• Microstratigraphic preservation of ancient faunal and hominin DNA in Pl

From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 31 22:29:08 2021
    https://www.pnas.org/content/119/1/e2113666118
    PNAS January 4, 2022

Significance
    DNA preserved in sediments has emerged as an important source of
    information about past ecosystems, independent of the discovery of skeletal remains. However, little is known about the sources of sediment DNA, the factors affecting its long-term preservation, and the extent to which it
    may be
    translocated after deposition. Here, we show that impregnated blocks of
    intact
    sediment are excellent archives of DNA. DNA distribution is highly heterogeneous at the microscale in the cave sediment we studied, suggesting that postdepositional movement of DNA is unlikely to be a common
    phenomenon in cases where the stratigraphy is undisturbed. Combining micromorphological analysis with microstratigraphic retrieval of ancient DNA therefore allows genetic information to be associated with the detailed archaeological and ecological record preserved in sediments.

Abstract
    Ancient DNA recovered from Pleistocene sediments represents a rich resource
    for the study of past hominin and environmental diversity. However, little is known about how DNA is preserved in sediments and the extent to which it may
    be translocated between archaeological strata. Here, we investigate DNA preservation in 47 blocks of resin-impregnated archaeological sediment collected
    over the last four decades for micromorphological analyses at 13
    prehistoric sites
    in Europe, Asia, Africa, and North America and show that such blocks can preserve DNA of hominins and other mammals. Extensive microsampling of
    sediment blocks from Denisova Cave in the Altai Mountains reveals that the taxonomic composition of mammalian DNA differs drastically at the millimeter-scale and that DNA is concentrated in small particles,
    especially in
    fragments of bone and feces (coprolites), suggesting that these are
    substantial
    sources of DNA in sediments. Three microsamples taken in close proximity in
    one of the blocks yielded Neanderthal DNA from at least two male individuals closely related to Denisova 5, a Neanderthal toe bone previously recovered
    from the same layer. Our work indicates that DNA can remain stably localized
    in sediments over time and provides a means of linking genetic information to the archaeological and ecological records on a microstratigraphic scale.

"Our data suggest that hominin DNA in impregnated sediments is commonly localized rather than being distributed uniformly throughout the sediment matrix
    and that a localized sample is more likely to yield DNA originating from a single
    individual than is the case for loose sediment samples. Sampling of micromorphology blocks, therefore, offers the prospect of increasing the quantity
    of aDNA that can be recovered from sediments, especially for hominins and
    other
    rare taxa."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Sat Jan 1 00:07:35 2022
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

DNA preserved in sediments

This is ld news, I've talked about it several times in the past, and I've got to
    wonder if THIS TIME, now that you noticed they can do this, you are wondering about some of the Naledi claims, and the lack of DNA specifically?

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/672158937732317184

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Thu Jan 13 13:41:08 2022
    I Envy JTEM wrote:
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

This is ld news, I've talked about it several times in the past, and I've got to

Jan 4th 2022 is old news?

PNAS January 4, 2022

wonder if THIS TIME, now that you noticed they can do this, you are wondering about some of the Naledi claims, and the lack of DNA specifically?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I Envy JTEM@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Thu Jan 13 19:08:50 2022
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

I Envy JTEM wrote:

Primum Sapienti wrote:

This is ld news, I've talked about it several times in the past, and

I keep forgetting about your cognitive disability but, the "News" is very old. In fact, I pointed out how I had talked about it in the past a number of
    times. So the "News" has to be old, else it could not have already been
    dealt with.

How is it you can pretend to be capable of speaking on these topics when
    you can't handle rudimentary communication skills?

-- --

https://uapro.tumblr.com/post/673320174831747072/today-you-get-two-angel-numbers-222-and-1111-if

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to I Envy JTEM on Tue Jan 25 21:51:15 2022
    I Envy JTEM wrote:
    Primum Sapienti wrote:

I Envy JTEM wrote:

Primum Sapienti wrote:

This is ld news, I've talked about it several times in the past, and

I keep forgetting about your cognitive disability but, the "News" is very old.
    In fact, I pointed out how I had talked about it in the past a number of times. So the "News" has to be old, else it could not have already been
    dealt with.

How is it you can pretend to be capable of speaking on these topics when
    you can't handle rudimentary communication skills?

You posting your ruminations does not constitute actual research.

This study examined distribution of DNA in the soil.

PNAS January 4, 2022

Significance
    DNA preserved in sediments has emerged as an important source of
    information about past ecosystems, independent of the discovery of skeletal remains. However, little is known about the sources of sediment DNA, the factors affecting its long-term preservation, and the extent to which it
    may be
    translocated after deposition. Here, we show that impregnated blocks of intact sediment are excellent archives of DNA. DNA distribution is highly heterogeneous at the microscale in the cave sediment we studied, suggesting that postdepositional movement of DNA is unlikely to be a common
    phenomenon in cases where the stratigraphy is undisturbed. Combining micromorphological analysis with microstratigraphic retrieval of ancient DNA therefore allows genetic information to be associated with the detailed archaeological and ecological record preserved in sediments.

Abstract
    Ancient DNA recovered from Pleistocene sediments represents a rich resource
    for the study of past hominin and environmental diversity. However, little is known about how DNA is preserved in sediments and the extent to which it may
    be translocated between archaeological strata. Here, we investigate DNA preservation in 47 blocks of resin-impregnated archaeological sediment collected
    over the last four decades for micromorphological analyses at 13
    prehistoric sites
    in Europe, Asia, Africa, and North America and show that such blocks can preserve DNA of hominins and other mammals. Extensive microsampling of
    sediment blocks from Denisova Cave in the Altai Mountains reveals that the taxonomic composition of mammalian DNA differs drastically at the millimeter-scale and that DNA is concentrated in small particles,
    especially in
    fragments of bone and feces (coprolites), suggesting that these are
    substantial
    sources of DNA in sediments. Three microsamples taken in close proximity in
    one of the blocks yielded Neanderthal DNA from at least two male individuals closely related to Denisova 5, a Neanderthal toe bone previously recovered
    from the same layer. Our work indicates that DNA can remain stably localized
    in sediments over time and provides a means of linking genetic information to the archaeological and ecological records on a microstratigraphic scale.

"Our data suggest that hominin DNA in impregnated sediments is commonly localized rather than being distributed uniformly throughout the sediment matrix
    and that a localized sample is more likely to yield DNA originating from a single
    individual than is the case for loose sediment samples. Sampling of micromorphology blocks, therefore, offers the prospect of increasing the quantity
    of aDNA that can be recovered from sediments, especially for hominins and
    other
    rare taxa."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05