• My new tool excitement

From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 26 17:20:59 2021
    I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.

Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ritzannaseaton@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wrober...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 26 18:47:56 2021
    On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
    I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.

Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)

Bob

Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in
    between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.

I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Markem618@21:1/5 to jclarke.873638@gmail.com on Sun Sep 26 21:27:04 2021
    On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:19:32 -0400, J. Clarke
    <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com" ><ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote: >>> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.

Bob

Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in
    between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.

I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.

For half the price you can get a couple of Chinese-knockoff
    patternmaker's vises. OTOH, if you need something portable . . .

I like the price of my patternmaker's vice, my dad bought if from JI
    Case for $50 for it also came with a nice bench.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Clarke@21:1/5 to ritzannaseaton@gmail.com on Sun Sep 26 22:19:32 2021
    On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com" <ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote: >> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to J. Clarke on Sun Sep 26 21:19:38 2021
    On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 9:19:34 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
    On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com" <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bob

I'm not going to get embroiled in a value or cost discussion. It's my money and I will spend how I want to. You do the same.

Vises have the same drawback as clamps (see previous post).

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to russellseaton1@yahoo.com on Sun Sep 26 21:17:38 2021
    On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 8:47:58 PM UTC-5, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:

Bob

Clamping allows unencumbered access to one side at a time and you have to clamp and unclamp to get to other sides. The vac sys allows unencumbered access to 5 out of 6 sides by rotating and tilting and its much faster to secure and release than fiddling
    with clamps. Yes, I have plenty of good dog hole clamps and gadgets and I know what I am talking about.

That's the story for sanding. If you apply finish with a brush or wipe on, clamping really doesn't work, so you have to use some kind of hanger or spikes to support the work and its not held firmly. The vac sys holds the work firmly with free access to
    5 out of 6 sides. You can rotate and tilt the piece so the side to which you are apply finish is always horizontal (minimizing drips and runs while applying).

I find I can go about my work without thinking about clamping approach. Its just more fun.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 26 21:20:16 2021
    On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 9:27:10 PM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
    On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:19:32 -0400, J. Clarke
    <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com" ><ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bob

I like the price of my patternmaker's vice, my dad bought if from JI
    Case for $50 for it also came with a nice bench.

Good for you

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 27 03:28:22 2021
    Apologies to all for getting thin skinned about this topic and others' reaction to it. My original post was meant to share my enjoyment, not say "look what this can do, you should get one". It would be silly to spend so much money on a tool that only
    makes sanding a little more comfortable.

Value is an enigmatic issue. In my world, I have always abhorred repetitive, mindless work or work that involves getting in uncomfortable positions. I hate painting, working on car exhaust systems, plumbing, and mowing the lawn.

In woodworking, clamping and holding are terms used interchangeably. Clamping is used where force is necessary for gluing. There is no substitute. Holding is different altogether. It's the setup time for holding and having to readjust it that I really
    hate. The Festool Vac sys is not a clamp - it is a holding tool. It can be adapted for thousands of little holding jobs and do it more conveniently and/or faster. It is not a big game changer. It does tiny little things that save bits of time and
    repetition. I appreciate and pay willingly for it. Most people will choose not to.

That's fine, but please don't steal my joy.

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Bob Davis on Mon Sep 27 09:06:23 2021
    On 9/27/2021 5:28 AM, Bob Davis wrote:
    Apologies to all for getting thin skinned about this topic and others' reaction to it. My original post was meant to share my enjoyment, not say "look what this can do, you should get one". It would be silly to spend so much money on a tool that only
    makes sanding a little more comfortable.

Value is an enigmatic issue. In my world, I have always abhorred repetitive, mindless work or work that involves getting in uncomfortable positions. I hate painting, working on car exhaust systems, plumbing, and mowing the lawn.

In woodworking, clamping and holding are terms used interchangeably. Clamping is used where force is necessary for gluing. There is no substitute. Holding is different altogether. It's the setup time for holding and having to readjust it that I really
    hate. The Festool Vac sys is not a clamp - it is a holding tool. It can be adapted for thousands of little holding jobs and do it more conveniently and/or faster. It is not a big game changer. It does tiny little things that save bits of time and
    repetition. I appreciate and pay willingly for it. Most people will choose not to.

That's fine, but please don't steal my joy.

Bob

It seems that there are Monday morning quarter backs in every crowd.

I put more faith in the opinions from those that actually build and show
    their work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Pawlowski@21:1/5 to Bob Davis on Mon Sep 27 15:50:42 2021
    On 9/26/2021 8:20 PM, Bob Davis wrote:

Bob

I see a potential serious problem. Looks like an Nike swish on the
    sweat socks and you have New Balance sneakers. That can hold you back
    on product endorsement contracts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to wrober...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 27 13:47:46 2021
    On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 8:21:01 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:

Bob

Nice!

Did you use the Vac Sys to hold the parts you made for the jig that holds the Vac Sys? ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Clarke@21:1/5 to Ed Pawlowski on Mon Sep 27 18:49:19 2021
    On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:50:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

Bob

Never gonna be an influencer that way.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 27 17:30:31 2021
    On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 3:47:49 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 8:21:01 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:

Bob
    Nice!

Did you use the Vac Sys to hold the parts you made for the jig that holds the Vac Sys? ;-)

Actually, I did! I set it on top of the assembly table to test it, then set about building the jig set up. I had not planned on using the vac sys until the jig was complete. When it was time for finishing, I slapped my forehead and ended up doing all the
    sanding and three coats of poly while they were held by the vac sys. The parts ranged from small pieces to a 54" x 11" piece of plywood. In the past, I would have used doghole clamps and bench cookies. Honestly, this started opening my eyes to the
    possibilities.

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Davis@21:1/5 to Ed Pawlowski on Mon Sep 27 17:18:14 2021
    On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:50:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bob

Ha! I am retired, so I quit worrying about conflicting contracts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05