• Tetrapod skull & limb evolved fewer bones

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 10 17:47:29 2022
    information: James Rawson et al, Early tetrapod cranial evolution is characterised by increased complexity, constraint and an offset from fin-limb evolution, Science Advances (2022). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.adc8875. www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adc8875

Journal information: Science Advances

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 12 01:18:50 2022
    Op zondag 11 september 2022 om 02:47:31 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

information: James Rawson et al, Early tetrapod cranial evolution is characterised by increased complexity, constraint and an offset from fin-limb evolution, Science Advances (2022). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.adc8875. www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.
    adc8875

Thanks!

Early tetrapod cranial evolution is characterized by increased complexity, constraint, and an offset from fin-limb evolution
    James RG Rawson cs 2022
    Science Advances 8, 36
    doi 10.1126/sciadv.adc8875

The developmental underpinnings & functional consequences of modifications to the limbs during the origin of the tetrapod body-plan are increasingly well characterized,
    but less is understood about the evolution of the tetrapod skull.
    Decrease in skull-bone nr has been hypothesized to promote morphological & functional diversification in vertebrate clades,
    but its impact during the initial rise of tetrapods is unknown.

Here, we test this by quantifying topological changes to cranial anatomy in fossil & living taxa bracketing the fin-to-limb transition, using anatomical network analysis.
    We find:
    bone loss across the origin of tetrapods is ass.x
    - increased complexity of bone-to-bone contacts,
    - decreasing topological diversity throughout the late Paleozoic, which may be related to developmental and/or mechanical constraints.
    We also uncover a 10-My offset between fin-limb & cranial morphological evolution:
    did different evolutionary drivers affect these features during the origin of tetrapods?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)