• Peter Rhys-Evans "The Waterside Ape"

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 25 13:47:30 2022
    Dear One and All

I am writing to you as someone who was a co-participant at the conference on Human Evolution held in London in 2013, organised by Peter Rhys-Evans, then of the Royal Marsden Hospital.

I am sorry to be the deliverer of terrible news (if you have not already heard) but it would seem (from a recent tweet by the Oracle Cancer Trust that Peter founded and chaired https://twitter.com/Oracle_Cancer/status/1534913047793393664?s=20&t=u8_
    oNYroIdcBkROjbTOfEA ) that Peter recently passed away.

The reason I am writing to you is that there will be a zoom meeting, held in his honour in two weeks, tomorrow (on Sunday July 10th, 8pm West Australian time). We have been running monthly, free, virtual talks on waterside hypotheses of human evolution
    since November last year and Peter was due to give the next one. Rather than cancel, we thought it might be more fitting to hold the meeting in his memory and still cover the subjects he was most passionate about - the paranasal sinuses and ear exostoces.

I am hoping that someone who attended the conference back in 2013 has a copy of the video of his excellent talk on the subject. I have a few of the videos from the symposium, but frustratingly not that one. I plan to show a few other clips of Peter at
    the meeting in any case. I will show the video of the launch of his wonderful book "The Waterside Ape" from 2019 and I have one of him making a few excellent points from just a few months ago at our first meeting towards the end of last year.

Here's a link to his book, if anyone doesn't have it yet... https://www.routledge.com/The-Waterside-Ape-An-Alternative-Account-of-Human-Evolution/Evans/p/book/9780367145484

So, to conclude, I think it would be ideal if we could also watch the talk he gave at the 2013 London conference he organised, as he was perhaps at the peak of his career at the time. Please let me know as soon as possible if you can send me a link to
    the video or know of someone who might have a copy.

In any case, please do feel welcome to attend the meeting live on Sunday, 10th July. If you do attend, please bring any memories of Peter that you'd like to share and any aspects of the paranasal sinuses and ear exostoces you'd like to discuss. I am sure
    Peter would have wanted us to give these subjects our full attention.

The link to the meeting will be posted on our website (below) on the day. If you did not know about our talks, you can watch them at this web site or our associated YouTube channel.

www.whattalks.com

--
    Geriausi linkÄ—jimai / Best regards

Algis Kuliukas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)