• First JWT image

From StarDust@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 11 16:04:47 2022
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62122859

Deepest ever!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From StarDust@21:1/5 to RichA on Mon Jul 11 19:59:02 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 7:29:33 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
    On Monday, 11 July 2022 at 19:04:49 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:

Deepest ever!

Stupid CNN reporter thinks the curves are "motion." Do they even READ
    the NASA info???

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/11/world/james-webb-space-telescope-first-image-scn/index.html

That's why I read the BBC.
    No adds either!

The cluster itself isn't actually that far away - "only" about 4.6 billion light-years in the distance. But the great mass of this cluster has bent and magnified the light of objects that are much, much further away.
    It's a gravitational effect; the astronomical equivalent of a zoom lens for a telescope.<<

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RichA@21:1/5 to StarDust on Mon Jul 11 19:29:32 2022
    On Monday, 11 July 2022 at 19:04:49 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:

Deepest ever!

the NASA info???

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/11/world/james-webb-space-telescope-first-image-scn/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to RichA on Mon Jul 11 20:36:13 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 8:29:33 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

the NASA info???

I see the article has been corrected. The galaxies affected by the lensing,
    in at least one part of the image, do seem to be elongated around a common center, so it does kind of resemble how stars can be streaked by the Earth's rotation.
    But the JWST is not _on_ Earth.
    What puzzles me is the diffraction spikes.
    That they make six-pointed stars makes sense, what with all the hexagonal mirrors. But there are also two smaller spikes, at a right angle to one of the larger pairs. No doubt there's something in the telescope's construction responsible for this, like the arms holding the secondary, but it's something I wasn't expecting.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From StarDust@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Mon Jul 11 22:41:54 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 8:36:15 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 8:29:33 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

the NASA info???
    I see the article has been corrected. The galaxies affected by the lensing, in at least one part of the image, do seem to be elongated around a common center, so it does kind of resemble how stars can be streaked by the Earth's rotation.
    But the JWST is not _on_ Earth.
    That they make six-pointed stars makes sense, what with all the hexagonal mirrors. But there are also two smaller spikes, at a right angle to one of the
    larger pairs. No doubt there's something in the telescope's construction responsible for this, like the arms holding the secondary, but it's something I
    wasn't expecting.

John Savard

Here we go smarty, go up there an fix it!
    🤗

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From W@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Tue Jul 12 06:18:12 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 11:36:15 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

That they make six-pointed stars makes sense, what with all the hexagonal mirrors. But there are also two smaller spikes, at a right angle to one of the
    larger pairs. No doubt there's something in the telescope's construction responsible for this, like the arms holding the secondary, but it's something I
    wasn't expecting.

One of the arms of the "spider" does not line up with any of the edges of the mirror segments, so you get those spikes seen horizontally in the picture.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Tue Jul 12 11:07:04 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 11:54:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

With a shape like that, had I been thinking about what the diffraction pattern of the
    telescope would look like, I would have been expecting _twelve_ diffraction spikes
    in two groups of six rather than just six plus two. Perhaps a closer look will turn up
    more tiny little diffraction spikes.

I've just looked at the full-resolution version of that image, with additional zoom,
    on my computer. Yes, there are more diffraction spikes. Less bright stars show a six-plus-six spike pattern; the bright ones, where two horizontal spikes are prominent,
    also show not only those four additional spikes, but some at in-between positions that
    do not appear to be at angles that are exactly halfway. And then still other spikes,
    making a total of 48 spikes for the brightest stars in the image!

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 12 10:54:56 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 7:18:14 AM UTC-6, W wrote:

wasn't expecting.

One of the arms of the "spider" does not line up with any of the edges of the mirror
    segments, so you get those spikes seen horizontally in the picture.

Yes, since that post, I've taken a look at an image of the JWST to refresh my memory about its
    situation.

Holding the secondary in a precise position relative to the mirror with lightweight arms that
    unfold in space was very difficult.

If one thinks of the overall shape of the mirror as that of a hexagon with points at the top
    and bottom, the segments are hexagons with points at the left and right.

One arm, the one that extended, is at the top of the mirror, in the middle of the flat side
    of a segment.

The two other arms, that only swing out, are on the points of segments. If the "top" of the
    mirror is 0 degrees, the two other arms are at 150 degrees and 210 degrees.

With a shape like that, had I been thinking about what the diffraction pattern of the
    telescope would look like, I would have been expecting _twelve_ diffraction spikes
    in two groups of six rather than just six plus two. Perhaps a closer look will turn up

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From StarDust@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Tue Jul 12 15:21:53 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 11:07:06 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:

I've just looked at the full-resolution version of that image, with additional zoom,
    on my computer. Yes, there are more diffraction spikes. Less bright stars show
    a six-plus-six spike pattern; the bright ones, where two horizontal spikes are prominent,
    also show not only those four additional spikes, but some at in-between positions that
    do not appear to be at angles that are exactly halfway. And then still other spikes,

John Savard

I like it!
    The more spikes the better!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From W@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 12 15:30:45 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 9:18:14 AM UTC-4, W wrote:

wasn't expecting.

One of the arms of the "spider" does not line up with any of the edges of the mirror segments, so you get those spikes seen horizontally in the picture.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jameswebb/comments/th5jl6/explaining_the_difraction_spikes_in_jwst_images/

The Spider is added in with the right-most image and the horizontal spike appears to extend.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris L Peterson@21:1/5 to jsavard@ecn.ab.ca on Tue Jul 12 23:12:41 2022
    On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 11:07:04 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
    <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

on my computer. Yes, there are more diffraction spikes. Less bright stars show >a six-plus-six spike pattern; the bright ones, where two horizontal spikes are prominent,

You might be interested in the technical analysis of the JWST PSF: https://www.stsci.edu/files/live/sites/www/files/home/jwst/documentation/technical-documents/_documents/JWST-STScI-001157.pdf

The pattern changes considerably with the filter that is used, as it
    is wavelength dependent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Chris L Peterson on Wed Jul 13 18:53:53 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 11:12:45 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

is wavelength dependent.

I did pick that document up from a link in the article W linked to.

And I noticed that the diffraction spikes varied in color in the images,
    but I didn't read the paper closely enough to find out why the diffraction pattern would be wavelength-dependent.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From W@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Wed Jul 13 19:42:32 2022
    On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 9:53:55 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 11:12:45 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

is wavelength dependent.
    I did pick that document up from a link in the article W linked to.

And I noticed that the diffraction spikes varied in color in the images,
    but I didn't read the paper closely enough to find out why the diffraction pattern would be wavelength-dependent.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=diffraction+formula

The two sources of diffraction are at different distances from the focal surface.

This is also a false-color image, so maybe things are not quite as one would expect?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05