• Small fingertips

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 9 10:11:45 2022
    Just now in the bus from Miami Beach, the fellow sitting in the seat in front of me had extraordinary fingers: very thick, probably due to daily manual work (like a friend's 'sausage fingers', he hand-scrubs boat bottoms of barnacles & algae), but he
    also had a tiny distal phallanx at the thumb and the index fingertips. He otherwise looked normal, likely an immigrant from Haiti, no abnormal physical features. I attempted to take a phone photo, but at the next bus stop he departed.

What could cause such a rare condition? If manual work, why the tiny fingertips? The thumb phallanx was half the size of a girl's thumb phallanx.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul Crowley@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 9 15:22:17 2022
    On Saturday 9 July 2022 at 18:11:46 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    Just now in the bus from Miami Beach, the fellow sitting in the seat in front of me had extraordinary fingers: very thick, probably due to daily manual work (like a friend's 'sausage fingers', he hand-scrubs boat bottoms of barnacles & algae), but he
    also had a tiny distal phallanx at the thumb and the index fingertips. He otherwise looked normal, likely an immigrant from Haiti, no abnormal physical features. I attempted to take a phone photo, but at the next bus stop he departed.

What could cause such a rare condition? If manual work, why the tiny fingertips? The thumb phallanx was half the size of a girl's thumb phallanx.

Suggest:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachydactyly_type_D

Surprisingly common. All kinds of names
    and variations.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Paul Crowley on Sat Jul 9 18:50:31 2022
    On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 6:22:18 PM UTC-4, Paul Crowley wrote:
    On Saturday 9 July 2022 at 18:11:46 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Suggest:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachydactyly_type_D

Surprisingly common. All kinds of names
    and variations.

Thanks, indeed far more common than I expected, at least in somewhat isolated populations. No mention of the index finger, so might be related. I probably wouldn't have noticed but for the thick fingers, like sausages, while he was holding his earbuds to
    his ears.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05