• Air compressor, yeh or neh?

From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 29 02:13:55 2022
    I was thinking about buying the following "Performax" 8 gallon air
    compressor from Menards. Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for
    their products. Maybe someone here has bought one?

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/air-compressors/performax-reg-8-gallon-150-psi-portable-electric-horizontal-air-compressor/300811/p-1444423541383.htm

On the positive side, it's price is competitive (on sale for about
    $130), and it has a 2-year warranty.

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try
    some HVLP painting or other uses.

I was planning to accompany it with a 3/8" rubber hose (~$30).

Note: "Husky" is the same price range, Kobalt is higher (and Lowes
    doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it
    would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just
    as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and
    98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Bill on Fri Apr 29 13:13:01 2022
    On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 2:14:01 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/air-compressors/performax-reg-8-gallon-150-psi-portable-electric-horizontal-air-compressor/300811/p-1444423541383.htm

TIA!
    Bill

First, let's address the size issue.

The Performax is 32" L x 14 1/2" W. My 6 gallon PC pancake is 16" in diameter. Seems like the pancake takes up much less floor space than the unit you are looking at.

Service after the sale? I'm not sure why you expect much "service after the sale"
    from Menards or Lowes. *Maybe* if Menards has them in stock you might be able return it and buy new within their standard return period, but I don't think either store
    provides anything in the way of repair services on low-end compressors or even much help in finding parts or service.

I looked around a bit and there isn't much info out there on that unit. On the other hand,
    parts are readily available for my PC C2002. Maybe you can find parts below as there
    are a couple of other-branded compressors that look very much like the Powermax.

https://mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-parts-by-brand-c-271.html

HVLP use? That will depend on how often and how big of a job(s). I read that a minimum
    of 10 g is needed but I've also read that if you don't mind stressing your unit out, you could
    get by with a smaller one. I'm sure that there are other folks here that can speak to that in
    more detail.

As far as sitting there 98% of the time, I used to say the same thing about mine - until I
    made it easier to use.

I have a retractable hose reel hanging from the garage ceiling and I ran PEX from
    the garage down to my basement shop. I have air in the shop for nail guns, blow guns, etc. With the garage hose reel and a couple of extra hoses, I almost never
    have to move the compressor whether I'm using it in the garage, driveway, shop, backyard or even in the house hanging trim. I use it a lot more often than I did
    when I had to pull everything out, carry it around, etc. All I have to do now is turn
    it on.

My compressor sits under a counter in my garage, plugged and piped in, so it's not in the way and readily available when I need it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to teamarrows@eznet.net on Fri Apr 29 20:24:49 2022
    DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net> writes:

HVLP use? That will depend on how often and how big of a job(s). I read that a minimum
    of 10 g is needed but I've also read that if you don't mind stressing your unit out, you could
    get by with a smaller one. I'm sure that there are other folks here that can speak to that in
    more detail.

It's not so much the volume of the tank that matters for HVLP. A standard
    HVLP gun will require between 15 and 26 CFM delivered. About 10 times
    what your PC pancake will provide.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 29 22:38:27 2022
    On 4/29/2022 4:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

TIA!
    Bill

The Performax is 32" L x 14 1/2" W. My 6 gallon PC pancake is 16" in diameter.
    Seems like the pancake takes up much less floor space than the unit you are looking at.

Service after the sale? I'm not sure why you expect much "service after the sale"
    from Menards or Lowes. *Maybe* if Menards has them in stock you might be able return it and buy new within their standard return period, but I don't think either store
    provides anything in the way of repair services on low-end compressors or even
    much help in finding parts or service.

I looked around a bit and there isn't much info out there on that unit. On the other hand,
    parts are readily available for my PC C2002. Maybe you can find parts below as there
    are a couple of other-branded compressors that look very much like the Powermax.

more detail.

As far as sitting there 98% of the time, I used to say the same thing about mine - until I
    made it easier to use.

I have a retractable hose reel hanging from the garage ceiling and I ran PEX from
    the garage down to my basement shop. I have air in the shop for nail guns, blow
    guns, etc. With the garage hose reel and a couple of extra hoses, I almost never
    have to move the compressor whether I'm using it in the garage, driveway, shop,
    backyard or even in the house hanging trim. I use it a lot more often than I did
    when I had to pull everything out, carry it around, etc. All I have to do now is turn
    it on.

My compressor sits under a counter in my garage, plugged and piped in, so it's
    not in the way and readily available when I need it.

Thank you for your reply! I will look at them side by side before I
    make up my mind.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Bill on Fri Apr 29 20:30:05 2022
    On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 10:38:33 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

Seems like the pancake takes up much less floor space than the unit you are looking at.

from Menards or Lowes. *Maybe* if Menards has them in stock you might be able
    return it and buy new within their standard return period, but I don't think either store

more detail.

made it easier to use.

guns, etc. With the garage hose reel and a couple of extra hoses, I almost never
    backyard or even in the house hanging trim. I use it a lot more often than I did
    it on.

make up my mind.

Make it quick...that sale ends tomorrow, doesn't it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 00:10:34 2022
    On 4/29/2022 11:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it >>>> would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

Seems like the pancake takes up much less floor space than the unit you are >>> looking at.

return it and buy new within their standard return period, but I don't think either store

more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

Yes! ;) BTW, According to Lowes' web site, an 8 gallon compressor can
    do HVLP, but surely not at "pro speeds"... I should look at the specs of
    actual tools at (I won't say "where"-ha). The P-C 6 gallon has
    "established quality", and is $169 too! Hose extra! : ) I remember
    Lew Hodgett advising not to go with a 1/4" hose. I was lining up all
    sorts of "yard work" for tomorrow, I hadn't even thought about shopping.
    Thanks for reminding me about the sale ending.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Bill on Fri Apr 29 21:53:07 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 12:10:42 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
    compressor from Menards. Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>> their products. Maybe someone here has bought one?

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it >>>> would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just >>>> as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and

TIA!
    Bill

Seems like the pancake takes up much less floor space than the unit you are
    looking at.

https://mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-parts-by-brand-c-271.html >>>
    more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

do HVLP, but surely not at "pro speeds"... I should look at the specs of actual tools at (I won't say "where"-ha). The P-C 6 gallon has
    sorts of "yard work" for tomorrow, I hadn't even thought about shopping. Thanks for reminding me about the sale ending.

For $199, Lowes has a Craftsman which looks and specs suspiciously
    exactly like my PC C2002, and includes a hose and brad nailer.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-6-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-1-Tools-Included/1000595143

I got my PC combo kit with hose and 2 nail guns (16g and 18g), brand new
    In the box, for $175 on Craigslist. Some guy’s housemate moved out, said he’d be back for it. 2 months later the guy wanted it out of his garage so he
    listed it and I grabbed it.

BTW if whatever you buy comes with the wing-nut type drain valve that you
    have to turn 10 times to open, replace it with a quarter turn ball valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-BTFP72327-Ball-Drain-Valve/dp/B00HXD2UZA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 01:41:06 2022
    On 4/30/2022 12:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW if whatever you buy comes with the wing-nut type drain valve that you have to turn 10 times to open, replace it with a quarter turn ball valve.

Thank you! I added it to my "wish list" so I can find it again.
    I guess that's why I don't have an air compressor already, the search
    wears me down. I noticed that the 8-gallon size (5.2 CFM at 40, 4.2 CFM
    at 90) gets you into the "impact wrench" range, and some specially
    designed paint guns (designed for smaller compressors). My dad used to
    say "..you have champagne tastes and a beer budget."

I will say that I enjoy my power washer,
    as it assisted me in repainting my deck last summer. I'm looking
    forward to washing off the "new mold" (from the "trex"-like floor
    boards), as part of my "spring cleaning". It's a real winner for that!
    I have done it by hand in the past, and there is no comparison.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim@21:1/5 to Bill on Sat Apr 30 05:49:23 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 1:41:12 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
    On 4/30/2022 12:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW if whatever you buy comes with the wing-nut type drain valve that you have to turn 10 times to open, replace it with a quarter turn ball valve.

Thank you! I added it to my "wish list" so I can find it again.
    I guess that's why I don't have an air compressor already, the search
    wears me down. I noticed that the 8-gallon size (5.2 CFM at 40, 4.2 CFM
    at 90) gets you into the "impact wrench" range, and some specially
    designed paint guns (designed for smaller compressors). My dad used to
    say "..you have champagne tastes and a beer budget."

I will say that I enjoy my power washer,
    as it assisted me in repainting my deck last summer. I'm looking
    forward to washing off the "new mold" (from the "trex"-like floor
    boards), as part of my "spring cleaning". It's a real winner for that!
    I have done it by hand in the past, and there is no comparison.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim@21:1/5 to Jim on Sat Apr 30 05:24:56 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 8:18:09 AM UTC-4, Jim wrote:
    I had a PC for years and it was fine. I handed it down to my son and bought myself a California compressor. This is the best thing I ever did. It is whisper quiet. If you have to be in the same room with your compressor, trust me, it can become really
    annoying. I've had this one for several years now with no problems. I don't know what they sell for now, but I do know they're more expensive than what's available in a big box store. But I honestly believe the level of sound is well worth every penny.

Well I don't have it as well plugged in as the previous poster, I do also have the hose reel which is great.
    This is what I bought:
    https://tinyurl.com/y4b5zj32

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 05:18:06 2022
    I had a PC for years and it was fine. I handed it down to my son and bought myself a California compressor. This is the best thing I ever did. It is whisper quiet. If you have to be in the same room with your compressor, trust me, it can become really
    annoying. I've had this one for several years now with no problems. I don't know what they sell for now, but I do know they're more expensive than what's available in a big box store. But I honestly believe the level of sound is well worth every penny.

Well I don't have it as well plugged in as the previous poster, I do also have the hose reel which is great.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sonny@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 06:51:06 2022
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to be similar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doesn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some stores
    http://www.shopaircompressors.com/product/central-pneumatic-2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-compressor

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an extension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directly into a socket.

On an in-house upholstery job I bought the Harbor Freight unit for such road trips. I had thought the unit was defective, didn't run properly, when I tried using an extension cord. I was later informed to not use an extension cord. I had bought
    the second HF compressor for my satellite upholstery shop across town. Both are used moderately to often, for the past 5 yrs or so, and still working fine. I've never tried finish spraying with these, as I have a 25 gal. Campbell Hausfeld for that.

If your purchase is used similarly as I've use the HFs, then it should last a good long time for you.

My hose fittings always developed air leaks, which bugs the heck out of me. Someone recently told me to oil my fittings, when oiling my tools.... I haven't oiled them yet. Supposedly oiling helps reduce the fitting's air leaks. Was told to apply
    air tool oil from the pressure side of the coupling.

Sonny

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Sonny on Sat Apr 30 08:51:33 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 9:51:09 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to be similar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doesn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some stores
    http://www.shopaircompressors.com/product/central-pneumatic-2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-compressor

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an extension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directly into a socket.

On an in-house upholstery job I bought the Harbor Freight unit for such road trips. I had thought the unit was defective, didn't run properly, when I tried using an extension cord. I was later informed to not use an extension cord. I had bought the
    second HF compressor for my satellite upholstery shop across town. Both are used moderately to often, for the past 5 yrs or so, and still working fine. I've never tried finish spraying with these, as I have a 25 gal. Campbell Hausfeld for that.

If your purchase is used similarly as I've use the HFs, then it should last a good long time for you.

My hose fittings always developed air leaks, which bugs the heck out of me. Someone recently told me to oil my fittings, when oiling my tools.... I haven't oiled them yet. Supposedly oiling helps reduce the fitting's air leaks. Was told to apply air
    tool oil from the pressure side of the coupling.

Sonny

I run my PC on a 6' extension cord all the time. However, it's coiled up a little
    so I'm really only using about 3 feet of it. Maybe that makes a difference. ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to teamarrows@eznet.net on Sat Apr 30 11:53:24 2022
    On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:30:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
    <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >> >> some HVLP painting or other uses.

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >> >> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

looking at.

more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

You have to weigh the availability of parts vs the likelihood of
    needing parts. A good compressor may last 45 years without requiring a
    single part. For most guys on here that's a "lifetime purchace". A
    cheaper (not necessarily less expensive) unit may need parts every 5
    years. And guess which one will LIKELY have parts available 10 years
    from now? How about 20?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Bill on Sat Apr 30 11:14:17 2022
    On 4/29/2022 1:13 AM, Bill wrote:

compressor from Menards.  Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for
    their products.  Maybe someone here has bought one?

TIA!
    Bill

Maintenance free. It's a throw away unit when something goes wrong.
    And it will likely be noisy. And what will you use it for? Pool toys?
    A nail gun? It is not even large enough to blow our your shop with
    out running continuously.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 11:59:57 2022
    On 4/30/2022 10:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On an in-house upholstery job I bought the Harbor Freight unit for such road trips. I had thought the unit was defective, didn't run properly, when I tried using an extension cord. I was later informed to not use an extension cord. I had bought the
    second HF compressor for my satellite upholstery shop across town. Both are used moderately to often, for the past 5 yrs or so, and still working fine. I've never tried finish spraying with these, as I have a 25 gal. Campbell Hausfeld for that.

My hose fittings always developed air leaks, which bugs the heck out of me. Someone recently told me to oil my fittings, when oiling my tools.... I haven't oiled them yet. Supposedly oiling helps reduce the fitting's air leaks. Was told to apply air

Sonny

I run my PC on a 6' extension cord all the time. However, it's coiled up a little

No, you are using all 6' LOL. That is likely not long enough to
    present any voltage drop at the compressor.

My larger 25 gal compressor will not run on a long extension cord but
    runs fine on a 6' 12 gauge extension cord.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Sat Apr 30 12:01:20 2022
    On 4/30/2022 10:53 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

compressor from Menards. Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>>> their products. Maybe someone here has bought one?

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it >>>>> would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just >>>>> as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>>>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

looking at.

more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

from now? How about 20?

Good points but for a $130 compressor it is likely that repairs would be
    more than replacement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to Sonny on Sat Apr 30 17:16:55 2022
    Sonny <cedarsonny@aol.com> writes:
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to be simi= >lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s= >tores >http://www.shopaircompressors.com/product/central-pneumatic-2-hp-8-gallon-1= >25-psi-portable-air-compressor

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an ext= >ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl= >y into a socket. =20

If you have a 12AWG extension cord, it will work just fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Clarke@21:1/5 to Bill on Sat Apr 30 13:31:37 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:10:34 -0400, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

compressor from Menards. Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>>> their products. Maybe someone here has bought one?

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it >>>>> would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just >>>>> as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>>>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

looking at.

more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

do HVLP, but surely not at "pro speeds"... I should look at the specs of >actual tools at (I won't say "where"-ha). The P-C 6 gallon has

You can do it for a bit until the tank runs down, then have to wait
    for pressure to build back up. Whether this is an issue depends on
    what you are working on. Small boxes, not really an issue. Doing the
    whole house it's a problem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Clarke@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 13:39:21 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:51:06 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedarsonny@aol.com>
    wrote:

On an in-house upholstery job I bought the Harbor Freight unit for such road trips. I had thought the unit was defective, didn't run properly, when I tried using an extension cord. I was later informed to not use an extension cord.

What kind of extension cord were you using? I've never had any
    problem with any kind of 110v wall-plug power tool with my 10 gage 100
    ft cord. But most people don't have 10 gage extension cords, they
    have 14 or 16 gage.

I had bought the second HF compressor for my satellite upholstery shop across town. Both are used moderately to often, for the past 5 yrs or so, and still working fine. I've never tried finish spraying with these, as I have a 25 gal. Campbell
    Hausfeld for that.

My hose fittings always developed air leaks, which bugs the heck out of me. Someone recently told me to oil my fittings, when oiling my tools.... I haven't oiled them yet. Supposedly oiling helps reduce the fitting's air leaks. Was told to apply
    air tool oil from the pressure side of the coupling.

Sonny

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sonny@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 10:56:55 2022
    Yeah, I had tried a typical off-the-shelf cord, probably 14g at most. At the time I didn't know any better. I was told, back then, to get/make a larger cord.

Another time I thought the compressor had failed or was faulty, I researched the different parts and functions, trying to determine which part I needed to replace. Come to find out the female coupling was clogged or stuck closed.

Sonny

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 16:08:20 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:14:17 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
    wrote:

TIA!
    Bill

I burned one out installing my hardwood flooring (less than 300 aq ft
    of prefinished ash) What a noisy piece of crap that thing was - can't
    remember what name it had on it but it was an american brand name on a
    chunk of Chinese crap.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 16:11:12 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:59:57 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
    wrote:

Sonny

No, you are using all 6' LOL. That is likely not long enough to

My "shop compressor" in the garage had trouble starting on the 20
    amp 120 volt outlet (about 15 ft of #12 from the panel) so I rewired
    it for 220. Starts even in the cold now without dimming the lights or
    tripping the breaker.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to teamarrows@eznet.net on Sat Apr 30 16:05:29 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:51:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Sonny

A #14 cord less than 25 ft long should be a non-issue. Better yet, a
    #12. A 50 ft #16 will not rerliably start an induction or cap start
    motor rated much over 10 ampa (some 8 amp motors won't start on a 16
    gauge cord either)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 16:17:09 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:01:20 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
    wrote:

On 4/30/2022 10:53 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I was thinking about buying the following "Performax" 8 gallon air >>>>>> compressor from Menards. Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>>>> their products. Maybe someone here has bought one?

On the positive side, it's price is competitive (on sale for about >>>>>> $130), and it has a 2-year warranty.

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

Note: "Husky" is the same price range, Kobalt is higher (and Lowes >>>>>> doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it >>>>>> would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just >>>>>> as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>>>>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

looking at.

https://mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-parts-by-brand-c-271.html >>>>>
    more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

from now? How about 20?

Good points but for a $130 compressor it is likely that repairs would be
    more than replacement.

The "good one" will definitely be more than $130. My "little"
    compressor is $399 on sale at Canadian tire. I would have done without
    - using the big compressor in the garage (like I did to finish my
    hardwood installation after I burned out the "hamburger") but somebody
    was throwing this one away - looked brand new - in a rage he had cut
    off the cord and stolen the quick connect - I tookit home and found a
    poor crimp on the connector on the switch - I had a cord salvaged off something else so it onlyu cost me about $12 for the quick connect. I
    am sure if he had just returned it to Canadian Tire they would have
    replaced it under warranty - - -

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to jclarke.873638@gmail.com on Sat Apr 30 16:25:15 2022
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:31:37 -0400, J. Clarke
    <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:

I was thinking about buying the following "Performax" 8 gallon air >>>>>> compressor from Menards. Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>>>> their products. Maybe someone here has bought one?

On the positive side, it's price is competitive (on sale for about >>>>>> $130), and it has a 2-year warranty.

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

Note: "Husky" is the same price range, Kobalt is higher (and Lowes >>>>>> doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so it >>>>>> would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just >>>>>> as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>>>>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

looking at.

more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

do HVLP, but surely not at "pro speeds"... I should look at the specs of >>actual tools at (I won't say "where"-ha). The P-C 6 gallon has >>"established quality", and is $169 too! Hose extra! : ) I remember

Even painting a bicycle it's a problem - - - It will handle an air
    brush - possibly a standard "touch-up" gun

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to J. Clarke on Sat Apr 30 16:30:16 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 1:39:25 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:51:06 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedar...@aol.com>
    wrote:

On an in-house upholstery job I bought the Harbor Freight unit for such road trips. I had thought the unit was defective, didn't run properly, when I tried using an extension cord. I was later informed to not use an extension cord.
    have 14 or 16 gage.

I have a couple of 12 g extension cords. Except for a couple of indoor lamp cord style, all the other "tool related" ones are 14.

Well, I have one 10 g, but that's for my generator inlet.

The 12 g ones were basically free. When my son was a teenager, he was
    helping some guy with more money than brains clean out his garage. When
    I went to pick him up I saw a 25 ft 12 g extension cord, on a reel, in the garbage
    pile. It looked brand new. I asked my son about it and he said that it was cut. I
    told him to grab it.

A couple of hours later, shopping included, I had a 6' 12 g extension cord and a
    19' 12 g extension cord. I still use them all the time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Leon on Sat Apr 30 16:35:01 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 1:00:06 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Sonny

No, you are using all 6' LOL.

I hope you didn't think I was serious.

That is likely not long enough to

14 g, works fine,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to Sonny on Sat Apr 30 22:44:16 2022
    On 4/30/2022 9:51 AM, Sonny wrote:

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an extension cord to power the Performance.
    Hmm.. I noticed someone was having trouble operating the Husky brand of
    the same compressor with an extension cord, and that was one of the
    reasons I ruled it out. I think it's time to consult the owners
    manual--before the purchase! Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to Scott Lurndal on Sat Apr 30 22:55:26 2022
    On 4/30/2022 1:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to be simi= >> lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s= >> tores
    http://www.shopaircompressors.com/product/central-pneumatic-2-hp-8-gallon-1= >> 25-psi-portable-air-compressor

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an ext= >> ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl= >> y into a socket. =20

I was planning to use my 50' 12AWG, but I could get by with 25'.
    I have a 15 footer too, thinking I had my bases covered-so, so much for
    that notion! ; )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 30 22:59:00 2022
    On 4/30/2022 7:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 1:39:25 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:51:06 -0700 (PDT), Sonny <cedar...@aol.com>
    wrote:

have 14 or 16 gage.

I have a couple of 12 g extension cords. Except for a couple of indoor lamp cord style, all the other "tool related" ones are 14.

Well, I have one 10 g, but that's for my generator inlet.

The 12 g ones were basically free. When my son was a teenager, he was
    helping some guy with more money than brains clean out his garage. When
    I went to pick him up I saw a 25 ft 12 g extension cord, on a reel, in the garbage
    pile. It looked brand new. I asked my son about it and he said that it was cut. I
    told him to grab it.

A couple of hours later, shopping included, I had a 6' 12 g extension cord and a
    19' 12 g extension cord. I still use them all the time.

And it just *feels better* to use something you salvaged and "built"
    like that! It gives it a little meaning.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to Leon on Sat Apr 30 23:08:53 2022
    On 4/30/2022 12:14 PM, Leon wrote:

TIA!
    Bill

Maintenance free.   It's a throw away unit when something goes wrong.
    And it will likely be noisy.  And what will you use it for?  Pool toys?
     A nail gun?

The first application is "inflating tires". Sandblasting would be cool,
    but surely demands more air.

It is not even large enough to blow our your shop with

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Bill on Sat Apr 30 20:58:33 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 10:44:21 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
    On 4/30/2022 9:51 AM, Sonny wrote:

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an extension cord to power the Performance.
    Hmm.. I noticed someone was having trouble operating the Husky brand of
    the same compressor with an extension cord, and that was one of the
    reasons I ruled it out. I think it's time to consult the owners manual--before the purchase! Thanks.

Time to put in a new receptacle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Bill on Sat Apr 30 21:06:05 2022
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 11:08:59 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >> some HVLP painting or other uses.

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

A nail gun?

I have used my 8 gal to “sandblast” using walnut shells from Harbor
    Freight and this homemade device. You do have to pause for it to refill
    quite often, but it works.

https://youtu.be/k6L_ArXCbYs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to Scott Lurndal on Sun May 1 04:01:10 2022
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to be simi= >> lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s= >> tores
    http://www.shopaircompressors.com/product/central-pneumatic-2-hp-8-gallon-1= >> 25-psi-portable-air-compressor

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an ext= >> ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl= >> y into a socket. =20

I looked at the "Owners Manual".
    It said, "Avoid extension cords whenever possible, but if one must be
    used it should be a minimum wire size 12AWG and no longer than 30-feet. Whenever possible, use a longer air hose instead of an extension cord".

It also mentioned that you "shouldn't spray flammable liquids in a
    confined space" as sparks from the compressor could cause problems (I
    forget the exact words). I confess, I'm a sucker for a good owners
    manual! ; )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 1 03:31:04 2022
    On 5/1/2022 12:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 11:08:59 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

A nail gun?

I have used my 8 gal to “sandblast” using walnut shells from Harbor Freight and this homemade device. You do have to pause for it to refill
    quite often, but it works.

https://youtu.be/k6L_ArXCbYs

Thank you, I enjoyed the video! It has almost 3 million up-votes on
    YouTube!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Bill on Sun May 1 09:12:27 2022
    On 5/1/2022 3:01 AM, Bill wrote:
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to
    be simi=
    lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2  of.    Harbor
    Freight doe=
    sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in
    some s=
    tores
    http://www.shopaircompressors.com/product/central-pneumatic-2-hp-8-gallon-1=

25-psi-portable-air-compressor

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use
    an ext=
    ension cord to power the Performance.   It likely has to be plugged
    directl=
    y into a socket.  =20

used it should be a minimum wire size 12AWG and no longer than 30-feet. Whenever possible, use a longer air hose instead of an extension cord".

forget the exact words).  I confess, I'm a sucker for a good owners manual!  ; )

No spraying of flammable liquids in a confined space. DAMN!!!!

Earlier this year I bought a small, rechargeable battery, pruning shears.

The instructions explicitly said to not "grill" the batteries. I have
    to say I was disappointed. I was looking forward to some grilled
    veggies and rechargeable batteries for dinner. ;~)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 1 09:06:53 2022
    On 4/30/2022 6:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 1:00:06 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Sonny

No, you are using all 6' LOL.

I hope you didn't think I was serious.

No, did you miss my LOL? LOL

That is likely not long enough to

14 g, works fine,

Great

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Bill on Sun May 1 07:34:17 2022
    On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 4:01:16 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
    Sonny <cedar...@aol.com> writes:
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to be simi=
    lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s=
    tores

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use an ext=
    ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl= >> y into a socket. =20

So, riddle me this:

Does the manual saying anything about the house wiring?

Why is OK to run the compressor on a 50'+ run of 14 g Romex (from the
    panel to the receptacle) but not on a 50'+ 14 g extension cord from a receptacle that's 1' from the panel?

Essentially all sources discuss the size and length of extension cords,
    but they don't discuss the house wiring. Without knowing anything about
    size and length of he house wiring, how can they set a spec for the size
    and length of the extension cord?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to J. Clarke on Sun May 1 09:16:36 2022
    On 4/30/2022 12:31 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

TIA!
    Bill

looking at.

more detail.

made it easier to use.

it on.

make up my mind.

do HVLP, but surely not at "pro speeds"... I should look at the specs of
    actual tools at (I won't say "where"-ha). The P-C 6 gallon has

I suppose "a bit" is a description of 3~4 seconds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Sun May 1 09:38:25 2022
    On 4/30/2022 3:08 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
    On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:14:17 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
    wrote:

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

I burned one out installing my hardwood flooring (less than 300 aq ft
    of prefinished ash) What a noisy piece of crap that thing was - can't remember what name it had on it but it was an american brand name on a
    chunk of Chinese crap.

My second compressor was a Craftsman 30 gal oilless. It lasted about 2
    hours. It was recharging and as I stood there I was watching and
    noticing a loud clatter developing. Then I saw the piston come through
    the cylinder wall. Oddly the piston had no skirt. That probably
    explains the short life span.

Oiled from now on. My current compress or is a twin cyl oil style. It
    is about 26 years old. I have had to replace the pressure
    regulator/switch and a head gasket/reed valve.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Bill on Sun May 1 09:41:42 2022
    On 4/30/2022 10:08 PM, Bill wrote:

doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so
    it would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and >>> 98% of the time it will just be sitting there doing just that.

TIA!
    Bill

Maintenance free.   It's a throw away unit when something goes wrong.
    And it will likely be noisy.  And what will you use it for?  Pool
    toys?   A nail gun?

The first application is "inflating tires".  Sandblasting would be cool,

I'm going to say both operations will likely take quite some time with
    an 8 gallon tank.

Tires typically hold more air than an 8 gallon tank. If the tire is
    flat, with a slightly fast leak, GOOD LUCK. Sand blasting probably not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 1 09:58:12 2022
    On 5/1/2022 9:34 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >>>> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s=
    tores

ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl= >>>> y into a socket. =20

used it should be a minimum wire size 12AWG and no longer than 30-feet.
    Whenever possible, use a longer air hose instead of an extension cord".

So, riddle me this:

panel to the receptacle) but not on a 50'+ 14 g extension cord from a receptacle that's 1' from the panel?

Probably because you have 50' of unusable extension already. If you
    could move your receptacle to anywhere, that might be OK. In many cases
    the larger compressors suggest using 20 amp receptacles. Technically
    you are actually running 100' of 14 gauge with a 50 14 gauge extension.
    The length is important. If you have a 14 gauge in very close
    proximity of the breaker, you might be able to use a 14 gauge extension
    cord.

Manuals probably assume you have already got 50' of romex/extension to
    start with.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Markem618@21:1/5 to teamarrows@eznet.net on Sun May 1 11:55:04 2022
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 07:34:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >> >> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s=
    tores

ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl=
    y into a socket. =20

So, riddle me this:

panel to the receptacle) but not on a 50'+ 14 g extension cord from a >receptacle that's 1' from the panel?

CYA at its best.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to Leon on Sun May 1 16:28:52 2022
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 09:41:42 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

TIA!
    Bill

And it will likely be noisy. And what will you use it for? Pool
    toys? A nail gun?

an 8 gallon tank.

8 gallons of air at 120psi is about 24 gallons of air at 40 PSI or 36
    gallons at 30 psi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Sun May 1 16:00:12 2022
    On 5/1/2022 3:28 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

compressor from Menards.  Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>>> their products.  Maybe someone here has bought one?

TIA!
    Bill

Maintenance free.   It's a throw away unit when something goes wrong. >>>> And it will likely be noisy.  And what will you use it for?  Pool
    toys?   A nail gun?

The first application is "inflating tires".  Sandblasting would be cool, >>> but surely demands more air.

an 8 gallon tank.

gallons at 30 psi

Assuming the compressor does not come on until it gets to those lower pressures. But on a very low tire or flat the compressor will likely
    run continuously, and fill slowly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to Leon on Sun May 1 19:43:21 2022
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 16:00:12 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

Note: "Husky" is the same price range, Kobalt is higher (and Lowes >>>>>> doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so >>>>>> it would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

TIA!
    Bill

Maintenance free. It's a throw away unit when something goes wrong. >>>>> And it will likely be noisy. And what will you use it for? Pool
    toys? A nail gun?

The first application is "inflating tires". Sandblasting would be cool, >>>> but surely demands more air.

an 8 gallon tank.

flat, with a slightly fast leak, GOOD LUCK. Sand blasting probably not. >>>

gallons at 30 psi

Assuming the compressor does not come on until it gets to those lower >pressures. But on a very low tire or flat the compressor will likely
    With no compressor a 25 lb prpane tank used as an "air pig" will
    inflate a 225/70 16 inch tire to almost 30PSI if you start with the
    pig at 125 or 150 psi as long as the bead isn't unseated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Leon on Sun May 1 16:21:28 2022
    On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 10:58:22 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
    lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >>>> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s=
    tores

y into a socket. =20

So, riddle me this:

Probably because you have 50' of unusable extension already. If you
    could move your receptacle to anywhere, that might be OK. In many cases
    the larger compressors suggest using 20 amp receptacles. Technically
    you are actually running 100' of 14 gauge with a 50 14 gauge extension.
    The length is important. If you have a 14 gauge in very close
    proximity of the breaker, you might be able to use a 14 gauge extension
    cord.

"The length is important." That's precisely my point.

The manual for my PC pancake says: "If an extension cord must be used,
    be sure it is no longer than 50 feet, 14 gauge (AWG) or larger."

What length of house wiring did PC use when they granted me another 50'?

If I plug my compressor into my shop receptacles, I'm plugging in ~30' from the panel, Romex length wise. If I take it out back and plug it into my shed, it's close
    to 100'. Where it lives in the garage, it's roughly half way between those 2 lengths.

As a matter of fact, I have another receptacle at least 20' from the shed, wired
    from the shed. Am I still allowed 50' at 120'+ from the panel? Nothing in the manual says I'm not, so I guess I'm good to go.

Where does it end? Well, I know where ends: It ends about 1" before the compressor fails. ;-)

My point is that the extension cord length specification in the manual is basically
    useless without knowing what length they are using for the wiring to the receptacle.

but they don't discuss the house wiring. Without knowing anything about size and length of he house wiring, how can they set a spec for the size and length of the extension cord?
    Manuals probably assume you have already got 50' of romex/extension to
    start with.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Sun May 1 21:06:33 2022
    On 5/1/2022 6:43 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 16:00:12 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

I was thinking about buying the following "Performax" 8 gallon air >>>>>>> compressor from Menards.  Unfortunately, users can't post reviews for >>>>>>> their products.  Maybe someone here has bought one?

On the positive side, it's price is competitive (on sale for about >>>>>>> $130), and it has a 2-year warranty.

Mainly I want it for inflating car tires, but if I owned it I might try >>>>>>> some HVLP painting or other uses.

Note: "Husky" is the same price range, Kobalt is higher (and Lowes >>>>>>> doesn't stock them in the store, since the arrival of Craftsman--so >>>>>>> it would be difficult to get "service after the sale").

Performance wise, the 6 gallon pancake style would probably work just >>>>>>> as well, buy they look like they occupy more (valuable) floor space, and

TIA!
    Bill

Maintenance free.   It's a throw away unit when something goes wrong. >>>>>> And it will likely be noisy.  And what will you use it for?  Pool >>>>>> toys?   A nail gun?

The first application is "inflating tires".  Sandblasting would be cool, >>>>> but surely demands more air.

I'm going to say both operations will likely take quite some time with >>>> an 8 gallon tank.

flat, with a slightly fast leak, GOOD LUCK. Sand blasting probably not. >>>>

gallons at 30 psi

Assuming the compressor does not come on until it gets to those lower
    pressures. But on a very low tire or flat the compressor will likely
    With no compressor a 25 lb prpane tank used as an "air pig" will
    inflate a 225/70 16 inch tire to almost 30PSI if you start with the
    pig at 125 or 150 psi as long as the bead isn't unseated.

I am not saying it cannot be done. But the compressor will kick on long
    before the tire is filled.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 01:33:34 2022

DerbyDad, You are a good salesman! Comparing one admittedly "low-end" compressor to another, the 8-gallon, 150-PSI, Performax at $133 seemed.
    to me, the best bang for the buck at this time. I picked it up, on the
    last day of the sale, the first thing this morning. I haven't put it
    together yet, but so far I learned the difference between an
    "Industrial", "Automotive" and "Universal" coupler--or, rather, at least
    I've learned the distinction! : )

Sonny, I bought some "(air) tool oil" on your recommendation. But the
    couple of references to it I have seen suggest it goes into the tool
    (and not the coupler). Maybe I just misunderstood what you wrote when I
    read it the first time.

A question I don't know the answer to is if *filters* are the norm for
    typical tool use--I wouldn't expect it to helpful for general inflation. Besides keeping water out of paint being sprayed, I perceive that the
    idea is to keep water out of the the tool (which is related to the
    reason to use a little oil).

Ah, Like a moth, I've always been attracted to "potential energy"! : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to teamarrows@eznet.net on Mon May 2 13:55:25 2022

Do you think, perhaps, that PC was perfectly aware that there
    is house wiring between the service entrance and the point at
    which the extension cord is plugged in? And took that into
    account when making their recommendation?

You can determine the resistance of your extension cord for
    the particular AWG involved, and calculate the voltage drop
    at the compressor, it's pretty simple math.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Bill on Mon May 2 08:15:48 2022
    On 5/2/2022 12:33 AM, Bill wrote:

DerbyDad, You are a good salesman!  Comparing one admittedly "low-end" compressor to another, the 8-gallon, 150-PSI, Performax at $133 seemed.
    to me, the best bang for the buck at this time.   I picked it up, on the last day of the sale, the first thing this morning. I haven't put it
    together yet, but so far I learned the difference between an

Sonny, I bought some "(air) tool oil" on your recommendation. But the
    couple of references to it I have seen suggest it goes into the tool
    (and not the coupler).  Maybe I just misunderstood what you wrote when I read it the first time.

A question I don't know the answer to is if *filters* are the norm for typical tool use--I wouldn't expect it to helpful for general inflation. Besides keeping water out of paint being sprayed, I perceive that the

Ah, Like a moth, I've always been attracted to "potential energy"! : )

Air tools require oil. At least the ones that spin or shoot nails. 2~3
    drops in the male end of the coupling on the tool.

Now having said that some nail guns are oil-less.

A filter will be helpful if you run the compressor a lot. Hot air
    inside the tank will tend to blow the humid air through the hose rather
    than let it, the moisture, build up/settle at the bottom of the tank.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to Leon on Mon May 2 13:57:55 2022
    Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> writes:
    On 5/2/2022 12:33 AM, Bill wrote:

A question I don't know the answer to is if *filters* are the norm for
    typical tool use--I wouldn't expect it to helpful for general inflation.
    Besides keeping water out of paint being sprayed, I perceive that the

A filter will be helpful if you run the compressor a lot. Hot air
    inside the tank will tend to blow the humid air through the hose rather
    than let it, the moisture, build up/settle at the bottom of the tank.

If you're using the compressor to drive a paint gun or HVLP gun, you
    really do want to filter out both any oil and any moisture.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to Bill on Mon May 2 13:56:55 2022
    Bill <nonegiven@att.net> writes:

but so far I learned the difference between an

I've found Milton 'M'-style couplers to be the best.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Scott Lurndal on Mon May 2 07:49:18 2022
    On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 9:55:30 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> writes:

How can you even ask that question after reading *my* question?

"What length of house wiring did PC use when they granted me another 50'?"

Isn't it obvious that I "think" PC took house wiring into account?

I see that not only didn't you address that question, you snipped the rest of my post. Did PC take my 30', 60', 100' or 120' into account? I have receptacles at all of those distances from the panel.

It's safe to assume that they took *some* number into account, but don't you see how that number impacts what they recommend as far as extension cord?
    If they used the 30' of house wiring then the math says I can use a 80' cord if my
    receptacle is right at the panel. If they used 120' then the math says I can use
    a 170' cord from that receptacle.

That maximum recommendation of 50' starts at the receptacle, yet they (nor anyone else) ever says how far that receptacle can be from the panel. Therefore any such recommendation is useless.

You can determine the resistance of your extension cord for
    the particular AWG involved, and calculate the voltage drop
    at the compressor, it's pretty simple math.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion. I'm asking about the *recommendation* of a maximum of a 50' extension cord without any reference to the location of the receptacle relative to the panel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to teamarrows@eznet.net on Mon May 2 16:53:46 2022

I see that not only didn't you address that question, you snipped the rest of >my post. Did PC take my 30', 60', 100' or 120' into account? I have receptacles
    at all of those distances from the panel.

Why don't you call their consumer line and ask them rather than speculate endlessly?

Clearly they cannot measure every single household in their
    target market(s). So they figure an average, lowball the in-house
    wiring (12AWG is more common for an outlet circuit than 14AWG,
    for example) by assuming some above average length of 14AWG
    from the service entrance to the receptacle and hence the suggestion
    of no more than 50' of 14AWG extension cord.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion. I'm asking about the *recommendation* of
    a maximum of a 50' extension cord without any reference to the location of the >receptacle relative to the panel.

Then the only way you'll get an answer is to ask the entity
    making the recommendation. Call them: 1 888 848 5175

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to Scott Lurndal on Mon May 2 12:27:53 2022
    On 5/2/2022 8:56 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    Bill <nonegiven@att.net> writes:

but so far I learned the difference between an

I've found Milton 'M'-style couplers to be the best.

Yes, and the Automotive world uses this type.

There is a difference between the female couplings. Guarded and non
    -guarded.

The guarded can be drug around a post or other stationary object with
    out it disconnecting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 13:18:46 2022
    tores

ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged directl= >>>> y into a socket. =20

So, riddle me this:

Another consideration, an extension cord adds at least one more
    connection that is a slide fit on both ends. That might introduce
    another source for resistance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DerbyDad03@21:1/5 to Scott Lurndal on Mon May 2 13:00:33 2022
    On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 12:53:51 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

What length of house wiring did PC use when they granted me another 50'? >> Do you think, perhaps, that PC was perfectly aware that there

I see that not only didn't you address that question, you snipped the rest of
    my post. Did PC take my 30', 60', 100' or 120' into account? I have receptacles
    at all of those distances from the panel.
    Why don't you call their consumer line and ask them rather than speculate endlessly?

Is that your way of admitting that your last post was worthless?

Clearly they cannot measure every single household in their
    target market(s). So they figure an average, lowball the in-house
    wiring (12AWG is more common for an outlet circuit than 14AWG,
    for example) by assuming some above average length of 14AWG
    from the service entrance to the receptacle and hence the suggestion
    of no more than 50' of 14AWG extension cord.

Fact or assumption?

Totally irrelevant to this discussion. I'm asking about the *recommendation* of
    a maximum of a 50' extension cord without any reference to the location of the
    receptacle relative to the panel.
    Then the only way you'll get an answer is to ask the entity
    making the recommendation. Call them: 1 888 848 5175

Email sent. Stay tuned.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill@21:1/5 to Bill on Tue May 10 12:27:23 2022
    On 4/29/2022 2:13 AM, Bill wrote:

Here is my update/review for anyone who may be interested. Others should
    skip to the next post. I bought some "air compressor tape" (slightly
    thicker TPFE than the usual stuff), since that's what the folks on the
    YouTube videos I watched were using.
    Assembly required about 4 different (non-metric) wrenches in all,
    ranging from 9/16" to 13/16" (pretty big!). The hacks on YouTube used
    "locking pliers"--ha, but admittedly one could probably save time that way.

It took about 5 minutes to open the plastic package of accessories
    without destructing some "helpful information" on the back, so including de-boxing, reading the manual, assembly, attaching connectors to the
    hose and 2 tools, and de-coiling the 50' hose it took about 90 minutes,
    but I wasn't hurrying.

The "oil-resistant rubber hose" seems to have a sticky coating (maybe
    that's the oil-resistant part?), so much so that you'll want to wash it
    off your hands sooner rather than later. But you don't need to touch it
    unless you are coiling the hose, and it was a non-issue during use.

Testing: The compressor worked exactly like it was supposed to. It had
    enough volume to satisfy me, but then it shut off and I inflated my
    tires in relative silence. It kicked on while bringing one tire from
    20-psi to 33-psi (that's the tire I want to "watch"--I think it's the
    wheel).
    In short, it was nice to be able to inflate my tires myself in the peace
    and quiet of my own driveway. If I had located a publicly available air compressor that was well-maintained then maybe I wouldn't have felt
    driven to take things into my own hands! The second to last time I went
    to Tires Plus to "top off my tires", the cashier doing the inflating was reading the metric scale on the gauge, and she had to go back and remove
    the extra air she added...I offered her plenty of hints that I thought
    she was off track while she was adding so much air. : (

So far, so good: 10/10. A bit "pricey", but not so bad in the whole
    scheme of things. And to be honest, it was sort of fun, and surely
    educational. : )

Remarkable that those connectors able to "seal" so well, without any
    tape? It seems counter-intuitive. It must be a great design.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to Leon on Sat May 21 21:31:52 2022
    On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:18:46 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor Freight doe= >>>>> sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in some s=
    tores

y into a socket. =20

So, riddle me this:

panel to the receptacle) but not on a 50'+ 14 g extension cord from a
    receptacle that's 1' from the panel?

Another consideration, an extension cord adds at least one more
    connection that is a slide fit on both ends. That might introduce
    another source for resistance.

But it's one more connection no matter how long the cord.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krw@notreal.com@21:1/5 to Leon on Sat May 21 21:29:22 2022
    On Sun, 1 May 2022 09:12:27 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

On 5/1/2022 3:01 AM, Bill wrote:
    I'm not familiar with the Performance compressor, but it appears to
    be simi=
    lar to Central Pneumatic 8 gallon, which I own 2 of. Harbor
    Freight doe=
    sn't have this unit listed any more, but units are probably still in
    some s=
    tores

The only thing I can add to other's comments, you likely CAN NOT use
    an ext=
    ension cord to power the Performance. It likely has to be plugged
    directl=
    y into a socket. =20

forget the exact words). I confess, I'm a sucker for a good owners
    manual! ; )

No spraying of flammable liquids in a confined space. DAMN!!!!

Earlier this year I bought a small, rechargeable battery, pruning shears.

The instructions explicitly said to not "grill" the batteries. I have
    to say I was disappointed. I was looking forward to some grilled
    veggies and rechargeable batteries for dinner. ;~)

Tell Elon that.

<https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6283953045001#sp=show-clips>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05