• E & S.Afr.apiths evolved in //

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 09:17:08 2022
    Cosmogenic nuclide dating of Australopithecus at Sterkfontein, South Africa Darryl E Granger cs 2022
    PNAS 119 (27) e2123516119
    doi org/10.1073/pnas.2123516119

Australopithecus fossils from the richest hominin-bearing deposit at StF (Member-4) are
    - considerably older than previously argued by some,
    - contemporary with Au.afarensis in E.Africa.
    Our dates demonstrate the limitations of the widely accepted concept that Au.africanus (well represented at StF) descended from Au.afarensis.

The contemporaneity of the 2 spp now suggests:
    a more complex family-tree prevailed early in the human (not human but hominid! --mv) evolutionary process.
    The dates
    - highlight the limitations of faunal age estimates previously relied upon for the S.African sites,
    - demonstrate the importance of detailed stratigraphic analysis in assessments of accurate dating of the karst cave sites in S.Africa, which are stratigraphically highly complex.

Abstract

StF is the most prolific single source of Australopithecus fossils,
    the vast majority were recovered from Member-4, a cave breccia now exposed by erosion, weathering at the landscape surface.
    A few other Australopithecus fossils (incl. StW-573) come from subterranean deposits (Partridge cs 2003 Sci.300:607, Clarke cs 2019 Hum.Evol.134,102634).
    Here, we report
    - a cosmogenic nuclide isochron burial date of 3.41 ± 0.11 Ma, within the lower middle part of Member-4,
    - simple burial dates of 3.49 ± 0.19 Ma in the upper middle part of Member-4, and 3.61 ± 0.09 Ma in Jacovec Cavern.
    Together with a previously published isochron burial date of 3.67 ± 0.16 Ma for StW-573 (Granger cs 2015 Nature 522:85), these results place nearly the entire Australopithecus assemblage at StF mid-Pliocene,
    i.e. contemporaneous with Au.afarensis in E.Africa.
    Our ages for the fossil-bearing breccia in Member-4 are considerably older than the previous ages of c 2.1-2.6 Ma, interpreted from flow-stones ass.x the same deposit.
    We show:
    - these previously dated flow-stones are stratigraphically intrusive within Member 4,
    - they therefore under-estimate the true age of the fossils.

_____

:-)
    Yes, Pliocene "gracile" afarensis & africanus (aquarboreal?) apparently evolved in parallel to early-Pleistocene "robust" boisei resp. robustus (still aquarboreal??).
    IMO (Hum.Evol.papers), the E.African afarensis->boisei belonged to Gorilla, the S.Afr.africanus->robustus to Pan (for refs, google "aquarboreal").
    If we call the S.Afr.fossil subgenus "Australopithecus" (africanus & robustus), the E.Afr.fossil subgenus could be called "Paranthropus" or even "Zinjanthropus" (afarensis & boisei).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 28 23:30:19 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Cosmogenic nuclide dating of Australopithecus at Sterkfontein, South Africa Darryl E Granger cs 2022

The REAL text, not what you made up

https://www.pnas.org/doi/epdf/10.1073/pnas.2123516119

Significance
    Australopithecus fossils from the richest hominin-bearing deposit (Member 4)
    at Sterkfontein in South Africa are considerably older than previously argued by some and are contemporary with Australopithecus afarensis in East Africa. Our dates demonstrate the limitations of the widely accepted concept that Australopithecus africanus, which is well represented at Sterkfontein, descended from A. afarensis. The contemporaneity of the two species now suggests that a more complex family tree prevailed early in the human evolutionary process. The dates highlight the limitations of faunal age estimates
    previously relied upon for the South African sites. They further
    demonstrate the
    importance of detailed stratigraphic analysis in assessments of accurate
    dating
    of the karst cave sites in South Africa, which are stratigraphically
    highly complex.

Abstract
    Sterkfontein is the most prolific single source of Australopithecus
    fossils, the vast
    majority of which were recovered from Member 4, a cave breccia now exposed
    by erosion and weathering at the landscape surface. A few other Australopithecus
    fossils, including the StW 573 skeleton, come from subterranean deposits
    [T. C.
    Partridge et al., Science 300, 607–612 (2003); R. J. Clarke, K. Kuman,
    J. Hum. Evol. 134, 102634 (2019)]. Here, we report a cosmogenic nuclide isochron
    burial date of 3.41 ± 0.11 million years (My) within the lower middle part of Member 4, and simple burial dates of 3.49 ± 0.19 My in the upper middle part of Member 4 and 3.61 ± 0.09 My in Jacovec Cavern. Together with a previously published isochron burial date of 3.67 ± 0.16 My for StW 573 [D. E.
    Granger et al.,
    Nature 522, 85–88 (2015)], these results place nearly the entire Australopithecus assemblage at Sterkfontein in the mid-Pliocene, contemporaneous with
    Australopithecus afarensis in East Africa. Our ages for the fossil-bearing breccia in
    Member 4 are considerably older than the previous ages of ca. 2.1 to 2.6 My interpreted from flowstones associated with the same deposit. We show that these previously dated flowstones are stratigraphically intrusive within
    Member 4
    and that they therefore underestimate the true age of the fossils.

"Ecological reconstructions from the Member 4 fauna indicate a climate more humid than today, with mosaic grassland, savanna, and gallery forest, consistent with
    both C3 and C4 diets determined from fossil teeth (49). The Member 5 fauna is associated with a drying climate and far more grazers (49). "

"savanna"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 1 12:27:45 2022
    Op woensdag 29 juni 2022 om 07:30:19 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:

... "savanna" ...

:-DDD
    My little boy, you're the most idiotic of the kudu runners...
    Do you understand the word "flow-stones"??

But the importance of this paper is that africanus did not evolve from afarensis, as anthropocentric PAs (kudu runners) like to believe.
    IOW, Pliocene "gracile" afarensis & africanus (aquarboreal) evolved in // to early-Pleistocene "robust" boisei resp. robustus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Fri Jul 1 13:50:30 2022
    On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 1:30:19 AM UTC-4, Primum Sapienti wrote:
    Cosmogenic nuclide dating of Australopithecus at Sterkfontein, South Africa
    Darryl E Granger cs 2022

https://www.pnas.org/doi/epdf/10.1073/pnas.2123516119

Significance
    Australopithecus fossils from the richest hominin-bearing deposit (Member 4) at Sterkfontein in South Africa are considerably older than previously argued
    by some and are contemporary with Australopithecus afarensis in East Africa. Our dates demonstrate the limitations of the widely accepted concept that Australopithecus africanus, which is well represented at Sterkfontein, descended from A. afarensis. The contemporaneity of the two species now suggests that a more complex family tree prevailed early in the human evolutionary process. The dates highlight the limitations of faunal age estimates
    previously relied upon for the South African sites. They further
    demonstrate the
    importance of detailed stratigraphic analysis in assessments of accurate dating
    of the karst cave sites in South Africa, which are stratigraphically
    highly complex.

Abstract
    Sterkfontein is the most prolific single source of Australopithecus
    fossils, the vast
    majority of which were recovered from Member 4, a cave breccia now exposed by erosion and weathering at the landscape surface. A few other Australopithecus
    fossils, including the StW 573 skeleton, come from subterranean deposits
    [T. C.
    Partridge et al., Science 300, 607–612 (2003); R. J. Clarke, K. Kuman,
    J. Hum. Evol. 134, 102634 (2019)]. Here, we report a cosmogenic nuclide isochron
    burial date of 3.41 ± 0.11 million years (My) within the lower middle part of
    Member 4, and simple burial dates of 3.49 ± 0.19 My in the upper middle part
    of Member 4 and 3.61 ± 0.09 My in Jacovec Cavern. Together with a previously
    published isochron burial date of 3.67 ± 0.16 My for StW 573 [D. E.
    Granger et al.,
    Nature 522, 85–88 (2015)], these results place nearly the entire Australopithecus assemblage at Sterkfontein in the mid-Pliocene, contemporaneous with
    Australopithecus afarensis in East Africa. Our ages for the fossil-bearing breccia in
    Member 4 are considerably older than the previous ages of ca. 2.1 to 2.6 My interpreted from flowstones associated with the same deposit. We show that these previously dated flowstones are stratigraphically intrusive within Member 4
    and that they therefore underestimate the true age of the fossils.

"Ecological reconstructions from the Member 4 fauna indicate a climate more humid than today, with mosaic grassland, savanna, and gallery forest, consistent with
    both C3 and C4 diets determined from fossil teeth (49). The Member 5 fauna is
    associated with a drying climate and far more grazers (49). "

"savanna"
    Forest.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 4 00:00:50 2023
    Op woensdag 29 juni 2022 om 07:30:19 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:

Cosmogenic nuclide dating of Australopithecus at Sterkfontein, South Africa >>> Darryl E Granger cs 2022

... "savanna" ...

:-DDD
    My little boy, you're the most idiotic of the kudu runners...
    Do you understand the word "flow-stones"??

"We show that these previously dated flowstones are
    stratigraphically intrusive within Member 4
    and that they therefore underestimate the true age
    of the fossils. "

"intrusive", child...

But the importance of this paper is that africanus did not evolve from afarensis, as anthropocentric PAs (kudu runners) like to believe.
    IOW, Pliocene "gracile" afarensis & africanus (aquarboreal) evolved in // to early-Pleistocene "robust" boisei resp. robustus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05