooh! Interesting possibility! Where might those little guys find a safe place to hibernate? I wonder if anyone has ever found a crocodylomorph burrow - or were they even capable of digging?

Modern crocodiles make burrows in river banks. It's been supposed that
    the survived the K/T extinction for that reason. Burrowing saves you
    from broiling.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to thesigh...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 22:24:19 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 7:28:36 PM UTC-7, thesigh...@gmail.com wrote:
    a more likely culprit?
    I wonder if that dynamic was present in the late Triassic as well? It seemed that dinosaurs were positively bursting at the seams in the small predatory roles but were being held off from the large predatory roles until the extinction of the
    rausuchians. Sauropods, of course, seemed to leapfrog the size of everybody with their ability to access and digest completely different types of vegetation than anyone had ever gotten to. However, where were the large therapsids at this time? Were they
    already gone? If not, shouldn’t low-browsing dicynodonts have exploited the disappearance of low-browsing aetosaurs while predatory cynodonts exploited the disappearance of rausuchians?

Thanks again!

By coincidence, I am currently reading "The Rise and Reign of the Mammals" byStever Brusatte. It's a modern look at current paleotological ideas, lots of history, and not too technical for a persistent layman. I'll give a short summary tomorrow about
    his discussion of the end-Triassic exctinction event and its follow-ons.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sight Reader@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Mon Jul 11 23:25:23 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-6, John Harshman wrote:
    from broiling.

Maybe I’ll need to learn to do that this summer… getting sick of 100 degree days. I wonder - can you tell from a croc’s anatomy that they burrow well? Those cute little crocodylomorphs seem so delicate: would you be able to detect burrowing
    capability from skeletal anatomy?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sight Reader@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Mon Jul 11 23:20:39 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 11:24:20 PM UTC-6, erik simpson wrote:
    By coincidence, I am currently reading "The Rise and Reign of the Mammals" byStever Brusatte. It's a modern look at current paleotological ideas, lots of history, and not too technical for a persistent layman. I'll give a short summary tomorrow about

Ooh ooh, I can’t wait! I think Brusatte is a very talented teacher and works both hard and enthusiastically to make his writing accessible to us laymen who cause most researchers to lose patience.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to Sight Reader on Tue Jul 12 07:04:53 2022
    On 7/11/22 11:25 PM, Sight Reader wrote:
    from broiling.

Maybe I’ll need to learn to do that this summer… getting sick of 100 degree days. I wonder - can you tell from a croc’s anatomy that they burrow well? Those cute little crocodylomorphs seem so delicate: would you be able to detect burrowing

Depends on what they burrow in, I expect. Can you tell from anatomy that
    sea turtles dig holes in beaches? Holes in muddy banks might not be much harder. Ground squirrels don't seem to show much specialization to me.
    Then again, it's obvious that moles are adapted to digging.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to thesigh...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 12 11:28:40 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 2:25:24 AM UTC-4, thesigh...@gmail.com wrote:

from broiling.

When I was talking about burrowing, I was referring to early mammals. Where crocodylomorphs are concerned,
    I was talking of hibernating through the winter. This does not require much burrowing ability. In fact, box turtles
    don't make burrows when they hibernate: they burrow, so to speak, into piles of leaves for the winter.

I don't know whether there was anything comparable to the role of leaves as cover at the end of the Triassic;
    I'm not well versed in the paleobotany of that time.

Peter Nyikos
    Univ. of South Carolina -- standard disclaimer-- http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to thesigh...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 12 15:32:47 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 11:20:40 PM UTC-7, thesigh...@gmail.com wrote:
    Ooh ooh, I can’t wait! I think Brusatte is a very talented teacher and works both hard and enthusiastically to make his writing accessible to us laymen who cause most researchers to lose patience.

Well, I tried a response earlier this afternoon, but it's not here. Imust have blown it off. Maybe that's just as well; I'm not
    particularly qualified to paraphrase a chapter in Brusatte's book, so I'll just briefly describe what he talks about. First, there's
    a couple more books I'll recommend:

"The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs", also by Brusatte.
    "Vertebrate Evolution" by Donald Prothero.

The latter is quite different in its approach, being more of a systematic catalog of the important clades. It's more technical in language,
    but somewhat disappointing that it isn't more extensive with more references. It's also sloppy in editing here and there, but
    overall it's quite informative (at least for me). Pros will want more. All three books are accessible, and can be had for less than
    the cost of a tank of gas.

Brusatte's books are aimed at the interested adult, and are much more story-line organized. He's a fluid writer, and includes
    not only the titular subject but lots of the paleontological history surrounding it.

This is a brief summary of the second chapter of Brusatte's mammal book "Making a mammal". He bookends the chapter with
    two famous mammals; Thrinaxodon and Moganucodon. The former is a cynodont (derived from therapsids) and the latter is
    a mammaliaform (derived from cynodonts). Thrinaxodon appeared very early in the Triassic, soon after the end-Permian mass
    extinction. It resembled a small weasel in size, but retained some of sprawled limbs more characteristic of therapsids. Moganucodon
    was mouse-sized, but its limbs are fully under the body, its principle jaw joint was that of a modern mammal, and there are some
    who would call it a mammal. (Most paleontologists don't, and Brusatte discusses the difference between character-based and
    crown clade definitions. He then calls it a mammal, hoping his peers will forgive him. He would do that in a scientific paper.)

The decrease in size is significant, and continues into the rest of the Mesozoic, as synapsids (us) had their day in the Permian,
    but Mesozoic belonged to the "reptiles". Not dinosaurs yet, they show up just at the end of the Jurassic, but earlier archosaurs
    were formidable claimants of the animal spotlight. The Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction did for many proto-mammals,
    although Moganucodon survived and was widely distributed through the mid-Jurrasic.

This thumbnail doesn't do justice to the book; if you're not a pro, read it. Also to be mentioned, Wikipedia is often very good on
    paleontology, up to date with many references. If I've made any mistakes here, a) I'm not surprised. and b) let me know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Harshman@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Tue Jul 12 18:15:33 2022
    On 7/12/22 3:32 PM, erik simpson wrote:

Well, I tried a response earlier this afternoon, but it's not here. Imust have blown it off. Maybe that's just as well; I'm not
    particularly qualified to paraphrase a chapter in Brusatte's book, so I'll just briefly describe what he talks about. First, there's

The latter is quite different in its approach, being more of a systematic catalog of the important clades. It's more technical in language,
    but somewhat disappointing that it isn't more extensive with more references. It's also sloppy in editing here and there, but
    overall it's quite informative (at least for me). Pros will want more. All three books are accessible, and can be had for less than

Brusatte's books are aimed at the interested adult, and are much more story-line organized. He's a fluid writer, and includes
    not only the titular subject but lots of the paleontological history surrounding it.

This is a brief summary of the second chapter of Brusatte's mammal book "Making a mammal". He bookends the chapter with
    two famous mammals; Thrinaxodon and Moganucodon. The former is a cynodont (derived from therapsids) and the latter is
    a mammaliaform (derived from cynodonts). Thrinaxodon appeared very early in the Triassic, soon after the end-Permian mass
    extinction. It resembled a small weasel in size, but retained some of sprawled limbs more characteristic of therapsids. Moganucodon
    was mouse-sized, but its limbs are fully under the body, its principle jaw joint was that of a modern mammal, and there are some
    who would call it a mammal. (Most paleontologists don't, and Brusatte discusses the difference between character-based and
    crown clade definitions. He then calls it a mammal, hoping his peers will forgive him. He would do that in a scientific paper.)

The decrease in size is significant, and continues into the rest of the Mesozoic, as synapsids (us) had their day in the Permian,
    but Mesozoic belonged to the "reptiles". Not dinosaurs yet, they show up just at the end of the Jurassic, but earlier archosaurs
    were formidable claimants of the animal spotlight. The Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction did for many proto-mammals,
    although Moganucodon survived and was widely distributed through the mid-Jurrasic.

This thumbnail doesn't do justice to the book; if you're not a pro, read it. Also to be mentioned, Wikipedia is often very good on
    paleontology, up to date with many references. If I've made any mistakes here, a) I'm not surprised. and b) let me know.

There's some confusion here. First, mammals are mammaliaforms are
    cynodonts are therapsids. Groups within groups.

Second, dinosaurs appear in the early Triassic, but only become dominant
    toward the end of the Triassic.

Third, Fairly large therapsids persisted until late in the Triassic, dicynodonts for example.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sight Reader@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Tue Jul 12 18:43:30 2022
    Yay, thanks for the response!
    Yes, Brusatte’s “Dinosaur Paleobiology” was one of the most accessible intros I’ve read; I wish I had taken more careful notes while reading it, but I wasn’t as curious about the subject before I read the book than after!

On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 4:32:49 PM UTC-6, erik simpson wrote:

Yes, that Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs was a good one! I’ll need to put the Prothero on my list after I finish these two books I have to read for work and this Cambrian book I’m slogging through.

were formidable claimants of the animal spotlight.

I think this is the statement that might have caused some confusion. I think dinosaurs were supposed to be pretty well developed by the end of the Triassic (early sauropods like Plateosaurus, tons of little guys like Coelophysis, etc, etc). However, the
    big predator role seemed to be taken up by rausuchians and the low browser role seemed to be occupied by the aetosaurs. What I’m less clear on was whether the (wolf-sized?) cynodonts (Cynognathia) and the big dicynodonts (Kannemeyeria, etc) were still
    around at the end of the Triassic. I vaguely remember rumors that there were indeterminate large dicynodont remains that may be dated to the Jurassic, but I’m not sure.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to Glenn on Tue Jul 12 18:46:00 2022
    On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 1:33:51 PM UTC-4, Glenn wrote:
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:34:00 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote: >>>>> Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low
    latitude evironments had been very warm and wet, and the predominant animals were crocodile-related (and other large reptilian forms). Then came volcanic winters and the cold weather adaptations of hte dinosaurs gave them an edge in the early Jurassic.

Let me heat things up.

How is this relevant to the subject of cold-adapted dinosaurs or the early Jurassic or turtles?

Not sure what you mean by that, but Lucy's reconstruction should not be off-topic to the subject of the group, paleontology.

It certainly is on-topic for s.b.p. and also, especially, for sci.anthropolgy.paleo. But if you want to
    post about it there, I strongly recommend that you include the url to the webpage that you
    gave this time around, right in your OP.

Harshman was being rather disingenuous. He was implicitly objecting to your introducing a whole new topic, apparently unconnected to anything that went before,
    without spelling that out. Be glad he didn't ride herd on you, like he often does to me,
    by accusing you of hijacking the thread.

As far as "subjects" are concerned, they are still part of the overall subject of paleontology. As you say, but not in any stretch of the imagination restricted to John or a selected group of people, does John stay "on-topic" of a specific "subject"
    thread, if ever. John himself strayed way off topic in that "thread" when he posted his advice that I am best ignored.

John is addicted to double standards. I'm sure you found that out long ago, perhaps even longer ago than I did.

You can be seen to stray off-topic here by referring to another "thread" with a different "subject" header, but fossil "reconstructions" can also be seen as relevant to the current topic and discussion of cold_adapted dinosaurs or early Jurassic or
    turtles.

Not sure how. Did you have something specific in mind?

John and Erik don't seem to be at all interested in this bombshell.
    John can't bring himself to watch a 3:28 video even after I dropped it.
    Erik hasn't shown any sign of having seen this reply of mine or John's reply to it.

But then, it becomes much less of a bombshell on reading what you write next.

Be careful to distinguish where it shows clips from a PBS "Nova" program and
    where Dr. David Menton is editorializing.

Seems a complicated issue. The "crushed" bones appear to have been claimed to have fossilized in a different shape. I'd be interested in finding a plain language explanation and science behind this reconstruction. For instance, how was this "re-
    fossilization" able to be identified, and assumedly removed by a power tool. Not a peer review article by any means,
    https://northstatescience.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/correcting-creationists-redux-was-lucy%E2%80%99s-pelvis-reconstruction-a-fraud/

Here an atheist activist ranting about creationists, seems to have no problem assuming there was nothing wrong with the reconstruction, using nothing that I can see in the article except the transcript of the PBS video.

In fact, he flat out says:

"Lovejoy simply cut the broken parts out and re-fit them into the position they occupied at the time Lucy was alive."

He gave a source in a professional journal which may or may not explain just how the reconstruction was determined to be accurate.
    He probably didn't have the understanding of anatomy to be able to clarify this one way or another.
    He didn't even have the decency to sign his name, but kept going by the username "cjobrien".

Erik and John would accuse him of being "unclear," were not cjobrien "One of Us" from their POV.

Yet Lovejoy's "impossible position" doesn't fit with Johanson's "illusion":

There's no inconsistency here. The illusion is enough to fool someone who never looked
    at the anatomy of pelvises.

" OWEN LOVEJOY: This has caused the two bones in fact to fit together so well that they’re in an anatomically impossible position.

DON JOHANSON: The perfect fit was an allusion that made Lucy’s hip bones seems to flair out like a chimps."

Both these men are anthropologists. How is this " fused together in later fossilization" a "perfect fit"?

Because they were forced together to the point where it took a trained eye to realize that something was amiss.

Is it perhaps an indication of bias, assumption and inference that this was an "illusion", or is there hard science behind it that no one wants to identify?

The hard science is in the way a professional anatomist could see that the pelvis seemed to be
    of a shape that no known vertebrate ever came close to having.

And how is it that "some of her bones lying in the mud MUST have been crushed or broken"? (Caps mine) Is that science?

No, it's an attempted explanation of how the anatomically incorrect shape was achieved.
    There had to be first a break and then a re-fusing to the shape in which the fossil was found. Mere bending
    or twisting would not have had that effect.

My opinion is that the reconstructor[s] did the best they could to be accurate.
    There is no reason to suspect Piltdown-style fraud.

Apparently you dislike my "avoidance" because you regard it as evasiveness. Most everyone else appears to dislike my "avoiding" such questioning because it is often said that I never give my opinion on anything. Do you agree with that?

No, you give your opinion often enough. What bothered me was that you
    seemed to be sitting on a bombshell yet not giving any hint of what
    it was all about.

Have you considered what "a point" really means? And why these evolutionists often demand one?

It's a scam I've been subjected to by them, because unlike in this case of yours, I explain things as I go along.
    They want to think that I have a hidden agenda behind it all, and they ask for a point when the
    point is staring them in the face: I am a conveyer of interesting and sometimes paradoxical looking
    facts and reasonings, all related to evolution and/or paleontology. Quality control, in many cases.

Like I suggested just now, they act as though they haven't gotten it.

Erik in particular was so blatant with this scam in talk.origins, that I finally caught on to what he was doing
    after about a year of it, and accused him of scamming.

Then all hell broke loose. Robert Camp made a complete fool of himself by
    the way he "defended" Erik in a traditional t.o. meaning of the word; two implacable foes of yourself
    tried to do a more careful "defense" of Erik, but made lesser fools of themselves;
    the more implacable of the two even ventured to "defend" Robert Camp.

As for Erik, he never showed any awareness of any of this, but simply left the thread for good.

Peter Nyikos
    Professor, Dept. of Mathematics
    Univ. of South Carolina -- standard disclaimer-- http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to John Harshman on Tue Jul 12 21:43:07 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 6:15:41 PM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:
    On 7/12/22 3:32 PM, erik simpson wrote:
    By coincidence, I am currently reading "The Rise and Reign of the Mammals" byStever Brusatte. It's a modern look at current paleotological ideas, lots of history, and not too technical for a persistent layman. I'll give a short summary tomorrow
    about his discussion of the end-Triassic exctinction event and its follow-ons.

There's some confusion here. First, mammals are mammaliaforms are
    cynodonts are therapsids. Groups within groups.

Definitely an error. I should have been talking of branching, not nesting.

Second, dinosaurs appear in the early Triassic, but only become dominant toward the end of the Triassic.

Third, Fairly large therapsids persisted until late in the Triassic, dicynodonts for example.

Well, i asked for it. Thanks, and apologies for hurrying a sloppy reply.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sight Reader@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Wed Jul 13 07:29:45 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 10:43:09 PM UTC-6, erik simpson wrote:
    Well, i asked for it. Thanks, and apologies for hurrying a sloppy reply.

Well, thanks nonetheless for getting stuff on a good book out fast!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to peter2...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 13 13:34:27 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 6:46:03 PM UTC-7, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 12:58:16 AM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote: >>> On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 5:59:33 PM UTC-7, Glenn wrote:
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:34:00 AM UTC-7, erik simpson wrote: >>>>> Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low
    latitude evironments had been very warm and wet, and the predominant animals were crocodile-related (and other large reptilian forms). Then came volcanic winters and the cold weather adaptations of hte dinosaurs gave them an edge in the early Jurassic.

despite the lack of fossils until the beginning of the Triassic. >>> Your mind is wasting time. If you're interested, you could look at the article.

Let me heat things up.

How is this relevant to the subject of cold-adapted dinosaurs or the early Jurassic or turtles?

Not sure what you mean by that, but Lucy's reconstruction should not be off-topic to the subject of the group, paleontology.
    It certainly is on-topic for s.b.p. and also, especially, for sci.anthropolgy.paleo. But if you want to
    post about it there, I strongly recommend that you include the url to the webpage that you

Harshman was being rather disingenuous. He was implicitly objecting to your introducing a whole new topic, apparently unconnected to anything that went before,
    without spelling that out. Be glad he didn't ride herd on you, like he often does to me,
    As far as "subjects" are concerned, they are still part of the overall subject of paleontology. As you say, but not in any stretch of the imagination restricted to John or a selected group of people, does John stay "on-topic" of a specific "subject"
    thread, if ever. John himself strayed way off topic in that "thread" when he posted his advice that I am best ignored.
    John is addicted to double standards. I'm sure you found that out long ago, perhaps even longer ago than I did.
    turtles.
    I have no way of reading Glenn's mind, but the video suggests a forgery of the same degree of seriousness as the Piltdown forgery.
    John can't bring himself to watch a 3:28 video even after I dropped it.
    Erik hasn't shown any sign of having seen this reply of mine or John's reply to it.

Here an atheist activist ranting about creationists, seems to have no problem assuming there was nothing wrong with the reconstruction, using nothing that I can see in the article except the transcript of the PBS video.

"Lovejoy simply cut the broken parts out and re-fit them into the position they occupied at the time Lucy was alive."

He gave a source in a professional journal which may or may not explain just how the reconstruction was determined to be accurate.
    He probably didn't have the understanding of anatomy to be able to clarify this one way or another.
    He didn't even have the decency to sign his name, but kept going by the username "cjobrien".

Erik and John would accuse him of being "unclear," were not cjobrien "One of Us" from their POV.
    There's no inconsistency here. The illusion is enough to fool someone who never looked

Both these men are anthropologists. How is this " fused together in later fossilization" a "perfect fit"?
    Because they were forced together to the point where it took a trained eye to realize that something was amiss.
    Is it perhaps an indication of bias, assumption and inference that this was an "illusion", or is there hard science behind it that no one wants to identify?
    The hard science is in the way a professional anatomist could see that the pelvis seemed to be

No, it's an attempted explanation of how the anatomically incorrect shape was achieved.
    There had to be first a break and then a re-fusing to the shape in which the fossil was found. Mere bending
    All this in contradiction to "DON JOHANSON: The perfect fit was an allusion that made Lucy’s hip bones seems to flair out like a chimps."

Apparently you dislike my "avoidance" because you regard it as evasiveness.
    Most everyone else appears to dislike my "avoiding" such questioning because it is often said that I never give my opinion on anything. Do you agree with that?
    No, you give your opinion often enough. What bothered me was that you
    seemed to be sitting on a bombshell yet not giving any hint of what
    it was all about.

I wasn't sitting on anything.
    Have you considered what "a point" really means? And why these evolutionists often demand one?
    It's a scam I've been subjected to by them, because unlike in this case of yours, I explain things as I go along.
    They want to think that I have a hidden agenda behind it all, and they ask for a point when the
    point is staring them in the face: I am a conveyer of interesting and sometimes paradoxical looking
    facts and reasonings, all related to evolution and/or paleontology. Quality control, in many cases.

Erik in particular was so blatant with this scam in talk.origins, that I finally caught on to what he was doing

Then all hell broke loose. Robert Camp made a complete fool of himself by the way he "defended" Erik in a traditional t.o. meaning of the word; two implacable foes of yourself
    tried to do a more careful "defense" of Erik, but made lesser fools of themselves;

As for Erik, he never showed any awareness of any of this, but simply left the thread for good.

Erik is an odd bird that often contradicts himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn@21:1/5 to Glenn on Wed Aug 10 12:48:11 2022
    On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-7, Glenn wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 6:46:03 PM UTC-7, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 12:58:16 AM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote: >>> On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 5:59:33 PM UTC-7, Glenn wrote:
    Evidence for glacier-rafted debris coeval with dinosaur tracks at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction indicates that non-avian dinosaurs were ready for the extensive volcanic eruptions that marked the end of the Triassic. At the time, low

So these tracks survived exposed till the glaciers pushed over them, depositing little stones in the footprints. Pics? And they "were ready"? As if the dinos that made the tracks were being chased by an approaching glacier...for some
    reason "Yankee Doodle Dandy" is flashing through my mind.

despite the lack of fossils until the beginning of the Triassic. >>> Your mind is wasting time. If you're interested, you could look at the article.

Let me heat things up.

Harshman was being rather disingenuous. He was implicitly objecting to your
    introducing a whole new topic, apparently unconnected to anything that went before,
    turtles.
    John can't bring himself to watch a 3:28 video even after I dropped it. Erik hasn't shown any sign of having seen this reply of mine or John's reply to it.

I don't see where they were "forced together". Produce your evidence. Invoking "trained eye" doesn't quite cut it, as I hope you would agree. What about the baboon vertebrae with respect to trained eyes? That a 'trained eye" eventually caught the
    misclassification, doesn't afford an argument as you just made about trained eyes.

How do you get such breakage in mud? Seriously, I'd like to know. The implication of being found in mud is in my opinion clearly an attempt to infer that the broken bones were initially in incorrect positions before deposition. It is speculation not
    based on evidence.

All this in contradiction to "DON JOHANSON: The perfect fit was an allusion that made Lucy’s hip bones seems to flair out like a chimps."

You haven't responded to this. But does Johanson's characterization of the positions of the broken and crushed bones as a "perfect fit" and "an allusion" support your claim that experts with "trained eyes" knew otherwise?
    Reposting, "OWEN LOVEJOY: This has caused the two bones in fact to fit together so well that they’re in an anatomically impossible position. "

How can any process cause bones to fit together "so well", yet be in an anatomically impossible position? Remember, those bones - that caused the two bones to appear to be in a position more similar to apes, were not "fit together" at all, but multiple
    bits and pieces, "reconstructed". The "impossible position" Lovejoy refers to is the shape of the pelvic bones, more specifically the iliac blades, that would make lucy look and walk like an ape, not to the crushed bits and pieces.

Simple facts. The natural reconstruction, like a jig saw puzzle, was a "perfect fit" with which to fit the hip bones in a position more similar to knuckle walking apes than with walking pre-humans.

Ask yourself how bones can fit together so well that they are in an impossible position - by their own admission, 'impossible" being that the hip bones would have been in the wrong position.
    It seems reasonable to keep in mind that these two fossil hunters are all in on the belief that apes evolved into humans. I don't dispute that, but belief and evidence must be kept separate in science.

Apparently you dislike my "avoidance" because you regard it as evasiveness.
    Most everyone else appears to dislike my "avoiding" such questioning because it is often said that I never give my opinion on anything. Do you agree with that?
    No, you give your opinion often enough. What bothered me was that you seemed to be sitting on a bombshell yet not giving any hint of what
    it was all about.
    I wasn't sitting on anything.

Then all hell broke loose. Robert Camp made a complete fool of himself by the way he "defended" Erik in a traditional t.o. meaning of the word; two implacable foes of yourself

Erik is an odd bird that often contradicts himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05