• Building an artist easel

From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 27 19:19:53 2021
    I am building an easel for my wife. She is a professional artist. This is probably a bit more elaborate than what most of you might envision. It is almost 8 feet high and can hold a 4' x 6' canvas. It has a system of counterweight and pulleys so the
    artist can move the canvas up, down, or sideways with one finger. I am building it out of quartersawn white oak and mahogany. Most of the joints are dowel reinforced with a few dominos in parts. A sketchup drawing and photo of some of the parts in
    progress is shown here:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGhtLJ3JGZyhe

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to wrobertdavis@gmail.com on Mon Sep 27 23:31:05 2021
    On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:19:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis
    <wrobertdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

I am building an easel for my wife. She is a professional artist. This is probably a bit more elaborate than what most of you might envision. It is almost 8 feet high and can hold a 4' x 6' canvas. It has a system of counterweight and pulleys so the
    artist can move the canvas up, down, or sideways with one finger. I am building it out of quartersawn white oak and mahogany. Most of the joints are dowel reinforced with a few dominos in parts. A sketchup drawing and photo of some of the parts in
    progress is shown here:

Looks nice! Good choice of woods. I'd probably use ash, mainly
    because I have a pile of it but white oak and mahogany are perfect for
    this too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From knuttle@21:1/5 to krw@notreal.com on Tue Sep 28 08:18:42 2021
    On 9/27/2021 11:31 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
    <wrobertdavis@gmail.com> wrote:

I am building an easel for my wife. She is a professional artist. This is probably a bit more elaborate than what most of you might envision. It is almost 8 feet high and can hold a 4' x 6' canvas. It has a system of counterweight and pulleys so
    the artist can move the canvas up, down, or sideways with one finger. I am building it out of quartersawn white oak and mahogany. Most of the joints are dowel reinforced with a few dominos in parts. A sketchup drawing and photo of some of the parts in
    progress is shown here:

because I have a pile of it but white oak and mahogany are perfect for
    this too.

I threatened to build my wife an easel, but we found a rather expensive
    one on sale at a good price at Jerry's here in Raleigh. It was well constructed and of oak.

I do like the idea of putting wheels on the easel. With the weight it
    will be easy to move around. Do you have locks on the wheels?

She uses her easel for painting, but we also use it to photograph the
    paintings when they are done. She has large windows on three sides of
    her studio, so lighting is not a problems, but for the best results for
    the photographs the easel gets move for the best light on the painting.
    Wheels would be a big help.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From knuttle@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 28 11:48:31 2021
    T24gOS8yOC8yMDIxIDg6MTggQU0sIGtudXR0bGUgd3JvdGU6DQo+IE9uIDkvMjcvMjAyMSAx MTozMSBQTSwga3J3QG5vdHJlYWwuY29tIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gT24gTW9uLCAyNyBTZXAgMjAy MSAxOToxOTo1MyAtMDcwMCAoUERUKSwgQm9iIERhdmlzDQo+PiA8d3JvYmVydGRhdmlzQGdt YWlsLmNvbT4gd3JvdGU6DQo+Pg0KPj4+IEkgYW0gYnVpbGRpbmcgYW4gZWFzZWwgZm9yIG15 IHdpZmUuwqAgU2hlIGlzIGEgcHJvZmVzc2lvbmFsIGFydGlzdC4gIA0KPj4+IFRoaXMgaXMg cHJvYmFibHkgYSBiaXQgbW9yZSBlbGFib3JhdGUgdGhhbiB3aGF0IG1vc3Qgb2YgeW91IG1p Z2h0IA0KPj4+IGVudmlzaW9uLsKgIEl0IGlzIGFsbW9zdCA4IGZlZXQgaGlnaCBhbmQgY2Fu IGhvbGQgYSA0JyB4IDYnIGNhbnZhcy4gSXQgDQo+Pj4gaGFzIGEgc3lzdGVtIG9mIGNvdW50 ZXJ3ZWlnaHQgYW5kwqAgcHVsbGV5cyBzbyB0aGUgYXJ0aXN0IGNhbiBtb3ZlIHRoZSANCj4+ PiBjYW52YXMgdXAsIGRvd24sIG9yIHNpZGV3YXlzIHdpdGggb25lIGZpbmdlci7CoCBJIGFt IGJ1aWxkaW5nIGl0IG91dCANCj4+PiBvZiBxdWFydGVyc2F3biB3aGl0ZSBvYWsgYW5kIG1h aG9nYW55LsKgIE1vc3Qgb2YgdGhlIGpvaW50cyBhcmUgZG93ZWwgDQo+Pj4gcmVpbmZvcmNl ZCB3aXRoIGEgZmV3IGRvbWlub3MgaW4gcGFydHMuIEEgc2tldGNodXAgZHJhd2luZyBhbmQg cGhvdG8gDQo+Pj4gb2Ygc29tZSBvZiB0aGUgcGFydHMgaW4gcHJvZ3Jlc3MgaXMgc2hvd24g aGVyZToNCj4+Pg0KPj4+IGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmljbG91ZC5jb20vc2hhcmVkYWxidW0vI0Iw QUdodExKM0pHWnloZQ0KPj4NCj4+IExvb2tzIG5pY2UhIEdvb2QgY2hvaWNlIG9mIHdvb2Rz LsKgIEknZCBwcm9iYWJseSB1c2UgYXNoLCBtYWlubHkNCj4+IGJlY2F1c2UgSSBoYXZlIGEg cGlsZSBvZiBpdCBidXQgd2hpdGUgb2FrIGFuZCBtYWhvZ2FueSBhcmUgcGVyZmVjdCBmb3IN Cj4+IHRoaXMgdG9vLg0KPj4NCj4gSSB0aHJlYXRlbmVkIHRvIGJ1aWxkIG15IHdpZmUgYW4g ZWFzZWwsIGJ1dCB3ZSBmb3VuZCBhIHJhdGhlciBleHBlbnNpdmUgDQo+IG9uZSBvbiBzYWxl IGF0IGEgZ29vZCBwcmljZSBhdCBKZXJyeSdzIGhlcmUgaW4gUmFsZWlnaC7CoCBJdCB3YXMg d2VsbCANCj4gY29uc3RydWN0ZWQgYW5kIG9mIG9hay4NCj4gDQo+IEkgZG8gbGlrZSB0aGUg aWRlYSBvZiBwdXR0aW5nIHdoZWVscyBvbiB0aGUgZWFzZWwuwqAgV2l0aCB0aGUgd2VpZ2h0 IGl0IA0KPiB3aWxsIGJlIGVhc3kgdG8gbW92ZSBhcm91bmQuwqDCoCBEbyB5b3UgaGF2ZSBs b2NrcyBvbiB0aGUgd2hlZWxzPw0KPiANCj4gU2hlIHVzZXMgaGVyIGVhc2VsIGZvciBwYWlu dGluZywgYnV0IHdlIGFsc28gdXNlIGl0IHRvIHBob3RvZ3JhcGggdGhlIA0KPiBwYWludGlu Z3Mgd2hlbiB0aGV5IGFyZSBkb25lLsKgIFNoZSBoYXMgbGFyZ2Ugd2luZG93cyBvbiB0aHJl ZSBzaWRlcyBvZiANCj4gaGVyIHN0dWRpbywgc28gbGlnaHRpbmcgaXMgbm90IGEgcHJvYmxl bXMsIGJ1dCBmb3IgdGhlIGJlc3QgcmVzdWx0cyBmb3IgDQo+IHRoZSBwaG90b2dyYXBocyB0 aGUgZWFzZWwgZ2V0cyBtb3ZlIGZvciB0aGUgYmVzdCBsaWdodCBvbiB0aGUgcGFpbnRpbmcu IA0KPiBXaGVlbHMgd291bGQgYmUgYSBiaWcgaGVscC4NCkkgYXNrZWQgbXkgd2lmZSBpZiBz aGUgd2FudGVkIHdoZWVscyBvbiBoZXIgZWFzZWwuICBIZXIgYW5zd2VyIHdhcyANCmFic29s dXRlbHkgTm8uICAgIE9uZSBvZiBoZXIgcmVhc29ucyB3YXMgdGhlIGNhdHMgd291bGQgdGhp bmsgaXQgZnVuIHRvIA0KcHVzaCBpdCBhcm91bmQgdGhlIHJvb20uICAgIFdoaWNoIHdhcyBw YXJ0IG9mIHRoZSByZWFzb24gSSBhc2tlZCBhYm91dCANCmxvY2tzIG9uIHRoZSB3aGVlbHMu
    DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Stark@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 28 17:31:15 2021
    Hello everyone, I would like to ask you, how can I make the right choice and buy a quality plunge router. I noticed that I need this tool, but I do not want to buy a bad one.

--
    For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/building-an-artist-easel-3158916-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Bob Davis on Tue Sep 28 13:26:17 2021
    On 9/27/2021 9:19 PM, Bob Davis wrote:
    I am building an easel for my wife. She is a professional artist. This is probably a bit more elaborate than what most of you might envision. It is almost 8 feet high and can hold a 4' x 6' canvas. It has a system of counterweight and pulleys so
    the artist can move the canvas up, down, or sideways with one finger. I am building it out of quartersawn white oak and mahogany. Most of the joints are dowel reinforced with a few dominos in parts. A sketchup drawing and photo of some of the parts in
    progress is shown here:

Bob

Looking Good! And I spotted the glue bottle. ;~)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Mike Stark on Tue Sep 28 13:28:39 2021
    On 9/28/2021 12:31 PM, Mike Stark wrote:
    Hello everyone, I would like to ask you, how can I make the right choice
    and buy a quality plunge router. I noticed that I need this tool, but I
    do not want to buy a bad one.

Makita, Festool, maybe Bosch. I would steer clear of the American
    brands that once ruled this market. Porter Cable to be more specific.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net on Tue Sep 28 14:22:28 2021
    On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 7:18:47 AM UTC-5, keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    On 9/27/2021 11:31 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
    <wrober...@gmail.com> wrote:

progress is shown here:

because I have a pile of it but white oak and mahogany are perfect for this too.

I threatened to build my wife an easel, but we found a rather expensive
    one on sale at a good price at Jerry's here in Raleigh. It was well constructed and of oak.

She uses her easel for painting, but we also use it to photograph the paintings when they are done. She has large windows on three sides of
    her studio, so lighting is not a problems, but for the best results for
    the photographs the easel gets move for the best light on the painting. Wheels would be a big help.

It will have four 4" rubber swivel casters with a lock on each wheel. I've dry fitted the easel with these wheels on and it absolutely will not budge when all four wheels are locked. I added a photo of one of the wheels to previous photo album. I bought
    these at Lee Valley several years ago.

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to Bob Davis on Tue Sep 28 14:28:51 2021
    On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 4:22:31 PM UTC-5, Bob Davis wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 7:18:47 AM UTC-5, keith_...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    On 9/27/2021 11:31 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
    On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:19:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob Davis <wrober...@gmail.com> wrote:

progress is shown here:

because I have a pile of it but white oak and mahogany are perfect for this too.

I threatened to build my wife an easel, but we found a rather expensive one on sale at a good price at Jerry's here in Raleigh. It was well constructed and of oak.

She uses her easel for painting, but we also use it to photograph the paintings when they are done. She has large windows on three sides of
    her studio, so lighting is not a problems, but for the best results for the photographs the easel gets move for the best light on the painting. Wheels would be a big help.
    It will have four 4" rubber swivel casters with a lock on each wheel. I've dry fitted the easel with these wheels on and it absolutely will not budge when all four wheels are locked. I added a photo of one of the wheels to previous photo album. I
    bought these at Lee Valley several years ago.

Bob

Note that the casters are the type that lock both swivel and rotation. This is important if you want it to stay fixed in one place. Here is current model that closely matches what I am using.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/casters-and-wheels/110538-heavy-duty-casters?item=00K2003

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Puckdropper@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 30 08:53:08 2021
    Mike Stark <a1f52ee2076f51348c7207e4df06e0a1@example.com> wrote in news:16a90cacbee86c43$1$2077917$4056de03@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

Hello everyone, I would like to ask you, how can I make the right
    choice and buy a quality plunge router. I noticed that I need this
    tool, but I do not want to buy a bad one.

I bought a Ridgid a long time ago, it was a nice piece of kit. It had swappable bases and the dust collection seemed to work pretty nicely with a vacuum attached. My Bosch Colt palm router, though, sees much more duty
    these days.

If you can, look up the ones you find interesting on Amazon or another site that has product reviews. That can give you an idea of what is good or bad about the tool, but BE CAREFUL, you can't trust all the reviews. Some are anti-reviews, put out by unscrupulous people to dissuade you from buying a particular tool.

Puckdropper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 30 12:25:23 2021
    On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:53:08 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

Mike Stark <a1f52ee2076f51348c7207e4df06e0a1@example.com> wrote in >news:16a90cacbee86c43$1$2077917$4056de03@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

I bought a Ridgid a long time ago, it was a nice piece of kit. It had >swappable bases and the dust collection seemed to work pretty nicely with a >vacuum attached. My Bosch Colt palm router, though, sees much more duty >these days.

If you can, look up the ones you find interesting on Amazon or another site >that has product reviews. That can give you an idea of what is good or bad >about the tool, but BE CAREFUL, you can't trust all the reviews. Some are >anti-reviews, put out by unscrupulous people to dissuade you from buying a >particular tool.

Some are about the packing or delivery! Don't go by the numbers. Read
    the reviews. I discount any review where the seller has made good on
    the sale (replaced or refunded).

There are also decent reviews of this sort of thing on Youtube. I
    watched one last night on palm router, in fact. The Bosch and Dewalt
    were at the top. The reviewer used a Dewalt, it that means anything.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From knuttle@21:1/5 to krw@notreal.com on Thu Sep 30 18:05:22 2021
    On 9/30/2021 12:25 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
    On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:53:08 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

Mike Stark <a1f52ee2076f51348c7207e4df06e0a1@example.com> wrote in
    news:16a90cacbee86c43$1$2077917$4056de03@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

I bought a Ridgid a long time ago, it was a nice piece of kit. It had
    swappable bases and the dust collection seemed to work pretty nicely with a >> vacuum attached. My Bosch Colt palm router, though, sees much more duty
    these days.

If you can, look up the ones you find interesting on Amazon or another site >> that has product reviews. That can give you an idea of what is good or bad >> about the tool, but BE CAREFUL, you can't trust all the reviews. Some are >> anti-reviews, put out by unscrupulous people to dissuade you from buying a >> particular tool.

Some are about the packing or delivery! Don't go by the numbers. Read
    the reviews. I discount any review where the seller has made good on
    the sale (replaced or refunded).

There are also decent reviews of this sort of thing on Youtube. I
    watched one last night on palm router, in fact. The Bosch and Dewalt
    were at the top. The reviewer used a Dewalt, it that means anything.

I have to differ with you about the reviews. From my reading of the
    reviews there appears to be two basic types. The first is the person
    who gets home starts up the unit, runs it for several minutes, and says
    it is a great unit in his review. The second type is the person who
    for what ever reason has a bad experience with the item. In his review
    he thoroughly trashes the item.

There are a rare times I have seen a product with numerous bad reviews,
    being replaced by a "new" model of the product.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05