• A slice of mammoth?

From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 29 05:28:43 2021
    Choppers(chisels?) were used 2.6ma, handaxes 1ma. All that time very sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available for shaving ultra-thin slices of beef/auroch, hippo, elephantids, rats, whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc etc.
    I think this was done, and salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites would be removed by sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their eggs. I think these
    shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum, uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed slices. Maybe with mushrooms.

I'm certainly not saying they were hypercarnivores, but rather that they remained omnivores while partaking in the seasonal harvests, and moving their bands in circuits of plenty, and that prosciutto/prsut/serrano of some sort was normal, while thick
    steaks and meaty chunks were never consumed until full fire domestication & stewpots evolved.

DD

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israeli-archaeologists-resolve-ages-old-evolutionary-conundrum-1.9835193

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israelis-crack-2-million-year-old-mystery-about-stone-tools-1.9465132

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mario Petrinovic@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 29 18:32:16 2021
    On 29.12.2021. 14:28, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Choppers(chisels?) were used 2.6ma, handaxes 1ma. All that time very sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available for shaving ultra-thin slices of beef/auroch, hippo, elephantids, rats, whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc
    etc. I think this was done, and salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites would be removed by sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their eggs. I think
    these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum, uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed slices. Maybe with mushrooms.

I'm certainly not saying they were hypercarnivores, but rather that they remained omnivores while partaking in the seasonal harvests, and moving their bands in circuits of plenty, and that prosciutto/prsut/serrano of some sort was normal, while thick
    steaks and meaty chunks were never consumed until full fire domestication & stewpots evolved.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israeli-archaeologists-resolve-ages-old-evolutionary-conundrum-1.9835193

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israelis-crack-2-million-year-old-mystery-about-stone-tools-1.9465132

Bloody idiots. To get to the bone marrow? And what's wrong with meat,
    you bloody idiots?

--
    https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
    human-evolution@googlegroups.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mario Petrinovic@21:1/5 to Mario Petrinovic on Wed Dec 29 18:36:39 2021
    On 29.12.2021. 18:32, Mario Petrinovic wrote:

Choppers(chisels?) were used 2.6ma, handaxes 1ma. All that time very
    sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were
    available for shaving ultra-thin slices of beef/auroch, hippo,
    elephantids, rats, whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc etc. I think
    this was done, and salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites
    would be removed by sight by experts (the hunters and their partners &
    mothers.)) UV radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if
    it kills their eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like
    chewing gum, uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary
    enzymes, possibly rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed
    slices. Maybe with mushrooms.

I'm certainly not saying they were hypercarnivores, but rather that
    they remained omnivores while partaking in the seasonal harvests, and
    moving their bands in circuits of plenty, and that
    prosciutto/prsut/serrano of some sort was normal, while thick steaks
    and meaty chunks were never consumed until full fire domestication &
    stewpots  evolved.

Bloody idiots. To get to the bone marrow? And what's wrong with
    meat, you bloody idiots?

I mean, what? They killed (or "scavenged") all those animals just so
    that they can leave meat to the dogs, and take some bone marrow?
    Shouldn't be the other way around? Are they blind?
    For preciutto to slice, you need to have really sharp *metal* knife.

--
    https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
    human-evolution@googlegroups.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From littoral.homo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 29 14:33:46 2021
    Choppers(chisels?) were used 2.6ma, handaxes 1ma. All that time very sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available for shaving ultra-thin slices of beef/auroch, hippo, elephantids, rats, whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc
    etc.

:-DDD

This is even more idiotic than running after antelopes...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 29 15:23:05 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 5:33:47 PM UTC-5, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    etc.

This is even more idiotic than running after antelopes...

"Pity the fools" Mr. T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Primum Sapienti@21:1/5 to Mario Petrinovic on Fri Dec 31 23:03:51 2021
    Mario Petrinovic wrote:

sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available
    for shaving ultra-thin slices of beef/auroch, hippo, elephantids, rats,
    whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc etc. I think this was done, and
    salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites would be removed by
    sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV
    radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their
    eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum,
    uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly
    rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed slices. Maybe with
    mushrooms.

stewpots  evolved.

meat, you bloody idiots?

I mean, what? They killed (or "scavenged") all those animals just
    so that they can leave meat to the dogs, and take some bone marrow?

The meat wasn't wasted. Bone marrow is very nutritious. It was just more
    from the carcass.

See, for example

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_marrow_(food)>

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/701477
    Origins of the Human Predatory Pattern: The Transition to Large-Animal Exploitation
    by Early Hominins

Abstract
    The habitual consumption of large-animal resources (e.g., similar sized or larger
    than the consumer) separates human and nonhuman primate behavior. Flaked
    stone tool use, another important hominin behavior, is often portrayed as
    being
    functionally related to this by the necessity of a sharp edge for cutting animal
    tissue. However, most research on both issues emphasizes sites that
    postdate ca.
    2.0 million years ago. This paper critically examines the theoretical significance of
    the earlier origins of these two behaviors, their proposed
    interrelationship, and
    the nature of the empirical record. We argue that concepts of meat-eating and tool use are too loosely defined: outside-bone nutrients (e.g., meat) and inside-bone nutrients (e.g., marrow and brains) have different macronutrient characteristics (protein vs. fat), mechanical requirements for access
    (cutting vs.
    percussion), search, handling and competitive costs, encounter rates, and net returns. Thus, they would have demanded distinct technological and behavioral solutions. We propose that the regular exploitation of large-animal resources—
    the “human predatory pattern”—began with an emphasis on percussion-based scavenging of inside-bone nutrients, independent of the emergence of flaked stone tool use. This leads to a series of empirical test implications that differ from
    previous “meat-eating” origins scenarios.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 1 02:48:12 2022
    On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 5:43:18 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 1:03:50 AM UTC-5, Primum Sapienti wrote:
    Mario Petrinovic wrote:
    On 29.12.2021. 14:28, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote: >>>
    Choppers(chisels?) were used 2.6ma, handaxes 1ma. All that time very >>> sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available
    whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc etc. I think this was done, and >>> salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites would be removed by >>> sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV
    radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their >>> eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum,
    uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly >>> rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed slices. Maybe with >>> mushrooms.

I'm certainly not saying they were hypercarnivores, but rather that >>> they remained omnivores while partaking in the seasonal harvests, and >>> moving their bands in circuits of plenty, and that
    prosciutto/prsut/serrano of some sort was normal, while thick steaks >>> and meaty chunks were never consumed until full fire domestication & >>> stewpots evolved.

meat, you bloody idiots?

so that they can leave meat to the dogs, and take some bone marrow? Shouldn't be the other way around? Are they blind?

The meat wasn't wasted. Bone marrow is very nutritious. It was just more from the carcass.

See, for example

Origins of the Human Predatory Pattern: The Transition to Large-Animal Exploitation
    by Early Hominins

Abstract
    The habitual consumption of large-animal resources (e.g., similar sized or larger
    than the consumer) separates human and nonhuman primate behavior. Flaked stone tool use, another important hominin behavior, is often portrayed as being
    functionally related to this by the necessity of a sharp edge for cutting animal
    tissue. However, most research on both issues emphasizes sites that postdate ca.
    2.0 million years ago. This paper critically examines the theoretical significance of
    the earlier origins of these two behaviors, their proposed interrelationship, and
    the nature of the empirical record. We argue that concepts of meat-eating and
    tool use are too loosely defined: outside-bone nutrients (e.g., meat) and inside-bone nutrients (e.g., marrow and brains) have different macronutrient
    characteristics (protein vs. fat), mechanical requirements for access (cutting vs.
    percussion), search, handling and competitive costs, encounter rates, and net
    returns. Thus, they would have demanded distinct technological and behavioral
    solutions. We propose that the regular exploitation of large-animal resources—
    the “human predatory pattern”—began with an emphasis on percussion-based
    scavenging of inside-bone nutrients, independent of the emergence of flaked
    stone tool use. This leads to a series of empirical test implications that differ from
    Chunks of meat were not eaten, but ultrathin slices exposed to sunlight UV, wind were salivated and chewed

Amazing coincidence? The Semitic people who lived along the low-UV region around the Dead Sea made special rules about food, diet, cooking: kosher/kashrut could not rely on low-UV parasite radiation, so they banned pork.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to Primum Sapienti on Sat Jan 1 02:43:17 2022
    Mario Petrinovic wrote:

sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available >>> for shaving ultra-thin slices of beef/auroch, hippo, elephantids, rats, >>> whale, seal, fish, octopus, yams, etc etc. I think this was done, and >>> salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites would be removed by
    sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV
    radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their >>> eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum,
    uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly >>> rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed slices. Maybe with
    mushrooms.

they remained omnivores while partaking in the seasonal harvests, and >>> moving their bands in circuits of plenty, and that
    stewpots evolved.

Bloody idiots. To get to the bone marrow? And what's wrong with >> meat, you bloody idiots?

I mean, what? They killed (or "scavenged") all those animals just so that they can leave meat to the dogs, and take some bone marrow? Shouldn't be the other way around? Are they blind?

The meat wasn't wasted. Bone marrow is very nutritious. It was just more from the carcass.

See, for example

by Early Hominins

Abstract
    than the consumer) separates human and nonhuman primate behavior. Flaked stone tool use, another important hominin behavior, is often portrayed as being
    tissue. However, most research on both issues emphasizes sites that
    postdate ca.
    the earlier origins of these two behaviors, their proposed interrelationship, and
    tool use are too loosely defined: outside-bone nutrients (e.g., meat) and inside-bone nutrients (e.g., marrow and brains) have different macronutrient characteristics (protein vs. fat), mechanical requirements for access (cutting vs.
    scavenging of inside-bone nutrients, independent of the emergence of flaked stone tool use. This leads to a series of empirical test implications that differ from
    Chunks of meat were not eaten, but ultrathin slices exposed to sunlight UV, wind were salivated and chewed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 2 12:09:56 2022
    On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 5:48:13 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 5:43:18 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    Mario Petrinovic wrote:
    On 29.12.2021. 14:28, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote: >>>
    Choppers(chisels?) were used 2.6ma, handaxes 1ma. All that time very >>> sharp very thin flakes of obsidian, chert, flint, basalt were available
    salted and/or wind-sun dried. (I think parasites would be removed by >>> sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV
    radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their
    eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum, >>> uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly
    rolled on wild lettuce or grape leaves or seaweed slices. Maybe with >>> mushrooms.

I'm certainly not saying they were hypercarnivores, but rather that >>> they remained omnivores while partaking in the seasonal harvests, and
    prosciutto/prsut/serrano of some sort was normal, while thick steaks >>> and meaty chunks were never consumed until full fire domestication & >>> stewpots evolved.

meat, you bloody idiots?

so that they can leave meat to the dogs, and take some bone marrow? Shouldn't be the other way around? Are they blind?

See, for example

by Early Hominins

Abstract
    The habitual consumption of large-animal resources (e.g., similar sized or
    larger
    than the consumer) separates human and nonhuman primate behavior. Flaked stone tool use, another important hominin behavior, is often portrayed as
    being
    functionally related to this by the necessity of a sharp edge for cutting
    animal
    tissue. However, most research on both issues emphasizes sites that postdate ca.
    tool use are too loosely defined: outside-bone nutrients (e.g., meat) and
    inside-bone nutrients (e.g., marrow and brains) have different macronutrient
    characteristics (protein vs. fat), mechanical requirements for access (cutting vs.
    stone tool use. This leads to a series of empirical test implications that
    differ from
    Amazing coincidence? The Semitic people who lived along the low-UV region around the Dead Sea made special rules about food, diet, cooking: kosher/kashrut could not rely on low-UV parasite radiation, so they banned pork.

While southern Europeans have historic traditions of pork slicing and sun-wind drying in the mountains, the ancient Hebrews had strict prohibition against touching, cooking and eating all pork. They occupied the region around the Dead Sea, which has no
    UV radiation due to the extreme low elevation and high ozone. Sun-wind drying and salting thin sliced pork thus would NOT kill pathogens within the flesh, so any non-cooked consumption (or hand-processing of pre-cooked meat) would guarantee continued
    infestation and ill health among populations in the lowlands (the mountain communities do get UV, but goats/sheep are much more common food there in the Levant & Arabia).

I'd guess that the Dead Sea lowland pork prohibition existed long before being written in the Torah scrolls.

DDeden

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 2 22:41:10 2022
    On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 3:09:57 PM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 5:48:13 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    Mario Petrinovic wrote:

sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV >>> radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their
    eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum, >>> uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly
    mushrooms.

stewpots evolved.

meat, you bloody idiots?

from the carcass.

See, for example

by Early Hominins

Abstract
    larger
    being
    animal
    differ from
    Southern Europeans have historic traditions of pork slicing and sun-wind drying in the mountains, the ancient Hebrews had strict prohibition against touching, cooking and eating all pork. They occupied the region around the Dead Sea, which has no UV
    radiation due to the extreme low elevation and high ozone. Sun-wind drying and salting thin sliced pork thus would NOT kill pathogens within the flesh, so any non-cooked consumption (or hand-processing of pre-cooked meat) would guarantee continued
    infestation and ill health among populations in the lowlands (the mountain communities do get UV, but goats/sheep are much more common food there in the Levant & Arabia).

I'd guess that the Dead Sea lowland pork prohibition existed long before being written in the Torah scrolls.

DDeden

Hypothesis nicely confirmed, butchery using tiny flint flakes to cut thin slices of meat at revadim site:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-49650-8

But site is a quarry at south coastal plain rather than at Dead Sea where UV is lowest.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 6 00:12:29 2022
    On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 1:41:11 AM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 3:09:57 PM UTC-5, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    Mario Petrinovic wrote:

sight by experts (the hunters and their partners & mothers.)) UV >>> radiation kills parasitic worms, though I'm not sure if it kills their
    eggs. I think these shavings/morsels were chewed like chewing gum,
    uncooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated by salivary enzymes, possibly
    mushrooms.

stewpots evolved.

Bloody idiots. To get to the bone marrow? And what's wrong with >> meat, you bloody idiots?

I mean, what? They killed (or "scavenged") all those animals just so that they can leave meat to the dogs, and take some bone marrow?

from the carcass.

See, for example

Origins of the Human Predatory Pattern: The Transition to Large-Animal
    Exploitation
    by Early Hominins

Abstract
    larger
    being
    animal
    2.0 million years ago. This paper critically examines the theoretical
    significance of
    characteristics (protein vs. fat), mechanical requirements for access
    (cutting vs.
    differ from
    Southern Europeans have historic traditions of pork slicing and sun-wind drying in the mountains, the ancient Hebrews had strict prohibition against touching, cooking and eating all pork. They occupied the region around the Dead Sea, which has no UV
    radiation due to the extreme low elevation and high ozone. Sun-wind drying and salting thin sliced pork thus would NOT kill pathogens within the flesh, so any non-cooked consumption (or hand-processing of pre-cooked meat) would guarantee continued

DDeden
    Hypothesis nicely confirmed, butchery using tiny flint flakes to cut thin slices of meat at revadim site:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-49650-8

But site is a quarry at south coastal plain rather than at Dead Sea where UV is lowest.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-59828850
    Mammoths & marine handaxe & cake

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05