• The Waterside Ape: An Alternative Account of Human Evolution 2019 P

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 13 16:42:43 2019
    I forgot the contents:

I forgot the contents.

The Waterside Ape:
    An Alternative Account of Human Evolution
    Peter H Rhys Evans
    218 pp pb £ 22 published 20.3.19 <https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-waterside-ape/peter-h-rhys-evans/9780 367145484#>
    other formats & editions <https://www.waterstones.com/books/search/term/the+waterside+ape+peter+h+rh ys+evans>

This book presents the latest evidence on the controversial "Waterside Ape" theory of human evolution, what used to be known as the "Aquatic Ape" theory.
    The traditional "Savannah Ape" theory (that early hominid apes evolved on the grass plains of E.Africa 6-7 Ma from our quadruped ape ancestors by coming down from the trees
    on to the savannah and stood upright in order to see further) has been accepted by archaeologists & anthropologists since before the time of Darwin, based on geological & fossil evidence.
    Recent scientific evidence largely discredites this hypothesis, but mainstream teaching and public understanding is still based on traditional lines.

Key selling features:
    -presents the latest evidence for a close association between riparian habitats & the origin of humans,
    -reviews the "savannah ape" hypothesis for human origins,
    -describes various anatomical adaptations that are associated with hypotheses of human evolution,
    -explores characteristics from the head & neck, such as skull & sinus structures, the larynx & ear structures & functions,
    -corroborates a novel theory for the origin of humankind.

Publisher Taylor & Francis Ltd
    ISBN 9780367145484
    216 x 140 mm

Foreword Gareth Morgan
    Historical Timeline
    Introduction
    Chapter 1 Theories of Evolution
    Chapter 2 The Aquatic Debate
    Chapter 3 Our Genetic Heritage
    Chapter 4 Early Human Origins
    Chapter 5 The Neanderthals and their Demise
    Chapter 6 The Waterside Ape – Why are we so Different?
    Chapter 7 The Naked Ape
    Chapter 8 The Early Hominid Tailor
    Chapter 9 Evolutionary Adaptations in the Human Skull and Sinuses
    Chapter 10 Skull Buoyancy and the Diving Reflex
    Chapter 11 Surfer's Ear
    Chapter 12 The Human Brain and Evolution of Intelligence
    Chapter 13 Food for Thought and the Cognitive Revolution
    Chapter 14 The Human Larynx and Evolution of Voice
    Chapter 15 Obstetric and Perinatal Considerations
    Chapter 16 Marine Adaptations in the Human Kidney
    Chapter 17 Scars of Evolution
    Chapter 18 We are what we Eat
    Chapter 19 An Incredible Journey
    References
    Glossary

Peter Rhys Evans was a Senior Lecturer at the University of Birmingham & the Institute of Cancer Research.
    He was also the Chief of the Department of ENT/Head & Neck Surgery at the Royal Marsden Hospital.
    He has authored or co-authored over 200 scientific publications including 5 books.
    His award winning book Principles & Practice of Head & Neck Surgery & Oncology, 2nd edition, was published in 2009.
    He served as a Sub-Editor for the Journal of Laryngology & Otology for nearly a decade.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Laura@21:1/5 to littoral.homo@gmail.com on Tue Mar 26 17:41:58 2019
    On 2/13/19 5:42 PM, littoral.homo@gmail.com wrote:
    I forgot the contents:

I forgot the contents.

The Waterside Ape:
    Peter H Rhys Evans

I am astounded this is still being kicked around! I read the book "The
    Aquatic Ape" many years ago, and thought it's conclusions were utterly ridiculous then! I see the name Gareth Morgan attached to this that I
    can only assume is a relative of Ms Morgan (I've forgotten her first name...Elaine, maybe?) who wrote the AA book I mentioned above.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc verhaegen@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 20 06:35:02 2019
    Op woensdag 27 maart 2019 01:42:01 UTC+1 schreef Laura:

I'm astonished that there still are people who believe that the waterside theory is wrong, or that human ancestors ran over the open plains.
    Of course, the term "aquatic ape" might be a bit confusing for some narrow-minded people, but there's no doubt any more that early-Pleistocene Homo dispersed intercontinentally simply by following the African & Eurasian coasts, not by running over
    savannas, google e.g. "coastal dispersal of Pleistocene Homo 2018 Verhaegen".

The Waterside Ape:
    Peter H Rhys Evans ...

I am astounded this is still being kicked around! I read the book "The Aquatic Ape" many years ago, and thought it's conclusions were utterly ridiculous then! I see the name Gareth Morgan attached to this that I
    can only assume is a relative of Ms Morgan (I've forgotten her first name...Elaine, maybe?) who wrote the AA book I mentioned above.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc verhaegen@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 2 16:12:54 2019
    Op maandag 20 mei 2019 15:35:03 UTC+2 schreef marc verhaegen:

I'm astonished that there still are people who believe that the waterside theory is wrong, or that human ancestors ran over the open plains.
    Of course, the term "aquatic ape" might be a bit confusing for some narrow-minded people, but there's no doubt any more that early-Pleistocene Homo dispersed intercontinentally simply by following the African & Eurasian coasts, not by running over
    savannas, google e.g.
    "coastal dispersal of Pleistocene Homo 2018 Verhaegen".

For an update, google:
    "incredible logical mistakes PA 2019"

The Waterside Ape:
    Peter H Rhys Evans ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc verhaegen@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 2 12:29:21 2019
    Op zaterdag 3 augustus 2019 01:12:54 UTC+2 schreef marc verhaegen:

savannas, google e.g.
    "coastal dispersal of Pleistocene Homo 2018 Verhaegen".

The Waterside Ape:
    Peter H Rhys Evans ...

I'm now reading Peter's book.

Very interesting & intelligent, although Peter still follows the old anthropo-centric view that australopiths were human ancestors.
    It's obvious australopiths were fossil apes, more closely related to Pan or Gorilla than to Homo.

Lucy was a fossil ape, google
    "incredible logical mistakes PA 2019".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05