• Don't understand this F2 Lightning, please help

From innovruptly@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Tufarnorth on Sat Jun 1 02:16:17 2019
    On Friday, 7 January 2000 10:00:00 UTC+2, Tufarnorth wrote:
    I just bought an old F2 Lightning Race, EC Lite, and need some help figuring it
    out, please!
    The centerboard seems to have had some type of circular rubber gaskets in
    the cassette that are broken up. Do I need to try to replace these? I also assume I can control the stiffness of centerboard action by tightening/loosening the plastic "nuts" which hold the cassette together on each side?
    The mast track where you put the pin of the foot is marked "in/out", "500N" and"BLOCK". I see that" in/out" enables you to remove the pin and "block " locks it in, what about 500N ? Also, please tell me the use of the small diameter line extending a few inches at the front of the mast track? My
    Mistral Escape has the same thing, what is it ?
    Lastly, does anyone have the specs for this board and its construction?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cindy

Solution for me was to use the rubber drive belt from a vacuum cleaner (powers the rotating brush). If you halve the belt lengthwise carefully with a blade, one belt can provide a gasket for both sides of the CB casette. Do not try to stretch the belt to
    make it fit, if it is a bit small snip it and seat it into the groove. I positioned the small gap toward the bottom to let the casette drain, also less chance of grit entering from the top.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From innovruptly@gmail.com@21:1/5 to innov...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 3 00:44:33 2019
    On Saturday, 1 June 2019 11:16:19 UTC+2, innov...@gmail.com wrote:
    out, please!
    the cassette that are broken up. Do I need to try to replace these? I also
    assume I can control the stiffness of centerboard action by tightening/loosening the plastic "nuts" which hold the cassette together on each side?
    The mast track where you put the pin of the foot is marked "in/out", "500N" and"BLOCK". I see that" in/out" enables you to remove the pin and "block " locks it in, what about 500N ? Also, please tell me the use of the
    small diameter line extending a few inches at the front of the mast track? My
    Lastly, does anyone have the specs for this board and its construction?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cindy

Solution for me was to use the rubber drive belt from a vacuum cleaner (powers the rotating brush). If you halve the belt lengthwise carefully with a blade, one belt can provide a gasket for both sides of the CB casette. Do not try to stretch the belt
    to make it fit, if it is a bit small snip it and seat it into the groove. I positioned the small gap toward the bottom to let the casette drain, also less chance of grit entering from the top.

I hope this describes the CB issue better.
    The f2 lightning CB has two rubber rings on either side of the CB cassette which provides friction
    against the CB. The CB of earlier f2 lightnings contained a rubber that provided resistance against the
    cassette surface. The 1989 f2 lighting design sees a circular rubber gasket fixed in a groove on either
    side of the cassette, the CB has a teflon ring on wither side that mates with the exposed surface of the
    gasket. CB pressure against the gasket can be adjusted using the pivot bolt.

This CB rubber gasket perishes, I found that a vacuum cleaner drive belt is an inexpensive solution.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Turner@21:1/5 to innov...@gmail.com on Fri May 14 15:14:30 2021
    Help please
    Just picked up a 1990 (I think) F2 Lightning, but the daggerboard is not the correct one, it doesn't fit properly. Any ideas?

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 8:44:34 AM UTC+1, innov...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, 1 June 2019 11:16:19 UTC+2, innov...@gmail.com wrote:
    out, please!
    the cassette that are broken up. Do I need to try to replace these? I also
    assume I can control the stiffness of centerboard action by tightening/loosening the plastic "nuts" which hold the cassette together on
    each side?
    The mast track where you put the pin of the foot is marked "in/out", "500N" and"BLOCK". I see that" in/out" enables you to remove the pin and "block " locks it in, what about 500N ? Also, please tell me the use of the
    small diameter line extending a few inches at the front of the mast track? My
    Lastly, does anyone have the specs for this board and its construction? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cindy

Solution for me was to use the rubber drive belt from a vacuum cleaner (powers the rotating brush). If you halve the belt lengthwise carefully with a blade, one belt can provide a gasket for both sides of the CB casette. Do not try to stretch the
    belt to make it fit, if it is a bit small snip it and seat it into the groove. I positioned the small gap toward the bottom to let the casette drain, also less chance of grit entering from the top.
    I hope this describes the CB issue better.
    The f2 lightning CB has two rubber rings on either side of the CB cassette which provides friction
    against the CB. The CB of earlier f2 lightnings contained a rubber that provided resistance against the
    cassette surface. The 1989 f2 lighting design sees a circular rubber gasket fixed in a groove on either
    side of the cassette, the CB has a teflon ring on wither side that mates with the exposed surface of the
    gasket. CB pressure against the gasket can be adjusted using the pivot bolt.

This CB rubber gasket perishes, I found that a vacuum cleaner drive belt is an inexpensive solution.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Atherton@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 25 15:45:06 2021
    I just picked up an F2 Lightning with a daggerboard. If interested I can email a pic of both. I'm trying to figure out which model/year Lightning I have. It has a large pink and purple F2 logo on the very top with a lightning bolt going through the F
    and Lightning written in a yellow brush script font right under the F2 logo.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05