• Correlation between language families and grizzly bear relationship

From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to littor...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 27 18:08:41 2021
    On Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 4:47:48 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
    Op vrijdag 20 augustus 2021 om 02:19:59 UTC+2 schreef peter2...@gmail.com:
    I'm envious: this group is a lot more active than sci.bio.paleontology.
    The most active group is a...@groups.io :-)
    Still, I couldn't resist showing the following post that appeared in talk.origins
    to this group. It seems to fit s.a.p. in a delightfully different way than usual.

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 11:26:19 AM UTC-4, Mark Isaak wrote:
    ‘Mind blowing’: Grizzly bear DNA maps onto Indigenous language families.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/mind-blowing-grizzly-bear-dna-maps-indigenous-language-families
    Bears became the Pleistocene salmon-eaters of the N.America, whereas Homo became the Pleistocene salmon-eaters of Europe?

I don't know the answer to that question, but it is completely irrelevant to what I was talking about,
    as you would know if you hadn't snipped so much and then focused only on what you had left in.

No wonder grizzley & human run parallel?

To the extent of three separate grizzly-human pairings remaining stable for millennia in
    one corner of British Columbia????

You and I couldn't run parallel for even one post.

Peter Nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to peter2...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 27 18:18:42 2021
    On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:08:42 PM UTC-4, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
    Still, I couldn't resist showing the following post that appeared in talk.origins
    to this group. It seems to fit s.a.p. in a delightfully different way than usual.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/mind-blowing-grizzly-bear-dna-maps-indigenous-language-families
    Bears became the Pleistocene salmon-eaters of the N.America, whereas Homo became the Pleistocene salmon-eaters of Europe?

I think one important key is that trout and other inland salmonids were widespread and available to hominins in Eurasia & Africa, and that they actually have higher levels of omega 3 oils DHA & EPA (brain builders) than coastal oysters & mussels.

I don't know the answer to that question, but it is completely irrelevant to what I was talking about,
    as you would know if you hadn't snipped so much and then focused only on what you had left in.
    To the extent of three separate grizzly-human pairings remaining stable for millennia in

Peter Nyikos

MV is a aquamarine mermaid in disguise.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 27 18:41:17 2021
    On Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 3:39:43 PM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Perhaps so, grizzleys more aggressive than European brown bears and closer to aggressive hypercarnivorous polar bears due to dependence on spawning salmon = streamside with marine nutrients ?

I saw your rationale for this in the reply to me just now. I didn't realize that there were salmon in Siberia.
    Were they just on the east coast, or did some actually spend most of their lives in the Arctic ocean,
    and spawn in tributaries [1] of the Ob, Yenisey, Lena, etc.?

[1] Trivial trivia: for about half a minute I had a mental block about this word, because the word "obituaries"
    kept popping uninvited into my consciousness.

Indeed. Humans from frugivore/nugivore stone tool background, sheltered, tropical, extended claws to sharp spears...

...hundreds of thousands of years earlier. A much better parallel is

short-faced ("cave") bear of Europe : the humans that lived in the area : : grizzlys : immigrants via the Bering strait

And all four were of the ice age, not tropical, obviously.

Question: When via Beringia AMHs arrived, they conquered ignorant prey and displaced many predators. But not polar bears or grizzleys or wolves. Why not?

The autochtonous dire wolf did become extinct, didn't it?

Peter Nyikos
    Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
    Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia
    http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_l@21:1/5 to peter2...@gmail.com on Sat Aug 28 01:14:18 2021
    On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:41:18 PM UTC-4, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 3:39:43 PM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Perhaps so, grizzleys more aggressive than European brown bears and closer to aggressive hypercarnivorous polar bears due to dependence on spawning salmon = streamside with marine nutrients ?
    I saw your rationale for this in the reply to me just now. I didn't realize that there were salmon in Siberia.
    Were they just on the east coast, or did some actually spend most of their lives in the Arctic ocean,
    Salmonids were common spawners in most temperate and arctic streams, bears common predators. Most Siberians had a bear cult.

[1] Trivial trivia: for about half a minute I had a mental block about this word, because the word "obituaries"
    Do you attribute that to the orbit of salmon returning to their home streams to spawn & die en masse?

Indeed. Humans from frugivore/nugivore stone tool background, sheltered, tropical, extended claws to sharp spears...

short-faced
    Carnivorous

("cave") bear
    Vegetarian

of Europe : the humans that lived in the area : : grizzlies : immigrants via the Bering strait

And all four

Forebears? Goldy.lox?

were of the ice age, not tropical, obviously.

Dades trout, now of Moroccan Atlas mountain streams, was common in African streams during ice ages since >1ma, there was a native bear there too, now extinct.

Question: When via Beringia AMHs arrived, they conquered ignorant prey and displaced many predators. But not polar bears or grizzleys or wolves. Why not?
    The autochthonous dire wolf did become extinct, didn't it?
    Yes.
    Peter Nyikos
    Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 30 04:28:08 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 4:14:20 AM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:41:18 PM UTC-4, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:

Sorry, I still don't get the joke.

Salmonids were common spawners in most temperate and arctic streams,

They are also hard to catch without nets or baited hooks. Is there any consensus about when these fishing
    skills were acquired?

bears common predators. Most Siberians had a bear cult.

We need to be careful about mixing paleo and neo here.

Do you attribute that to the orbit of salmon returning to their home streams to spawn & die en masse?

No, I think I was anticipating the Ob river in the listing that followed [1].

short-faced
    Carnivorous

I am really embarrassed by this mistake. Short-faced bears were of North America, cave bears of Europe.

("cave") bear
    Vegetarian

of Europe : the humans that lived in the area : : grizzlies : immigrants via the Bering strait

And all four

Forebears? Goldy.lox?

:)

were of the ice age, not tropical, obviously.
    Dades trout, now of Moroccan Atlas mountain streams, was common in African streams during ice ages since >1ma, there was a native bear there too, now extinct.

The autochthonous dire wolf did become extinct, didn't it?

Yes.

You can add the short-faced bear to the list, and perhaps the giant lion Patrofelis, and Smilodon too.
    Too much reliance on the megafauna who were sitting ducks for the non-coevolved humans.

Peter Nyikos
    Univ. of South Carolina in Columbia

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Nyikos@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 30 05:59:25 2021
    I almost never post on weekends, as you may have learned in sci.bio.paleontology, but
    I was really tempted to make an exception for this one.

On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:18:43 PM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
    On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:08:42 PM UTC-4, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:

I think one important key is that trout and other inland salmonids were widespread and available to hominins in Eurasia & Africa, and that they actually have higher levels of omega 3 oils DHA & EPA (brain builders) than coastal oysters & mussels.

This would indicate that grizzly bears are highly territorial, in stable populations around major food sources.
    Also Native Americans, contrary to the belief (myth?) that they thought of all land being the common domain of them all.

That reminded me of what is probably the longest place name in the USA:

https://www.britannica.com/place/Lake-Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    "Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, also called Lake Chaubunagungamaug or Webster Lake, central Massachusetts, U.S. It is located in southern Worcester county near the town of Webster. The lake’s name is reportedly Nipmuc (
    Algonquian) for what popular culture has held to mean “You fish on your side; I fish on my side; nobody fishes in the middle,” although there is evidence that this interpretation was fabricated by a local news correspondent in the early 20th century.
    “Fishing place at the boundaries, neutral meeting grounds” has been put forth as a more likely translation.

It looks to me like it is the "put forth" version that was a put-on, in a misguided attempt to make the Nimpuc
    [who obviously weren't consulted, if any fluent descendants even exist] look more sophisticated
    than the "popular culture" would have it. Note that there are three natural syntactic parts to the word,
    and the first two parts have "ggagogg" in common. The "put forth" translation has only two natural semantic parts.

"Not surprisingly, the lake is commonly called Webster Lake. It is the second largest natural body of water in Massachusetts."

The following Britannica entry makes no mention of the "put forth" version: https://www.britannica.com/place/Webster-Massachusetts#ref1112908

Something for the record books: the Nipmuc name of Webster Lake may be the longest place name in the USA,
    but a famous community in Wales has it beat by 9, count 'em, nine letters: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

The typescript is deceptive: the Welsh names have shorter letters on the whole and the script squeezes
    the shorter ones together. If you copy these into a plain text file, it will make for easier comparison.
    With Microsoft plain text typescript the spacing of letters is consistent;
    you just have to make sure that the words match letter for letter as far as they go, and then count the surplus.

On the other hand, there is a song that tells us how to pronounce the name of that Welsh word, but it cheats by shortening it:
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrngogogoch
    according to which it loses to that Massachusetts lake by 9, count 'em, nine letters. But even so, the notorious word
    antidisestablishmentarianism loses out by 12 letters to the shorter version.

Peter Nyikos

MV is a aquamarine mermaid in disguise.

Are those the initials of the person whose masked email address is littor...@gmail.com ?

That reminded me of an analogy that was in an IQ test, but which really was ca.10% intelligence
    and 90% vocabulary:

sea : littoral :: river : ____________

I posed this to Mario earlier this month, but he didn't even realize it was an analogy question. He hadn't
    run across this use of colons before. And he confessed that he couldn't have figured it out even with that
    realization. Neither could I, when I first saw the test; it was only years later that I happened across the
    right word, but once I knew its meaning, I knew it had to fit.

Peter Nyikos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05