• large brain

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 00:53:59 2022
    Question at Quora:

What is the definition of intelligence?
    Are there any animals which have larger brains than humans but are considered less intelligent?
    If so, how does this happen?

My answer:

Difficult to say. Generally, aquatic mammals (esp. dolphins, seals…) have rel.larger brains than terrestrial mammals, but does this have to do with sea-foods (e.g. rich in DHA & other LC-PUFAs)? with swimming (the head doesn’t have to move much)? or
    ? And does this mean these animals are more “intelligent”??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 7 05:28:18 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

Question at Quora:

I would say "Problem Solving." Sort of a Catch-all answer which itself needs some
    defining.

"Communication" could itself be a characteristic of intelligence, or it could be
    problem solving in a specific form...

See?

Are there any animals which have larger brains than humans but are considered less intelligent? If so, how does this happen?

There are primitive cultures today, right now. Go back a hundred years ago and there were a lot more primitive people running around. But they were all "Modern"
    humans. Supposedly if they had been transplanted to modern society at birth, given the same education and opportunities as the self imposed elite here, they would have turned out the same way...

I have often argued that ancient Rome achieved everything they needed to spark the Industrial Revolution more than a thousand years earlier, EXCEPT the necessary social reforms. Where there was a mass market to support it, such
    as in agricultural products, there was some pretty impressive (and advanced) industrialization. Watermills for milling flour, for example. They had reached the
    point where they could harness nature to power a miller's wheel, but they saw no profit in working out how to do the same for the loom...

Supposedly they had all the technological sophistication to build a machine such as an astronomical clock, absent the clock. Google:

Antikythera Mechanism

Effectively it was nothing more than an astronomical clock without the clock itself, AND without a power source.

(Prevailing view is that it had to be cranked by hand)

And that was CENTURIES before the Roman water mills!

They had all the pieces, simply zero reasons for placing them all together.

My answer:

Difficult to say. Generally, aquatic mammals (esp. dolphins, seals…) have rel.larger
    brains than terrestrial mammals, but does this have to do with sea-foods (e.g. rich
    in DHA & other LC-PUFAs)? with swimming (the head doesn’t have to move much)?
    or…? And does this mean these animals are more “intelligent”??

One of the online talking heads, forget which ones, was speculating on alien civilizations. He pointed out that any number greater than ZERO life-bearing planets would have to be water worlds, and that this would exclude the possibility of a technologically advanced civilization arising.

Just look at the problems with fire!

Aquatic doesn't mean big, intelligent brains. But it does mean brains as big
    as genetics will allow. But if they can't do anything with a bigger, smarter brain, there's no selective pressure to favor it.

I'm sure they're intelligent, Dolphins and Whales, but more so like humans living within a primitive culture today, or those ancient Romans, than like you.

Instead of unraveling Dolphin intelligence, could we shape it?

Can we design an environment, present the challenges and rewards that incentivize the use of their brains -- give "Smart" dolphins a reproductive advantage?

Environment makes the difference between a primitive modern human
    and an educated, tech savvy one. How could it not do the same for our
    Marine Mammal cousins?

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/702918710262923264

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 8 03:10:48 2022
    Op woensdag 7 december 2022 om 14:28:19 UTC+1 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:

I would say "Problem Solving." Sort of a Catch-all answer which itself needs some
    defining.
    "Communication" could itself be a characteristic of intelligence, or it could be
    problem solving in a specific form... See?

Did Hs evolve smaller brains than Hn because Hs (vs Hn?) had speech??
    or because Hs was not semi-aquatic any more after we evolved the enzyme for converting MC-PUFAs into LC-PUFAs c 80 ka??
    or...??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 8 17:38:28 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

No. I think it was diet.

or because Hs was not semi-aquatic any more after we evolved the enzyme for converting
    MC-PUFAs into LC-PUFAs c 80 ka?? or...??

The shrinkage really seems to hit during historic times, civilization,
    so I could only think it was diet. As agriculture grew in importance,
    as the average person relied more & more on agriculture to eat,
    the average brain size would have to fall... would it not?

Even with the so called "Improved" ability to synthesize DHA, we're
    not good at it. Women better than men, probably because they
    carry and feed babies, but we're just not "Good."

"Better" than "You really suck at it" leaves a lot of room to fall shy
    of "Good."

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/703058730579820544

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 9 01:39:04 2022
    Op vrijdag 9 december 2022 om 02:38:29 UTC+1 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:

No. I think it was diet.

or because Hs was not semi-aquatic any more after we evolved the enzyme for converting
    MC-PUFAs into LC-PUFAs c 80 ka?? or...??

The shrinkage really seems to hit during historic times, civilization,
    so I could only think it was diet. As agriculture grew in importance,
    as the average person relied more & more on agriculture to eat,
    the average brain size would have to fall... would it not?
    Even with the so called "Improved" ability to synthesize DHA, we're
    not good at it. Women better than men, probably because they
    carry and feed babies, but we're just not "Good."
    "Better" than "You really suck at it" leaves a lot of room to fall shy
    of "Good."

Head movements are limited in swimming, but heavy brains hinder head movements on land:
    was the transition from frequent diving (streamlined head+brain, see Hn reconstruction, google "verhaegen human evolution") to terrestrial locomotion (after c 80 ka?) important?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05