• Hominoid tail loss, folic acid

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 19 10:16:50 2021
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a37790228/human-tails/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 19 14:36:46 2021
    Op dinsdag 19 oktober 2021 om 19:16:51 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Yes, this might explain how early apes lost their tail.
    The why is easier, google our TREE paper "Aquarboreal Ancestors".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Wed Oct 20 20:15:06 2021
    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 5:36:47 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op dinsdag 19 oktober 2021 om 19:16:51 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

I've already clearly explained why.

Fruits & nuts hanging between branches are more efficiently harvested by bimanual-suspended foot-grasping & bipedal-orthograde hand-plucking in combination with slow brachiation and upright walking. This behaviour pre-existed tail-loss incipiently and
    was a selective force when the gene mutation occurred, which in turn selected strongly for tendon-locking perching on horizontal and diagonal branches as seen in hylobatids and vestigially in humans cf nocturnal calf-cramp "charley horse" avatism; and in
    perfect parallel to avians esp. raptors.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 21 11:11:27 2021
    Op donderdag 21 oktober 2021 om 05:15:07 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

:-DDD

Fruits & nuts hanging between branches are more efficiently harvested by bimanual-suspended foot-grasping & bipedal-orthograde hand-plucking in combination with slow brachiation and upright walking.

Yes, and that explains IYO why all monkeys have broad thoraces, weigh >50 kg, have centrally-placed spines etc.etc.?

This behaviour pre-existed tail-loss incipiently and was a selective force when the gene mutation occurred, which in turn selected strongly for tendon-locking perching on horizontal and diagonal branches as seen in hylobatids and vestigially in humans
    cf nocturnal calf-cramp "charley horse" avatism; and in perfect parallel to avians esp. raptors.

Just-so story - but indeed markedly better than the ridiculous endurance-running fantasy.

Early apes became much bigger & upright & broadly-built & lost the tail to wade in swamp forests, but yes: probably to harvest fruits & nuts hanging overhead.
    This is seen incipiently in Nasalis concolor, IOW, it easily explains why early apes lost their tail,
    google our TREE paper "Aquarboreal Ancestors?"
    M Verhaegen, P-F Puech & S Munro 2002 Trends Ecol Evol 17:212-7.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 21 12:36:14 2021
    On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 2:11:28 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op donderdag 21 oktober 2021 om 05:15:07 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Fruits & nuts hanging between branches are more efficiently harvested by bimanual-suspended foot-grasping & bipedal-orthograde hand-plucking in combination with slow brachiation and upright walking.
    Yes, and that explains IYO why all monkeys

No, all hominoids but no monkeys have locking tendons and:

have broad thoraces,

Can but not necessarily

weigh >50 kg, have centrally-placed spines etc.etc.?

This behaviour pre-existed tail-loss incipiently and was a selective force when the gene mutation occurred, which in turn selected strongly for tendon-locking perching on horizontal and diagonal branches as seen in hylobatids and vestigially in
    humans cf nocturnal calf-cramp "charley horse" avatism; and in perfect parallel to avians esp. raptors.
    Just-so story

Wrong. Exact parallel in pterosaurs, avians & hominoids, all arboreal non-waders!!! Upright perching & plucking with feet, but not by monkeys!!

- but indeed markedly better than the ridiculous endurance-running fantasy.

Your precious strawman of no relevance here.

Early apes became much bigger & upright & broadly-built & lost the tail to wade

Fallacy. No wading early hominoids, probably swam like sloths rarely, until air sacs evolved which selected for upright buoyancy.

in swamp forests, but yes: probably to harvest fruits & nuts hanging overhead.
    This is seen incipiently in Nasalis concolor,

Wrong, Nasalis can't lock their pedal tendons.

IOW, it easily explains why early apes lost their tail,

No connection.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 21 15:51:57 2021
    Op donderdag 21 oktober 2021 om 21:36:15 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

No, all hominoids but no monkeys have locking tendons and have broad thoraces,

Locking tendons??

Broad thorax = broad sternum (Latisternalia) = lateral movements of arms = vertical spine.
    Early hominoids were wading upright, they used their arms to pick fruits above & climbed hanging below-branch.

Can but not necessarily

??

No answer, of course.

This behaviour pre-existed tail-loss incipiently and was a selective force when the gene mutation occurred, which in turn selected strongly for tendon-locking perching on horizontal and diagonal branches as seen in hylobatids and vestigially in
    humans cf nocturnal calf-cramp "charley horse" avatism; and in perfect parallel to avians esp. raptors.

Just-so story.

Wrong. Exact parallel in pterosaurs, avians & hominoids, all arboreal non-waders!!! Upright perching & plucking with feet, but not by monkeys!!

Don't talk nonsense:
    -pterosaurs onknown,
    -no bird uses its wings to pick fruits,
    -no bird has flat feet to wade.

OK, but it's still the most ridiculous story ever told. :-DDD

Fallacy. No wading early hominoids, probably swam like sloths rarely, until air sacs evolved which selected for upright buoyancy.

Don't you know the difference between wade & swim??

This has 0 to do with it.
    Don't you know the difference between wade & perch??

No connection.

The paper, my boy, https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a37790228/human-tails/

No answer, of course.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 21 18:30:44 2021
    On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 6:51:58 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op donderdag 21 oktober 2021 om 21:36:15 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

No, all hominoids but no monkeys have locking tendons and have broad thoraces,
    Locking tendons??

Broad thorax = broad sternum (Latisternalia) = lateral movements of arms = vertical spine.
    Early hominoids were wading upright, they used their arms to pick fruits above & climbed hanging below-branch.

Can but not necessarily

??
    No answer, of course.
    Just-so story.
    Don't talk nonsense:
    -pterosaurs onknown,
    -no bird uses its wings to pick fruits,
    -no bird has flat feet to wade.

OK, but it's still the most ridiculous story ever told. :-DDD

Don't you know the difference between wade & swim??

This has 0 to do with it.
    Don't you know the difference between wade & perch??

No connection.
    The paper, my boy, https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a37790228/human-tails/
    No answer, of course.

See new thread: Parallel Convergence in Tendon locking & Tail loss

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05