• Will there be any comets visible in 2021?

From StarDust@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 2 16:58:31 2021
    Comet Leonard will pass closest to Earth on December 12, 2021 when it gets just a fifth of the distance from the Earth to the Sun to create a well-timed “Christmas Comet.” It won't pose any danger, and it may become visible to the naked eye around
    that time.

I'll get my telescope cleaned by then!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From palsing@21:1/5 to StarDust on Tue Nov 2 20:26:51 2021
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 4:58:37 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
    Comet Leonard will pass closest to Earth on December 12, 2021 when it gets just a fifth of the distance from the Earth to the Sun to create a well-timed “Christmas Comet.” It won't pose any danger, and it may become visible to the naked eye around
    that time.

There are currently lots of comets visible in 2021, depending on the size of your telescope and your location on the Earth's surface...

https://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

... and I printed the charts for (5) of them for this week's observing run, starting tomorrow night!

A dirty telescope will work just fine unless it is stupid dirty... a little dust won't make much of a difference... I wash my mirror once a year whether it needs it or not!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From StarDust@21:1/5 to palsing on Tue Nov 2 23:40:32 2021
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 8:26:54 PM UTC-7, palsing wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 4:58:37 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
    Comet Leonard will pass closest to Earth on December 12, 2021 when it gets just a fifth of the distance from the Earth to the Sun to create a well-timed “Christmas Comet.” It won't pose any danger, and it may become visible to the naked eye
    around that time.

There are currently lots of comets visible in 2021, depending on the size of your telescope and your location on the Earth's surface...

https://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

... and I printed the charts for (5) of them for this week's observing run, starting tomorrow night!

A dirty telescope will work just fine unless it is stupid dirty... a little dust won't make much of a difference... I wash my mirror once a year whether it needs it or not!

Thx!
    Lot of good info!
    🧐

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05