• Fun Project: building a tiny barn

From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 18 21:55:36 2021
    My granddaughter needed a small model of a barn for a school project. I freehanded one for her and she painted it. It was a joy to build, especially for her.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0gGzFCC1J52MJi

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to wrober...@gmail.com on Tue Oct 19 10:21:42 2021
    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 12:55:38 AM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
    My granddaughter needed a small model of a barn for a school project. I freehanded one for her and she painted it. It was a joy to build, especially for her.

Bob

Very nice! It is fun to build things for our young family members.

My son needed to build something to "act out" a scene from a book he was reading. It too was a farm
    scene and there needed to be movement. We built a rectangular box (wooden, of course) that was about
    4 inches high, just tall enough to put one of those square 6V batteries inside. We used a belt from my
    belt sander as a "dirt road" and attached a small toy tractor to it. The motor drove the belt and the tractor
    moved along the "road", disappearing down into the box at one end and reappearing at the other.

He added other farm related stuff around it to complete the scene.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 19 12:03:28 2021
    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 12:21:45 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Bob

My son needed to build something to "act out" a scene from a book he was reading. It too was a farm
    scene and there needed to be movement. We built a rectangular box (wooden, of course) that was about
    4 inches high, just tall enough to put one of those square 6V batteries inside. We used a belt from my
    belt sander as a "dirt road" and attached a small toy tractor to it. The motor drove the belt and the tractor
    moved along the "road", disappearing down into the box at one end and reappearing at the other.

That shows a lot of creativity and I am certain it was special because of who you built it for.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ads@21:1/5 to wrobertdavis@gmail.com on Tue Oct 19 15:47:47 2021
    On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:55:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
    <wrobertdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

Bob

Helping the grands be creative is fun ;-) When the oldest grand was
    6, we gave her Lehman's version of Lincoln Logs for Christmas. She
    quickly ran thriugh all their plans and then started building her own
    designs - she was engrossed in that for hours. Also great opportunies
    for pictures - nothing like catching a kid fully immersed in her own
    designs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to wrober...@gmail.com on Tue Oct 19 13:59:05 2021
    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 3:03:30 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 12:21:45 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Bob

That shows a lot of creativity and I am certain it was special because of who you built it for.

Correction: ...built it *with*.

I actually stole the idea from something in my own youth. I grew up in Queens, NYC and spent a lot
    of time in Flushing-Meadows Park, the site of the 64-65 World's Fair. (I actually lived one block
    from the Fair prior to and during those years. I watched the fair being built in the swamp land
    around the Flushing river. For 2 years we woke at 6AM to the sounds of the pile drivers.)

After the Fair was closed/demolished and the park was built, one of the attractions that they
    left standing was a scale model of NYC, called the Panorama Of New York City. It was housed in the
    Queens Museum, adjacent to the ice skating rink where I spent almost every weekend as a teen.

https://www.wanderlustingk.com/travel-blog/new-york-city-panorama

Back then, visitors "flew" over the city on a little train, with small enclosed cars made to resemble
    a helicopter, and listened to the voice of the newscaster Lowell Thomas: "Let's get ready for take-off for
    a flight into the past and present of the greatest city on earth!" Thomas then narrated your flight around
    NYC.

It was the 2 airports (LaGuardia and JFK) in that model that gave me the idea for the moving road.
    Imagine 2 lengths of closely spaced fishing line running from the ceiling of the building to the scale
    model on the floor. Suspended between the lines were little airplanes. When the planes reached the
    runway, they would disappear under the airport at the exact same time that another little plane would
    pop up out of the floor and taxi along the runway. The plane had "landed". When the taxiing plane reached
    the end of the runway, it would disappear into the floor and the plane on the lines would come up from
    beneath the floor and "take off". The timing was perfect and landings, taxiing and take offs just repeated
    all day (and all night).

I simply stole the idea behind the "taxiing" portion for my son's tractor road.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hubops@ccanoemail.ca@21:1/5 to wrobertdavis@gmail.com on Tue Oct 19 18:22:31 2021
    On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:55:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
    <wrobertdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

My granddaughter needed a small model of a barn for a school project.
    I freehanded one for her and she painted it. It was a joy to build, especially for her.

Bob

Nice.

One of my better projects for my kids was a small-ish doll house -
    - modelled very closely after this one in a favourite bedtime book
    - The House Mouse.

https://www.amazon.ca/House-Mouse-Dorothy-Joan-Harris/dp/0723218021

I recently discovered that it still resides in my daughters home for
    her kidlets .. the chimneys were hot-glued-on < duh >
    so they fell off fairly easily .. otherwise A-OK.
    I made some very rudimentary furniture items and we supplimented
    with thrift store / yard sale finds ..
    If I had built a big _showcase_ doll house -
    I suspect that it would not be with us today -
    ... too much moving & storage & stuff for a modern family.
    We love this little treasure and the book that inspired it !
    John T.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05