• Bacon, prosciutto: ancient thin-sliced meat

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 2 12:08:01 2022
    While southern Europeans have historic traditions of pork slicing and sun-wind drying in the mountains, the ancient Hebrews had strict prohibition against touching, cooking and eating all pork. They occupied the region around the Dead Sea, which has no
    UV radiation due to the extreme low elevation and high ozone. Sun-wind drying and salting thin sliced pork thus would NOT kill pathogens within the flesh, so any non-cooked consumption (or hand-processing of pre-cooked meat) would guarantee continued
    infestation and ill health among populations in the lowlands (the mountain communities do get UV, but goats/sheep are much more common food there in the Levant & Arabia).

I'd guess that the Dead Sea lowland pork prohibition existed long before being written in the Torah scrolls.

DDeden

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 2 22:42:11 2022
    On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 3:08:02 PM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    While southern Europeans have historic traditions of pork slicing and sun-wind drying in the mountains, the ancient Hebrews had strict prohibition against touching, cooking and eating all pork. They occupied the region around the Dead Sea, which has no
    UV radiation due to the extreme low elevation and high ozone. Sun-wind drying and salting thin sliced pork thus would NOT kill pathogens within the flesh, so any non-cooked consumption (or hand-processing of pre-cooked meat) would guarantee continued
    infestation and ill health among populations in the lowlands (the mountain communities do get UV, but goats/sheep are much more common food there in the Levant & Arabia).

I'd guess that the Dead Sea lowland pork prohibition existed long before being written in the Torah scrolls.

DDeden

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/tXBMKHGndxM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)