• Question about propulsion

From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 24 06:18:40 2022
    Question about propulsion

Was wondering yesterday, solar sails, light pushing a spacecraft.
    Then started thinking:
    old car headlight with reflector . light beam, should have a reaction force too?
    light exhaust speed is C
    Should also work for heat, as heat is also IR radiation
    So nuclear core heated close to critical with reflector screen should work too! Space is very cold, cools reflector, like Webb telescope screen.

So the math?
    Interstellar space travel close to C made easy?

Then I vaguely remembered Pioneer needed a correction because of the radiation from the RTGs..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly

So what are we waiting for to go to the stars?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lou@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Fri Sep 2 21:54:26 2022
    On Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 07:21:45 UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Then started thinking:
    old car headlight with reflector . light beam, should have a reaction force too?
    light exhaust speed is C
    So nuclear core heated close to critical with reflector screen should work too!
    Space is very cold, cools reflector, like Webb telescope screen.

So the math?

Then I vaguely remembered Pioneer needed a correction because of the radiation from the RTGs..

Sounds reasonable. Although after spending all that time slowly accelerating you would have to turn the light source around at half way point just as you were getting up speed. And start decelerating again. Might take ages to get there.
    Plus all the interstellar dust gas etc would so badly damage the craft and occupants all that would arrive at the destination would be a badly damaged spaceship and some rather dead passengers.
    I like the Oumuamua method. Find a handy local nickel iron asteroid. Terraform it
    to a long tubular shape 1/2 mile long maybe. Hollow out the inside for small city sized accomadation that would be safe from meteorites and radiation.
    Put a nuclear reactor powered dynamo at the mid point and use that to
    supply the thrust to spin the cigar shaped craft on a mid point axis to
    supply artificial gravity on either side of the mid point of the spaceship.
    And set it off spinning towards the nearest star with some sort of initial propulsion blast. Once it’s at a hi speed it could slingshot from star to star
    just like an interstellar Oumuamua spaceship.
    Have a whole network of these hi speed craft going around the galaxy like
    a hi speed train network. Drop off and drop on would have to be done
    locally on each star by space shuttle like crafts which would blast
    off from any habitable local planets to catch up to these passing hi speed interstellar crafts.
    Might get from our sun to the nearest star in maybe only a couple of hundred thousand
    years! Who knows that might be enough time for the passengers to evolve into
    a new species!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to noelturntive@live.co.uk on Sat Sep 3 17:25:15 2022
    On a sunny day (Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:54:26 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lou <noelturntive@live.co.uk> wrote in <d81544bb-e2ca-4b6a-be0c-69cbc360b647n@googlegroups.com>:

On Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 07:21:45 UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Then started thinking:
    old car headlight with reflector . light beam, should have a reaction force >too?
    light exhaust speed is C
    So nuclear core heated close to critical with reflector screen should work >too!
    Space is very cold, cools reflector, like Webb telescope screen.

So the math?

Then I vaguely remembered Pioneer needed a correction because of the radiation
    from the RTGs..

Sounds reasonable. Although after spending all that time slowly accelerating >you
    would have to turn the light source around at half way point just as you
    were
    getting up speed. And start decelerating again. Might take ages to get
    there.
    Plus all the interstellar dust gas etc would so badly damage the craft and >occupants
    all that would arrive at the destination would be a badly damaged
    spaceship
    and some rather dead passengers.
    I like the Oumuamua method. Find a handy local nickel iron asteroid. Terraform >it
    to a long tubular shape 1/2 mile long maybe. Hollow out the inside for small >city
    sized accomadation that would be safe from meteorites and radiation.
    Put a nuclear reactor powered dynamo at the mid point and use that to
    supply the thrust to spin the cigar shaped craft on a mid point axis to >supply artificial gravity on either side of the mid point of the spaceship. >And set it off spinning towards the nearest star with some sort of initial >propulsion
    blast. Once it=E2=80=99s at a hi speed it could slingshot from star
    to star
    just like an interstellar Oumuamua spaceship.
    Have a whole network of these hi speed craft going around the galaxy like
    a
    hi speed train network. Drop off and drop on would have to be done
    locally on each star by space shuttle like crafts which would blast
    off from any habitable local planets to catch up to these passing hi speed >interstellar
    crafts.
    Might get from our sun to the nearest star in maybe only a couple of hundred >thousand
    years! Who knows that might be enough time for the passengers to evolve into >a
    new species!!

Neat, maybe they are already among us ...

I have some power laser, still considering
    hanging it from some wires and pulsing the light to see if I can get it to swing.
    Will let you know if it works.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com on Tue Sep 6 08:29:07 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Sep 2022 17:25:15 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in <tf02u9$2ue70$1@dont-email.me>:

hanging it from some wires and pulsing the light to see if I can get it to swing.

So, did a first simple test
    http://panteltje.com/pub/laser_propulsion_test_1_IXIMG_0856.JPG
    this laser is 1 W input, will burn (and did in the cardboard box) a hole in a piece of cardboard.
    It looks like when I wait until it is 100 % steady hanging and then pulse the current
    it does get a push, but could just as well be effect the earth magnetic field on the wires.
    Thing is heavy, better get a free hanging diode only, and some more power. Batteries empty from testing now... recharging.
    Nice laser, from ebay, had it for years
    Always wear protective glasses,
    Never look into laser with remaining eye.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to noelturntive@live.co.uk on Sat Sep 10 08:51:51 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Sep 2022 01:32:10 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lou <noelturntive@live.co.uk> wrote in <385d1e28-7a8c-443d-8031-57af3a7f1891n@googlegroups.com>:

On Tuesday, 6 September 2022 at 09:34:04 UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Sep 2022 17:25:15 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
    <pN> wrote in <tf02me>:
    this laser is 1 W input, will burn (and did in the cardboard box) a hole in a piece of cardboard.
    It looks like when I wait until it is 100 % steady hanging and then pulse the current
    it does get a push, but could just as well be effect the earth magnetic field on the wires.
    How about attaching the laser to something to keep it from moving,
    point it downwards and , if you have one, project the beam onto one
    of those digital electronic precision laboratory weigh scales?

Very good, I considered that.
    In high school physics we had a tube with a rotating vane in it that you could get to rotate by shining a light on it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer
    read the text, its easy to mistake heat radiation in such a case for light pressure.

So I wanted to really measure any 'reaction force'.

Will be playing with it some more, maybe get a more powerful laser diode from ebay, but shipping takes a long time these days
    If so, will post about it here.

Thank you for the feedback!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Sat Sep 10 01:32:10 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Sep 2022 17:25:15 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
    <pN> wrote in <tf02me>:
    So, did a first simple test http://panteltje.com/pub/laser_propulsion_test_1_IXIMG_0856.JPG
    Thing is heavy, better get a free hanging diode only, and some more power. Batteries empty from testing now... recharging.
    Nice laser, from ebay, had it for years
    Always wear protective glasses,
    Never look into laser with remaining eye.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Sat Sep 10 05:45:05 2022
    On Saturday, 10 September 2022 at 09:57:24 UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Sep 2022 01:32:10 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lou
    <uk> wrote in
    ...@googlegroups.com>:
    On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Sep 2022 17:25:15 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje >> <pN> wrote in <tf02me>:
    Very good, I considered that.
    In high school physics we had a tube with a rotating vane in it that you could get to rotate by shining a light on it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer
    read the text, its easy to mistake heat radiation in such a case for light pressure.

Yes interesting subject. I notice in the link that local thermal air currents can distort
    the readings. Hopefully these currents wouldn’t move your laser and contaminate
    your measurements.

I did notice though that they did have a problem with explaining it for a while,
    with even the drivelling relativists god Maxwell giving the wrong explanation! !
    (Ha! I never agreed with Maxwells ‘electro’ component in his model of emr anyways.
    For me light, and electricity, is just an oscillating or changing magnetic field.
    The electric electron bit is fantasy. Proof is you can just rotate a magnet and generate
    both electricity...and emr waves.)

However to get back to my point the reference says if it were light pressure rather than heat radiation the vanes move in the opposite direction. That is in Crookes radiometer the vanes rotate towards the light source whereas
    light pressure predicts they should rotate away from the source.
    So if you do have electronic precision scales and tried measuring the force then I assume you could distinguish which effect is at play.
    That is: If it’s light pressure the scale would record extra weight.
    Or: If it’s heat radiation...the scale should measure a weight loss, assuming the same effects from Crookes radiometer are at play.

So I wanted to really measure any 'reaction force'.

Will be playing with it some more, maybe get a more powerful laser diode from ebay, but shipping takes a long time these days
    If so, will post about it here.

Thank you for the feedback!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to noelturntive@live.co.uk on Sat Sep 10 13:56:15 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Sep 2022 05:45:05 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lou <noelturntive@live.co.uk> wrote in <e345120c-3bf0-4619-bf0d-e98644dd1d46n@googlegroups.com>:

(Ha! I never agreed with Maxwells component in his
    model of emr anyways.
    For me light, and electricity, is just an oscillating or changing magnetic field.
    The
    electric electron bit is fantasy. Proof is you can just rotate a magnet
    and generate
    both electricity...and emr waves.)

If Le Sage particles exist we could combine gravity with EM radiation IF magnetism is just a property of those particles:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Sage%27s_theory_of_gravitation

IIRC Einstein came from a family that ran an electric engineering company.
    That company failed in 1896, then they moved to Milan and did a bit better.
    As P = i^2.R and e = m.c^2 there is a deep link in Einstein's neural net (brain structure)
    something about the way of thinking...
    Electronics cannot be understood without electrons (I am in electronics),
    for example the vacuum tube should not be able to carry current as i = U / R for R is infinite. But the electrons form the current like water molecules in a stream or pipe.
    General relativity WITHOUT a mechanism, without a particle, is useless mathematical crap
    leads to divide by zero and singularities...
    In a Le Sage theory at least we have particles, so analog to the electrons.
    As to photon, that is where our detection problem is
    we measure with matter as we know it, Planck's constant,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck
    I have some nice PMTs and done a lot of testing,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier_tube
    and see it this way:
    Our detector is a ball on a wire in a pool (analog to the electron connected to some atomic nucleus)
    At SOME level of that wave in the pool the wire breaks and the ball is released and we can detect that
    like we see an electron is released in the PMT if enough wave energy hits it. But that energy, those EM waves DO NOT HAVE TO BE QUANTISIZED at the level of the ball-nucleus strength
    So even Planck warned to not look at things that way.
    From that and parotting Einstein's FIELD theory that denies a particle like a Le Sage one and gives NO
    mechanical (if you will) explanation, we are now stuck in physics and cosmology by Einstein parroting
    clowns who do a divide by zero, stating singularities exist..
    IN NATURE ALWAYS SOMETHING BREAKS DOWN, no singularities CAN exist.

However to get back to my point the reference says if it were light pressure >rather
    than heat radiation the vanes move in the opposite direction. That is
    in
    Crookes radiometer the vanes rotate towards the light source whereas
    light pressure predicts they should rotate away from the source.
    So if you do have electronic precision scales and tried measuring the force >then I assume you could distinguish which effect is at play.
    That is: If it's light pressure the scale would record extra weight.
    Or:
    If it's heat radiation...the scale should measure a weight loss,
    assuming
    the same effects from Crookes radiometer are at play.

I was thinking if I hit those scales with the laser and heated material evaporates, than that
    causes the scales to display a bigger value, making it more difficult to see the difference

]/ ejected smoke ->
    ]================= laser beam
    ]\ ejected smoke->
    This pushes the scales to the left, as does the laser beam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 17 13:26:54 2022
    PS
    I found this site
    http://umdberg.pbworks.com/w/page/50455623/Momentum%20of%20a%20laser%20beam

and it gives 3.4 pico Newtons for a 1 mW laser pointer
    My 1W laser will thus generate 1000 times as much, or 3.4 micro Newtons.

Bit afraid of using higher power lasers...
    But let's say a focused 1000 W light bulb would generate 3.4 milli Newtons...
    ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou@21:1/5 to Jan Panteltje on Sat Sep 17 09:45:12 2022
    On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 14:33:34 UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    PS

Imagine then your pool/electron analogy. The pool is the vacuum, the waves in the
    water the light waves. The atoms are a row of buckets at the edge of the pool that only fill
    if the water level rises above the level of the pool surface. Which they do when each wave
    hits the row of buckets. The buckets auto empty into an external pipe when each bucket is
    full.
    You thus have a mechanical system, replicating right down to the atomic
    level what happens when wave light hits the detector and transmits energy to the circuit.
    I found this site http://umdberg.pbworks.com/w/page/50455623/Momentum%20of%20a%20laser%20beam

?
    This sounds reasonable. But why are you doing this? Isn’t it already
    an accepted fact that a laser can supply the push for a spacecraft
    in lieu of the solar sail?
    Here’s a quote from the wiki Solar Sail page:
    “A useful analogy to solar sailing may be a sailing boat; the light exerting a force on the mirrors is akin to a sail being blown by the wind. High-energy laser beams could be used as an alternative light source to exert much greater force than would
    be possible using sunlight, a concept known as beam sailing.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to noelturntive@live.co.uk on Sat Sep 17 17:59:28 2022
    On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:45:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lou <noelturntive@live.co.uk> wrote in <5797a3e0-d5e7-46f6-9243-028ad2d6ee5bn@googlegroups.com>:

On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 14:33:34 UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:
    PS

Imagine then your pool/electron analogy. The pool is the vacuum, the waves in >the
    water the light waves. The atoms are a row of buckets at the edge of the pool >that only fill
    if the water level rises above the level of the pool surface. Which they do >when each wave
    hits the row of buckets. The buckets auto empty into an external pipe when each
    bucket is
    full.
    You thus have a mechanical system, replicating right down to the atomic
    level what happens when wave light hits the detector and transmits energy to >the
    circuit.
    I found this site
    http://umdberg.pbworks.com/w/page/50455623/Momentum%20of%20a%20laser%20beam >>

?
    This sounds reasonable. But why are you doing this? Isn=E2=80=99t it already >an
    accepted fact that a laser can supply the push for a spacecraft
    in lieu of the solar sail?
    Here=E2=80=99s a quote from the wiki Solar Sail page:
    =E2=80=9CA useful analogy to solar sailing may be a sailing boat; the light >exerting a force on the mirrors is akin to a sail being blown by the wind. >High-energy laser beams could be used as an alternative light source to exert >much greater force than would be possible using sunlight, a concept known
    as beam sailing.=E2=80=9D

Sure, but nothing like experimenting and hands on discovering things,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05