• Cobalt in the Congo

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 21 06:37:41 2021
    power struggle over cobalt is rattling the green energy revolution.

Cobalt is vital for electric vehicles and the push against climate change. Two-thirds of it comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the quest for the metal has demonstrated how the clean energy revolution is caught in a cycle of exploitation,
    an investigation by The Times found.

In particular, China and the U.S. are rivals in Congo ...
    -

They won't stop destroying the Congo until all the pygmies are gone and fauna are dead and the forest converted to oil palm plantations. Goodbye Eden, hello king Leopold prison.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 21 06:59:38 2021
    On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 9:37:42 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Cobalt is vital for electric vehicles and the push against climate change. Two-thirds of it comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the quest for the metal has demonstrated how the clean energy revolution is caught in a cycle of exploitation,

-

They won't stop destroying the Congo until all the pygmies are gone and fauna are dead and the forest converted to oil palm plantations. Goodbye Eden, hello king Leopold prison.

No surprise, President Biden's son is making green money from this rape of the Congo:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-firm-chinese-purchase-cobalt-mine.amp

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mario Petrinovic@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 21 18:24:18 2021
    On 21.11.2021. 15:37, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

-

You are living in the West, America, you don't understand a sh.t. I am
    living in some "third world" country, Croatia (ever heard of Balkan
    wars?). Never blame others (especially the West) for what is happening
    in your own country. It is your own country, for god's sake.
    Once French president brought some financial help to some African
    country (just like he is doing every year). And the president of this
    African country (I believe this country is bigger than France) said, we
    have so many resources, we should bring help to France, and not to
    receive help from France.
    Croats are as poor as they can be. If they are any poorer they wouldn't be able to survive. Just like Polish people, Hungarians or
    Romanians. It is their government that takes care that they are as poor
    as they can be. Because that way they can control them.
    And Croats want things to be just like that. Every Croat wants to be a
    member of the elite which controls other Croats, so they understand that
    this is how things have to be, and no other way. You offer Croats
    freedom, they will not take it, because they don't understand how free
    system works, they want things to be exactly like they are now. They are
    afraid of free systems, they cannot control it.
    And yes, those Congo leaders know how to control people, only, they
    don't know how to make economy to work. Yes, they are exploiting their
    own people, they are exploiting their own country, it is them (the Congo
    elite) that are exploiters, not the Biden's son, who lives in
    non-exploiting, free, country, and who doesn't understand at all this
    Congoian, or Croatian, sh.t. He just takes the opportunities, if
    opportunities are there, and absolutely nothing else. But, it is not him
    who created those opportunities, it is the Congo elite that made it.
    Supported by Congo people.

--
    https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
    human-evolution@googlegroups.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 21 16:53:56 2021
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Cobalt is vital for electric vehicles and the push against climate change.

Yeah, if we could only dig out enough cobalt the glacial/interglacial cycle will end because, it
    only started from the lack of digging it up...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/668269425555898368

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Mario Petrinovic on Mon Nov 22 06:02:44 2021
    On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 12:24:19 PM UTC-5, Mario Petrinovic wrote:

Cobalt is vital for electric vehicles and the push against climate change. Two-thirds of it comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the quest for the metal has demonstrated how the clean energy revolution is caught in a cycle of
    exploitation, an investigation by The Times found.

-

You are living in the West, America, you don't understand a sh.t. I am living in some "third world" country, Croatia (ever heard of Balkan
    country (just like he is doing every year). And the president of this African country (I believe this country is bigger than France) said, we
    Croats are as poor as they can be. If they are any poorer they
    wouldn't be able to survive. Just like Polish people, Hungarians or Romanians. It is their government that takes care that they are as poor
    And Croats want things to be just like that. Every Croat wants to be a member of the elite which controls other Croats, so they understand that this is how things have to be, and no other way. You offer Croats
    freedom, they will not take it, because they don't understand how free system works, they want things to be exactly like they are now. They are afraid of free systems, they cannot control it.
    own people, they are exploiting their own country, it is them (the Congo elite) that are exploiters, not the Biden's son, who lives in non-exploiting, free, country, and who doesn't understand at all this Congoian, or Croatian, sh.t. He just takes the opportunities, if opportunities are there, and absolutely nothing else. But, it is not him
    who created those opportunities, it is the Congo elite that made it. Supported by Congo people.

--
    human-e...@googlegroups.com
    -
    If god was smart he'd be mario.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 22 11:28:22 2021

And if Dog was smart he'd spell his name backwards and collect all those donations.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/668581717740847104

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mario Petrinovic@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Tue Nov 23 02:05:27 2021
    On 22.11.2021. 20:28, I Envy JTEM wrote:

And if Dog was smart he'd spell his name backwards and collect all those donations.

And if I am not a dog, I'd be god, :) .

--
    human-evolution@googlegroups.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 19 15:58:33 2021
    On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 9:59:39 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 9:37:42 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Cobalt is vital for electric vehicles and the push against climate change. Two-thirds of it comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the quest for the metal has demonstrated how the clean energy revolution is caught in a cycle of

-

No surprise, President Biden's son is making green money from this rape of the Congo:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-firm-chinese-purchase-cobalt-mine.amp

Update

It might be difficult for engineers who are developing the technologies to understand the social effects. By working together, we can form a whole picture of the consequences of resource extraction."

Unintended consequences of decarbonization

What Dunn and Young discovered was deeply troubling. They found cobalt mining was associated with increases in violence, substance abuse, food and water insecurity, and physical and mental health challenges. Community members reported losing communal
    land, farmland and homes, which miners literally dug up in order to extract cobalt. Without farmland, Congolese people were sometimes forced to cross international borders into Zambia just to purchase food.

Understanding cobalt's human cost
    Miners at a cobalt cleaning site in DRC wash ore in water, rendering it unsafe to drink. Credit: Northwestern University

"You might think of mining as just digging something up," Young said. "But they are not digging on vacant land. Homelands are dug up. People are literally digging holes in their living room floors. The repercussions of mining can touch almost every
    aspect of life."

Waste generated from mining cobalt and other metals can pollute water, air and soil, leading to decreased crop yields, contaminated food and water, and respiratory and reproductive health issues. Miners reported that working conditions were unsafe,
    unfair and stressful. Several workers noted that they feared mineshaft collapses.

As industry leaders move toward decarbonization to slow, stop or even reverse human-caused climate change, technologies are increasingly relying on batteries instead of fossil fuels. Unfortunately, the effects of these technologies on social well-being
    are understudied and data related to these effects are insufficient for use in policy-making decisions.

"If we're trying to be do-gooders by caring for the environment, then the environment shouldn't be limited to only the natural environment—but also the human environment," said Young, who studies water insecurityacross a range of global contexts.

Offering new solutions

Throughout their work, Dunn, Young and their team found little in the way of established guidance on best practices for conducting S-LCA, including little guidance on how to conduct interviews and a lack of consensus on how to use and analyze data from
    stakeholders.

"Most of this work has been conceptualized by natural scientists who have limited knowledge about social impacts," Dunn said. "Measuring environmental effects of a technology is sometimes as simple as adding a sensor to measure emissions. But trying to
    measure intangible social effects like mental health is much harder."

"And things that aren't measured remain invisible," Young added.

Because the quality of the social impact assessment relies on the quality of the data, the researchers identified five categories of data sources, which can be leveraged to better understand localized effects of mining: (1) interviews and focus groups of
    affected community members; (2) local public records, including land-related court claims, documentation of forced migration and publicly available health records; (3) cross-culturally validated scales, including data collected by national statistics
    agencies and organizations such as UNICEF and the World Bank; (4) data collected for the Sustainable Development Goals; and (5) remote sensing and imagery, including satellite imagery showing how farmland has changed after cobalt mining is established.

The researchers believe such methods can be applied to other scenarios beyond cobalt mining to gather social data surrounding emerging technologies.

"We have a long way to go before we can put S-LCA results in front of decision-makers in the same way we can with E-LCA results," Dunn said. "In the meantime, our society is going through huge changes, including climate change, so we feel a sense of
    urgency. We hope that policy makers recognize the urgency of the human costs of cobalt mining sooner rather than later."

The study, "Addressing the social life cycle inventory analysis data gap: Insights from a case study of cobalt mining in the Democratic Republic of the Congo," was supported by Leslie and Mac McQuown, the Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems and the
    Carnegie Corporation.

More information: Addressing the social life cycle inventory analysis data gap: Insights from a case study of cobalt mining in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, One Earth (2021). DOI: 10.1016/j.oneear.2021.11.007

Journal information: One Earth

Provided by Northwestern University

99 shares
    Feedback to editors
    Related
    Recommended

Protection needed for emerging mining hotspots
    Sep 28, 2020

New report maps mining impacts of the energy transition in the Americas
    Nov 24, 2021

Scientists reveal the hidden costs of cobalt mining in DR Congo
    Sep 21, 2018

Battery 'dream technology' is a step closer to reality with new discovery
    Dec 06, 2021

Gold mine workers face risk of death in the community more than double that of non-miners
    Oct 13, 2021

Electric cars can clean up the mining industry – here's how
    Apr 17, 2019
    Load comments (5)

Beneath La Palma volcano, scientists collect lava 'to learn'
    Dec 18, 2021

Juno spacecraft 'hears' Jupiter's moon
    Dec 17, 2021

Earthquake depth impacts potential tsunami threat
    Dec 17, 2021

First genome-wide ancient human DNA from Sudan shines new light on Nile Valley past
    Dec 17, 2021

Using sparse data to predict lab quakes
    Dec 17, 2021

NASA confirms next Friday for Webb Space Telescope launch
    Dec 17, 2021

After thousands of years, an iconic whale confronts a new enemy
    Dec 17, 2021

Mirror-image peptides form 'rippled sheet' structure predicted in 1953
    Dec 17, 2021

Discovering sources of Roman silver coinage from the Iberian Peninsula
    Dec 17, 2021

Sauropod dinosaurs were restricted to warmer regions of Earth
    Dec 17, 2021

Magnetic 'hedgehogs' could store big data in a small space
    Dec 17, 2021
    Search
    Favourites
    Subscribe to Newsletter
    Full version
    About
    Topic Settings
    Identify the news topics you want to see and prioritize an order.

Save and exit
    Cancel
    Your email
    Science X Daily and the Weekly Email Newsletter are free features that allow you to receive your favorite sci-tech news updates in your email inbox

GET IN TOUCH
    Contact us
    OUR PRODUCTS
    Tech Xplore
    Medical Xpress
    Science X
    OTHER PUBLICATIONS
    Android app
    iOS app
    RSS feeds
    EXTRAS
    Help
    FAQ
    LEGAL
    About
    Terms of use
    Privacy policy
    Science X Account
    Sponsored Account
    Newsletter
    Archive
    © Phys.org 2003 - 2021 powered by Science X Network

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Mario Petrinovic on Mon May 9 05:21:20 2022
    On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 12:24:19 PM UTC-5, Mario Petrinovic wrote:

-

You are living in the West, America, you don't understand a sh.t. I am living in some "third world" country, Croatia (ever heard of Balkan
    country (just like he is doing every year). And the president of this African country (I believe this country is bigger than France) said, we
    Croats are as poor as they can be. If they are any poorer they
    wouldn't be able to survive. Just like Polish people, Hungarians or Romanians. It is their government that takes care that they are as poor
    And Croats want things to be just like that. Every Croat wants to be a member of the elite which controls other Croats, so they understand that this is how things have to be, and no other way. You offer Croats
    freedom, they will not take it, because they don't understand how free system works, they want things to be exactly like they are now. They are afraid of free systems, they cannot control it.
    own people, they are exploiting their own country, it is them (the Congo elite) that are exploiters, not the Biden's son, who lives in non-exploiting, free, country, and who doesn't understand at all this Congoian, or Croatian, sh.t. He just takes the opportunities, if opportunities are there, and absolutely nothing else. But, it is not him
    who created those opportunities, it is the Congo elite that made it. Supported by Congo people.

You don't know Hunter Biden.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/08/hollywood-lawyer-kevin-morris-paid-off-over-2m-of-hunter-bidens-taxes/

He'd sell his mother.

--
    human-e...@googlegroups.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05