• Morocco: 90 to 120 kya bone tools used for leather and fur and other th

From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 19 23:19:17 2021
    https://www.cell.com/iscience/fulltext/S2589-0042(21)00956-1

Highlights
    - Bone tools from Contrebandiers Cave, Morocco, dated to 120,000 to 90,000 years ago
    - Bone tools likely used for leather and fur working, and other activities
    - Carnivore bones from cave show they were skinned for fur removal

Summary
    The emergence of Homo sapiens in Pleistocene Africa is associated with a profound reconfiguration of technology. Symbolic expression and personal ornamentation, new tool forms, and regional technological traditions are
    widely recognized as the earliest indicators of complex culture and cognition in humans. Here we describe a bone tool tradition from Contrebandiers Cave
    on the Atlantic coast of Morocco, dated between 120,000–90,000 years ago.
    The bone tools were produced for different activities, including likely
    leather
    and fur working, and were found in association with carnivore remains that
    were possibly skinned for fur. A cetacean tooth tip bears what is likely a combination of anthropogenic and non-anthropogenic modification and shows
    the use of a marine mammal tooth by early humans. The evidence from Contrebandiers Cave demonstrates that the pan-African emergence of complex culture included the use of multiple and diverse materials for specialized
    tool
    manufacture.

"Genetic studies of clothing lice suggest an origin for clothing as early
    as 170 ka
    ago with H. sapiens in Africa (Toups et al., 2011). In this article, we
    present
    evidence for fur removal found on carnivore bones dated to as early as 120 ka ago at Contrebandiers Cave in Morocco. The combination of carnivore bones
    with skinning marks and bone tools likely used for fur processing provide highly
    suggestive proxy evidence for the earliest clothing in the archaeological record."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 20 05:14:57 2021

... "A cetacean tooth tip ... shows the use of a marine mammal tooth by early humans."

Archaic Homo (erectus-neanderth.) dived for aquatic foods (ear exostoses, pachyosteosclerosis POS etc.), probably mostly shellfish (stone tools, seafood=brainfood etc.),
    120-90 ka (MSA), H.sapiens (no POS any more) still still lived along coasts-rivers & used marine resources.
    Google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene HOMO PPT".

Only complete idiots believe their ancestors ran after kudus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Wed Sep 22 13:02:59 2021
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

Highlights
    - Bone tools from Contrebandiers Cave, Morocco, dated to 120,000 to 90,000 years ago
    - Bone tools likely used for leather and fur working, and other activities
    - Carnivore bones from cave show they were skinned for fur removal

It's disarticulated. Meaning, they're claiming tools for a specific process when
    that process would require a great deal more, some of it unlikely to ever be located in a cave dwelling.

I agree that it's likely that the processing of animal skins occurred fairly early,
    but there's some basic technology they needed to invent first. And, it's not a process that would likely be undertaken within a confined living space.

Like, don't you need some type of container for liquid?

One method I speculated on would be to dig a hole near a water source, like
    a river or lake. The water table would obviously be quite low and it would fill up. So right there you have a "Container" of sorts for holding water. But if you
    try the same thing elsewhere not only won't there be any water but, if you filled it with water -- or pee -- it would just drain into the soil.

Another method might be to dig out a log or segment there of, creating a
    type of "Bowl." This is the same technology, so to speak, necessary for a dugout canoe and one would certainly follow the other. But, when? Far
    enough back for this and perhaps older tanning?

Type-B of the above would be the same thing carved in stone.

A final method might be a skull, but it would have to be pretty large. Maybe
    a giant Cave Bear or Mammoth? I mean, you're not going to fit a very large animal skin or segment of a skin inside of a squirrel skull.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/662969646320877568

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Wed Sep 22 20:55:41 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 4:03:00 PM UTC-4, I Envy JTEM wrote:
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

Highlights
    - Bone tools likely used for leather and fur working, and other activities - Carnivore bones from cave show they were skinned for fur removal
    It's disarticulated. Meaning, they're claiming tools for a specific process when
    that process would require a great deal more, some of it unlikely to ever be located in a cave dwelling.

I agree that it's likely that the processing of animal skins occurred fairly early,
    but there's some basic technology they needed to invent first. And, it's not a
    process that would likely be undertaken within a confined living space.

Like, don't you need some type of container for liquid?

One method I speculated on would be to dig a hole near a water source, like
    a river or lake. The water table would obviously be quite low and it would fill
    up. So right there you have a "Container" of sorts for holding water. But if you
    try the same thing elsewhere not only won't there be any water but, if you filled it with water -- or pee -- it would just drain into the soil.

Another method might be to dig out a log or segment there of, creating a
    type of "Bowl." This is the same technology, so to speak, necessary for a dugout canoe and one would certainly follow the other. But, when? Far
    enough back for this and perhaps older tanning?

Type-B of the above would be the same thing carved in stone.

A final method might be a skull, but it would have to be pretty large. Maybe a giant Cave Bear or Mammoth? I mean, you're not going to fit a very large animal skin or segment of a skin inside of a squirrel skull.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/662969646320877568
    Ostrich eggshells.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 23 05:36:24 2021
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Ostrich eggshells.

Of course! The famous Moroccan Cave Ostrich. While climbing mountains
    in search of Trout they often ran across caves inhabited by these Ostriches. Armed with Domeshields though, they were able to defeat the giant birds
    and capture their eggs, in addition to securing free access to the Trout.

...and that's how they reached Australia.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/663082810363494400

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 23 22:31:40 2021
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

... "A cetacean tooth tip ... shows the use of a marine mammal tooth by early humans."

ONE tooth... :-DDDD

"Carnivore bones from cave show they were skinned for fur removal"

Archaic Homo (erectus-neanderth.) dived for aquatic foods (ear exostoses, pachyosteosclerosis POS etc.), probably mostly shellfish (stone tools, seafood=brainfood etc.),
    120-90 ka (MSA), H.sapiens (no POS any more) still still lived along coasts-rivers & used marine resources.

Only total idiots believe in snorkel noses.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 22 22:26:27 2021
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

Only complete idiots believe in snorkel noses.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05