• endurance running nonsense

From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 26 16:05:02 2022
    I just read:

Pickering & Bunn [2007] criticized the meagre evidence of Liebenberg [2006]: “Over the course of 20 years, only 2 of the ER* hunts observed by Liebenberg were spontaneous. 8 others were prompted by Liebenberg, so that they could be filmed for TV
    documentaries. ... they were undertaken by the same 4 individual hunters. Only 3 of the 8 prompted ER hunts were successful, even though those hunts were commenced from a vehicle, and hunters refilled their water bottles during hunting.”

:-DDD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sat Feb 26 16:48:34 2022
    On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 7:05:03 PM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    I just read:

Pickering & Bunn [2007] criticized the meagre evidence of Liebenberg [2006]: “Over the course of 20 years, only 2 of the ER* hunts observed by Liebenberg were spontaneous. 8 others were prompted by Liebenberg, so that they could be filmed for TV
    documentaries. ... they were undertaken by the same 4 individual hunters. Only 3 of the 8 prompted ER hunts were successful, even though those hunts were commenced from a vehicle, and hunters refilled their water bottles during hunting.”

:-DDD

The endurance running scenario is based on a coming-of-age ritual where the young men chase a group of ungulates into a canyon where the elders awaited with weapons. Similar active drives were done in Anatolia and the New World, though without the
    exaggeration.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 27 08:25:29 2022
    Op zondag 27 februari 2022 om 01:48:35 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

I just read:
    documentaries. ... they were undertaken by the same 4 individual hunters. Only 3 of the 8 prompted ER hunts were successful, even though those hunts were commenced from a vehicle, and hunters refilled their water bottles during hunting.” :-DDD

The endurance running scenario is based on a coming-of-age ritual where the young men chase a group of ungulates into a canyon where the elders awaited with weapons. Similar active drives were done in Anatolia and the New World, though without the
    exaggeration.

Yes, my boy, but you have to bea complete idiot to believe that your Pleistocene ancestors ran after antelopes: Pickering & Bunn [2007] criticized the meagre evidence of Liebenberg [2006]: “Over the course of 20 years, only 2 of the ER hunts observed
    by Liebenberg were spontaneous. 8 others were prompted by Liebenberg, so that they could be filmed for TV documentaries. ... they were undertaken by the same 4 individual hunters. Only 3 of the 8 prompted ER hunts were successful, even though those
    hunts were commenced from a vehicle, and hunters refilled their water bottles during hunting.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 27 23:35:47 2022
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

I just read:

Pickering & Bunn [2007] criticized the meagre evidence of Liebenberg [2006]: “Over the course of 20 years, only 2 of the ER* hunts observed
    by Liebenberg were spontaneous. 8 others were prompted by Liebenberg, so that they could be filmed for TV documentaries. ... they were
    undertaken by the same 4 individual hunters. Only 3 of the 8 prompted ER hunts were successful, even though those hunts were commenced
    from a vehicle, and hunters refilled their water bottles during hunting.”

Did it ever occur to them that you don't need big brains or spears to endurance hunt?

If you're running an animal to exhaustion, once it drops they could just walk up to it
    & start carving, if they have a rock with a sharp edge.

So we "Evolved" by endurance running? But that requires us to already be runners,
    doesn't it? So we evolved into runners by not running?

Maybe our ancestors spent a hundred thousand years trying to endurance run, and failed because we hadn't evolved to run yet, but after all those years where they
    starved to death they suddenly could run?

Nothing about this "Evolutionary Significant" enduring hunting thing makes any sense.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Mon Feb 28 01:13:22 2022
    On Monday, February 28, 2022 at 2:35:48 AM UTC-5, I Envy JTEM wrote:
    littor...@gmail.com wrote:

I just read:

Pickering & Bunn [2007] criticized the meagre evidence of Liebenberg [2006]: “Over the course of 20 years, only 2 of the ER* hunts observed
    by Liebenberg were spontaneous. 8 others were prompted by Liebenberg, so that they could be filmed for TV documentaries. ... they were
    undertaken by the same 4 individual hunters. Only 3 of the 8 prompted ER hunts were successful, even though those hunts were commenced
    from a vehicle, and hunters refilled their water bottles during hunting.”
    Did it ever occur to them that you don't need big brains or spears to sleep?

If you're running an animal to exhaustion, once it drops they could just walk up to it
    & start carving, if they have a rock with a sharp edge.
    Strawman.

So we "Evolved" into endurance running? But that requires us to already be aquatic sleepers?
    doesn't it? So we evolved into runners by diving like manatees?

Maybe our ancestors spent a hundred thousand years trying to endurance run,

No jermy, they slept in domeshields and carried them in forests. Endurance running is as irrelevant as aquatic sleeping.

and
    failed because we hadn't evolved to run yet, but after all those years where they
    starved to death they suddenly could run?

Nothing about this "Evolutionary Significant" enduring hunting thing makes any
    sense.
    Right, you got detoured into diving vs running false dichotomy ignoring the need for safe sleep. Pretending works for mermaids, not for science.

-- --

https://jerm.tumblr.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 28 22:44:14 2022
    DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

[...]

You are the usenet equivalent to farting in a crowded elevator.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/677437778777243648

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 28 22:48:10 2022

I Envy JTEM wrote:
    Did it ever occur to them that you don't need big brains to endurance hunt?

I pick my nose and eat it. Yum! It's so good. No seafood diet!

Thanks for sharing.

-- --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Mon Feb 28 23:27:46 2022
    On Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 1:48:11 AM UTC-5, I Envy JTEM wrote:
    I Envy JTEM wrote:
    Did it ever occur to them that you don't need big brains to endurance hunt?

I pick my nose and eat it. Yum! It's so good. No seafood diet!
    You misspelled lick & yam.
    Thanks for sharing.

-- --

Jermy wormy squirmy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 1 12:49:16 2022

[...]

Like I said, you don't need a bigger brain or good tools in order to
    endurance hunt. You're running down an animal to exhaustion, or
    so you claim, so no weapons there. All you need is a rock with a
    sharp edge to start cutting...

The most likely model is that such inland activity, presuming it
    ever actually took place amongst archaics, was limited to INLAND
    populations. They left the waterside population behind -- during an interglacial, or a natural disaster, or maybe fleeing a epidemic, or
    maybe just stupidly following a river/stream inland too far -- and
    they had to find new sources of food. So, without a tool set
    optimized for such an environment, and not having had time enough
    yet to figure out the whole hunting thing by trial & error, they kind of
    just moronically said, "Hey! There's an animal! Let's all eat it!" But
    as they walked towards the animal it walked away so they started
    running and it started running and they eventually starved to death
    or died of thirst.

Great model.

But it makes far more sense than any other savanna nonsense model.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/677550538712383488

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Tue Mar 1 16:40:57 2022
    On Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 3:49:17 PM UTC-5, I Envy JTEM wrote:
    [...]

Like I said, you don't need a bigger brain or good tools in order to endurance hunt. You're running down an animal to exhaustion, or
    so you claim, so no weapons there. All you need is a rock with a
    sharp edge to start cutting...

The most likely model is that such inland activity, presuming it
    ever actually took place amongst archaics, was limited to INLAND
    populations. They left the waterside population behind -- during an interglacial, or a natural disaster, or maybe fleeing a epidemic, or
    maybe just stupidly following a river/stream inland too far -- and
    they had to find new sources of food. So, without a tool set
    optimized for such an environment, and not having had time enough
    yet to figure out the whole hunting thing by trial & error, they kind of
    just moronically said, "Hey! There's an animal! Let's all eat it!" But
    as they walked towards the animal it walked away so they started
    running and it started running and they eventually starved to death
    or died of thirst.

Great model.

But it makes far more sense than any other savanna nonsense model.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/677550538712383488
    Fantasy level 3.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 1 18:23:25 2022
    Yup, you would have to be "cognitively disabled" to think that humans evolved by/to "endurance hunting."

There's simply no selective pressure to grow larger brains, increase development
    or even to experiment with new tools.

No selective pressure, what that blithering idiot, Darwin, called "Natural Selection."

...stealing the term from Wallace, didn't he?

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/677555399486046208

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05