• WHAT talk Bert Chan 9.1.22

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 11 11:22:47 2023
    Bert Chan thought Pleistocene Homo might have triathlonned (bike=technol., run + swim), but IMO H.erectus was no runner at all: very heavy skeleton (pachy-osteo-sclerosis POS), short tibias, very flat feet, X-knees, long & rel.horizontal femoral necks,
    very broad pelvis & thorax etc.: these people rarely ran.
    POS is only seen in slow+shallow-diving tetrapods: H.erectus apparently very frequently dived, e.g. for shellfish (rich in DHA cf. larger brain).
    Pliocene Homo did not even live in Africa, e.g.
    -- "Lineage-Specific Expansions of Retroviral Insertions within the Genomes of African Great Apes but Not Humans and Orangutans" CT Yohn cs 2005 PLoS,
    -- "Evolution of type C viral genes: Evidence for an Asian origin of man" RE Benveniste & GJ Todaro 1976 Nature 261:101-8.
    In my 2022 book p.299-300, I suggested that late-Miocene Homo-Pan lived in swamp forests along the Red Sea, and when the Red Sea opened into the Gulf (5.33 Ma? Zanclean flood),
    -Pan went right (E.Afr.coastal forests->southern Rift etc.),
    -Homo went left (S.Asia->Java etc.).

Anti-AATers are not only wrong in their savanna fantasies, but also in thinking that apiths are human ancestors because "bipedal". But
    (1) Miocene Hominoidea were already BP: for wading upright + climbing arms overhead in the branches above the swamp, google "aquarboreal",
    (2) the anthropo- & afro-centric belief that all 100s of "hominin" fossils are close relatives of us, and that bonobos, chimps, low- or highland gorillas had virtually no fossils is nonsense, statistically of course, but also anatomically: in several
    papers (e.g. Hum.Evol.1990, 1994, 1996) I showed: E.Afr.apiths were anatomically closer to Gorilla than to HP, and S.Afr.apiths closer to Pan than to Homo (and Homo was probably in S.Asia then! see above).

Pan & Gorilla evolved largely in parallel IMO: Pliocene afarensis//africanus -> early-Pleist.boisei//robustus -> late-Pleist.knuckle-walking.

In any case, H.sapiens' frequent running (triathlon) evolved only late-Pleistocene.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)