• Senses

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 06:26:30 2022
    Ed Yong's book: An immense world

Human olfaction better than canids in detecting wood & fruit, cedar, bananas

Lions & hyenas at a distance (90m, 40m) can't distinguish the black and white stripes of zebras, humans can (200m).

Hibernating ground squirrels must occasionally wake up and warm up to go to sleep, otherwise they get sleep deficit. Hibernation is metabolic inactivity (coldblooded), sleep (warmblooded) is not.

Humans and sea otters have extremely sensitive hands compared to other fauna, most of which have touch-sensitive facial organs eg. seal whiskers (which have vortex-detecting beads to chase fish at night).

Each bird's flight feather has an accompanying small filoplume acting as a mechanoreceptor.

A peacock tail feathers resonates at 26Hz, the same frequency as its head crest feathers. The thrumming sound produced may give an illusion of a predator's presence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 10:42:15 2022
    Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2022 om 15:26:32 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Ed Yong's book: An immense world
    Human olfaction better than canids in detecting wood & fruit, cedar, bananas Lions & hyenas at a distance (90m, 40m) can't distinguish the black and white stripes of zebras, humans can (200m).
    Hibernating ground squirrels must occasionally wake up and warm up to go to sleep, otherwise they get sleep deficit. Hibernation is metabolic inactivity (coldblooded), sleep (warmblooded) is not.
    Humans and sea otters have extremely sensitive hands compared to other fauna, most of which have touch-sensitive facial organs eg. seal whiskers (which have vortex-detecting beads to chase fish at night).
    Each bird's flight feather has an accompanying small filoplume acting as a mechanoreceptor.
    A peacock tail feathers resonates at 26Hz, the same frequency as its head crest feathers. The thrumming sound produced may give an illusion of a predator's presence.

Thanks, DD.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 14:57:37 2022
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Every now & then we see "Humans have better sense of smell than dogs" and/or other animals renowned for their sense of smell, and we know it's bullshit.

Great. So you can pick out a banana smell better. Like that's roughly equal to sniff a seat & tracking down someone through a building & out the door... right.

It's pointless.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/693572982046588928

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to JTEM is so reasonable on Fri Aug 26 20:21:43 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 5:57:38 PM UTC-4, JTEM is so reasonable wrote:
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Every now & then we see "Humans have better sense of smell than dogs" and/or other animals renowned for their sense of smell, and we know it's bullshit.

Great. So you can pick out a banana smell better. Like that's roughly equal to
    sniff a seat & tracking down someone through a building & out the door... right.

It's pointless.

-- --

GIGO.
    Frugivorous ancestry selected for arboreal fruit & nut scent & taste, not distinguishable to terrestrial carnivores. Cats have no sweet-detecting tastebuds. Hummingbirds have no sweet-detecting tastebuds, but they have umami tastebuds which mutated to
    taste nectar. We know this information is far beyond your intellect, but there are occasional visitors to SAP that learn ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 22:07:51 2022
    All these years and the jackass STILL hasn't figured out the
    difference between a verb and a noun, or what GIGO means.

Must be a paleo anthropologists. I can tell by all the drool.

-- --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05