• View of Copernicus on his influences

From kelleher.gerald@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 7 23:49:44 2021
    Copernicus did not fear Church censure, he feared that those who were not capable of handling the arguments would bog down the insights he promoted so whatever rubbish contemporaries are prepared to accept, he was explicit in this-

" But while I hesitated for a long time and even resisted, my friends drew me back. Foremost among them was the cardinal of Capua, Nicholas Schönberg, renowned in every field of learning. Next to him was a man who loves me dearly, Tiedemann Giese,
    bishop of Chelmno, a close student of sacred letters as well as of all good literature. For he repeatedly encouraged me and, sometimes adding reproaches, urgently requested me to publish this volume and finally permit it to appear after being buried
    among my papers and lying concealed not merely until the ninth year but by now the fourth period of nine years. The same conduct was recommended to me by not a few other very eminent scholars. They exhorted me no longer to refuse, on account of the fear
    which I felt, to make my work available for the general use of students of astronomy. The crazier my doctrine of the earth’s motion now appeared to most people, the argument ran, so much the more admiration and thanks would it gain after they saw the
    publication of my writings dispel the fog of absurdity by most luminous proofs. Influenced therefore by these persuasive men and by this hope, in the end I allowed my friends to bring out an edition of the volume, as they had long besought me to do"
    Copernicus in a letter to Pope Paul III

All these issues surface again, although in a different form, yet, the emergence of the internet and newsgroups allows a solar system researcher to bypass noisy cheerleaders and petty academics to promote astronomy and terrestrial topics without the
    encumbrances of an academic subculture at variance with astronomical methods and insights.

It becomes a matter of catching up and that is why Galileo, for all his faults, reminded people that-

“You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself.” ― Galileo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)