• Cold-adapted Hs in Euro, N Am

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 15:44:58 2021
    humans in North America during the Last Glacial Maximum
    Matthew R Bennett cs 2021 Science 373:1528-1531
    doi 10.1126/science.abg7586

Archaeologists & researchers in allied fields have long sought to understand human colonization of N.America:
    -when & how did people migrate?
    -where did they originate?
    -how did their arrival affect the established fauna & landscape?

Here we present evidence from excavated surfaces in White Sands Nat.Park (US) where multiple in situ human footprints are stratigraphically constrained & bracketed by seed layers that yield calibrated radio-C ages between ~23 & 21 ka. This
    -confirms humans in N.America during the LGMaximum

-

Hs Euro in subarctic

https://scitechdaily-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/scitechdaily.com/archaeological-evidence-shows-early-homo-sapiens-in-europe-faced-subarctic-climates/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16324367359011&referrer=https%3A%2F%
    2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscitechdaily.com%2Farchaeological-evidence-shows-early-homo-sapiens-in-europe-faced-subarctic-cli7mates%2F

[Clue: shelters, not beaches, not in water]

-

Euro minority language atlas
    https://atlas.limsi.fr/?tab=EU

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 20:05:29 2021
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Hs Euro in subarctic

https://scitechdaily-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/scitechdaily.com/archaeological-evidence-shows-early-homo-sapiens-in-europe-faced-subarctic-climates/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16324367359011&referrer=https%3A%2F%
    2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscitechdaily.com%2Farchaeological-evidence-shows-early-homo-sapiens-in-europe-faced-subarctic-cli7mates%2F

What are the dates?

I'm ignoring your inability to grasp Aquatic Ape. There's no point in trying. Not with you. So,
    what are the dates for your subarctic humans?

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/663167274266525696

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Thu Sep 23 21:48:47 2021
    I Envy JTEM wrote:

Hs Euro in subarctic

What are the dates?

I'm ignoring your inability to grasp Aquatic Ape. There's no point in trying. Not with you. So,
    what are the dates for your subarctic humans?

It's in the link.

Cleaned up URL

https://scitechdaily.com/archaeological-evidence-shows-early-homo-sapiens-in-europe-faced-subarctic-climates/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 22:01:38 2021

Archaeologists & researchers in allied fields have long sought to understand human colonization of N.America:

Here we present evidence from excavated surfaces in White Sands Nat.Park (US) where multiple in situ human footprints are stratigraphically constrained & bracketed by seed layers that yield calibrated radio-C ages between ~23 & 21 ka. This

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abg7586
    Evidence of humans in North America during the Last Glacial Maximum

"Ichnofossils of extinct late Pleistocene fauna occur widely on the margins
    of the playa and include tracks of Proboscidea (mammoth), Folivora (ground sloth), Carnivora (canid and felid), and Cetartiodactyla (bovid and camelid), most of which are associated with human footprints (16–18)."

"Footprints (human, proboscidean, and canid) occur at all levels..."

"Many tracks appear to be those of teenagers and children; large adult footprints are less frequent. One hypothesis for this is the division of
    labor, in which adults are involved in skilled tasks whereas “fetching and carrying” are delegated to teenagers. Children accompany the teenagers,
    and collectively they leave a higher number of footprints that are preferentially recorded in the fossil record. This pattern is common to all excavated surfaces."

"Our data and modeling results show that the ages of TH2 through TH6
    span from ~23 to 21 ka (Fig. 3 and fig. S16), placing humans in
    southwestern North America for approximately two millennia during the
    LGM. The presence of proboscidean tracks in TH8 places an additional
    constraint on the upper age of the sequence, showing that it does not
    extend beyond the late Pleistocene."

"The evidence presented here confirms that humans were present in North
    America before the glacial advances of the LGM closed the Ice-Free Corridor
    and the Pacific Coastal Route and prevented human migration from Asia. The overlap of humans and megafauna for at least two millennia during this time suggests that if people were hunting megafauna the practices were
    sustainable,
    at least initially. "

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Thu Sep 23 23:49:26 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 12:01:37 AM UTC-4, Primum Sapienti wrote:

"Ichnofossils of extinct late Pleistocene fauna occur widely on the margins of the playa and include tracks of Proboscidea (mammoth), Folivora (ground sloth), Carnivora (canid and felid), and Cetartiodactyla (bovid and camelid),
    most of which are associated with human footprints (16–18)."

"Many tracks appear to be those of teenagers and children; large adult footprints are less frequent. One hypothesis for this is the division of labor, in which adults are involved in skilled tasks whereas “fetching and carrying” are delegated to teenagers. Children accompany the teenagers, and collectively they leave a higher number of footprints that are preferentially recorded in the fossil record. This pattern is common to all excavated surfaces."

span from ~23 to 21 ka (Fig. 3 and fig. S16), placing humans in
    southwestern North America for approximately two millennia during the
    LGM. The presence of proboscidean tracks in TH8 places an additional constraint on the upper age of the sequence, showing that it does not
    extend beyond the late Pleistocene."

"The evidence presented here confirms that humans were present in North America before the glacial advances of the LGM closed the Ice-Free Corridor and the Pacific Coastal Route and prevented human migration from Asia. The overlap of humans and megafauna for at least two millennia during this time suggests that if people were hunting megafauna the practices were sustainable,
    at least initially. "

Thanks PS, I missed the manx cat ref.
    'Teens fetching & carrying' is I think a Hs habit, He didn't have the extremely extended childhood/teen late puberty imo, didn't have Hs secondary growth spurt. Claims that Turkana Boy would have continued to grow taller if he'd lived are premature,
    more likely he was nearly at max height. Pygmies have no pubertal growth spurt, I think that was the archaic norm, with a longer primary growth spurt than typical Hs. The transition from He to Hs may have aligned with the transition from portable
    domeshields w/o domestic fire to dome huts with hearths, allowing extended childhoods of many non-reproductive smartening small-framed bodies sheltered Hs vs He's one-child-per-adult-per-domeshield where the father and mother slept under adjacent roofs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 01:10:44 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 2:49:27 AM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

"Ichnofossils of extinct late Pleistocene fauna occur widely on the margins
    of the playa and include tracks of Proboscidea (mammoth), Folivora (ground sloth), Carnivora (canid and felid), and Cetartiodactyla (bovid and camelid),
    most of which are associated with human footprints (16–18)."

"Many tracks appear to be those of teenagers and children; large adult footprints are less frequent. One hypothesis for this is the division of labor, in which adults are involved in skilled tasks whereas “fetching and
    carrying” are delegated to teenagers. Children accompany the teenagers, and collectively they leave a higher number of footprints that are preferentially recorded in the fossil record. This pattern is common to all
    excavated surfaces."

span from ~23 to 21 ka (Fig. 3 and fig. S16), placing humans in southwestern North America for approximately two millennia during the
    LGM. The presence of proboscidean tracks in TH8 places an additional constraint on the upper age of the sequence, showing that it does not extend beyond the late Pleistocene."

"The evidence presented here confirms that humans were present in North America before the glacial advances of the LGM closed the Ice-Free Corridor
    and the Pacific Coastal Route and prevented human migration from Asia. The overlap of humans and megafauna for at least two millennia during this time
    suggests that if people were hunting megafauna the practices were sustainable,
    at least initially. "
    Thanks PS, I missed the manx cat ref.
    'Teens fetching & carrying' is I think a Hs habit, He didn't have the extremely extended childhood/teen late puberty imo, didn't have Hs secondary growth spurt. Claims that Turkana Boy would have continued to grow taller if he'd lived are premature,
    more likely he was nearly at max height. Pygmies have no pubertal growth spurt, I think that was the archaic norm, with a longer primary growth spurt than typical Hs. The transition from He to Hs may have aligned with the transition from portable
    domeshields w/o domestic fire to dome huts with hearths, allowing extended childhoods of many non-reproductive smartening small-framed bodies sheltered Hs vs He's one-child-per-adult-per-domeshield where the father and mother slept under adjacent roofs.

Note: no dog tracks. Beringians had domestic dogs, Andamaners didn't.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Crowley@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 24 04:56:12 2021
    On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 11:44:59 PM UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Here we present evidence from excavated surfaces in White Sands Nat.Park (US) where multiple in situ human footprints are stratigraphically constrained & bracketed by seed layers that yield calibrated radio-C ages between ~23 & 21 ka.
    This confirms humans in N.America during the LGMaximum

White Sands Nat Park is at 32 degrees latitude -- the same
    as San Diego, or the Mexican border south of Los Angeles.
    It was 1,000 miles from any ice during the LGM (Last
    Glacial Maximum). Being 'cold-adapted' was hardly
    necessary.

Hs Euro in subarctic

Similarly the site in Bulgaria is less than 200 km from
    the modern Black Sea. It was probably only occupied
    by Hs during summer hunting expeditions. They say
    the climate was like that of Russia or Scandinavia.
    Both are warm (if often too hot) in the summer.

Very misleading title for this thread.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Paul Crowley on Fri Sep 24 14:00:47 2021
    On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 7:56:13 AM UTC-4, Paul Crowley wrote:
    On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 11:44:59 PM UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Here we present evidence from excavated surfaces in White Sands Nat.Park (US)
    where multiple in situ human footprints are stratigraphically constrained &
    bracketed by seed layers that yield calibrated radio-C ages between ~23 & 21 ka.

@££ Glacial Maximum). Being 'cold-adapted' was hardly
    necessary.

Hs Euro in subarctic

How did they get to White Sands (which has cold winter nights)? Canoe along the tropic of cancer wearing bikinis?
    Subarctic can have warm summers but year-round ave. temps aren't warm.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 3 22:32:35 2021

more likely he was nearly at

Quite so, at or near max height, a result or reaching maturation
    faster/earlier than humans.

max height. Pygmies have no pubertal growth spurt, I think that was the
    archaic norm, with a longer primary growth spurt than typical Hs. The transition from He to Hs may have aligned with the transition from
    portable domeshields w/o domestic fire to dome huts with hearths, allowing extended childhoods of many non-reproductive smartening small-framed
    bodies sheltered Hs vs He's one-child-per-adult-per-domeshield where the
    father and mother slept under adjacent roofs.

Lithic materials were carried for tens of kilometers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Crowley@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 4 15:04:06 2021
    On Friday 24 September 2021 at 22:00:49 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

bracketed by seed layers that yield calibrated radio-C ages between ~23 & 21 ka.

necessary.

Hs Euro in subarctic

How did they get to White Sands (which has cold winter nights)?

A party of adults (and maybe some sub-adults)
    migrated there in the summer. They were
    probably more-or-less lost. But this group
    found a site with with food and shelter, where
    they could raise children. They would have
    had fire, cooking, clothing and good tool- and
    weapon-making capacity. Certainly no need
    for any special "cold adaptations'.

White Sands was never 'subarctic'.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Paul Crowley on Mon Oct 4 16:56:05 2021
    On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 6:04:07 PM UTC-4, Paul Crowley wrote:
    On Friday 24 September 2021 at 22:00:49 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

necessary.

Hs Euro in subarctic

How did they get to White Sands (which has cold winter nights)?

So how did they get from the old world to white sands?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Crowley@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 5 07:27:03 2021
    On Tuesday 5 October 2021 at 00:56:06 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

My point was to criticise the 'archaeology' of
    the original article, which was based on the
    latitude of White Sands and of the site 200 km
    west of the Black Sea. Neither required 'cold-
    adaptations'/

Maybe you could argue that the ancestors of
    Native Americans were cold-adapted, as a
    consequence of having to get there by walking
    through arctic and subarctic conditions (over
    many generations). But that's a different
    argument. In any case, I'd say that those first
    migrants used boats, and were at sea-level in all
    their settlements, and were not particularly '
    cold-adapted'.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Paul Crowley on Tue Oct 5 15:42:37 2021
    On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 10:27:04 AM UTC-4, Paul Crowley wrote:
    On Tuesday 5 October 2021 at 00:56:06 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

My point was to criticise the 'archaeology' of
    the original article, which was based on the
    latitude of White Sands and of the site 200 km
    west of the Black Sea. Neither required 'cold-
    adaptations'/

Maybe you could argue that the ancestors of
    Native Americans were cold-adapted, as a
    consequence of having to get there by walking
    through arctic and subarctic conditions (over
    many generations). But that's a different
    argument. In any case, I'd say that those first
    migrants used boats, and were at sea-level in all
    their settlements, and were not particularly '
    cold-adapted'.

Elevation some millions of years was sea level, but today 4,300', quite a climb from today's sea level.. The white sand is actually gypsum, which does not absorb sunshine, walking the dunes is cool even during midday. You think they had watercraft that
    could handle Pacific storms?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Crowley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 7 15:15:59 2021
    On Tuesday 5 October 2021 at 23:42:38 UTC+1, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

You think they had watercraft that could handle Pacific storms?

They'd have hugged the coast, probably taking
    many generations to move the 5,000 km south,
    going to land any time storms seemed likely.

The major problem would be getting past the
    ice-fields of the Bering Straits. Done first by
    exploratory missions of fit young men in the
    summer, before families moved across with
    tents etc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05