• Oysters only harvested in cold weather periods?

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 3 22:34:27 2021
    The R months: oyster harvesting only non-summer?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191120175609.htm

Cannarozzi and Kowalewski, Thompson Chair of Invertebrate Paleontology, analyzed oysters and snails from a 230-foot-wide, 4,300-year-old shell ring on St. Catherines Island and compared them with live oysters and snails. They found that island
    inhabitants were primarily harvesting oysters during late fall, winter and spring, which also suggested the presence of people on the island tapered off during the summer

What did they eat in summer?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 7 19:43:30 2021
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Cannarozzi and Kowalewski, Thompson Chair of Invertebrate Paleontology, analyzed oysters and snails from a 230-foot-wide, 4,300-year-old shell ring on St. Catherines Island and compared them with live oysters and snails. They found that island
    inhabitants were primarily harvesting oysters during late fall, winter and spring, which also suggested the presence of people on the island tapered off during the summer

Maybe they stockpiled them :-DDDDDD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Thu Nov 11 16:07:24 2021
    On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 9:43:31 PM UTC-5, Primum Sapienti wrote:
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Maybe they stockpiled them :-DDDDDD
    Silence from the mermaid squad....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 13 04:10:25 2021
    Op donderdag 4 november 2021 om 06:34:28 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

The R months: oyster harvesting only non-summer? https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191120175609.htm

See my comment there:

"Thanks a lot, very interesting.
    Human ancestors collected shellfish at least since the beginning of the Pleistocene - most likely, this is how they began using stone tools (cf sea-otters), google e.g. "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT".
    I'm wondering whether they collected more or other shellfish during Interglacials than during Glacials?"

Did H.erectus dive more during Glacials?

Only incredible idiots are convicned that H.erectus (stone tools, larger brain, pachy-osteo-sclerosis, platycephaly etc.) were no slow+shallow divers for shellfish.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 13 04:35:29 2021
    Op donderdag 4 november 2021 om 06:34:28 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

The R months: oyster harvesting only non-summer? https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191120175609.htm

I couldn't resist sending another comment:
    "Your article might help understand why human evolution from australopith-like to archaic Homo only began in the Pleistocene, when temperatures dropped, and more shellfish for human collection & consumption became available. Shellfish & other sea-foods
    are extremely rich in brain-specific nutrients such as DHA (decosahexaenoic acid) etc. Shelfish consumption not only explains why Pleistocene Homo evolved larger brains, but also why they began using stone tools (parallels with sea-otters), and why they
    evolved pachy-osteo-sclerosis (very heavy, dense & thick skeletons), which is uniquely seen in shallow-diving tetrapods. Google e.g. "ape human evolution made easy PPT verhaegen"."

Running after antelopes?
    :-DDD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 15 16:38:19 2021
    On Saturday, November 13, 2021 at 7:10:26 AM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    See my comment there:

"Thanks a lot, very interesting.
    Human ancestors collected shellfish at least since the beginning of the Pleistocene - most likely, this is how they began using stone tools (cf sea-otters), google e.g. "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT".
    I'm wondering whether they collected more or other shellfish during Interglacials than during Glacials?"

Only incredible idiots are convicned that H.erectus (stone tools, larger brain, pachy-osteo-sclerosis, platycephaly etc.) were no slow+shallow divers for shellfish.
    -
    So, what did they eat in summer, when the water warmed comfortably?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 15 16:42:02 2021
    On Saturday, November 13, 2021 at 7:35:30 AM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    I couldn't resist sending another comment:
    "Your article might help understand why human evolution from australopith-like to archaic Homo only began in the Pleistocene, when temperatures dropped, and more shellfish for human collection & consumption became available. Shellfish & other sea-foods
    are extremely rich in brain-specific nutrients such as DHA (decosahexaenoic acid) etc. Shelfish consumption not only explains why Pleistocene Homo evolved larger brains, but also why they began using stone tools (parallels with sea-otters), and why they
    evolved pachy-osteo-sclerosis (very heavy, dense & thick skeletons), which is uniquely seen in shallow-diving tetrapods. Google e.g. "ape human evolution made easy PPT verhaegen"."
    Running after antelopes?
    :-DDD
    -
    4ka AMHs with dogs and bows and carried shelters but no antelopes anywhere?? Maybe they hibernated inside giant clamshells?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 16 02:22:02 2021
    Op dinsdag 16 november 2021 om 01:38:20 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

See my comment there: "Thanks a lot, very interesting.

Cannarozzi and Kowalewski, Thompson Chair of Invertebrate Paleontology, analyzed oysters & snails from a 230-foot-wide, 4,300-year-old shell ring on St.Catherines Island, and compared them with live oysters & snails:
    island inhabitants were primarily harvesting oysters during late fall, winter & spring, which also suggested the presence of people on the island tapered off during the summer

Only incredible idiots are convinced that H.erectus (stone tools, larger brain, pachy-osteo-sclerosis, platycephaly etc.) were no slow+shallow divers for shellfish.

What we ate before domestication: rice, vegetables, fish, meat & shellfish when available...
    We live in an interglacial: that's why our anatomy is not "archaic" any more.

It's incredible that there are still PAs who believe their Pleistocene ancestors ran after antelopes.
    These are no scientists, but incredible idiots.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 16 03:21:52 2021
    On Tuesday, November 16, 2021 at 5:22:03 AM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op dinsdag 16 november 2021 om 01:38:20 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

What does 1ma H erectus in the Old World have to do with 4,300 year old New World shell middens of shells harvested during the months containing "R"?

Cannarozzi and Kowalewski, Thompson Chair of Invertebrate Paleontology, analyzed oysters & snails from a 230-foot-wide, 4,300-year-old shell ring on St.Catherines Island, and compared them with live oysters & snails:
    island inhabitants were primarily harvesting oysters during late fall, winter & spring, which also suggested the presence of people on the island tapered off during the summer
    Only incredible idiots are convinced that H.erectus (stone tools, larger brain, pachy-osteo-sclerosis, platycephaly etc.) were no slow+shallow divers for shellfish.

What does 1ma H erectus in the Old World have to do with 4,300 year old New World shell middens of shells harvested during the months containing "R"?

What we ate before domestication: rice

Rice is a domesticated plant unavailable to AMHs in that region 4.3ka.

, vegetables, fish, meat

Hunted or scavenged?

& shellfish when available...
    We live in an interglacial: that's why our anatomy is not "archaic" any more.

It's incredible that there are still PAs who believe their Pleistocene ancestors ran after antelopes.

Antelope were unavailable to AMHs in that region 4.3ka. Relevance?

I know who is a scientist and who claims to be a scientist.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 18 12:11:01 2021
    Op dinsdag 16 november 2021 om 12:21:54 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

What not??
    Equids 20 Ma ate grass, horses today still do.

No answer, of course.

Think a bit, my boy, instead of asking ridiculous questions.

Wild rice?
    Humans, gorillas & bonobos wade bipedally for waterlilies.

, vegetables, fish, meat

Hunted or scavenged?

Nets, dogs, spears, traps...

Salmon, cray-, shellfish: the most delicious & healthy foods.

We live in an interglacial: that's why our anatomy is not "archaic" any more?

Antelope were unavailable to AMHs in that region 4.3 ka. Relevance?

4.3 ka is no Pleistocene?

Yes, my boy, the endurance running "scientists" are no scientists.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 18 23:14:21 2021
    On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 3:11:01 PM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op dinsdag 16 november 2021 om 12:21:54 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

What not??

"Rudimentary swimming"...

Equids 20 Ma ate grass, horses today still do.

They don't sleep on water.

No answer, of course.
    Think a bit, my boy, instead of asking ridiculous questions.

Wild rice?

Wild rice only grows in inland lakes, not Atlantic isles.

Humans, gorillas & bonobos wade bipedally for waterlilies.
    , vegetables, fish, meat

Hunted or scavenged?
    Nets, dogs, spears, traps...

8 months out of twelve.

Salmon, cray-, shellfish: the most delicious & healthy foods.

Sleeping on water?

We live in an interglacial: that's why our anatomy is not "archaic" any more?

Antelope were unavailable to AMHs in that region 4.3 ka. Relevance?
    4.3 ka is no Pleistocene?

Holocene/Anthropocene.

Yes, my boy, the endurance running "scientists" are no scientists.

Strawmen neither.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05