• Hominoid & Homo evolution: plate tectonics

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 29 05:20:32 2022
    ape+human evolution:

- 25 Ma India aproached Eurasia = island arc formation, full of coastal forests,
    the first Catarrhini that reached these islands became aquarboreal, cf.+-Nasalis in mangroves: Hominoidea = Latisternalia:
    larger body, tail reduction, broad body & breast-bone, vertical wading-climbing "bipedal", longer arms...
    - 20 Ma India further under Eurasia = hominoid split: lesser apes E, great apes W:
    great apes colonized Tethys-sea (Medit.) coastal forests: W-Asia, Europe, Arabia, N.Africa...
    - 15 Ma Mesopotamian Seaway closure: split pongids E (e.g. Sivapith, Gigantopith...), hominids W (e.g. dryopiths),
    - Red Sea formation, colonized by HPG-LCA (hominids s.s.),
    - 8 Ma begin E.African Rift, colonized by Gorilla (->afarensis->boisei->gorillas), leaving HP in the Red Sea,
    - 5 Ma Zanclean mega-flood re-filled the Med.Sea + opening red Sea into Ind.Ocean:
    Pan went right, initially along E.Afr.coasts (->africanus->robustus->chimps (// gorillas)),
    Homo went left, initially along S.Asian coasts (Java, Flores...) ->H.erectus Ice Ages = frequent shallow-diving for shellfish: fur loss, SC fat, large brain (DHA), POS, stone tools, flat feet etc.etc.
    Mid-Late-Pleistocene H.neand., sapiens...: wading = very long legs, loss of platycephaly, less flaring ilia, etc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sun May 29 05:56:02 2022
    On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 8:20:33 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    ape+human evolution:

- 25 Ma India aproached Eurasia = island arc formation, full of coastal forests,
    the first Catarrhini that reached these islands became aquarboreal, cf.+-Nasalis in mangroves: Hominoidea = Latisternalia:
    larger body, tail reduction, broad body & breast-bone, vertical wading-climbing "bipedal", longer arms...
    - 20 Ma India further under Eurasia = hominoid split: lesser apes E, great apes W:
    great apes colonized Tethys-sea (Medit.) coastal forests: W-Asia, Europe, Arabia, N.Africa...
    - 15 Ma Mesopotamian Seaway closure: split pongids E (e.g. Sivapith, Gigantopith...), hominids W (e.g. dryopiths),
    - 8 Ma begin E.African Rift, colonized by Gorilla (->afarensis->boisei->gorillas), leaving HP in the Red Sea,
    - 5 Ma Zanclean mega-flood re-filled the Med.Sea + opening red Sea into Ind.Ocean:
    Pan went right, initially along E.Afr.coasts (->africanus->robustus->chimps (// gorillas)),
    Homo went left, initially along S.Asian coasts (Java, Flores...) ->H.erectus Ice Ages = frequent shallow-diving for shellfish: fur loss, SC fat, large brain (DHA), POS, stone tools, flat feet etc.etc.
    Mid-Late-Pleistocene H.neand., sapiens...: wading = very long legs, loss of platycephaly, less flaring ilia, etc.

Wading => diving => wading
    Heron => penguin => heron.
    ???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sun May 29 12:32:09 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

ape+human evolution:

the first Catarrhini that reached these islands became aquarboreal

A classic a-priori assumption.

Not that we don't already know that Wiki sucks eggs but, read the article on "Catarrhini."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catarrhini

It places the rise of "New Wold Monkeys" about 6 million years before apes, even
    though New World Monkeys currently date prior to Old World Monkeys....

Whatever the reality -- and you're NEVER going to read it on Wiki -- they didn't
    flow between Africa, Eurasia and the Americas on airliners. There were either land bridges or the grand daddy of all "Aquatic" primates was around some
    tens of millions of years ago.

Homo went left, initially along S.Asian coasts (Java, Flores...) ->H.erectus Ice Ages = frequent shallow-diving for shellfish: fur loss, SC fat, large brain (DHA),
    POS, stone tools, flat feet etc.etc.

"Out of Asia."

Quite frankly, the only reason why everyone isn't talking about Out of Asia is because
    of two massive natural cullings that used Sandaland or vicinity as Ground-Zero.

The first was one or more meteorite impacts about 800,000 years ago.

Nasty business, meteorites. They not only strike with insane amounts of energy but
    all that energy is released pretty much instantly, while Super Volcanic eruptions
    probably takes weeks if not longer.

The second earth-changing event to hit that Asian population in the small of the
    back was Toba. If Yellowstone explodes tomorrow -- and it's active right now -- it'll release a force equal to about 50 Krakatoa eruptions. When Toba erupted over
    70k years ago, right there in Sundaland, it released the energy of about 125 Krakatoa
    eruptions.

Bad. Scene.

If I said it took a thousand years for the northern hemisphere to fully recover it would
    mean I was speaking conservatively...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/685608769984544768

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Mon May 30 01:37:43 2022
    On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 3:32:10 PM UTC-4, I Envy JTEM wrote:

ape+human evolution:

Not that we don't already know that Wiki sucks eggs but, read the article on "Catarrhini."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catarrhini

It places the rise of "New Wold Monkeys" about 6 million years before apes, even
    though New World Monkeys currently date prior to Old World Monkeys....

Whatever the reality -- and you're NEVER going to read it on Wiki -- they didn't
    flow between Africa, Eurasia and the Americas on airliners. There were either land bridges or the grand daddy of all "Aquatic" primates was around some tens of millions of years ago.
    Homo went left, initially along S.Asian coasts (Java, Flores...) ->H.erectus Ice Ages = frequent shallow-diving for shellfish: fur loss, SC fat, large brain (DHA),
    "Out of Asia."

Quite frankly, the only reason why everyone isn't talking about Out of Asia is because

The first was one or more meteorite impacts about 800,000 years ago.

Nasty business, meteorites. They not only strike with insane amounts of energy but
    all that energy is released pretty much instantly, while Super Volcanic eruptions

The second earth-changing event to hit that Asian population in the small of the
    back was Toba. If Yellowstone explodes tomorrow -- and it's active right now --
    it'll release a force equal to about 50 Krakatoa eruptions. When Toba erupted over
    70k years ago, right there in Sundaland, it released the energy of about 125 Krakatoa
    eruptions.

Bad. Scene.

If I said it took a thousand years for the northern hemisphere to fully recover it would

-- --

Paranoia will destroy ya.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 30 03:45:51 2022
    Op zondag 29 mei 2022 om 21:32:10 UTC+2 schreef I Envy JTEM:

ape+human evolution:

??

Not that we don't already know that Wiki sucks eggs but, read the article on "Catarrhini." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catarrhini
    though New World Monkeys currently date prior to Old World Monkeys.... Whatever the reality -- and you're NEVER going to read it on Wiki -- they didn't
    flow between Africa, Eurasia and the Americas on airliners. There were either land bridges or the grand daddy of all "Aquatic" primates was around some tens of millions of years ago.

Platyrrhini have nothing to do with my scenario:
    -Mio-Pliocene Hominoidea = aquarboreal: Tethys-ocean coastal forests, -early-Pleistocene H.erectus = littoral: Ind.Ocean coasts.

"Out of Asia."

Not really, rather "out of Ind.Ocean coasts":
    - early-Pleist.Homo: Indonesia no doubt, probably also E.Africa & everything between?
    - mid-Pleist.H.neand.: Med.Sea->W-Eur.->Rhine, Meuse...
    Google
    "Homo coastal dispersal Verhaegen".

_____

The 1st was one or more meteorite impacts about 800,000 years ago.
    The 2nd earth-changing event to hit that Asian population in the small of the back was Toba. If Yellowstone explodes tomorrow -- and it's active right now --
    it'll release a force equal to about 50 Krakatoa eruptions. When Toba erupted over
    70 ka, right there in Sundaland, it released the energy of about 125 Krakatoa eruptions.
    Bad. Scene.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 30 03:30:47 2022
    Op zondag 29 mei 2022 om 14:56:03 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

ape+human evolution:

Wading => diving => wading

1) Why not?
    2) That's not what I said:
    arboreal->aquarboreal->littoral->wading->walking

Heron => penguin => heron.

???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Mon May 30 14:44:30 2022

But they do. They really do. And that's what I'm trying to get you to see:

Monkeys appear on both sides of a very great ocean. And they never crossed
    that ocean on commercial airliners. So there was either a land bridge that nobody has been able to identify/confirm or there were already "Aquatic" primates 25 million years ago AT THE VERY LEAST, and at least 35 million
    years OR LONGER if you're going to posit an African origin of Monkeys.

So the Aquatic Ape hypothesis is actually far superior than savanna nonsense for another reason. And that is the savanna idiots pretend that one toe touched a savanna and their bodies, brains & culture were transformed. Aquatic Ape, on the other hand, is dependent open a very long process where populations took
    to the coastal environment many times, becoming a little bit better adapted to the environment/lifestyles across eons, across species and even from one
    genus to the next, finally execrating 3 or 4 million years ago leading to it's peak
    with erectus.

....the final destinations, so to speak.

But this is part of your puzzle. Whether old world monkeys arose first of the fact that our oldest monkeys are New World is indicative to their primacy,
    they had to get across the ocean. They had to island jump or live on water's edge and be dragged out to sea by the tide or a wave....

Aquatic Ape has some mighty deep roots.

-- --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 30 14:26:24 2022
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Thankfully, with your total lack of reading comprehension, you never
    have to find out.

-- --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Mon May 30 19:18:17 2022
    On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 5:44:31 PM UTC-4, I Envy JTEM wrote:

But they do. They really do.

:D

And that's what I'm trying to get you to see:

Monkeys appear on both sides of a very great ocean. And they never crossed that ocean on commercial airliners. So there was either a land bridge that nobody has been able to identify/confirm or there were already "Aquatic" primates 25 million years ago AT THE VERY LEAST, and at least 35 million years OR LONGER if you're going to posit an African origin of Monkeys.

So the Aquatic Ape hypothesis is actually far superior than savanna nonsense for another reason. And that is the savanna idiots pretend that one toe touched
    a savanna and their bodies, brains & culture were transformed. Aquatic Ape, on
    the other hand, is dependent open a very long process where populations took to the coastal environment many times, becoming a little bit better adapted to
    the environment/lifestyles across eons, across species and even from one genus to the next, finally execrating 3 or 4 million years ago leading to it's peak
    with erectus.

But this is part of your puzzle. Whether old world monkeys arose first of the fact that our oldest monkeys are New World is indicative to their primacy, they had to get across the ocean. They had to island jump or live on water's edge and be dragged out to sea by the tide or a wave....

-- --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 1 12:45:00 2022
    Op maandag 30 mei 2022 om 23:44:31 UTC+2 schreef I Envy JTEM:

But they do. They really do. And that's what I'm trying to get you to see:

I have no know what happened before the cercopith/hominoid split (c 25 Ma),
    but aquarboreal adpatations appear with Hominoidea = Latisternalia:
    -larger size
    -more vertical (less lumbar vertebrae)
    -very long arms
    -broad sternum & thorax (+ lateral arm movements)
    -broad pelvis, flaring ilia, long femoral necks (+ lateral leg movements)
    -tail loss (coccyx incorporated into pelvic bottom).
    Google "aquarboreal".

Monkeys appear on both sides of a very great ocean. And they never crossed that ocean on commercial airliners. So there was either a land bridge that nobody has been able to identify/confirm or there were already "Aquatic" primates 25 million years ago AT THE VERY LEAST, and at least 35 million years OR LONGER if you're going to posit an African origin of Monkeys.
    So the Aquatic Ape hypothesis is actually far superior than savanna nonsense for another reason. And that is the savanna idiots pretend that one toe touched
    a savanna and their bodies, brains & culture were transformed. Aquatic Ape, on
    the other hand, is dependent open a very long process where populations took to the coastal environment many times, becoming a little bit better adapted to
    the environment/lifestyles across eons, across species and even from one genus to the next, finally execrating 3 or 4 million years ago leading to it's peak
    with erectus.
    But this is part of your puzzle. Whether old world monkeys arose first of the fact that our oldest monkeys are New World is indicative to their primacy, they had to get across the ocean. They had to island jump or live on water's edge and be dragged out to sea by the tide or a wave....

I have no idea where Anthropoidea lived before,
    but from c 25 Ma it's becoming clearer IMO:
    Plate tectonics
    -Miocene India approached Eurasia = island arc formation = plenty of mangrove forests:
    the Catarrhini that first reached these islands naturally became aquarboreal, -India fully under Eurasia: split Hominoidea in a W & an E branch (= later great & lesser=hylobatid apes)
    -great apes colonized the Tethys Sea (later = Med.Sea): vertical, bipedal (Trachilos footprints),
    -15 Ma Mesopotamian Seaway closure split hominids (W) & pongids (E):
    pongids colonized S-Asias coastal forests, forced hylobatids higher into the trees,
    -Med dried out largely (10-5 Ma?): most Med.hominoids died out,
    -some hominids colonized the incipient Red Sea = later became ancestors of Pan-Homo-Gorilla,
    -8 Ma incipient E.Afr.Rift = G/HP split: Gorilla followed the Rift: afarensis (Lucy), boisei etc.
    Detailed comparisons (see my Hum.Evol.papers & our forthcoming article in eLife) show that
    -- E.Afr.apiths are anatomically more like Gorilla than like Pan,
    -- S.Afr.apiths are anatomically more like Pan than like Gorilla
    (apith humanlike features are no human ("bipedal") innovations, but aquarboreal rudiments).
    -5.3 Ma the Zanclean Mega-flood refilled the Med.Sea + probably opened the Red Sea into the Ind.Ocean:
    ---Homo followed the S-Asian coastal forests (later forced pongids higher into the trees?
    or v.v.: pongids forced Homo deeper into the water??)
    ---Pan followed the E.African coastal forests + rivers inland:
    S.Afr.apiths africanus->robustus (// E.Afr.apiths afarensis->boisei):
    from late-Pliocene "gracile" (africanus//afarensis) to early-Pleist."robust" (robustus//boisei):
    why?? drier? colder? less forests? ...?

IOW, bipedality is much much older than usu.believed: >20 Ma rather than >2 Ma. Some Mio-Pliocene hominoids (aquarboreal) probably spent a lot of time wading bipedally,
    see e.g. the Trachilos footprints on Crete.

Both Old & New World monkeys are monkeys = arboreal:
    without the aquarboreal hominoid innovations, see above.
    AFAWK, shallow-diving adaptations in Primates are only seen in Homo, <2 Ma.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 1 21:17:48 2022

It's plausible, one might argue likely, that the littoral monkey is what
    caused the monkey/ape split in the first place.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/685917194592436224

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 2 16:00:07 2022
    Op donderdag 2 juni 2022 om 06:17:49 UTC+2 schreef I Envy JTEM:

It's plausible, one might argue likely, that the littoral monkey is what caused the monkey/ape split in the first place.

Yes, the coastal forest (mangrove? 25 Ma) not unlikely caused the typically ape features: vertical spine + less lumbar & less coccygal vertebrae, broad sternum (Latisternalia) & thorax, broad pelvis + flaring ilia, very long arms, wading upright &
    climbing arms overhead in forest swamps, cf. some parallels in Nasalis (mangrove monkey): rel.large for a monkey, with very short tail & big nose, often bipedally wading + climbing arms overhead, sometimes swimming at the surface (no diving AFAIK).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 3 03:17:10 2022
    Op vrijdag 3 juni 2022 om 01:00:09 UTC+2 schreef littor...@gmail.com:

It's plausible, one might argue likely, that the littoral monkey is what caused the monkey/ape split in the first place.

Yes, the coastal forest (mangrove? 25 Ma) not unlikely caused the typically ape features: vertical spine + less lumbar & less coccygal vertebrae, broad sternum (Latisternalia) & thorax, broad pelvis + flaring ilia, very long arms, wading upright &
    climbing arms overhead in forest swamps, cf. some parallels in Nasalis (mangrove monkey): rel.large for a monkey, with very short tail & big nose, often bipedally wading + climbing arms overhead, sometimes swimming at the surface (no diving AFAIK).

What caused the difference between broad & small noses?
    What was more primitive: the platy- or the catarrhine condition??
    Has it indeed (as you think?) something to do with swimming??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 3 15:57:59 2022
    On Friday, June 3, 2022 at 6:17:11 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op vrijdag 3 juni 2022 om 01:00:09 UTC+2 schreef littor...@gmail.com:

What caused the difference between broad & small noses?
    What was more primitive: the platy- or the catarrhine condition??
    Has it indeed (as you think?) something to do with swimming??
    Monkeys are from america (maga).
    Apes are from the ocean.
    Everone knows that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 7 11:33:42 2022
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Monkeys are from america

Primates, you cud chewing idiot:

https://www.washington.edu/news/2021/02/24/earliest-primate-fossils/

So the oldest monkey fossils are found in the Americas, the exact same
    place that the oldest primate fossil was found...

Apes are from the ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_gigantism

It's often been argued that insular gigantism precedes insular dwarfism.
    That, cut off from natural predators, the species effectively competes
    against itself. The theory goes that eventually the limited resources of
    the island get scarce so "Big" suddenly becomes a detriment and that's
    when insular dwarfism kicks in. But in the island scenario, instead of
    starving out the bigger size they instead ADAPT. They find a new food:

Seafood.

So, instantly, a scarcity becomes an abundance...

Everone knows that.

Every day, without exception, people with a very bad case of dandruff
    brush more intelligence off their shoulders than you are capable of
    exhibiting here.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/686422959109341184

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 9 12:07:00 2022
    Op dinsdag 7 juni 2022 om 20:33:43 UTC+2 schreef I Envy JTEM:

https://www.washington.edu/news/2021/02/24/earliest-primate-fossils/
    So the oldest monkey fossils are found in the Americas, the exact same
    place that the oldest primate fossil was found...

Thanks for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_gigantism
    It's often been argued that insular gigantism precedes insular dwarfism.

Interesting.
    It's like:
    Marine pachyosteosclerosis precedes marine osteoporosis.
    All tetrapods that adapt to the sea initially evolve very heavy skeletons (slow+shallow diving),
    but later most of them (e.g. most Pinnipedia & Cetacea) evolve very light skeletons for fast swimming.

That, cut off from natural predators, the species effectively competes against itself. The theory goes that eventually the limited resources of
    the island get scarce so "Big" suddenly becomes a detriment and that's
    when insular dwarfism kicks in. But in the island scenario, instead of starving out the bigger size they instead ADAPT. They find a new food: Seafood.
    So, instantly, a scarcity becomes an abundance...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05