• How I got the aquarboreal idea

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 15:35:54 2022
    -- Primates are arboreal,
    -- humans are ex(semi)aquatic (fat, furless, flat feet, linear build, voluntary breathing etc.):
    since evolution is gradual, there had to be an intermediate phase of trees+water.

This aquarboreal idea was later confirmed by the discovery of the wading gorillas & still later bonobos & orangs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Aug 25 17:49:41 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 6:35:55 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    -- humans are ex(semi)aquatic (fat, furless, flat feet, linear build, voluntary breathing etc.):
    since evolution is gradual, there had to be an intermediate phase of trees+water.

This aquarboreal idea was later confirmed by the discovery of the wading gorillas & still later bonobos & orangs.

Hylobatids never wade.
    All hominoids slow-brachiate & walk bipedally on branches.
    No fantasy required.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Aug 25 22:39:22 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

What about the even more bipedal instances of bipedal behavior on land?

Wading is just walking in water.

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/_h4FUgX22Ik/m/rZGgIYIOKU4J

begin quote
    Bonobos state (when not sitting/laying down, lets say 4 hrs/day)

% of time - % bipedal - % of life - min/day

Terrestrial 75 3 2.1 - 6 min
    Arboreal 24 1 0.25 - 0.6 min
    Wading 1 90 0.9 - 3 min
    ---- ---- ------
    100 N/A +/- 5

Now the first column ("% of time" ) is nothing more than just my imagined, completely WAG numbers, iow, pure fabrication, and Im sure that from your masters thesis research you could obviously supply some real, supportable numbers. So, will be looking forward to your ACCURATE assessment of the time spent aquatically wading as a function of the TOTAL time spent standing
    erect, nuckle-walking and wading. If we find that the time spent wading is
    at all significant with respect to the total time spent moving around, THEN
    you might have an arguement for some degree of aquatic adaption,
    particularly if the adaptations do not interfere with the perhaps MORE significant terrestrial and arboreal existences. (Cant have an adaptation
    that is "5% important" in the lives of the bonobo to detract too much from a capability that is "70% important" now can wel?) Given the thorough research and study required for a Masters' thesis, that info should be readily
    available in well documented and fully supportable form, right?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 09:14:22 2022
    Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2022 om 02:49:42 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Hylobatids never wade.

My little boy,
    - we're no quadrupedal, but our ancestros were,
    - gibbons dont wade, but their Miocene ancestors did.

Grow up!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 26 09:42:39 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

How I got it:

-- Everyone, including Out of Africa purists, agree that our ancestors were on the coast: Coastal Dispersal. That means they were exploiting the sea, not stopping at Burger King for a chicken burger.

-- Omega-3s. Seafood is an excellent source, the savanna sucks rotten eggs. With Omega-3s their brains would be just as large as genetics would allow, which means they were in a position to fully exploit any "Bigger Brain" gene mutations.

-- Aquatic Ape provides a means, a mechanism for the dispersal of Homo, as
    well as an explanation for this dispersal. Humans were everywhere from South Africa to Oceania and they didn't get there by flying.

-- Taken as a whole, it fits our concept of evolution like a glove. We have dispersal, isolation & reconnection all in one model. They lived on the
    coast, exploiting easily obtained resources before moving on. Occasionally groups would push inland (in reaction to conflict, disease, natural
    disaster and even the glacial/interglacial cycle). Once there they adapted to the new environments. Eventually any new adaptations could be shared
    with other groups through contact with the remaining coastal population.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/693572982046588928

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 10:38:16 2022
    Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2022 om 18:42:40 UTC+2 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:

How I got it:
    -- Everyone, including Out of Africa purists, agree that our ancestors were on
    the coast: Coastal Dispersal. That means they were exploiting the sea, not stopping at Burger King for a chicken burger.
    -- Omega-3s. Seafood is an excellent source, the savanna sucks rotten eggs. With Omega-3s their brains would be just as large as genetics would allow, which means they were in a position to fully exploit any "Bigger Brain" gene mutations.
    -- Aquatic Ape provides a means, a mechanism for the dispersal of Homo, as well as an explanation for this dispersal. Humans were everywhere from South Africa to Oceania and they didn't get there by flying.
    -- Taken as a whole, it fits our concept of evolution like a glove. We have dispersal, isolation & reconnection all in one model. They lived on the coast, exploiting easily obtained resources before moving on. Occasionally groups would push inland (in reaction to conflict, disease, natural
    disaster and even the glacial/interglacial cycle). Once there they adapted to the new environments. Eventually any new adaptations could be shared

Yes, that's obvious: everybody agrees & nobody (except a few retarded antelope runners) doubts that Pleistocene Homo dispersal along the coasts & later rivers of S-Asia, Africa & Europe.

But what happened before the Pleistocene?

When did our ancestors become littoral shallow-divers for shellfish? already in the Pliocene??
    if not, why only early-Pleistocene? Pleistocene cooling = more abundant shellfish??

And why did the ape ancestors leave or reduce their aquarboreal lifestyle? Pleistocene cooling??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 26 20:15:07 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 1:38:17 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2022 om 18:42:40 UTC+2 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:

How I got it:
    -- Everyone, including Out of Africa purists, agree that our ancestors were on
    the coast: Coastal Dispersal. That means they were exploiting the sea, not stopping at Burger King for a chicken burger.
    -- Omega-3s. Seafood is an excellent source, the savanna sucks rotten eggs. With Omega-3s their brains would be just as large as genetics would allow, which means they were in a position to fully exploit any "Bigger Brain" gene
    mutations.
    -- Aquatic Ape provides a means, a mechanism for the dispersal of Homo, as well as an explanation for this dispersal. Humans were everywhere from South
    Africa to Oceania and they didn't get there by flying.
    -- Taken as a whole, it fits our concept of evolution like a glove. We have dispersal, isolation & reconnection all in one model. They lived on the coast, exploiting easily obtained resources before moving on. Occasionally groups would push inland (in reaction to conflict, disease, natural disaster and even the glacial/interglacial cycle). Once there they adapted to
    the new environments. Eventually any new adaptations could be shared
    Yes, that's obvious: everybody agrees & nobody (except a few retarded antelope runners) doubts that Pleistocene Homo dispersal along the coasts & later rivers of S-Asia, Africa & Europe.

But what happened before the Pleistocene?

When did our ancestors become littoral shallow-divers for shellfish? already in the Pliocene??
    if not, why only early-Pleistocene? Pleistocene cooling = more abundant shellfish??

And why did the ape ancestors leave or reduce their aquarboreal lifestyle? Pleistocene cooling??

Hylobatids never wade.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 23:24:11 2022
    Op zaterdag 27 augustus 2022 om 05:15:09 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Hylobatids never wade.

Yes, yes, my little boy, I never walk quadrupedally, nevertheless I have QP ancestors.
    Gibbons like all Hominoidea have (unlike monkeys & most mammals) e.g.
    - very broad thorax & sternum: dorsal scapulas & lateral arms,
    - centrally-placed spine + less lumbar, more sacral, much less coccygal vertebrae (sacralisation & no tail),
    this can't be explained by atelid-like brachiation (narrow thorax, grasping-tail etc.),
    but easily by an aquarboreal evolution, google "Aquarboreal Ancestos?".

Grow up. Inform a *little* bit at least, instead of talking nonsense.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 27 10:46:24 2022
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

[...]

When you have nothing to say, it is best to say nothing.

Modern humans are an anomaly. We're not looking for matches
    within nature, we're looking for models that explains how we
    got so different.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/693572982046588928

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 27 13:45:34 2022
    Op zaterdag 27 augustus 2022 om 19:46:25 UTC+2 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:

Modern humans are an anomaly. We're not looking for matches
    within nature, we're looking for models that explains how we
    got so different.

Humans are special, but when we analyse human features in more elementary units, comparisons often become possible, e.g. we have very long legs, like kangaroos (bent: hopping) but also like ostriches (stretched: running), but unlike these animals we have
    very flat feet with rel.long first & last digital rays, like swimming or wading tetrapods, etc. The same can be said about our brain, dentition, tail, hands, nose, whatever. When we use all the available comparative information, and compare this with
    our close relatives, it's clear IMO that we had a very special evolution: from arboreal to aquarboreal to littoral to wading to walking.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 27 14:22:23 2022
    Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2022 om 00:35:55 UTC+2 schreef littor...@gmail.com:

The wading component of this aquarboreal locomotion was very important: apes differ drastically from monkeys,
    e.g. tail loss is very unexpected in purely arboreal mammals.
    Not unlikely Mio-Pliocene Hominoidea were also excellent swimmers (water surface), but so far, I can't see indications they frequently dived.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 28 14:32:44 2022
    On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 5:22:24 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2022 om 00:35:55 UTC+2 schreef littor...@gmail.com:
    The wading component of this aquarboreal locomotion was very important: apes differ drastically from monkeys,
    Not unlikely Mio-Pliocene Hominoidea were also excellent swimmers (water surface), but so far, I can't see indications they frequently dived.

Mermaids.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 29 02:11:15 2022
    Op zondag 28 augustus 2022 om 23:32:46 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Mermaids.

:-) You fully agree: thanks for the empty argument, my little boy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 31 10:17:08 2022
    On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 5:11:16 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op zondag 28 augustus 2022 om 23:32:46 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Mermaids.

No-one can argue with your dreams, meine kleine tochtar. Hylobatids do not wade, nor did their ancestors, but monkeys wade and climb.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 11:52:02 2022
    Op woensdag 31 augustus 2022 om 19:17:09 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Mermaids.

No-one can argue with your dreams, meine kleine tochtar. Hylobatids do not wade, nor did their ancestors, but monkeys wade and climb.

Grow up: it's "Tochter".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 31 14:54:37 2022
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 2:52:03 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op woensdag 31 augustus 2022 om 19:17:09 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

Mermaids.

Grow up: it's "Tochter".
    from Proto-Germanic *dokhter. :DDD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JTEM is so reasonable@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 18:20:19 2022

[...]

"Domeshields," he said, while wiping the spittle from the corner of his mouth. "Lots of Domeshields. And trout. Don't forget the trout. It's important to not forget the trout as that's why the Oompa Loompas were in those caves,
    floating down the subterranean crystalline streams to Australia." He then pooped himself and smiled. "That," he said, "That was a good one."

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/694054825022930944

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to JTEM is so reasonable on Thu Sep 1 06:09:57 2022
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 9:20:20 PM UTC-4, JTEM is so reasonable wrote:

[...]
    "Domeshields," he said, while wiping the spittle from the corner of his mouth.
    "Lots of Domeshields. And trout. Don't forget the trout. It's important to not
    forget the trout as that's why the Oompa Loompas were in those caves, floating down the subterranean crystalline streams to Australia." He then pooped himself and smiled. "That," he said, "That was a good one."

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/694054825022930944

When they can only respond with insults & distractions, their arguments have no value to science and are best ignored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 1 15:48:29 2022
    Op donderdag 1 september 2022 om 15:09:58 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

When they can only respond with insults & distractions, their arguments have no value to science and are best ignored.

Yes, of course, when the antelope runners can only respond with insults & distractions, let's ignore them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05