• Woodworking activities by early humans: a plant residue analysis on Ach

From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 13 20:46:33 2022
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0047248400904664
    April 2001

Abstract
    The emergence of the Acheulian stone tool industry, between 1·7 and 1·5 m.y.a.,
    constitutes one of the earliest evidences of complex behavior in the
    process of
    human evolution. The major technological breakthrough with the Acheulian industry was the beginning of the manufacture of bifacially shaped heavy-duty tools. Handaxes made with a predetermined form and a high degree of symmetry are the main characteristic of the Acheulian tradition. The tools are shaped through a long knapping sequence with a remarkable increase in the technical skills of the makers, compared with the older Oldowan tradition, implying
    a high
    degree of planning and foresight. Until recently, the function of these
    early bifacial
    tools remained unknown. A large number of these artefacts were found at
    Peninj
    in Tanzania, and phytolith analyses on handaxes have yielded for the first
    time
    unambiguous evidence of their function as woodworking tools.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 13 23:36:37 2022
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

[...]

They say we should all practice random acts of kindness, get some karma
    going, so let me just say that you have a great deal of value as a human and you are super appreciated, just not in any way, shape or form related to
    paleo anthropology.

*Hugs*!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/673305954924822528

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Mon Jan 31 23:58:15 2022
    On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 2:36:38 AM UTC-5, I Envy JTEM wrote:
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

[...]

They say we should all practice random acts of kindness, get some karma going, so let me just say that you have a great deal of value as a human and you are super appreciated, just not in any way, shape or form related to paleo anthropology.

*Hugs*!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/673305954924822528

Skipping the Jerm's gibberish...

Pygmies slit the stems of large broad-leaves and clothespin them to the wicker frame of their dome huts. Ancient Homo did the same with their domeshield, and used the same slit & pin method to hang and cure ultra-thin meat slices at streamside (sunnier
    there than under the forest canopy) before fire was domesticated. Killing a boar or sow required a strong sharp spear, the hunters stood behind shields next to trees, if charged they climbed 2' up the tree, safe since the boar couldn't raise it's head,
    unlike a bull or stag. (Russians do this, they cling to tree trunks just above the ground, no need to climb higher.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05