• What caused/allowed the transition from archaic to modern Homo?

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 5 06:42:17 2022
    Numerous independent indications (dental microwear, POS, brain size, worldwide dispersal incl.islands, shell engravings, stone tools etc.etc.) show that erectus (& still neandertals partly) had a lot of shellfish in their diet. But how could archaic
    Homo evolve into sapiens? fire? certain tools? weapons? nets? clothes? huts? language? ...? combination of some of these?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sat Mar 5 07:49:30 2022
    On Saturday, March 5, 2022 at 9:42:18 AM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Numerous independent indications (dental microwear, POS, brain size, worldwide dispersal incl.islands, shell engravings, stone tools etc.etc.) show that erectus (& still neandertals partly) had a lot of shellfish in their diet. But how could archaic
    Homo evolve into sapiens? fire? certain tools? weapons? nets? clothes? huts? language? ...? combination of some of these?

Meine kleine tochter, du weißt es nicht.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sat Mar 5 12:09:52 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

Numerous independent indications (dental microwear, POS, brain size, worldwide dispersal incl.islands,
    shell engravings, stone tools etc.etc.) show that erectus (& still neandertals partly) had a lot of shellfish
    in their diet. But how could archaic Homo evolve into sapiens? fire? certain tools? weapons? nets?
    clothes? huts? language? ...? combination of some of these?

To me it seems clear: Interbreeding!

It's not that so called "Moderns" were genetically superior. We have smaller brains, after all. We look around and think that what we see is somehow "Right," like it's supposed to be this way, and because it happened later than what we call archaics it must be "More highly evolved." But it's just an amalgam, really.

Oh, sure, so populations had larger brains and were smarter. Some were
    better looking. Some were taller some were smaller... I sometimes imagine
    that humans on a whole are probably not at big brained & intelligent as we would have been if there was more cannibalism and less interbreeding...

There's no questions that we DO have a lot of different populations. "Moderns" are simply the result of genes being exchanged enough over times -- the toss
    of the genetic salad.

Certain events helped it alone. Toba, for example, favored certain populations over others...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/677828482371403776

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05