• The older windsurfer

From josephaguthrieviii11@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 29 18:44:08 2015
    ArtLaffer. I started windsurfing 30 years ago at age 38. Now 68 and retired in the tropics, I sail at every opportunity during our sailing season, which extends from November to May. My aspiration is to sail until I am age eighty. Changes I have noticed
    over the years are an inability to stay out as long as I once could without becoming exhausted. Also, I find that, instead of resorting to brute strength, I'm more apt to avail of a less strenuous means of accomplishing a maneuver e.g. draining the water
    from a 10.4 sail before uphauling it. Also, whereas before I was a cambered big sail man, I am discovering the virtues of smaller, RAF sails, precisely positioned.
    I was never a speed demon. The principle attraction of windsurfing for me was to get out in the wind and the wave- experience the wild heart of life. This is not to say that I forsaken my quest for my personal Holy Grail--competence at performing the
    power jibe. Will that goal be forever beyond my grasp? 0nly time will tell.
    On the days I am not windsurfing, I find that walking 30 minutes a day has a salutory effect on my endurance on the water. Art Laffer, Subic Bay, Philippines.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dmellor4@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 3 16:30:48 2015
    I'm 66 and still sailing. I've never been an agressive, wave jumping, blasting the Gorge guy, but have enjoyed local sailing here in northern Michigan and Lac Bay on Bonaire. Just do what you can. Be realistic about your abilities and the conditions.
    If you're not Laird, don't pretend you are.
    Peace man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From carpenterdel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 20 11:42:42 2016
    Jim Drake first windsurfed in May, 1967 at the age of 38. He might have windsurfed in 46 seasons by the time of his death in 2012 at the age of 83. Does anyone know for sure? The people at Starboard would know, but might not be willing to tell.

My goal is to match what I think is Jim Drake's record of 46 seasons. I started at age 41, I'm now 73 and need 13 more seasons (age 86) to have 46 seasons.l

At the USWA Nationals in Corpus Christi, TX in May 2016 the oldest competitor was Joanne Marriott age 77. I was the 2nd oldest. Both of us were in the Kona class. We tied, but she is still a better sailor than I am.

I believe someone, possibly Bruce Matlack has surpassed the 46 seasons mark. Anyone know for sure?

Good winds,
    Delburn Carpenter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From josephaguthrieviii11@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 29 18:33:22 2015
    Started windsurfing 30 years ago at age 38. Now 68 and retired in the tropics, I sail at every opportunity during our sailing season, which extends from November to May. My aspiration is to sail until I am age eighty. Changes I have noticed over the
    years are an inability to stay out as long as I once could without becoming exhausted. Also, I find that, instead of resorting to brute strength, I'm more apt to avail of a less strenuous means of accomplishing a maneuver e.g. draining the water from a
    10.4 sail before uphauling it. Also, whereas before I was a cambered big sail man, I am discovering the virtues of smaller, RAF sails, precisely positioned.
    I was never a speed demon. The principle attraction of windsurfing for me was to get out in the wind and the wave- experience the wild heart of life. This is not to say that I forsaken my quest for my personal Holy Grail--competence at performing the
    power jibe. Will that goal be forever beyond my grasp? 0nly time will tell.
    On the days I am not windsurfing, I find that walking 30 minutes a day has a salutory effect on my endurance on the water. Art Ladder, Subic Bay, Philippines.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Burke@21:1/5 to dmel...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 7 11:44:23 2022
    Male, age 75, started in my early 50's. Windsurf year round, endless summer.

A fit, dedicated person with patience and access to good learning conditions can learn at any age.

Hoping to get more air on my off-the-lips this year.

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 5:30:49 PM UTC-7, dmel...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm 66 and still sailing. I've never been an agressive, wave jumping, blasting the Gorge guy, but have enjoyed local sailing here in northern Michigan and Lac Bay on Bonaire. Just do what you can. Be realistic about your abilities and the conditions.
    If you're not Laird, don't pretend you are.
    Peace man.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christine Car@21:1/5 to Ken Spencer on Sat Dec 17 14:16:54 2022
    I started in July 1984 at age 41. Still windsurfing longboards this year at age 79. Most recent racing event was on a Kona One with an 8.2 sail on Lake Winnebago at Fond du in late Sept. 2022.
    I also use windsurfing rigs on whatever "board" fits the available surface (water, ice, packed snow, or parking lots). I've sailed with a windsurfing rig in Iowa every month in a row since March 1994 standing on windsurfers, modified toboggans,
    longboard skateboards & in recent years sitting down on trikes like a Blokart. 345 months in a row. Will be 346 when I add this month. See my YouTube channel (search for Delburn Carpenter). The best part about adding the land sailing is the easy
    availability of parking lots. I've had fun on lots as small 50 ft by 150 ft. Often church, school, office building & retail business lots are lighted at night so going after 9:00 pm is easy. Lots at doctor's office are usually available by late
    afternoon. I always wear a serious helmet when land sailing which not only makes me safer, it also helps me look safe to any security people. Sit-down land sailing on a trike is very safe, & is the easiest kind of sailing to learn. When I have a new
    student now, I teach the sailing part first on a sit-down trike because balance isn't an issue. Yoga is excellent for flexibility & balance...it is also easy to learn, easy to do at home. I've never wave sailed, never water started; but I've windsurfed
    in each of the 50 United States and in 11 foreign countries. I've raced at USWA sanctioned events in 6 states.

On Friday, June 19, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Ken Spencer wrote:
    For you older windsurfers(40+), how realistic is it to sail
    in your 40's, 50's or even beyond? As someone who is just
    getting into the sport at age 40 I wonder if it's worth it
    to continue. Do the injuries or risk of injuries just not
    make it practical to continue in the sport? If you've been
    able to continue, are there things you've done to extend
    your careers like sailing in lower wind conditions, no wave
    sailing, cutting back on the time on water, etc. Have you
    taken any preventative measures like: strength training,
    flexibility training, steroids?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05